Marriage

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by pandulce321, Jun 2, 2008.

1. pandulce321

pandulce321 Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    My boyfriend proposed to me this weekend. He is going to be a 3rd year and I will be starting my first year. We have both already filed our FAFSA for the year. Would there be any benefit to getting married, for legal purposes, as a way of easing our loan burden. His parents make too much money, therefore he receives mostly GRAD Plus loans. My family has a much lower EFC, making me eligible for institutional loans and grants. Would we be able to refile our FAFSA?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    How old is he? Even if he isn't 24 yet I believe that the fact that he's pursuing a doctorate program alone qualifies him (and us) as not having to include our parents' info on the FAFSA.

Has he specifically asked the fin aid office there if he has to include his parents' info or has he just been doing it out of habit?

4. elderjack21

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You could refile your FAFSA...but for the purposes of the federal government, if you are a grad student, you already don't have to include your parents income.

So, the real people you need to talk to are the ones in your school's financial aid office. All schools work this differently. Some require you to do a separate "need analysis" worksheet...so getting married may not really change anything, then again it, may. You should probably talk to them to figure out what is the next best step.

BTW- Marriage is awesome.

5. gman33

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Talk to your school. It probably won't make any difference.
    My school requires you to provide parental info to be considered for any school funding. That would still be YOUR parents and it wouldn't matter if you were married.

6. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

As was mentioned earlier, it is an institutional decision to include parental income in awarding grants. Mine wanted parental income too, though I have been married for several years. No parental income information=no consideration for grants.

Regarding GRAD Plus loans--Stafford loans are not income dependent. Bill Gates' children would qualify for the same amount of Staffords as your future husband and you. Hopefully he is getting mostly Staffords and a few Grad PLUS (or is it GRAD Plus?) rather than the other way around.

The unsubsidized Staffords are another matter, but as a full time med student, you should still qualify for the max on that as well. Regardless of parental income.

7. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The previous posts were good. It is unlikely you will be eligible for any more need based aid if you were married. If you weren't eligible for perkins loans from your school already getting married probably won't help. Re-filing the FAFSA is pointless because your school does that paperwork anyway. Talk to your financial aid office.