Masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin3Ford

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying to DO programs in another year, while picking up volunteer hours, I'm going to take a few more classes (to pick up GPA alittle, current cum3.3/4.0 science3.6/4.0) plus I need organic pre-req. Is it looked more favorably to pick up a master's. I found I can receive one within a year in Exercise Science/Kinesiology. Would this be beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

Kevin3Ford,

The main thing is to take some upper level class work which will give an indication of your expected performance in med school classes (roughly grad level). You can do this while obtaining a masters degree or you can simply become a post bac. Unless you really want a master degree I would advise the post bac route. Unless you do the masters you stated, most other programs are typically 2 years. So you won't finish it prior to acceptance to med school anyway unless it takes you an additional year. By taking the post bac route, you avoid having to do thesis papers. You can always apply for grad status later. This is the case at my school.

In a nutshell.....

Whatever you choose, just make sure your taking high level courses which would be beneficial to med school ie BioChem, Micro, etc...

DocGibby

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited October 19, 1999).]

What is post bac.? Meaning just additional classes as long as they are 400 level or more?

Kevin3Ford,

A post bachelorete (I butchered the spelling) is exactly what it seems. A post bachelor. Its not a degree just a class standing like sophmore or senior. At my school, Oakland University in Michigan, you can become a post bac after graduation (most schools allow this). You write a letter to the chairmen of your desired dept (ex. Chairmen of Biology) and request permission to take grad level classes. You can only take grad level classes with permission unless of course your a grad student. The post bac route means you don't take GRE's your not applying to grad school your not filling out the typical application materials and you don't have to do a thesis paper (typical graduate work). Your just continuing your education. You don't have to take grad level to be a post bac either. I'm currently taking one 100 level course as a post bac. Because of the low level, I don't need permission to take it. I just signed up for the class. The draw back is that your not necessarily working towards a degree. Your just taking high level courses to show the Med school that you can handle it. This isn't a problem if your accepted to med school, but if you don't get in and then decide to get that masters you will probably be behind (ie the thesis paper and other core classes).

I hope I haven't confused you to much. It's best to discuss this with an advisor at your college or the dept chair of the masters program your interested in. Additionally, its important to ask the med schools which they look at as being more usefull. They'll probably just tell you what I did. Go take some high level science courses, etc... In any case if you've got some more questions feel free to email me.

DocGibby