Master's in Biology or Masters in Public Health before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusticapples

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated, and for most of my undergraduate time I didn't care about anything/mostly wasted my time playing video games. My entire last year I sort of cleaned up my act and was able to get a +3.5 GPA for all 4 quarters, but that still doesn't bring up my total GPA to a 3.0 (its more of a 2.94).

Now I am debating on:
1.) Getting an M.S. in Biology with a focus in ecology/marine biology mainly because that's the only thing I can do right now with the coursework I have taken.

2.) Getting a Master's in Public Health

I also need to take some pre-req coursework like organic chemistry because my undergraduate major did not require it. I plan on taking these at a community college before my MS or MPH and/or during my masters.

Right now I am leaning more towards the MPH because it seems more relevant to veterinary school. I know you must get questions like this pretty often so I apologize in advance. Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated, and for most of my undergraduate time I didn't care about anything/mostly wasted my time playing video games. My entire last year I sort of cleaned up my act and was able to get a +3.5 GPA for all 4 quarters, but that still doesn't bring up my total GPA to a 3.0 (its more of a 2.94).

Now I am debating on:
1.) Getting an M.S. in Biology with a focus in ecology/marine biology mainly because that's the only thing I can do right now with the coursework I have taken.

2.) Getting a Master's in Public Health

I also need to take some pre-req coursework like organic chemistry because my undergraduate major did not require it. I plan on taking these at a community college before my MS or MPH and/or during my masters.

Right now I am leaning more towards the MPH because it seems more relevant to veterinary school. I know you must get questions like this pretty often so I apologize in advance. Thank you :D

What's your UG degree in? And keep in mind masters programs look at your GPA when you apply. I would say MPH.

I was thinking about getting a master's degree before applying to veterinary school too. After talking to the admissions team at one university, I decided to continue to take upper-level undergraduate classes instead. Essentially they told me that they preferred an applicant to have a strong undergrad record and if I were to chose a master's program it should involve a lot of biology. Master's of Science in Biology, Genetics, etc. rather than Ecology, Envi Sci, or Marine Science. Additionally, they urged me not to take courses at community college if the classes were to be used as requirements for veterinary school.

Again this is what only one school has told me. I can neither speak for them nor any other school. You are better off, in my opinion, to ask each veterinary school their thoughts and policies and going from there. Hope this was at least a little helpful. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would second the above post regarding community colleges. Different schools seem to have different attitudes towards them. In general, any upper-division/advanced classes should be taken at a four year college/university. I know Davis in particular will not accept certain classes as prereqs (eg Genetics, Biochem) if they are taken at a community college.

I am getting my MPH prior to applying to vet school, and I chose that over a science MS because, should I not get into vet school, it was more in line with my future career goals. My degree involves a lot of microbiology, physiology, and chemistry. My practicum will be in Uganda investigating disease management strategies related to food animal production and the related biosecurity risks, zoonotic and epizootic issues, and environmental health issues. My electives include such things as zoonotic disease identification, risks, and control; and environmental contaminants that affect human and animal health.

If you can find a MPH at a school with a vet and/or ag department you should be able to integrate some of their coursework into your degree. My practicum will be under the guidance of a veterinarian, and that is another way to make your MPH work for you when you apply to veterinary school (assuming you do well).

The other thing worth considering is calling around to some of the schools you think you'll end up applying to and asking for their opinion. See if they would prefer a MS, MPH or just taking higher level science courses.

I would say to go for whatever your Plan B is. If you don't get into vet school, what would you want to do with your life? Whichever of the two, MS or MPH, would help you better find a career you like, then I say go with that one.

That's the advice I was given for choosing a major in undergrad, and although I got into vet school (my plan A), I'm really glad that I went with the degree option that I enjoyed more rather than the more practical major.