Maryland

Started by meddoc1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. Nearly everyone except a few rejections, or nearly everyone except a few acceptances, i wonder ...
I'm sure nearly everyone minus a few acceptances. I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected after a post-interview hold.

I was under the impression that the waitlist was divided into thirds, but I guess not. As for being able to laugh at this thread in the future, I sure hope so too.
 
Hey guys,

The Admissions lady told me that there were no acceptances given out to the people on hold.

Also, were there any people that got flat out rejected in the regular interview season (after the interview)? I'm just curious...
 
I was under the impression that the waitlist was divided into thirds, but I guess not. As for being able to laugh at this thread in the future, I sure hope so too.

In the past, the waitlist has been divided in thirds, in terms of what they tell you in the letter (it will say top third, middle third, bottom third). I see no reason that it would change this year, but of course I can't say for certain. Internally there is a more specific ranking of course, but the information on specific placement isn't something that is EVER released to applicants. I can tell you that we haven't take anyone from the middle or bottom third in the last couple of years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

The Admissions lady told me that there were no acceptances given out to the people on hold.

Also, were there any people that got flat out rejected in the regular interview season (after the interview)? I'm just curious...
How accurate do you think that information is, because she couldn't have gone through everything they sent out? Then again, that is a bold statement to make so she may have done it because she knew something. I guess only time will tell.
 
Hey guys,

The Admissions lady told me that there were no acceptances given out to the people on hold.

Well that is some bleak news..

Yes, there were rejections.

I don't think thats such a big deal considering a middle or bottom third waitlist is essentially a rejection anyway.

EDIT

I just think it sucks that post-interview holds don't even have a shot at an acceptance since the post-interview hold letter formally states that acceptance may be a possibility. They should have just said it was a waitlist or reject right off the bat.

I agree, especially since during my late interview Dr. Foxwell said "We still have a ton of acceptances to give out". Then everyone from my interview day gets the hold and now a waitlist/rejection regardless of their application/interview performance.
 
I just think it sucks that post-interview holds don't even have a shot at an acceptance since the post-interview hold letter formally states that acceptance may be a possibility. They should have just said it was a waitlist or reject right off the bat.
 
I was on post-interview hold and I just received the letter about their decision. Apparently I am on the top half of the waiting list but they clearly state in the letter that they do not expect much movement. Maryland has been the worst admissions office that I have dealt with during this entire process, and their staff has been consistently rude whenever I have contacted them, so maybe its best if I don't go there. If they cant handle the admissions process without being respectful of the applicants I wonder how the rest of the school functions.



Weird. I've had very good interactions over the phone and in person with them.
 
so does that mean that there is no more hope even if you are in the upper half of the waitlist ?
 
Is okie.... the whole process is just energy draining...I am both the admission ppl and us are exhausted....We should stick together and encourage each other... Life is hard enough... so well, Cheer up and hope for the best. 🙂
 
I've probably only called about 5 times since being put on hold in early December, and each time the attitude has been off-putting.... I have been WL at multiple other places and harbor no ill feelings towards the other schools regarding my communication with the admissions staff.

I got my letter today.. waitlist top half.

As for the poster I quoted, I agree. Maryland has never seemed very friendly. There is even an entire thread from one UMD med student warning others about how poorly they treat their students. To be honest, the only reason I want to go to Maryland is to save some major $$$.. but perhaps this is the best thing for me as I feel I'll be happier elsewhere.
 
I just think it sucks that post-interview holds don't even have a shot at an acceptance since the post-interview hold letter formally states that acceptance may be a possibility. They should have just said it was a waitlist or reject right off the bat.

There were definitely acceptances given out at late interviews. Acceptances are a definite possibility from post-interview hold; just because you did not receive one does not mean it was not a possibility.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so does that mean that there is no more hope even if you are in the upper half of the waitlist ?

There is hope but it is a WL like any other. The last I heard, the class was oversubscribed, as it has been the last few years before May 15th. There has been a very small number taken from the waitlist in the past few years but there have been some taken. I expect the admissions office will be getting a better idea of what they are looking at as May 15th passes and people withdraw. As your fellow applicants narrow it down to one acceptance, the admissions office will be able to determine what the "real" class size is at this point.
 
I got my letter today.. waitlist top half.

As for the poster I quoted, I agree. Maryland has never seemed very friendly. There is even an entire thread from one UMD med student warning others about how poorly they treat their students. To be honest, the only reason I want to go to Maryland is to save some major $$$.. but perhaps this is the best thing for me as I feel I'll be happier elsewhere.

I'm sorry you feel our school and our admissions office is not friendly; I can't say that I share the same opinion (when I was an applicant or now as a student). As for that thread, I will only point out that of all the Maryland students on SDN (many of whom posted in that thread) only the OP of that thread was saying they were treated poorly. I think you would find that the majority of my classmates and those in other classes feel differently, but it is within your right to process the information given to you in whatever way you please. But I definitely wish all of you the best of luck in your waitlists and other med school-related endeavors. :luck:
 
As for the poster I quoted, I agree. Maryland has never seemed very friendly. There is even an entire thread from one UMD med student warning others about how poorly they treat their students. To be honest, the only reason I want to go to Maryland is to save some major $$$.. but perhaps this is the best thing for me as I feel I'll be happier elsewhere.

Give me a break. Most of us who are now second-years had no problem with the admissions office. Yes, incessant calling is probably going to get a cold shoulder (5 times since December sounds extreme - I never called the admissions office when I was an applicant, but I interacted with Dr. Foxwell & Co. on more than one occasion between October and May), but the OoA is filled with great, competent people. I have commented before that they suffered some pretty tremendous losses right before interview season began - no doubt this had some effect on their ability to turn over applications.

Comments like this just make you sound bitter because you were not accepted outright. I happen to know that we have a very friendly and helpful admissions office.

Good luck to those on the waitlist. I know it's a tough spot to be in (take it from a re-applicant), but even if you don't get in, and Maryland is your #1 choice, I would let them know it and keep the lines of communication open (but not to an extreme). :luck:
 
dr. foxwell came to my school and gave a talk about applying/getting into med school. he told a friend of mine who was there that as of now (which was a few weeks ago) they had 270 spots committed from the accepted applicants for the 160 seats for the incoming class. now obviously this was a while ago and a bunch have withdrawn since then and the number has come down significantly. but the number prolly won't come down TOO much from the 160 so yeah the previous people were probably right that not too many ppl come off the waitlist (<10). but good luck to every1 who's patiently waiting, hope to see some of you next year 🙂
 
Give me a break. Most of us who are now second-years had no problem with the admissions office. I would let them know it and keep the lines of communication open (but not to an extreme). :luck:

Easy tiger. Thats just the feeling that I, and obviously others, received.. some of my emails had one word responses without an introduction or signing at the end. I just felt like I wasn't worth their time. However, I hadn't heard about any losses in the admissions family and I could definitely see that being a factor.

And I swear I'm not bitter about being waitlisted/rejected. I never thought I would get into med school this entire cycle yet alone Maryland. I'm thankful for just my interview. However, what I (and most people here) are bitter about is the perceived notion that there was hope and that acceptances were still being handed out on a regular basis. During my interview I was told there were a lot of acceptances left.. and judging by the lack of "Yay I got in" posts on this thread and the UMD class of 2012 thread, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm wrong though as LucidSplash commented that there were acceptances being handed out.

Anyway I'm done arguing. Good luck to everyone!
 
Well in Maryland's defense, the FAQ on their admissions website does point out that those who are placed on hold after the interview will likely face a waitlist before eventual acceptance/rejection.

I too thought that their letter meant that they still look at our files regularly to make decisions, but I think that's more of an issue with semantics and believing what I wanted to believe.

You can't blame them for trying to be nice in their letters. At least we got something more varied than a patronizing "it's not you, it's us" letter.
 
I withdrew a couple of days ago from UMD. It was difficult; it truly is an amazing school. I hope one of you guys gets an acceptance notification extremely soon!
 
Where'd you decide to go?

UC Davis. It was a difficult decision, as I think UMD is top-notch with amazing facilities. I thought it was funny to find out that some Hopkins students study in the UMD library (I interviewed at both schools and could see why this was the case 🙂).
 
There were definitely acceptances given out at late interviews. Acceptances are a definite possibility from post-interview hold; just because you did not receive one does not mean it was not a possibility.
My point wasn't about late interviews or whether just because I didn't get an acceptance nobody did (i am not that cynical). My point was just that if nobody was accepted this year from post-interview holds (according to what someone from admissions said), then why put that as an option in the original letter?
 
My point wasn't about late interviews or whether just because I didn't get an acceptance nobody did (i am not that cynical). My point was just that if nobody was accepted this year from post-interview holds (according to what someone from admissions said), then why put that as an option in the original letter?
Because in years past, they were. And this year, they still can be.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like people think they should be accepted just for waiting.

I agree that the letter's wording and the FAQ's wording should be reconciled, but neither make promises that anyone will be accepted. Just that the option, however slight, exists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because in years past, they were. And this year, they still can be.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like people think they should be accepted just for waiting.

I agree that the letter's wording and the FAQ's wording should be reconciled, but neither make promises that anyone will be accepted. Just that the option, however slight, exists.

Agreed. If you check the admissions data on the website you will notice a significant upsurge in the number of applications Maryland has received over the past 4 years. However, we still interview the same number of people. Therefore the amount of work that goes into culling the field down is not insignificant. The increased applications combined with the deaths in the admissions office in the past couple years have been somewhat taxing, to say the least. You'll also notice that we're offering about the same number of acceptances. In the past, some of those acceptances have come from those put on hold at some point. I don't know how many, if any, were accepted from that pool this year as I haven't asked first hand. But I can tell you that more people are hanging on to Maryland acceptances longer (why the class is currently oversubscribed) and so there is less opportunity to take people from the hold file before the waitlist is made up.

Who knows what will happen in the next few years. Its possible that the entire "hold" category will simply be a straight waitlist category at some point as Maryland is growing in popularity among applicants. But what they do right now is based on years of experience and because numbers fluctuate year to year, it takes several years before you can identify solid trends in order to modify your processes. The admissions office here (and everywhere else) do things the way they do them for a reason and it isn't to make the applicants lives more difficult or to string them along. Their job is to make a class of 160 students without going over or under than number by a significant amount and that is an extremely difficult thing to do.

Look on the bright side. If you do get an acceptance off the waitlist, you won't need to be scrambling for $$ to hold your spot. Maryland doesn't require a deposit. Its probably one of the reasons people hold on to their acceptances longer, but its definitely a boon to the applicants who have to shell out at every other step in the process.
 
I just got the wait list letter today...Although I'm in the upper half of the wait list, I'm not too optimistic because it says there are 221 applicants on the wait list...🙁
 
I just got the wait list letter today...Although I'm in the upper half of the wait list, I'm not too optimistic because it says there are 221 applicants on the wait list...🙁
Yeah 221 is more than I was expecting based on threads from years past (1xx people).

I'm in the bottom half. While disappointing, at least I'm out of limbo! Time to move on.
 
I wrote the admissions staff an e-mail letting them now that I am currently going to matriculate at another school before August. I was wondering when waitlist people would typically find out so I can make arrangements in time. She told me that they tell people in June.
 
I wrote the admissions staff an e-mail letting them now that I am currently going to matriculate at another school before August. I was wondering when waitlist people would typically find out so I can make arrangements in time. She told me that they tell people in June.
Yep, thanks for posting that. It's good to let others know. They said they'll let us know by e-mail, according to the letter.
 
I wrote the admissions staff an e-mail letting them now that I am currently going to matriculate at another school before August. I was wondering when waitlist people would typically find out so I can make arrangements in time. She told me that they tell people in June.

The majority of people will find out in June. But like with any waitlist, they will continue to pull from it up until the day before classes begin if necessary. I believe that in my year there is student who got in off the waitlist just a couple days before classes started because someone else withdrew at the last minute.
 
The majority of people will find out in June. But like with any waitlist, they will continue to pull from it up until the day before classes begin if necessary. I believe that in my year there is student who got in off the waitlist just a couple days before classes started because someone else withdrew at the last minute.

This is really helpful to know, LucidSplash. So the current lack of Maryland waitlist movement isn't necessarily a bad sign?

Given that other waitlists seem to be moving a bit more than expected, I wonder if there will be a similar trend at Maryland this year? I guess there's no way of knowing at this point.
 
This is really helpful to know, LucidSplash. So the current lack of Maryland waitlist movement isn't necessarily a bad sign?

Given that other waitlists seem to be moving a bit more than expected, I wonder if there will be a similar trend at Maryland this year? I guess there's no way of knowing at this point.

The waitlist hasn't moved very much in the past few years and I think its reasonable to assume that will be the case this year as well. I was just pointing out that the waitlist doesn't just go through June, but is technically active until classes begin.
 
Good evening yall,
Just want to let you know that I got off the waitlist from the upper half on Tuesday so all hope is not gone. I am an in state male. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to having some of you as future classmates.
Cheers
 
Good evening yall,
Just want to let you know that I got off the waitlist from the upper half on Tuesday so all hope is not gone. I am an in state male. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to having some of you as future classmates.
Cheers

Congrats! But hey I saw that you're a MD/PhD.. anybody know if that is a different waitlist or if its combined with the regular MDs?
 
Hey Cottenr, To answer your question, I got rejected from the MD/PhD program today, so they are separate waitlists.
 
Good evening yall,
Just want to let you know that I got off the waitlist from the upper half on Tuesday so all hope is not gone. I am an in state male. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to having some of you as future classmates.
Cheers

Congrats Epi!! Out of curiosity how did they contact you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still nothing from Maryland? I had such high hopes once I found out they starting dipping into the waitlist before June started.
 
Wow, I can't believe Maryland has been this dead.. Anybody on the waitlist send additional interest/intent letters? I want to but it would be my 4th letter to Dr. Foxwell and I honestly don't know if it would do anything now that i've been placed on the waitlist. Anyway calling for waitlist movement and getting any answers?

EDIT:

So I just called today (Tuesday) and asked the guy about waitlist movement. He said they would contact me if I was accepted. I said "I know, I was calling to see if I have moved a few spots up or..." before I could finish my sentence he yelled "NO! You are either top half or bottom half, thats it!". I was shocked and said "Oh ok, thanks.. bye bye" and all I heard was the "click" of his receiver...
 
Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has posted on here yet.. was I the only one who got the "waitlist is pretty much dead" email from Dr. Foxwell?