Master's Level Licensed Clinicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivingOffLoans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any licensed counselors here who finished school at the master's level and can speak about their post-licensure experience? I'm especially interested to hear about those who have made it into a successful private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any licensed counselors here who finished school at the master's level and can speak about their post-licensure experience? I'm especially interested to hear about those who have made it into a successful private practice.

I'm surprised you don't have 'real life' people to ask? I'm in school, but I know of plenty who fit this description but they aren't on these forums.

Dear Living off Loans,

I graduated in 2010 and I am in my residency and working in a small private practice under clinical and administrative supervision - two different supervisors. I am not eligible to take insurance (except medicaid - and ONLY when my supervisor is in the building - which doesn't work for us so I only take private pay.)

I am not getting wealthy by any means, nor am I living off loans :) This isn't a first, second, or third career for me, so I do have financial resources. I am doing what I love every day and every ounce of passion I put into this goes towards my professional development and future practice.

When I am licensed - I will already have a thriving and full practice. It took several months to fill up my case load, but I am now full, and referring out - I have a 100% retention rate so far - with one planned termination. When some of my current clients terminate - I will once again accept new clients - probably after the holidays.

This works for me and I have been successful because I am established in my community, have years of experience with local agencies, have volunteered and created connections and I am very good at providing effective therapy with *just* a Masters level degree.

My program required a 100 hour practicum - I did two. I also commuted for an entire year to an unpaid internship in an agency in another city to work with the best, seasoned therapists, with a terrific model of group supervision. My individual supervision was with a LCSW for internship. I also did a second internship at another setting to receive supervision from a licensed clinical psychologist.

In other words, I was willing to work in a very intentional and focused way to create my current setting. And... yes... I have to PAY for my LPC supervision - out of pocket. But this allowed me to choose a gifted supervisor who herself has a thriving private practice.

In my practicum, I worked with a MSW/LCSW who had worked in that setting for about 6 years. She is a young woman - early 30s or so - and she left that position and within 6 months her private practice was full.

Until I am licensed and independent, I am charging less than licensed clinicians and having to pay out a lot in expenses - but it has definitely worked for me - and it definitely is a few sigmas out from the norm! But so am I :)

YMMV,

Vasa Lisa