DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know if one can be considered a resident of another state (according to dental schools) if their spouse is a resident of the other state? Does this hold even if the two spouses live separately in other states?

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
Queens, NY
www.iloveny.com
Status
I hear this mentioned previously though I'm not 100% sure:

Usually the state you pay your income taxes to is the state you legally reside in. (or your parents if you are a dependent).

Like I said, I'm not sure so don't quote me on it. :D

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Hmm, does anyone else know for sure?

So even if you are married, you are not a resident of your spouse's state -- but a resident of the state that you pay your income taxes to?

About the Ads

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
DoctorSaab said:
Does anyone know if one can be considered a resident of another state (according to dental schools) if their spouse is a resident of the other state? Does this hold even if the two spouses live separately in other states?
Yes and No. It depends.

Check the school's requirements for in-state residency.

grr123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2004
Visit site
Status
When I interviewed at Maryland, the lady told me the only way for me to be considered their residency is to marry their resident.

jred378

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'm pretty sure most schools need some type of proof of residency. Marriage maybe a loop hole, but for the most part they'll ask for something like taxes, bills, or something proving you lived there. Then again, they may not ask for anything at all! :D

About the Ads