Masters Program: Barry University vs. Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the 18-month program at Barry and am getting kinda nervous hearing about your situation Mightymouse23. Myself having a 2.7 overall undergrad GPA and a 3.0 in Science as as a BS Chemistry Major. My DAT scores are PA 16; QR 13; RC 23; Bio 20; GC 19; Orgo 22; TS 20; AA 19, in 2006. I am retaking the DAT to get higher scores in the PAT and QR which should give me pretty competitive scores. I have a 4.0 GPA after the first 15 credits here at Barry and actively participate in the BMS club. What more can a person do to get in? Dr. Laudan must have talked the program up a lot by saying over 85% get accepted but you didn't, it's not very consoling. He listed like 10 school to me that knew of the program at Barry and made me feel real confident that it was this program that would put me over the top.

How many times have you taken DAT? IF you don't mind can you tell me your scores for each time?

I applied for 08 cycle and I did not get in, so I was considering doing Masters program. I went to talk to Dr. Lipmann personally to ask for his advice. He strictly recommended me not to do MAsters, because he thinks I don't need to since my GPA is allright compared to # of higher level classes I have taken(3.34) He said that as long as I can raise my DAT to 19 AA, I shouldn't have problem getting in. So I changed my mind about Masters and I am studying for DAT now (retake in July). I am really curious to know what your dat was when you got accepted to NOVA. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the 18-month program at Barry and am getting kinda nervous hearing about your situation Mightymouse23. Myself having a 2.7 overall undergrad GPA and a 3.0 in Science as as a BS Chemistry Major. My DAT scores are PA 16; QR 13; RC 23; Bio 20; GC 19; Orgo 22; TS 20; AA 19, in 2006. I am retaking the DAT to get higher scores in the PAT and QR which should give me pretty competitive scores. I have a 4.0 GPA after the first 15 credits here at Barry and actively participate in the BMS club. What more can a person do to get in? Dr. Laudan must have talked the program up a lot by saying over 85% get accepted but you didn't, it's not very consoling. He listed like 10 school to me that knew of the program at Barry and made me feel real confident that it was this program that would put me over the top.

Honestly he did the same to me as well as many others. 85%? hmmm... when I was there he said it was 94% Dont get me wrong, the program is similar to some of the classes at Nova, but somethihngs are lacking. One is the intensity- Nova's 1yr MBS cant be compared to Barry's 2yr. I think that retaking the DAT is a good idea, and score in the 20's in all areas just to so consistency. Another thing is to get good recs. What schools did he say knew of the Barry program? Was Tufts one of them?

How many times have you taken DAT? IF you don't mind can you tell me your scores for each time?

I applied for 08 cycle and I did not get in, so I was considering doing Masters program. I went to talk to Dr. Lipmann personally to ask for his advice. He strictly recommended me not to do MAsters, because he thinks I don't need to since my GPA is allright compared to # of higher level classes I have taken(3.34) He said that as long as I can raise my DAT to 19 AA, I shouldn't have problem getting in. So I changed my mind about Masters and I am studying for DAT now (retake in July). I am really curious to know what your dat was when you got accepted to NOVA. Thanks!!

I took the DAT 3 times- first two times I was sick and shouldn't have taken them but had to for application deadlines. I cant remember my individual scores since it was so long ago, but my AA for the last exam was 20. I believe my PAT was 18 and Science was 20...

As for Dr. Lippman, if he says that you dont need the masters then dont do it. Personally I know students that had higher credentials than yours in both GPA and DAT scores that didnt get in. Were there other things that you have done in undergrad? Proof once more that numbers dont mean everything...

Yea the percentage of acceptance was up there, He told me Tuft, Nova, NYU, NJ..., Boston, Meharry, Marquette, Colombia, Why? Do these schools even know of the program?

Yea the percentage of acceptance was up there, He told me Tuft, Nova, NYU, NJ..., Boston, Meharry, Marquette, Colombia, Why? Do these schools even know of the program?

LOL. That is hilarious! He told me the same thing, but when I called Tufts and NYU they had NO CLUE about the program. They were like "Barry University, what is that?".

Not sure about the other schools though. I do know that Temple knows of the program. Infact one of their admissions person came to give a talk.

Best bet is to call some of those schools and find out for yourself-things might have changed, but I know that when i was there these schools (tufts and NYU) didnt know about Barry.

Who do you contact at the school's the admission's office? How do you go about asking them, "Have you heard of Barry and am i wasting my time?"

Who do you contact at the school's the admission's office? How do you go about asking them, "Have you heard of Barry and am i wasting my time?"

When I called I spoke to a couple of people from each school ( i called several different times). I actually got lucky and spoke to an assistant dean, and now that i remember, i spoke to McManus too from Columbia. I just told them that I am doing a SMP at Barry University and what their thoughts were, and if there were other things that could be done to strengthen myself as an applicant. None of the people i spoke to heard of Barry University. So i went off that...

I took the DAT 3 times- first two times I was sick and shouldn't have taken them but had to for application deadlines. I cant remember my individual scores since it was so long ago, but my AA for the last exam was 20. I believe my PAT was 18 and Science was 20...

As for Dr. Lippman, if he says that you dont need the masters then dont do it. Personally I know students that had higher credentials than yours in both GPA and DAT scores that didnt get in. Were there other things that you have done in undergrad? Proof once more that numbers dont mean everything...
Well, I do agree with him that my DAT was very low when I applied. But I also that my GPA would be an issue too, but apparantely it isn't according to him. That's why I was so surprise, coz I was just so darn sure that I have to do Masters to who to the d-schools that I can handle heavy load. There was no way that I could just take more classes & raise my gpa from 3.34 ---> 3.6 in 1 yr. No I don't have anything amazing on my applicaton. I am just an average applicant - shadowing, voluntary work, little bit of assisting. Anyways, I will just follow as he says & study hard for DAT & try to score atleast 19AA. If nothing happens again, then I will think about Masters. Thank you! Let me know if you have any advice for me :)

Well, I do agree with him that my DAT was very low when I applied. But I also that my GPA would be an issue too, but apparantely it isn't according to him. That's why I was so surprise, coz I was just so darn sure that I have to do Masters to who to the d-schools that I can handle heavy load. There was no way that I could just take more classes & raise my gpa from 3.34 ---> 3.6 in 1 yr. No I don't have anything amazing on my applicaton. I am just an average applicant - shadowing, voluntary work, little bit of assisting. Anyways, I will just follow as he says & study hard for DAT & try to score atleast 19AA. If nothing happens again, then I will think about Masters. Thank you! Let me know if you have any advice for me :)

No prob. First, dont cut yourself short. Why are you aiming for a 19AA on the DAT. Shoot for mid 20's. I mean if you get a 22AA and dont get into Nova for some reason, atleast you'll look "attractive" to other schools. Remember that each application cycle, things are different and what holds now may not hold later.

to the readers following this thread. the Nova MBS program i would say is more rigorous than the 1 or 2 year program at Barry. i was in the 1 year program and knew of other friends in the Nova program. its safe to say the 1 year prog at barry is harder than the 2 year or 1.5 year progs. with that said, nova has a direct linkage (assuming you get a B or above in every class you will get accepted to either D.O. or DMD). Nova took about 15 barry students this cycle. not many other schools know about Barry's BMS prog true, but i know for a fact that 2 years ago there was a Barry BMS grad on the admission committee at Tufts. and Tufts students are the ones that do the interviewing so i would count that them knowing about Barry. for the other schools i cannot really comment about. however at my 6 interviews, no one asked about "what/where is barry". they were more impressed that i was taking gross anatomy with lab, histo, pathophys, etc. an admissions officer once told me that the name of the school doesn't really matter but moreso the coursework. barry is no georgetown, but i've said it many times before, barry will do the job assuming you get good grades there and don't have a ridiculously bad undergraduate GPA/experience.

Hey guys,

first of all this thread has been a huge help, thanks! I have applied once to dental school (july of 2007) and did not get interviews anywhere and have been somewhat lost in what i should do ever since. I graduated from northwestern university with a gpa of 2.9 and science/math of 2.7. My DAT scores are AA - 22, PAT - 20, QR - 23, Reading - 24, Bio - 19, GChem - 23, Ochem-21, Total Science - 20. I've heard that it is my GPA that is holding me back and am currently taking some undergraduate science courses while I am reapplying for dental school. As a backup plan (which i most definitely need) I have been reading up on masters and post-bacc programs. Any advice for me in regards to the programs at Barry & Nova? Programs anywhere else? Also, i'm not sure if this matters, but I am not a Florida resident. Please PM me if you are afraid your response will put the thread off topic, thanks guys!!

David

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

first of all this thread has been a huge help, thanks! I have applied once to dental school (july of 2007) and did not get interviews anywhere and have been somewhat lost in what i should do ever since. I graduated from northwestern university with a gpa of 2.9 and science/math of 2.7. My DAT scores are AA - 22, PAT - 20, QR - 23, Reading - 24, Bio - 19, GChem - 23, Ochem-21, Total Science - 20. I've heard that it is my GPA that is holding me back and am currently taking some undergraduate science courses while I am reapplying for dental school. As a backup plan (which i most definitely need) I have been reading up on masters and post-bacc programs. Any advice for me in regards to the programs at Barry & Nova? Programs anywhere else? Also, i'm not sure if this matters, but I am not a Florida resident. Please PM me if you are afraid your response will put the thread off topic, thanks guys!!

David

the nova MBS class is very small compared to barry's. barry's 1 year typically has around 40 students while the 2 years have significantly more....maybe around twice as much (?). the nova classes, if i can remember correctly are around 10. if someone knows for sure please correct me. my 1 year barry class had many people from out of state so NOT being a FL resident shouldn't hurt you. but i would say a good 1/3 were from FL. and yes its your GPA that is holding you back and yes i think you could benefit from programs like these. your DATs are awesome. goodluck! :thumbup:

the nova MBS class is very small compared to barry's. barry's 1 year typically has around 40 students while the 2 years have significantly more....maybe around twice as much (?). the nova classes, if i can remember correctly are around 10. if someone knows for sure please correct me. my 1 year barry class had many people from out of state so NOT being a FL resident shouldn't hurt you. but i would say a good 1/3 were from FL. and yes its your GPA that is holding you back and yes i think you could benefit from programs like these. your DATs are awesome. goodluck! :thumbup:

Everything that xtract said is on point! Except I believe this year they only accepted 7 or 8 people for dental.

Everything that xtract said is on point! Except I believe this year they only accepted 7 or 8 people for dental.

thanks for the confirmation :). when i said they took a buncha from barry, i know of at least 8-9 one years that got in. combine that with the students from the 2 years that got in (i know of 5, but don't know too many 2 years so there is prob some more)...you will have around 15 or so from barry going to nova dental.

thanks for the responses guys! When do you suggest applying/when is the deadline? Thanks again.

Dave

For Barry- Rolling admission, they take people up until the day before classes begin

For Nova- Applications come out 1/15 and deadline is 4/15?

Hi!
I was actually thinking about this today but does anybody know the tuition cost for the one year program at Barry? Is the amount different from the two year program? Just the tuition, not including books. I was also wondering if the one year and the two year students take the same classes at the same time and if it is possible to study with each other? Are the classes taken around the same time? And I was wondering how you guys found time to study for the DAT while doing the program and how did you guys study for the classes? A little bit everyday or a few days prior to the exam? Thank you soo much!

Sara

I was rejected from Louisville for the 08 cycle, but they emailed me this today:

We would like to share with you an exciting opportunity offered at the University of Louisville Health Sciences Center. As an alternative course of study you might consider the Masters of Public Health program at the University of Louisville School of Public Health and Information Sciences (SPHIS). In the past some students have completed the MPH degree and been admitted to dental school, however admission to and completion of the MPH program does NOT guarantee admission to the School of Dentistry or any other program at U of L. If you have not considered public health as an option for further study the SPHIS encourages you to visit its website http://sphis.louisville.edu/ . If you have questions or would like to learn more about our MPH program, please do not hesitate to contact LaTonia Peters, MPH Program Coordinator by phone at 502-852-5933, or via email at [email protected] .

Just another thing to think about. Per that link, they accept the DAT in lieu of the GRE.

I was accepted to the Barry Option I (1 yr) program and so have done some research on it, but turned down the spot to attend Tulane. Tuition to Barry is $815 per credit hour x 36 credit hours, then there was the expense of housing in miami shores. I want to go to UF so I was in their office a couple of weeks ago and one of the admission counselors told me that a masters program is judged by the course load, course quality, and student performance. After calling other schools around the nation the general consensus was there are hundreds or thousands of master programs available so they will probably not know too much of the program so it will be on your performance and course load to demonstrate your potential. At UF I asked about Barry, they know of them as a masters but thats where it stops, they weren't able to advise me yes or no to the program. Nova however loves the program there. Talking to admissions people from Nova approximately 10 people of their dental class that year will come from Barry.

The one year program classes are held during the day all day while the two year classes are held in the evenings and night. Both programs take the same classes minus maybe research just at different paces. The two year program is supposed to accommodate your need for extra time to study for the DAT/MCAT because you have fewer classes to worry about. The teachers for the classes appear to be the same at least from the schedule that they sent to me.

Last edited:
I was accepted to the Barry Option I (1 yr) program and so have done some research on it, but turned down the spot to attend Tulane. Tuition to Barry is $815 per credit hour x 36 credit hours, then there was the expense of housing in miami shores. I want to go to UF so I was in their office a couple of weeks ago and one of the admission counselors told me that a masters program is judged by the course load, course quality, and student performance. After calling other schools around the nation the general consensus was there are hundreds or thousands of master programs available so they will probably not know too much of the program so it will be on your performance and course load to demonstrate your potential. At UF I asked about Barry, they know of them as a masters but thats where it stops, they weren't able to advise me yes or no to the program. Nova however loves the program there. Talking to admissions people from Nova approximately 10 people of their dental class that year will come from Barry.

The one year program classes are held during the day all day while the two year classes are held in the evenings and night. Both programs take the same classes minus maybe research just at different paces. The two year program is supposed to accommodate your need for extra time to study for the DAT/MCAT because you have fewer classes to worry about. The teachers for the classes appear to be the same at least from the schedule that they sent to me.

Couple of things to clear up real quick:

First, the 1yr students take gross anatomy; 2yr students dont. The 2yr program is designed for students to improve their GPA and/or DAT score; the 1yr program is mainly for students that need to improve their DAT score and possibly DAT score slightly (I remember this specifically from Dr. Laudan). Lastly the professors are the same as the ones from Nova for SOME OF THE COURSES. For example, Neuroanatomy is taught by Dr. Orr at Barry and Dr. Dribin at Nova...

maybe you guys can give me some good advice. i'm not planning on attending either of the colleges but i'm in sort of a similar predicament. I did pretty well on the DATs but the blemish on my application is my GPA. 3.0 overall and science is much lower. i have a year off next year and i was thinking what the best way to use that year off was. if i should work at dental clinic or if i should retake some of my science classes to show them i can do better now. what do you guys think i should do?

Hi!
I was actually thinking about this today but does anybody know the tuition cost for the one year program at Barry? Is the amount different from the two year program? Just the tuition, not including books. I was also wondering if the one year and the two year students take the same classes at the same time and if it is possible to study with each other? Are the classes taken around the same time? And I was wondering how you guys found time to study for the DAT while doing the program and how did you guys study for the classes? A little bit everyday or a few days prior to the exam? Thank you soo much!

Sara

1) tuition for the 1 year prog was around $30k. overall the cost of getting a degree at barry will be much cheaper for the 1 years since they only live in miami (food, util, transportation, clubbing :laugh:) for 1 year vs. the 2years who are there longer. summer session 2 costs slightly more than summer session 1 so there might be some difference in cost there, but other than that tuition should be similar.

2) 1 years and 2 years take "similar" classes. some courses are taken together like neuroanatomy/pathophysiology. biochem is taken with the same professors but 1 years and 2 years don't take them together. the 1 years take courses most of the time with the podiatry students while the 2 years just take it within their group. some courses that ARE NOT taken together or even the same prof is gross anatomy & lab, histology & lab, physiology & lab. so in short, 95% of the time there will not be study groups consisting of 1 and 2 years. the two groups generally stick to themselves academically.

3) most people in the 1 year did not have to retake the DAT/MCAT. and if they did, they did it during the summer AFTER we got our degree. but if you must study for those tests, the summer semesters are pretty chill consisting of 1-2-3 courses only.

4) some classes you will need to keep up with. others you can study a few days before. the coursework is not easy though. you will have to put in your time. most of these courses will be taken again in med/dent school so it would benefit you to learn them now to make them easier for when they "really count" in med/dent school.

hope that helps!

maybe you guys can give me some good advice. i'm not planning on attending either of the colleges but i'm in sort of a similar predicament. I did pretty well on the DATs but the blemish on my application is my GPA. 3.0 overall and science is much lower. i have a year off next year and i was thinking what the best way to use that year off was. if i should work at dental clinic or if i should retake some of my science classes to show them i can do better now. what do you guys think i should do?

From what you are saying, my best advice would be to take additional science classes. My reasoning for this is as follows: If you retake a class that you did bad in and it was an easy class, and if you dont get an A in it, it kinda looks worse than doing nothing at all. Right now, if the admissions committee was to look at that class and saw your trend, they may have questions as what caused you to do bad. But doing bad in the same easy class TWICE, is irrepairable!

NOW, if you did extremely well in a higher level science class that shows admissions a couple of things: first, you can handle high level science classes. Second, the easy class you did bad in looks more like a fluke.

Hope that helps...

problem is that i have taken most of the upper level classes. that's why i was considering retaking some of my earlier classes to show them what happened in the beginning was a fluke and i have learned. that's why i don't know what to do

problem is that i have taken most of the upper level classes. that's why i was considering retaking some of my earlier classes to show them what happened in the beginning was a fluke and i have learned. that's why i don't know what to do

Ahhh. So you didnt do well in both the earlier and later classes. Then I think your only option is to do a SMP (not post bacc) to show dental schools that you can handle an intensive science load in a semester.

If yout take those classes and do well, then those grades plus your DAT score might be enough to get you in... Im assuming that your DAT's are 21+...

Ahhh. So you didnt do well in both the earlier and later classes. Then I think your only option is to do a SMP (not post bacc) to show dental schools that you can handle an intensive science load in a semester.

If yout take those classes and do well, then those grades plus your DAT score might be enough to get you in... Im assuming that your DAT's are 21+...

my scores are as follows:
Bio - 23
Ochem - 20
GChem - 19
TS - 20
PAT - 19
RC - 19
QR - 16
AA - 19

scores are not phenomenal especially compared to some of the people on these forums but i think they're pretty good. as for your advice, what is SMP? i am not familiar with it.

my scores are as follows:
Bio - 23
Ochem - 20
GChem - 19
TS - 20
PAT - 19
RC - 19
QR - 16
AA - 19

scores are not phenomenal especially compared to some of the people on these forums but i think they're pretty good. as for your advice, what is SMP? i am not familiar with it.

SMP= Special Masters Program

Your science scores are great, but that QR sticks out like a sore thumb. I think you may need to retake the DAT, since some schools require 17's now as a minimum. But I could be wrong..

Anyone know if he needs to retake the DAT? Its just the QR...

haha yea that qr sucks. I probably should have went over it at least once before exam day but from what i hear, it's the section that's least looked at. i really don't wanna have to retake the DATs for a section that's barely looked at. Chances are I wont do as well on the Bio section if I take it again haha. as for special masters, i think my school might offer something of the sorts. I will check with them. Thanks for the advice =)

Hey Guys! I am doing a masters in biomedical science at BU! I am currently thinking about applying to dental school! I am not sure if i should apply this year because of my mediocre stats! what do you guys think??

Undergrad 3.83 cumGpa, 3.88 science Bio engineering from John Hopkins!
BU Science GPA 3.94

Bio - 27
Ochem - 25
GChem - 29
TS - 27
PAT - 28
RC - 25
QR - 24
AA - 26

sexykumar, i think you will get in for sure man! don't even trip~

Last edited:
yea i say BS. either that or you just want attention if you think those are mediocre stats. either way congrats if those stats are real. you won't have any trouble getting in.

Why is that BS??? You don't think i am smart enough?? those are some real stats buddy!!!

What are your stats like?????

I think Columbia would wipe their ass with Barry's masters in biomedical science diploma!!!!

Why is that BS??? You don't think i am smart enough?? those are some real stats buddy!!!

Basically what they were saying is that with your off the wall stats, why are you even asking us will you get in or not. Pretty much if your stats are real then you should be able to get into any school in the country. But again as I tell everyone it isn't just about stats it is about being well rounded, you could be a brilliant dentist technically but if you aren't good with people you probably won't be a successful dentist

i'm not bringing your smarts into question. btizzels explained it pretty well. if those really are your stats then kudos on an excellent job. i'm just wondering why you're asking if those "mediocre" stats will be enough to get you in when if you're as smart as you are, you should know that those are phenomenal stats and you really shouldn't have a problem landing interviews.

i agree with you btizzles! but i am not talking about if i would make a good dentist or not! i am talking about getting into dental school! after all its all about numbers these days! i mean they got 3000 apps to look at! they make their first cut based on STATS buddy! don't you agree???

why do you guys keep feeding this troll?

you'd think that someone that went to "Johns Hopkins" would spell it right.

Last edited:
i agree with you btizzles! but i am not talking about if i would make a good dentist or not! i am talking about getting into dental school! after all its all about numbers these days! i mean they got 3000 apps to look at! they make their first cut based on STATS buddy! don't you agree???

W-R-O-N-G. Acceptances are based on a whole bunch of things. The first cuts are by those with high stats, but not all people with high stats get in- just look at the number of people that got rejected on predents. Likewise there are people that make the first cut who dont have great stats (example: those on the waiting list on the year before). there are a lot of things!!!

btizzels, ready for orientation?

W-R-O-N-G. Acceptances are based on a whole bunch of things. The first cuts are by those with high stats, but not all people with high stats get in- just look at the number of people that got rejected on predents. Likewise there are people that make the first cut who dont have great stats (example: those on the waiting list on the year before). there are a lot of things!!!

btizzels, ready for orientation?

Well i lied on my profile, I am still in CA for the next few days and then I am driving out to Ft Laud. But yeah once I get to Florida I will be ready for orientation. Its been a long road to get here and I am excited to finally get started.

Kewl. I guarantee that once October rolls around, all that excitement will be gone...

LOL...

you're awesome kumar! whoever says STATS don't matter is either a minority or in serious denial... if you're indian, it's all about the STATS buddy!!!

mightymouse23 I just pmed u

bumping this for all my peeps.

Also if you got questions about life as a D1 at Nova, let me know. So far, its roughly our 7th week, and im still sane (i think)...

bumping this for all my peeps.

Also if you got questions about life as a D1 at Nova, let me know. So far, its roughly our 7th week, and im still sane (i think)...

You can ask me too about D1 life, but i might not respond the same day. I am usually in my second home (the Library) studying.