Masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one year of BPharm (5-year program) and was thinking of doing masters. Which subject should one do his masters in to be more beneficial in real life pharmacy career? Or wouldn't it matter since it's all research and labs?
I really enjoyed pharmacology, so I was considering to do a masters degree in it instead of say organic chem or pharmaceutical chem.

Having to think about it, should a pharmacist pursue further education in chem?

Any one with experience?

Members don't see this ad.

If it was me I would do an MPA or an MBA, you sound like you are more interested in research type things though.

Yeah, I'm not really into business type of things...but hey, I might change my mind...

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what kind of job you would like to have later on. I really don't know if a master in pharmacology would really help you. But if you want to teach, a PhD would go well with your pharmacy degree.

What if I don't want to teach but want to have a masters degree, then it has to be in something...

I want higher education degree to "cover up" my crappy BPharm, it's not even a PharmD!

Why would you suggest either of those degrees... he stated he wanted to do more research..... MPA and MBA wouldnt be helpful at all.

If it was me I would do an MPA or an MBA, you sound like you are more interested in research type things though.

But MBA is still masters, however non-scientific.
I don't know, maybe I go for an MSc then MBA? (...damn no life :p)

But MBA is still masters, however non-scientific.
I don't know, maybe I go for an MSc then MBA? (...damn no life :p)

After I finish my 2nd year of residency, I plan to obtain a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree. This will help you if you have an interest in epidemiology, research, or would ever like to pursue a career with the FDA, CDC, NIH, etc.

Last edited:
hmm, Public Health, is that like immunology, virology, parasitology, bacteriology, pathology, and environmental science?? We took a big course called PH which consisted of these.

I really enjoyed pharmacology, so I was considering to do a masters degree in it instead of say organic chem or pharmaceutical chem.

Any one with experience?

If you like pharmacology, go for MS in Pharmacology :)