Maryland

Started by meddoc1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed on 03/03/08 and have been eagerly waiting by my mailbox. Nothing yet...

...but I'm not worried. I interviewed as an out-of-state (90% of the people there on 03/03 were non-MD residents) applicant, so my chances of getting in are low. Even if I get in, I will have to fight for in-state residency before I attend...

...which is getting me impatient, b/c my state school is pushing me to file my taxes before the close of next week.
 
I interviewed on 03/03/08 and have been eagerly waiting by my mailbox. Nothing yet...

...but I'm not worried. I interviewed as an out-of-state (90% of the people there on 03/03 were non-MD residents) applicant, so my chances of getting in are low. Even if I get in, I will have to fight for in-state residency before I attend...

...which is getting me impatient, b/c my state school is pushing me to file my taxes before the close of next week.
That's interesting. Back in October, there were maybe... 6 OOS applicants and three of them had strong ties to Maryland. I'm surprised that they're interviewing so many OOS applicants for a school that my advisors were persuading me not to add to my AMCAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's interesting. Back in October, there were maybe... 6 OOS applicants and three of them had strong ties to Maryland. I'm surprised that they're interviewing so many OOS applicants for a school that my advisors were persuading me not to add to my AMCAS.

I think its amazing how many interviewees they schedule for each day. On my day there had to be 20 of us. I can't imagine how many faculty/med students that requires for interviewers. Out of the 10 in my student tour group not one of us had the same interviewer.
 
I think its amazing how many interviewees they schedule for each day. On my day there had to be 20 of us. I can't imagine how many faculty/med students that requires for interviewers. Out of the 10 in my student tour group not one of us had the same interviewer.
Yeah I think we had 15 total on my day. I think the morning/afternoon interviews help their load, though. Only like... 5 of us were done by the time we went on the tour.
 
I interviewed on 03/03/08 and have been eagerly waiting by my mailbox. Nothing yet...

...but I'm not worried. I interviewed as an out-of-state (90% of the people there on 03/03 were non-MD residents) applicant, so my chances of getting in are low. Even if I get in, I will have to fight for in-state residency before I attend...

...which is getting me impatient, b/c my state school is pushing me to file my taxes before the close of next week.

I'm an OOS and I interviewed fairly late, so don't lose hope, an OOS acceptance is possible.:luck:
 
I wonder if anyone on SDN is interviewing at Maryland today. The Marriott next to the campus had a bustle of cop activity last night, so I hope it didn't make anyone's night too anxious.
 
I wonder if anyone on SDN is interviewing at Maryland today. The Marriott next to the campus had a hustle of cop activity last night, so I hope it didn't make anyone's night too anxious.


Yeah I saw on the news there was a man who shot and killed his children there. Something along those lines.
 
A man from Montgomery County who was involved in a custody dispute with his estranged wife brought his children to Baltimore and drown them in the bathtub at the hotel.
And that's why I stayed at Hampton Inn! That was a great hotel, I felt. Pretty expensive, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you decided where you're headed, BTW?



Not yet . . . I know you're still hanging onto the hope for Maryland, so I'll let you know as soon as I know what I decide! It's between Penn State and Maryland . . . Maryland I know will end up being more expensive, but I'm still waiting to see all the figures in black and white when I get the financial aid packages. I really like both schools, although I like Maryland's location better than Hershey. I really am torn nearly 50/50 . . . I guess I have a few weeks to decide. If I do end up choosing Penn State, I hope my spot at Maryland goes to you! And if I do choose Maryland, I hope someone else's spot goes to you!
 
A man from Montgomery County who was involved in a custody dispute with his estranged wife brought his children to Baltimore and drown them in the bathtub at the hotel.


Shows what I know. That's what I get for only catching part of the blurb leading into the evening news. I stayed at the Holiday Inn for my interview.
 
hahaha... so I got my acceptance letter in the mail today. "welcome to the class of 2011. Orientation will begin August 9, 2007". I laughed my *** off... after all this work, I shouldn't have even bothered applying, because I already got in last year! In fact, I guess that makes me an M1. Saawwweettt...
 
I had to dig this one out. Anybody that is on post-interview hold hear anything or know when we will hear anything? Also, how likely is it that we will get an actual acceptance instead of just a waitlist or rejection at this point in the game?
Thanks
THR
 
I had to dig this one out. Anybody that is on post-interview hold hear anything or know when we will hear anything? Also, how likely is it that we will get an actual acceptance instead of just a waitlist or rejection at this point in the game?
Thanks
THR
No news for me. Another Maryland thread mentioned that adcoms were reviewing the last batch of interviewed students in April and will move onto post-interview holds in May. I'm sure that we can expect word before this month's over.

Traditionally, not very many people have come off the waitlist. Other threads mentioned ~10/year, I think. I'd assume that the number that gets in straight away isn't very encouraging either.

Good luck!
 
If it helps, I sent in my withdrawal letter today...hopefully one of you guys gets my spot!
 
Based on what I've heard "on the wind," the class is oversubscribed right now, just like it is at this time every year. They probably won't get a really good idea of what they're looking at, especially for those on hold, until after May 15th when withdrawals start coming in as people have to commit.
 
When I called the Admissions Office, they told me that the people on hold would hear back before May 15th. Has anyone that is on hold heard back from Dr. Foxwell yet regarding an update on their status?
 
When I called the Admissions Office, they told me that the people on hold would hear back before May 15th. Has anyone that is on hold heard back from Dr. Foxwell yet regarding an update on their status?
Not yet. Either way, I bet we'll start hearing sometime this month.

I've waited a long time already so whether I wait 2 more weeks or 3 more weeks, it doesn't matter to me too much.

Most likely, their decision will just end up in more waiting anyway. (Hopefully haha).
 
Not yet. Either way, I bet we'll start hearing sometime this month.

I've waited a long time already so whether I wait 2 more weeks or 3 more weeks, it doesn't matter to me too much.

Most likely, their decision will just end up in more waiting anyway. (Hopefully haha).
I think if we are lucky we may get a decent spot on the waitlist only. Do you think they will call us or send us a ubiquitous letter?
THR
 
A friend of mine is going to withdraw her acceptance at OSU this week, and officially choose Maryland. I guess this means one less spot for those waiting, sorry guys. On the other hand, another friend who only got accepted to Maryland is going to defer until next year, so that should help you guys out. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I e-mailed the Admissions Office a LOI last Thursday (May 8th)...Do you think that they had a chance to read that during the Ad Com meeting as well? I'm just asking because I didn't actually give it in person.
 
Nope, but I handed in an LOI to the admissions office on Friday late afternoon, and Kathie told me it wasnt too late to be read during the post-interview hold discussions ...
I'm kinda happy that there's still a discussion taking place... as opposed to the pulling of our names out of a hat. I wonder how many of us will actually make it onto the waitlist.

Good luck, though, everyone! I'm sure that you Marylanders will receive your letters before I do so remember to let everyone know when you receive it.
 
I wonder how many of the "hold" people will get straight out acceptances...What has that statistic been in the past?
 
I wonder how many of the "hold" people will get straight out acceptances...What has that statistic been in the past?

I could only find 1 in the SDN archives, out of maybe 25 Holds.

I'll send a telegraph to the West Coast soon as news breaks here.
 
I read the post from last year, they put about 175 ppl on the Wl and they tell you if you are on the upper hald or lower half.... On top that, not many ppl got off the WL even when they are from the upper half. Maybe about 20.

And according to the previous post in this thread, the class is already over subscribe. I wonder how is it possible that ppl can get off the HOLD list and get accepted right out?

I am so nervous now.... :scared:
 
I read the post from last year, they put about 175 ppl on the Wl and they tell you if you are on the upper hald or lower half.... On top that, not many ppl got off the WL even when they are from the upper half. Maybe about 20.

And according to the previous post in this thread, the class is already over subscribe. I wonder how is it possible that ppl can get off the HOLD list and get accepted right out?

I am so nervous now.... :scared:

That sucks... especially the part about the class over filled. Here is to hoping though..
 
That sucks... especially the part about the class over filled. Here is to hoping though..

I think when lucidsplash said the class is oversubscribed, she just meant that, at this point, they have more accepted applicants then they have spots, which pretty much every school always has at this time of year. It might not mean they really think the class will be overbooked or say anything about how the waitlist will move. Not to be overly optimistic ... but I hope we're all reminiscing about this over natty boh and crab cakes by august.
 
You know this thread is going to blow up in the next 1 to 2 days if Maryland keeps their word...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know this thread is going to blow up in the next 1 to 2 days if Maryland keeps their word...

Yeah, SDN is getting exciting again. Exciting like coming around a curve at 95 mph or like slamming into the guard rail? we'll see ...
 
I called the Admissions Office today, and the lady there told me that nearly everyone that was on hold was put on the waitlist. She said to expect a letter in the mail soon that will tell you whether you are in the upper half or lower half of the waiting list. Best of luck to you all! :luck:
 
I called the Admissions Office today, and the lady there told me that nearly everyone that was on hold was put on the waitlist. She said to expect a letter in the mail soon that will tell you whether you are in the upper half or lower half of the waiting list. Best of luck to you all! :luck:

Thanks. Nearly everyone except a few rejections, or nearly everyone except a few acceptances, i wonder ...