Maryland, Temple, UConn, Pitt, or Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richard4pa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, I am thinking that I will go into general dentistry. I have been able to eliminate Lecom and NYU, but I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding beyond that point. If you were in my situation, which would you choose and why? I am a PA resident.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, I am thinking that I will go into general dentistry. I have been able to eliminate Lecom and NYU, but I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding beyond that point. If you were in my situation, which would you choose and why? I am a PA resident.

Empty your coin jar at Columbia, there are several posts on all schools in question, is another post really necessary or you too lazy to read the other ones:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Temple. Unmatched patient pool and clinical program next to NYU.

I think the top 3 patient pools are probably NYU, Temple, and Detroit Mercy. But, you're in state at temple and benefit from in state tuition. Columbia is expensive but gives you Ivy edge - but if you're into general dentistry then that might not be necessary for you. Maryland is great, but doesn't have as good a patient pool as Temple. UConn is also great, but has a medical curriculum and a lot of people specialize coming out of UConn, so if you don't want that it might not be for you, either. I don't know a lot of about Pitt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple. Unmatched patient pool and clinical program next to NYU.

I think the top 3 patient pools are probably NYU, Temple, and Detroit Mercy. But, you're in state at temple and benefit from in state tuition. Columbia is expensive but gives you Ivy edge - but if you're into general dentistry then that might not be necessary for you. Maryland is great, but doesn't have as good a patient pool as Temple. UConn is also great, but has a medical curriculum and a lot of people specialize coming out of UConn, so if you don't want that it might not be for you, either. I don't know a lot of about Pitt.

What do you think about the patient pool/clinical opportunities at UConn vs. a place like Maryland or Pittsburgh. UConn seems way too obsessed with with MED SCHOOL and seems to care/worry less about the technical training of being a dentist.

From what I hear if you want to be a general dentist you shouldn't go to Columbia because I hear most people get there clinical experience there during there specialty. I would suggest going to either Maryland or temple, which are both excellent clinical experiences and will make you a great general dentist.

What do you think about the patient pool/clinical opportunities at UConn vs. a place like Maryland or Pittsburgh. UConn seems way too obsessed with with MED SCHOOL and seems to care/worry less about the technical training of being a dentist.
I agree to a certain extent. UConn is in a rural area, and a lot of their patients come there from the Hartford area via bus and the like. I've heard mixed reviews on the medical school curriculum. But, I think that's why a lot of people specialize coming out of UConn. If someone had a predisposition to go for Oral Surgery, UConn might appeal to said person because they might be better prepared for the entrance exam, which is essentially the medical school USMLE step 1.

But, for general dentistry alone, after 4 years, I think you'd know more about general dentistry at a place like Temple over a UConn or a Columbia.

Empty your coin jar at Columbia, there are several posts on all schools in question, is another post really necessary or you too lazy to read the other ones:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I should have specified that I did look through some of the other topics, but I am looking for more opinions. The posts have been helpful. I liked Maryland and Temple the most during my interview days, and the general consensus seems to be leaning toward those two schools for general dentistry.

I have a few notes/suggestions:

Many people change their minds concerning whether or not they want to specialize in dental school. People specialize coming from all of the schools you listed so no worries there.

Other factors to consider are location, cost and clinical preparation.

If you're dead set on being a GP, the school you go to has a significant affect on where you'll settle down (unless you do a GPR/AEGD). If you want to stay close to family, pick a closer school.

Cost of dental school is often a factor driving people to specialize. If you go to the cheapest school, you'll be able to pay off your loans sooner and will be able to prepare to build your own practice sooner as a GP. Conversely, many students I know who go to Columbia and Penn have a greater drive to specialize-their rational being that they passed up often cheaper state schools to attend the best schools and compete with the best dental students so it's a waste if they don't gun for specialties. On the other hand, if you're a really good student and after going to a state dental school, specialize where you're a state resident, you're basically winning the lottery twice because you've paid instate tuition for dental school and residency.

People stress clinical preparation a lot on SDN. The importance of this factor in your decision depends on where you want to practice. Several states require a residency so clinical preparation isn't all that important since you'll be doing a GPR. IMHO, a GPR is a great experience if you're planning on being a GP, giving you an environment where you can build up hand skills/speed/confidence outside of school, be salaried, and make yourself more employable. Thus, I would pass up an excellent clinic-oriented school like Temple for your cheapest option, especially if you have to pay more than 1 year's difference between an associate's and GPR salary.

Last edited:
I would not choose UMB period. You can ask me any specific questions you have about the school.

A classmate made this video, you will to learn everything about the school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc7acAWlSZA

Cons:

1. classes are too full
2. budget cuts, school lost 13 professors and not replacing them all last year
3. not enough clinic chairs
4. students are too competitive and cut throat (there isn't a great sense of community)
5. hard to find patients and retain patients for specific treatments and requirements
6. too much focus (in my opinion) on research and didatic studies versus clinic
7. too much extra bull**** work, like papers
8. not enough focus on clinical, too much red tape to get through just to get procedures done
9. tough perio department

I am a D3 student at Maryland. Its shiny outside but heartless inside.

I would not choose UMB period. You can ask me any specific questions you have about the school.

A classmate made this video, you will to learn everything about the school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc7acAWlSZA

Cons:

1. classes are too full
2. budget cuts, school lost 13 professors and not replacing them all last year
3. not enough clinic chairs
4. students are too competitive and cut throat (there isn't a great sense of community)
5. hard to find patients and retain patients for specific treatments and requirements
6. too much focus (in my opinion) on research and didatic studies versus clinic
7. too much extra bull**** work, like papers
8. not enough focus on clinical, too much red tape to get through just to get procedures done
9. tough perio department

I am a D3 student at Maryland. Its shiny outside but heartless inside.
Interesting. I've heard bad things said about various schools, but I've never heard it out of Maryland.

Temple or Uconn fer sheezy.

But if you're set on specializing, go to Columbia. But it doesn't mean your sex appeal will go up, much to many Ivy League attendees' dismay.

I would go to UConn!

But, as it has been stated over and over again. Unless the advice is coming from a dental student (of course even that opinon is skewed), don't trust any predent's advice because they have ulterior motives (like they are on the waiting lists for the schools they are deterring you from).

I'm trying to decide between Maryland and UConn. This is so hard. Dual deposit??

IF you are confident that you are going into gen dent, it is not going to matter what school you go to. Also do not forget that the size of the patient pool does not indicate good clinical experience or even good exposure. For example, lets say you have a large, but poor patient population - you will get very good at extractions and cleanings, but might not get much practice with crowns or endo. An awful lot of grads learn more about dentistry their first year out than they ever did in school. Even then, no matter what school you do go do, a year out of school you will be in the same spot clinically. However, you will NOT be in the same spot financially. Said another way, go to a school that will set you up the best financially (IMO) so that you can focus more on the dentistry, and not on the money. Hope this helps :)

Last edited: