maryland vs ohio state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmh309

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
both have similar ranks on usnews. Both have great clinical education, but location-wise OSU seems more attractive. Maryland' match list (from SDN thread) kicks ass though. Plus, it's way cheaper. I am leaning a bit towards Maryland at this point....thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

both have similar ranks on usnews. Both have great clinical education, but location-wise OSU seems more attractive. Maryland' match list (from SDN thread) kicks ass though. Plus, it's way cheaper. I am leaning a bit towards Maryland at this point....thanks in advance

:laugh: There is a first time for everything...

I say go to UMD. It is awesome, cheaper, and a great school. Congrats on these great acceptances...

:laugh: There is a first time for everything...
I disagree no one in their right mind would say Baltimore is better than Columbus.

Columbus>>>>>>>Compton>>>>>>>>Baghdad >>>>>>>>>>>Calcutta >>>>>>Fascist Germany 1982>>>>>>>Baltimore

Baltimore is literally the worst city in the world, no joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS

There are nice parts of Baltimore. About one city block worth.

Maryland's Trauma Hospital is legit.

It's cheaper, as you say.

DC is only about a 40 minute drive.

and again

TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS TERPS

I disagree no one in their right mind would say Baltimore is better than Columbus.

Columbus>>>>>>>Compton>>>>>>>>Baghdad >>>>>>>>>>>Calcutta >>>>>>Fascist Germany 1982>>>>>>>Baltimore

Baltimore is literally the worst city in the world, no joke.

Hey! I grew up and work here! It is by no means the worst city in the world, and considering the fact that I work in a methadone clinic with one of the least desirable demographics in all of Baltimore City...its not that bad. If you can't handle it now, then you have no business being a doctor. Yes, there are less than stellar parts (just ask anyone about Lexington Market) but Baltimore has a lot to offer. You just need to branch out beyond the Inner Harbor.

And cost? Much cheaper??? Duh.

Hey! I grew up and work here! It is by no means the worst city in the world, and considering the fact that I work in a methadone clinic with one of the least desirable demographics in all of Baltimore City...its not that bad. If you can't handle it now, then you have no business being a doctor. Yes, there are less than stellar parts (just ask anyone about Lexington Market) but Baltimore has a lot to offer. You just need to branch out beyond the Inner Harbor.

Hey I actually love Lexington market (its right next to the med school too.) The food may not be of the best quality, but its ridiculously cheap, and you get heaping portions of it. Plus the selection is huuuuuge. I never understood why every stall was run by Asians though.

Theres also that live music to jive too, all in all it's a very cultural place.

I cannot imagine that an apartment in maryland would be less expensive or equally to that of one in the short north or german village in C-bus... However, I guess the tuition at OSU would negate at savings found there....

If everything else is equal, go with the cheaper school.... However, I would say seeing the spectacle that is buckeye football is pretty amazing.....Almost worth the dough...:cool:

I cannot imagine that an apartment in maryland would be less expensive or equally to that of one in the short north or german village in C-bus... However, I guess the tuition at OSU would negate at savings found there....

If everything else is equal, go with the cheaper school.... However, I would say seeing the spectacle that is buckeye football is pretty amazing.....Almost worth the dough...:cool:

You can watch the Ravens game in Baltimore?

I pay $600/month (+utilities) for a nice town/rowhouse. Not exactly the $300/month rent I paid in college, but still not too shabby.

Hey I actually love Lexington market (its right next to the med school too.) The food may not be of the best quality, but its ridiculously cheap, and you get heaping portions of it. Plus the selection is huuuuuge. I never understood why every stall was run by Asians though.

Theres also that live music to jive too, all in all it's a very cultural place.

Well, I know the food is cheap (I go there for lunch too - but I like Ann's Cafe since it's right around the corner for me and has decent food), but its also a major hub of drug dealing - probably the most reliable place in the whole city for people seeking something...if you didn't notice...

You're not objective. Trust me, it is the worst city in the world.

You're not objective. Trust me, it is the worst city in the world.

Then I'd like to see an objective argument.

You hate Baltimore, fine. I don't. OP has a right to different opinions.

Are you kidding me? You guys are acting like the only parts about Baltimore that you know about is from watching the Wire. In fact, I wouldn't put it past some of you to have based your opinions on Baltimore solely on the Wire..

Members don't see this ad :)
I will admit that I'm definitely biased (#1, I attend UMB, and #2, I believe that the state of Ohio should be airlifted out of the Union, dropped into the North Atlantic, and that Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania should be sewn back together), but seriously, if Maryland is the cheaper school, go there. Nobody hates Baltimore more than I do, but even I don't regret my decision to attend Maryland - the caliber of the students and faculty here makes up for any geographical disadvantage. The city itself really isn't as bad as some posters have made it out to be. The really "bad" areas are avoidable, and there is definitely more than a square block's worth of nice parts - Mount Vernon, Charles Village, Canton, Fells Point, and Federal Hill are all very nice, safe places. It's a bit more expensive to live in these areas, but definitely worth it.

I agree with every single thing LW said, but I must add that Michigan should be excised from the US along with Ohio. Nothing personal, you know.

Are you kidding me? You guys are acting like the only parts about Baltimore that you know about is from watching the Wire. In fact, I wouldn't put it past some of you to have based your opinions on Baltimore solely on the Wire..

I am guessing you have never been to Baltimore. If you have, than you should know that most of Baltimore is the wire. Sure any city has it's bad areas but Baltimore tricks you into thinking you are in a good part of town, and then a block later people are dealing crack and stealing cars(Ex. Camden Yards).

God I can't even count how many times that damn show comes up when people talk about quality of living around here...its hilarious.

But to be perfectly honest, I did see a body getting pulled out of the Inner Harbor last week while getting dinner. Not the most pleasant thing.

I am guessing you have never been to Baltimore. If you have, than you should know that most of Baltimore is the wire. Sure any city has it's bad areas but Baltimore tricks you into thinking you are in a good part of town, and then a block later people are dealing crack and stealing cars(Ex. Camden Yards).

Your guess is way off. I went to undergrad in Baltimore, and I've seen everything I needed to see in 4 years. As a runner, I've seen a lot of Baltimore on my long runs, even East Baltimore by Hopkins Bayview. There are lots of things to do and places to see without having to fear for your life outside of Inner Harbor. I would argue that Philadelphia, where I've been living for the past two years, can be more dangerous overall. While Baltimore definitely isn't the "Greatest City in America", I think it gets a worse rap than it actually deserves.

But anyway, trying not to digress too much from the OP's original post, I would suggest that while paying less in tuition still matters, "cheaper" doesn't matter as much in this case because if you go to Ohio State, you pay OOS tuition just for the first year if you go through the process of becoming an Ohio resident, and pay in-state tuition for the next 3 years afterwards. So if you felt like you really liked Ohio State and Columbus (which certainly has its rough, dangerous spots) then I wouldn't let tuition worries hold me back in going.

Your guess is way off. I went to undergrad in Baltimore, and I've seen everything I needed to see in 4 years. As a runner, I've seen a lot of Baltimore on my long runs, even East Baltimore by Hopkins Bayview. There are lots of things to do and places to see without having to fear for your life outside of Inner Harbor. I would argue that Philadelphia, where I've been living for the past two years, can be more dangerous overall. While Baltimore definitely isn't the "Greatest City in America", I think it gets a worse rap than it actually deserves.

2751508779_ddbe86e836.jpg

If a bench says it, it must be true :)

Sorry, I'm done. Maybe you need to go to second looks, OP? I know Maryland doesn't have one but I'm sure you could arrange a visit or something to take a look around the area.

Is Baltimore seriously that bad? When I was there for my UMD interview, I was walking at night with my suitcase and I did not get mugged or anything? Infact the people seemed rather nice, as did the location...

yes, I'm considering second looks at both schools. My interview experiences were great at both places, and I felt that I was a good fit. So, it's really tough to decide after factoring out the tuition difference. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

Great, now the little ones are scared.

Is Baltimore seriously that bad? When I was there for my UMD interview, I was walking at night with my suitcase and I did not get mugged or anything? Infact the people seemed rather nice, as did the location...

No, no, no. Its not that bad. Nor is not "that" bad, just for clarification. I as a female, however, would not have been walking around with a suitcase at night because it may as well have been a target on my back. Baltimore is notorious for its murder rate, especially among young Black men, and an significantly large population of herion and opiate abusers. Just like many major cities. And its not for a lack of trying on behalf of the Baltimore City Health Department - you see the same thing around Hopkins even though they are buying up property around the medical campus like its going out of style to "reclaim" it. Maryland is no different.

If you're not comfortable in an urban environment then its not the place for you, but if you thought it was fine and liked the location, great! For some people it takes getting used to. In the immediate area around the medical school, head towards the Harbor and you're golden. Try to avoid the opposite direction (chances are you'd never go anyway) but even if you do, you're not going to get assaulted/mugged/whatever. Its just not as pretty as everyone wants it to be.

PS - I thought you are looking at UTSW anyway?

Great, now the little ones are scared.

No, no, no. Its not that bad. Nor is not "that" bad, just for clarification. I as a female, however, would not have been walking around with a suitcase at night because it may as well have been a target on my back. Baltimore is notorious for its murder rate, especially among young Black men, and an significantly large population of herion and opiate abusers. Just like many major cities. And its not for a lack of trying on behalf of the Baltimore City Health Department - you see the same thing around Hopkins even though they are buying up property around the medical campus like its going out of style to "reclaim" it. Maryland is no different.

If you're not comfortable in an urban environment then its not the place for you, but if you thought it was fine and liked the location, great! For some people it takes getting used to. In the immediate area around the medical school, head towards the Harbor and you're golden. Try to avoid the opposite direction (chances are you'd never go anyway) but even if you do, you're not going to get assaulted/mugged/whatever. Its just not as pretty as everyone wants it to be.

PS - I thought you are looking at UTSW anyway?

Oh okay...Thanks!

Oh and As of right now, I am going to UTSW, but I am waiting on finaid from UMD and VCU to make my final decision... I loved all three of these schools, which is why I am still holding offers from them, when I withdrew from the rest... if they can beat UTSW's price, I may go there...

Oh okay...Thanks!

Oh and As of right now, I am going to UTSW, but I am waiting on finaid from UMD and VCU to make my final decision... I loved all three of these schools, which is why I am still holding offers from them, when I withdrew from the rest... if they can beat UTSW's price, I may go there...

YAY!!!! So there's a possibility we could still end up at the same school! :D

No city can be more dangerous than Oakland.

yes, I'm considering second looks at both schools. My interview experiences were great at both places, and I felt that I was a good fit. So, it's really tough to decide after factoring out the tuition difference. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

I think you should give more weight to the financial part...