Masters for pre-dent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryahn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone
I am a second time applicant with a 2.7ish GPA.
since I've got only one more quarter left before I graduate,
I basically gave up on the idea of raising my under grad. gpa to
respectable figure.
My next option, according to the admission people,
is to enroll in a master's program and do my best in there.

My problem is, I do not have sufficient GPA to get into a graduate school,
and I don't think if I can deal with all the pre-graduate school stuff
(taking GRE etc.) while applying to dental at the same time.

Anyone has any advice for me regarding this matter?
any little input will be greatly appreciated.

thank you very very much in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ryahn said:
hi everyone
I am a second time applicant with a 2.7ish GPA.
since I've got only one more quarter left before I graduate,
I basically gave up on the idea of raising my under grad. gpa to
respectable figure.
My next option, according to the admission people,
is to enroll in a master's program and do my best in there.

My problem is, I do not have sufficient GPA to get into a graduate school,
and I don't think if I can deal with all the pre-graduate school stuff
(taking GRE etc.) while applying to dental at the same time.

Anyone has any advice for me regarding this matter?
any little input will be greatly appreciated.

thank you very very much in advance. :)

depends on where you are live. I am from NYC, and alot of the city universities allow you to enroll in grad courses as a non matriculant, as long as you have proof of an undergraduate degree. All you have to do its fill out some information, send them your transcript and an application fee. I am sure some of your local universities have similar options.

talk to an admission's advisor at the school you want to attend and were rejected at--------ask what you can do to improve your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does being a licensed Dental Hygienist help one when comes to getting into Dental School?

I myself have a 2.7ish GPA. I knew my GPA was low and chose not to apply to dental school or take the DAT with those credentials. I took a year off and applied to SMP (special masters programs) so I can earn a masters then apply to dental school. Im currently deciding which school i want to attend in the fall.

By second time applicant do you mean you already applied to dental school? your GPA isn't going to change much by the end of this semester and unless you score crazy high on the DAT, your probably going to have the same results of trying to get into dental school as your first year around.

I thought the same thing about having a low GPA and not being able to get into gradschool but a lot of these programs are specifically for students who need to boost up there academic credentials. I am 100% committed to pursing dental school and even though taking a year off and going through the GRE and a masters program is a pain, I think its my safest and best bet into dental school admissions. I did not want to waste a DAT and either possibly score super high or average but still have my crappy GPA competing against other applicants. Its up to you and how bad you want to pursue dental school. If i were you i would apply for a masters and don't take the DAT again until the summer after your masters begins. Good luck!

This post is 10 years old...

Reactions: 1 users