Texas resident, wanting to stay in state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningonmatcha

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current Texas resident, and wish to stay in Texas for dental school. If I were to be accepted to any in-state school over an out of state school I would 100% stay in state. Would it be logical to only apply to all Texas schools though TMDSAS, and not consider applying out of state at all through AADSAS? Trying to not potentially waste time and money by applying out of state. My stats are average, currently working full time as a dental assistant, and am taking classes at a local college to help further boost my undergrad gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current Texas resident, and wish to stay in Texas for dental school. If I were to be accepted to any in-state school over an out of state school I would 100% stay in state. Would it be logical to only apply to all Texas schools though TMDSAS, and not consider applying out of state at all through AADSAS? Trying to not potentially waste time and money by applying out of state. My stats are average, currently working full time as a dental assistant, and am taking classes at a local college to help further boost my undergrad gpa.
average for texas matriculation?
or nationwide matriculation?
easier to answer if you just tell us your stats...

Former TX resident/dental student here. I applied to all TX dental schools and a few out of state programs back in the day. I had a friends that did the "TX or bust" way when applying. It worked out for some, it didn't work out for others. Your odds for TX and most dental schools will largely be determined by your DAT/GPA/SGPA. I think in the mid 2010s the average stats for TX dental schools were 3.6-3.7 and 20 DAT. Last time I checked in the 2020s, it was up to 3.7-3.8 with a 21 DAT. My mindset at the time was that if I didn't get into any TX dental schools, would I be willing to go out of state? For me, that was a yes. I didn't want the risk of not getting in, taking the year off and re-applying. I get you may waste some money applying out of state but it will depend on how much risk/peace of mind you want.

**Private OOS dental schools will obviously have way higher tuitions. I am looking at this from an acceptance perspective in general. Finances can and will influence if you want to pursue dentistry at any cost.

Reactions: 1 user