Maryland

Started by meddoc1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when they end interviews? I have one tomorrow (the 30th) and am trying to get an idea of what my odds are...I go to a school in-state so Dr. Foxwell will say that the school "reserves" slots for those students (which I'm not too confident about) and I know only one other person that got in from my school.

I'm hoping they have at least some acceptances left, but I doubt they'd tell me anything.
 
Anyone know when they end interviews? I have one tomorrow (the 30th) and am trying to get an idea of what my odds are...I go to a school in-state so Dr. Foxwell will say that the school "reserves" slots for those students (which I'm not too confident about) and I know only one other person that got in from my school.

I'm hoping they have at least some acceptances left, but I doubt they'd tell me anything.
Lucid was saying that there are seats in the class throughout the interview cycle.

BTW, only College Park has reserved seats according to an earlier post. During my interview, Dr. Foxwell said that post-interview, in-state applicants and OOS applicants have equal odds of being accepted.
 
UMD, as a public school, gives preference to Maryland residences, not from specific colleges. UMD:College Park has 30,000 kids or something, many of whom are MD residences, so its no surprise that College Park makes up a significant portion of in-state students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when they end interviews? I have one tomorrow (the 30th) and am trying to get an idea of what my odds are...I go to a school in-state so Dr. Foxwell will say that the school "reserves" slots for those students (which I'm not too confident about) and I know only one other person that got in from my school.

I'm hoping they have at least some acceptances left, but I doubt they'd tell me anything.

Interviews are almost every Monday and Wednesday through March 31st. There are still acceptances to be given out.

The school interviews more in-state students than out-of-state students. Additionally, if Dr. Foxwell told koko that there is an equal chance of being accepted regardless of state resident status then you should listen to that. Dr. Foxwell wouldn't lie.
 
Hey Lucid,
Do you know what day of the week Maryland sends acceptance letters generally? I figured if they only interview mondays and wednesdays, then maybe they meet and send letters on thursdays or fridays?
THR
 
I think he also said that they try to look out for people from DE and DC because there aren't any state schools there. I know that they are definitly governed by your state status, but since you have an interview, I won't worry about it tpo much. You can't change yolur state or school so just do your best and let the chips fall where they may. UMD (despite being an ACC rival of UVA) is a wonderful school, with students who all seem really cool and a non competative atmosphere. Dr. Foxerll is also a really good guy, who I think is really representative of the school. G'luck in your interview!
 
I think my interviews went well, but the first one wasn't very structured and there wasn't a whole lot of question/answer exchanges, it was more of a conversation. Kind of hard to guage my performance based on that, but I think my second interview (with a student) went pretty well. They are definitely more laid-back in their interview style.

I'll just have to wait and see. The environment is incredible though, and the first and second years I talked to said students are much more cooperative than competitive. Definitely reaffirmed it as my first choice school.

I don't know if a LOI would help, suggestions?


PS: Dr. Foxwell said yesterday that UMB does give preferential treatment to in-state residents because he feels "those students better adjust" than OOS. But I would agree that as a result of that they give more interviews to in-state, and post-interview they're equal.

He's come to my school several times mentioning that they school tries to get a "good representation of Maryland universities" in their class, and that spots are loosely reserved...so although UMCP makes up a lot of the class, my school (Towson) isn't too small either. Slots for competitive students from Salisbury, Towson, McDaniel, etc. are less than UMCP but they still consider those schools.
 
Hey Lucid,
Do you know what day of the week Maryland sends acceptance letters generally? I figured if they only interview mondays and wednesdays, then maybe they meet and send letters on thursdays or fridays?
THR

Actually I have no idea about this. Thinking back to receiving my letter I want to say it was on a Friday or Saturday but I really don't remember at all. Sorry.
 
Put on hold today, in-state (though I go to school OOS)
Sorry man. It's odd that you got waitlisted after your interview without getting an on-hold letter. I wonder if they only recently started doing that.

That either means that [1] I'm definitely going on the waitlist since they obviously have no qualms adding people to it or [2] I can still be accepted since they would've waitlisted me instead of putting me on hold.

Edit: Nevermindddd. Situation's still the same. There's only one letter. Woe is I.
 
Oh, well I don't actually have the letter in front of me (it was sent to my parents' house), but I think they said "active consideration" or something like that. I assumed that meant waitlist, is there an "on-hold" list in addition to a "waitlist" list? Which letter did you get?
 
Oh, well I don't actually have the letter in front of me (it was sent to my parents' house), but I think they said "active consideration" or something like that. I assumed that meant waitlist, is there an "on-hold" list in addition to a "waitlist" list? Which letter did you get?
Well the letter that mentions "active consideration" says that they couldn't make up their mind to accept, reject, or waitlist you. It's assumed, however, that we'll eventually be waitlisted since their website and Lucid and others have all said the same thing.

I guess I'll go back to moping since your letter is the same as mine.
 
Well the letter that mentions "active consideration" says that they couldn't make up their mind to accept, reject, or waitlist you. It's assumed, however, that we'll eventually be waitlisted since their website and Lucid and others have all said the same thing.

I guess I'll go back to moping since your letter is the same as mine.
I also got one of those dreadful letters yesterday. You guys aren't alone.
 
I think my interviews went well, but the first one wasn't very structured and there wasn't a whole lot of question/answer exchanges, it was more of a conversation. Kind of hard to guage my performance based on that, but I think my second interview (with a student) went pretty well. They are definitely more laid-back in their interview style.

I'll just have to wait and see. The environment is incredible though, and the first and second years I talked to said students are much more cooperative than competitive. Definitely reaffirmed it as my first choice school.

I don't know if a LOI would help, suggestions?


PS: Dr. Foxwell said yesterday that UMB does give preferential treatment to in-state residents because he feels "those students better adjust" than OOS. But I would agree that as a result of that they give more interviews to in-state, and post-interview they're equal.

He's come to my school several times mentioning that they school tries to get a "good representation of Maryland universities" in their class, and that spots are loosely reserved...so although UMCP makes up a lot of the class, my school (Towson) isn't too small either. Slots for competitive students from Salisbury, Towson, McDaniel, etc. are less than UMCP but they still consider those schools.

Hey I interviewed on the 30th too! Hope we both get in!
 
Anyone know how much weight a letter telling Maryland they are their number one choice in a post-interview hold situation carries?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI, I just received an invitation to interview at Maryland yesterday. It isfor a March 19th date. I have been on hold since since october 2nd. So they must interview at least through March.
 
FYI, I just received an invitation to interview at Maryland yesterday. It isfor a March 19th date. I have been on hold since since october 2nd. So they must interview at least through March.

Congrats on getting off the hold! Did you do anything after getting placed on hold, like send them a letter of interest or updates?
 
Again, interviews go all the way through March 31st, almost every Monday and Wednesday. Monday March 31st is the last day of interviews. Yes, there are still acceptances going out. No, they are not interviewing for waitlist spots.

I myself was accepted after a March interview. Good luck to all.
 
Again, interviews go all the way through March 31st, almost every Monday and Wednesday. Monday March 31st is the last day of interviews. Yes, there are still acceptances going out. No, they are not interviewing for waitlist spots.

I myself was accepted after a March interview. Good luck to all.
Hey Lucid,
What is your opinion of sending a letter to Dean Foxwell saying Maryland is your top choice after getting put on post-int. hold?
Thanks,
THR
 
Congrats on getting off the hold! Did you do anything after getting placed on hold, like send them a letter of interest or updates?
i didn't do anything. i know my advisor sent a letter from schools i hadn't heard anything from (or was on hold for) just after the first of the year, but i didn't write a letter or anything myself.
 
Yea, I interviewed on the 23rd of January and they said they were really trying to get out decisions quickly (he said 2-3 weeks). Anyone heard anything?
 
Hey Lucid,
What is your opinion of sending a letter to Dean Foxwell saying Maryland is your top choice after getting put on post-int. hold?
Thanks,
THR

Letters of Intent and Letters of Interest fall under the heading off "it can't hurt." It definitely won't hurt or hinder your application but there's really no way to know if that one thing will cause any change in your status. Go ahead and send one, at the very least it won't have any effect at all or it could have a positive effect.
 
I was there on the 23rd too, were your interviews pretty relaxed?

Looks form mdapps like 3 weeks is pretty standard for Maryland, but, yeah, I remeber Foxwell saying they were shooting for 2-4 weeks.

Yea, I interviewed on the 23rd of January and they said they were really trying to get out decisions quickly (he said 2-3 weeks). Anyone heard anything?
 
Well, I had three interviews becaue I'm applying for the MD/MPH. Two of my interviews were very relaxed and conversational, and one was a tad more formal. Keep me updated on when/if you hear anything!
 
Well, I had three interviews becaue I'm applying for the MD/MPH. Two of my interviews were very relaxed and conversational, and one was a tad more formal. Keep me updated on when/if you hear anything!

I interviewed for the MD/MPH program in the middle of december and got in about six weeks later. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
 
Hey guys. Interviewed on January 23rd, and called today to see whats up. She said the AdCom hasnt even reviewed the post interview filed. So, a few more weeks of waiting I suppose. Just thought I'd share so you compulsive mail checkers can take a breather. lol
 
Thanks for the info! I'll start checking my mail a little bit less compulsively, I'll post if I hear anything too.

Hey guys. Interviewed on January 23rd, and called today to see whats up. She said the AdCom hasnt even reviewed the post interview filed. So, a few more weeks of waiting I suppose. Just thought I'd share so you compulsive mail checkers can take a breather. lol
 
Hey guys. Interviewed on January 23rd, and called today to see whats up. She said the AdCom hasnt even reviewed the post interview filed. So, a few more weeks of waiting I suppose. Just thought I'd share so you compulsive mail checkers can take a breather. lol

That's quite impressive🙄. Thinking I would hear from them today too... interviewed also on the 23rd. Would be nice to hear something. So push 3-4 wks to 6-8 wks?😱
 
Hey everyone,
I interviewed there on Jan 7 and called yesterday to see if the paper that I had published in Jan. (too late to matter, really, anywhere) would matter- i.e. was a decision rendered yet or could I help swing that decision (if it wasn't yes) in a positive direction.
I was told that the committee had my application, and nothing else could be given to them until after they had made their decision- which they hadn't yet. So I'll "be hearing from them soon." This was repeated throughout the call- so I assume that for some of us even from early January, the committee hasn't even made a decision yet...
Give the mailbox checking a rest for a while.

cheers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SirVertigo,
That's strange cause I interviewed right around when you did and I already received a post-interview hold letter like two weeks ago. I have even sent a letter of interest already and everything. I guess they were so unimpressed with my file it didn't take them long to put me on hold right away. Oh well, good luck to you.
THR
 
Actually,
Just after posting that this afternoon- I got home and had a letter in my mailbox. It was a nice thin rejection letter- regretful of course...but noting that my weaknesses were Secret and that there Would Be No Appealing the Decision.

Ah well. At least I got in at other places.
UMD was pretty sweet though.
 
Just when I stopped compulsivley checking, what shows up? You shouldn't turn your back on your god-given neurosis I guess ... I got the 'you're on a list and you're waiting to hear from us, but we're not calling you waitlisted' letter today. Hmmm, not sure what that means, good luck everyone.

Hey guys. Interviewed on January 23rd, and called today to see whats up. She said the AdCom hasnt even reviewed the post interview filed. So, a few more weeks of waiting I suppose. Just thought I'd share so you compulsive mail checkers can take a breather. lol
 
Just when I stopped compulsivley checking, what shows up? You shouldn't turn your back on your god-given neurosis I guess ... I got the 'you're on a list and you're waiting to hear from us, but we're not calling you waitlisted' letter today. Hmmm, not sure what that means, good luck everyone.
It's a sad letter but hopefully we'll comprise the lucky few who get good news after that letter.
 
Does anyone know if they have accepted anyone that they interviewed in 2008? It seems that everyone who interviewed after the new year has only received post-interview holds or rejections. Can anyone confirm this?
THR
 
It's a sad letter but hopefully we'll comprise the luck few who get good news after that letter.

Thanks for the shout out Koko, I'm in it with you for the long haul and I like that line of reasoning THR, let's see how far we can take it.
 
i interviewed feb 4. They said they were shooting for about 4 weeks but i still haven't heard anything as of yet . . .
 
don't get your hopes up that ull hear in four weeks. I interviewed on Jan. 23rd, and still no word. When I called two days ago, they said the committee still hasn't reviewed my app. I hope you guys have a faster experience, but just letting you know to take this 4 week thing with a grain of salt.
 
don't get your hopes up that ull hear in four weeks. I interviewed on Jan. 23rd, and still no word. When I called two days ago, they said the committee still hasn't reviewed my app. I hope you guys have a faster experience, but just letting you know to take this 4 week thing with a grain of salt.

Maybe the MD/MPH candidates are on a different schedule?
 
Does anyone know when they are going to tell the post-interview hold people whether they are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted?
 
Does anyone know when they are going to tell the post-interview hold people whether they are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted?
Another thread a few weeks ago said in April, they'll be reviewing the apps of interviewed students still in their queue and that they'll review us post-int hold folks in May. Whether it's true, or not, I don't know but it certainly sounds like a reasonable timeline.
 
Does anyone know if they have accepted anyone that they interviewed in 2008? It seems that everyone who interviewed after the new year has only received post-interview holds or rejections. Can anyone confirm this?
THR

I was accepted and I interviewed in 2008.

I don't want to (1) upset anyone or (2) give anyone false hope, but there is hope for 2008 interviewees. Here is a little timeline:

1/25/2008 Interview invitation for MD program (via e-mail)
2/6/2008 Interview (1. MD interviewer, 2. PhD interviewer)
2/26/2008 Acceptance (phone call from Dr. Foxwell, approximately 5:30 PM EST)
2/27/2008 Postmark date for acceptance packet
3/3/2008 (approx.) Received acceptance packet (I know it was received before 3/5 because I went home to get this good news and some bad news from my #1 choice. c'est la vie)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In April, the Admissions Committee will review those who interviewed in March and decide whether to accept, reject, or put on hold those applicants. Then, towards the end of April and the beginning of May, those who have already been put on hold will start to be reviewed for decision upon either an acceptance, rejection, or a wait list spot.
 
Last interview this year will be the 24th.

I can tell you that I was interviewed in March 2006 and was accepted so yes, Maryland does hand out acceptances late into the season.

Post-interview hold people will probably be reviewed in April. Sometimes people are accepted off this list, and most of these people are waitlisted. The waitlist is ranked in 3 tiers. If you are waitlisted you will receive a letter telling you what tier you are in; you'll never ever find out the actual numerical ranking.

Hang tight guys. April and May are usually crazy months at all schools as people withdraw in favor of other school and commit elsewhere. Just take a "wait and see" attitude.
 
hey lucid, did you catch maryland's match list for 2008? it seems like there are a lot of general surgeons coming out this year
 
hey lucid, did you catch maryland's match list for 2008? it seems like there are a lot of general surgeons coming out this year

It looks like a good mix, as always. The match lists for the last 5 years are here. Match lists reflect the interest of the individuals matching moreso than merits of the med school. For example, we have several people each year who match into EM, but that is both a factor of self-selection (many incoming students are interested in EM) and the fact that we have Shock Trauma and our EM rocks. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the surgery people were interested in Trauma Surgery. But eh. The match list looks nice and diverse, as usual, and really that's all that can be really said about it.
 
Has anyone who interviewed on 2/20 heard anything? Wednesday the 19th was exactly four weeks...