Marrying a resident of another state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if one can be considered a resident of another state (according to dental schools) if their spouse is a resident of the other state? Does this hold even if the two spouses live separately in other states?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear this mentioned previously though I'm not 100% sure:

Usually the state you pay your income taxes to is the state you legally reside in. (or your parents if you are a dependent).

Like I said, I'm not sure so don't quote me on it. :D

Hmm, does anyone else know for sure?

So even if you are married, you are not a resident of your spouse's state -- but a resident of the state that you pay your income taxes to?

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorSaab said:
Does anyone know if one can be considered a resident of another state (according to dental schools) if their spouse is a resident of the other state? Does this hold even if the two spouses live separately in other states?
Yes and No. It depends.

Check the school's requirements for in-state residency.

When I interviewed at Maryland, the lady told me the only way for me to be considered their residency is to marry their resident.

I'm pretty sure most schools need some type of proof of residency. Marriage maybe a loop hole, but for the most part they'll ask for something like taxes, bills, or something proving you lived there. Then again, they may not ask for anything at all! :D