Masters Program: Barry University vs. Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I also just received my acceptance to BMS 18-month program at Barry and still tryna figure out if I should attend.

Blamb- when I spoke with Dr. Abdellatif, he told me that it would be hard to finish the program in 1 year because most of the courses wont be offered until the fall (when the 1 years join)..

Also, I am sooo confused about the tuition and expenses. They sent me a statement saying that they need to know if i have $34705 (Tuition= $15210, Books=$6615 and living expenses= $12880). I assume this is for 1 year. But the math just doesn't add up. It is $845 for 1 credit so $30420 for 36 credits and then on top of that books plus living expenses, everything adds up to approximately $54000. For the people who attended Barry, is this close to what you guys paid or am i totally off???? Please help. I need to make a decision ASAP

Members don't see this ad.

Jvss,

Yes you are right..it would take 18 months to finish the program and we still need to take classes in the summer! I think the tuition and living will add up to about 50,000. The 6,000 for books seems a little steep to me. The program is definitely expensive, but to me its worth if it makes me more competitive for dental school. I am attending forsure and have found a reasonable price for apartments with two other roomates! Hope to see you in the Spring! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi everyone , thanks alot for all the great information about barry and nova well i just got in the barry for 18 months program for fall2010 i dont know if it is a good step i know you cant go wrong with higher education well i have 3.0 and took the dat twice and did very bad maybe worst score but i wont giveup on my dream of becoming a dentist so is barry good school i will really work so hard to get good grade and planning to take the dat Jan 2011 to apply to nova i really do hope to getin there one day so do u guys think am i doing the right step but i read very bad reviews about barry and i am kind of not sure if it will help to getinto dental school.​

Hi everyone , thanks alot for all the great information about barry and nova well i just got in the barry for 18 months program for fall2010 i dont know if it is a good step i know you cant go wrong with higher education well i have 3.0 and took the dat twice and did very bad maybe worst score but i wont giveup on my dream of becoming a dentist so is barry good school i will really work so hard to get good grade and planning to take the dat Jan 2011 to apply to nova i really do hope to getin there one day so do u guys think am i doing the right step but i read very bad reviews about barry and i am kind of not sure if it will help to getinto dental school.​

I am not ripping on you, but I see you did put a period at the end, think about throwing a few others in that statement.

By the way I did 18 months at Barry....interviewed at UF, NOVA, and BU. So far I have gotten into BU.

or why not look into your state school for a BMS program and save a lot of $$$

Are adcoms looking down on people doing the 18 month Barry plan? I would think if you have good dat scores and 3.6<x in the grad program you should be set. Am I wrong?

I am not ripping on you, but I see you did put a period at the end, think about throwing a few others in that statement.

By the way I did 18 months at Barry....interviewed at UF, NOVA, and BU. So far I have gotten into BU.

oh no i meant many dental schools not only one. Thank you. but my problem that i took the dat twice and didnt do well but i am planning to take for the third and last time after i finish one year of the BMS program. well Congrats good luck. hope one i can make it to dental school.

Does anyone know what is the average GPA requirement for the Masters program at Nova? Is it a 1 year program or 2? What are they looking for in acceptance of students?

Does anyone know what is the average GPA requirement for the Masters program at Nova? Is it a 1 year program or 2? What are they looking for in acceptance of students?

I don't know if they have a specific requirement cutoff (or they may have changed it) but about two years ago it was 3.5 GPA and it's a 1 year program. They love high DAT scores (20+).

I'm a junior Biology major at LA Tech University...I hate Biology, but I'm almost done. My GPA is a 2.5 right now, and I have a year left. I hate Genetics, Cell Bio, Ecology, the whole nine yards. I'm barely getting by with B's and C's. I haven't even bothered taking the DAT because I still have organic to complete over the summer. I plan on entering a Kaplan course to prepare for the DAT in the fall. I'm mainly writing today for some guidance after graduation. The school of my choice is LSU Dental. Unless by some miracle from God I score a ridiculous score on that DAT, there's NO WAY I'm getting in dental school with a 2.5 undergrad GPA, but I'm not going to let the fact that I'm a poor student in Biology deter me away from pursuing a career as a dentist. I have three pathways I'm considering after graduation:

--another B.S. in Dental Hygiene
--Bio Master's program in the state
-- Barry University's program

I know that dental hygiene credits are completely ignored when factoring undergrad GPA, but at least I would have a job in a field I love after it's all said and done. I know dental hygiene is completely different from general dentistry, but i'm just about as passionate about it as I am general dentistry because it correlates with perio.

I reallllllly, truly, hate biology and do not see myself getting another degree in Biology, but then again I love research and reports. I just don't want to be stuck in the field of biology for the rest of my life with enormous debt.

Barry seems like it would make me an outstanding candidate and the courses seem very interesting...more clinical based stuff besides all the horrendous undergrad bio courses I'm taking. I just don't know if it would be worth it financially because there are no guarantees that that MSP would get me in LSU dental--I would be stuck with a worthless degree and a mountain of debt.

Any suggestions? I'm just frazzled because graduation is approaching, and I don't want to be stuck or without a plan!

um. I'll take a stab at posting here. I just got a phone call from Dr. Lauden saying I was accepted into the 1 year MBS at Barry.

First off, I'm NOT dental. But I have taken the DAT. My stats would actually be, AACOMAS GPA: 2.8 and sGPA 2.7. If grades unreplacable, then it would be quite a bit lower =X. DAT: 19 but AA is 18. MCAT 25T. My CV is kinda long. Graduated from UC Davis, currently taking some classes at Portland State Univ. waiting to hear back from other MBS programs. I guess you can PM me if you wanted to know anything specific as I don't check the dental forums regularly (first time actually).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if they have a specific requirement cutoff (or they may have changed it) but about two years ago it was 3.5 GPA and it's a 1 year program. They love high DAT scores (20+).

So, so, so, so not true... I know people that had a GPA much lower than that... And 2yrs ago would be basically when I was in the program...

Hey guys (and gals), sorry that I havent been on here for awhile. Been kinda busy with dental school, lol... I know a bunch of you have emailed me- i've answered some, but will be answering them all within the next couple of days.

Good luck!!!

it's time to own this **** again dawggggg!!! hit me up

Gujudoc: r u serious, ur telling me that BU and Gtown is 2x $54000?? thats insane if its true!!

Just wanted to say goodluck to all the people that are interviewing at Nova in the upcoming weeks! I probably won't be on here- finals are coming around!

Just in case people were checking on this thread, Barry worked for me.

I was in the 1 year Masters with a 3.83 graduating GPA

Had 3 pre dec interviews at BU, USC and Louisville. Four post dec other interviews at Temple, Nova, Midwestern and UF. Got into BU and USC on Dec 1st and waitlisted at Louisville so I canceled the rest of my interviews.

However, a M.S. from Barry is FARRRR from a guarantee of getting into dental school.

Last edited:
Just in case people were checking on this thread, Barry worked for me.

I was in the 1 year Masters with a 3.83 graduating GPA

Had 3 pre dec interviews at BU, USC and Louisville. Four post dec other interviews at Temple, Nova, Midwestern and UF. Got into BU and USC on Dec 1st and waitlisted at Louisville so I canceled the rest of my interviews.

However, a M.S. from Barry is FARRRR from a guarantee of getting into dental school.

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you.

Man, I went to Barry for my first 2 years of undergrad on a golf scholarship and didn't really like it. I guess the school and the professors weren't all that bad. But going to Miami from small country towns in Nevada was quite a culture shock.

Playing on Barry's 2007 National Championship Golf team was a huge resume booster tho. Interviewers ate that up like kids on candy. I think that carried a LOT of weight on my application. It was one of the few things that separated me from other applicants.

That is a huge part of your application, secondary, and interview...what separates you from another applicant with the same or better credentials? Something to think about and work on.

Mithymouse23 You completed 2 MSP: first one at Barry and then second one at Nova ? if you went to Nova fitst, would you be accepted there ? that proves Nova is better choice than Barry ?

Mithymouse23 You completed 2 MSP: first one at Barry and then second one at Nova ? if you went to Nova fitst, would you be accepted there ? that proves Nova is better choice than Barry ?

Yes, it is.

It's just that they only accept 10 people a year.

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to Barry 18 months track but I am debating whether to attend in the fall 2011 or not. 2 years seem long and i am out of state student, i was wondering if there is any possibility to accelerate to 1 year if say you do really well the first semester? and is there a higher chance in getting into dental school with this program?

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to Barry 18 months track but I am debating whether to attend in the fall 2011 or not. 2 years seem long and i am out of state student, i was wondering if there is any possibility to accelerate to 1 year if say you do really well the first semester? and is there a higher chance in getting into dental school with this program?

-First, ask yourself if you can handle the one year course load? Based off of your recent academic history. Second, the program is there to show that you are capable of taking grad level classes and it is at the grad level, so dont expect it to be easy.
-Some of the 1 years decide to do 18 months...some of the 18 months decide to do 2 years. I haven't heard of the opposite direction yet. It's a tough program, but if you have no life you can get a 4.0. Most of the people in the program do get into dental school, but dental schools like to see high DATs, like a 20 from a Masters kid. However, ppl with lower stats do get into dental schools or at least interviews, it depends on your undergrad stats too, because of the BCP on the addsas application.
Hope that helps!:)

Hi guys, I recently got into 1 year MBS program at Barry University. But I'm not sure if this program will help me to get into dental school. I've seen 50% positive feedbacks and other 50% negative feedbacks about the program. Some people say that their stats are false and not many people get accepted into dental schools. But some other people state that good number of people get accepted into Nova dental school the following year. I'm still doubting about the program and I don't wanna waste my money (not exactly sure how much I have to pay for 1year program) and end up being hopeless. I also applied for Dental post-bacc at SFSU but I haven't heard anything yet. Which one should I be going with? I've been anxious, depressed and can't even focus at work. This is a really important decision for me to make and I don't want to make one mistake that could ruin my life. I really need helps from you guys especially those who have gone through one of these programs. I wanna know the facts. Thank you in advance !

I graduated from the 1 year track in '10. There was 36 of us in the dental track and out of the 36 around 28 of us have gotten in. I'll be one of the first to tell you that it's far from a guarantee to get into dental school.

And no, not a good number get into Nova. Out of the 28 of us that got into Dental school, Nova accepted 2 of us.

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of research but there is just so much to read on this thread and the fact that it dates all the way back to 2008 imp not sure how much is still applicable due to the time gap. So please excuse my redundancy but I am very interested in the two programs as well... First off, I would like to know how competitive the one year programs are. I have a 3.0 gap and a 2.85 spa, and I am in the process of studying for the DAT (imp shooting for a 22 because I have been studying religiously), I have really good shadowing and EC's, but based off those statistics do I stand a shot?

Hey guys, got an interview tomorrow or more like today now. I got the call today and called in for thursday. Can anyone let me in on how the interview is. Couldnt find anything on the questions they ask you. thanks

Hey guys, got an interview tomorrow or more like today now. I got the call today and called in for thursday. Can anyone let me in on how the interview is. Couldnt find anything on the questions they ask you. thanks

I am pretty sure most of us that got accepted to Barry didn't have an interview. Unless you are talking about NOVA?

Hello my name is Lobna I just graduated from the BMS program in May and will still be living in south florida. Im currently looking for a trustworthy roommate i will be moving to a 2 bedroom 2 bath in the miramar / pembroke pines area which is about 10mins from NSU and extremely close to all major highways. Please let me know if you can help me get the word out or if you know anyone in the program who is also looking for a roommate. contact me at [email protected]