Masters Program: Barry University vs. Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Btizz!

Second home? My primary residence is HPD!!!

Well i define home as where I sleep, and since the library kicks me out at midnight, I am forced to go back to my apartment or a bench outside. You should check out the main library it is pretty sweet, and there is a shuttle from HPD too.

Members don't see this ad.

So, is it safe to say that doing well in the Barry 1 year program (along with having a good DAT score) will pretty much get you into Nova dental? I have heard that the Barry program may not be as effective for MD applicants, but that it's more effective for DO and dental applicants. Is that true from your experience?

Also, if Nova only accepted 7 or 8 people for dental, is that good? What is the student body like at Barry? Mostly predents? Mostly premeds? etc.

I'm really interested in Barry and I actually already applied for Fall 2009. I applied for the first time this year for dental schools, but I'm really doubtful as to whether I can receive an acceptance, so... trying to play it safe! :) Thanks mightymouse! :thumbup:

So, is it safe to say that doing well in the Barry 1 year program (along with having a good DAT score) will pretty much get you into Nova dental? I have heard that the Barry program may not be as effective for MD applicants, but that it's more effective for DO and dental applicants. Is that true from your experience?

Also, if Nova only accepted 7 or 8 people for dental, is that good? What is the student body like at Barry? Mostly predents? Mostly premeds? etc.

I'm really interested in Barry and I actually already applied for Fall 2009. I applied for the first time this year for dental schools, but I'm really doubtful as to whether I can receive an acceptance, so... trying to play it safe! :) Thanks mightymouse! :thumbup:

well if you are talking about med school, this is the wrong forum. but about the dental statistics, i know of 1 person from the barry 2008 1-year program that got into nova med. there was also someone from the 2 year program that got into Univ of Miami.....of the southern FL schools (others got into schools outside of FL). nova accepted more than 8 people from the class of 2008. something more towards 12. my feeling is that if you didn;t mess undergrad up too bad, then you have a very good shot granted that you do well at barry. i am now attending a dental school other than nova and doing very well in school. i owe it to my preparation at barry, and not my "name-brand" undergrad education.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yo Yo Yo!!! Hey want Xtract said is right. But to answer your questions directly, here goes. Barry has way more meds than dents, but the number of dents have been increasing over the years. I know that some meds went to some DO schools (NOVA, PCOM, etc) and MD schools like UM, USF, Boston, Tufts. I think there are more schools but cant remember off top of my head.

In terms or doing well in Barry's 1yr and having a good solid DAT should get you into NOVA. But its not as good a guarantee like NOVA's. Best bet is if you have a good GPA now and a good DAT, you may not need to do a masters, but dental school is tougher to get into now, so who knows!

Let me know if you got any other questions. Keep them coming peeps!!!!

What do you mean accredited? For dental school- NO. But its accredited for Podiatry school

Wow, almost a year for this thread, and its still got LIFE!!!!

Be careful with Barry, I was accepted there last year but went elsewhere because things were pretty shady. When I received my acceptance call I was told of the great interaction and placement of their students into certain dental schools. I wrote down all the schools that were mentioned so I could cross reference the claim. Turns out Nova was the only program that even knew Barry existed. Not aware of its existence doesn't constitute a good relationship in my book.

FWIW I was talking to deans of admission not the office lackeys

Not true. UF and Tufts know about the Barry program as well as a few Cali schools like Berkeley. Tufts accepted about 2 Barry students last year before they completed the program. I do agree even with such a low number, you're better off doing a SMP at a widely known school such as Boston or Tufts even if that seems superficial. Barry's website is misleading with their percentages of those matriculating into professional school. The statistics represents those matriculating one year after completing the SMP program, not during the program. If I had to go back, I would have gone to BU or Tufts.

Don't believe the hype that attending Barry will give you a greater chance at being admitted to Nova dental school. By accepting too many Barry students last year, Nova got in trouble (possibly with the Chancellor) and now has told current Barry students that they will not accept them until they complete at least 2 semesters worth which means completing the masters program for option I- 1 year students.

What I do like about the program are:
- non-thesis
- the upper level science courses such as Head & Neck, Neuroanatomy, Physiology, Gross Anatomy, Histology, etc that we'll end up seeing again in professional school
- most professors are caring and helpful
- everyone is not competitive with each other and actually try to help each other

Last edited:
I am goin to barry in Fall.

I have a question for Mightymouse. Do you know anyone personally that has got into dental school after completing the progrm? If yes, which school were they accepted at?

Thank you

Last edited:
Here is a list of medical and dental schools of those having completed the Barry program, and yes, I do personally know quite a few that have gotten into dental school: SIU, UF, NYU, USC, Nova, Tufts to name a few.

THank you for the answer.
I am just worried that because barry is not as reputable, good dental schools do not take it seriously

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am goin to barry in Fall.

I have a question for Mightymouse. Do you know anyone personally that has got into dental school after completing the progrm? If yes, which school were they accepted at?

Thank you

Right off the top of my head I know people that got into:
-NOVA
-UF
-Tufts
-USC
-Howard

might be others, but just remember the specifics right now...

-NOVA
-UF
-Tufts
-USC
-Howard

I applied to this program about a month ago and haven't heard anything back?? does anyone know when they'll start reviewing/ sending out interviews??? for pre-dentals that is.

thanks

I applied to this program about a month ago and haven't heard anything back?? does anyone know when they'll start reviewing/ sending out interviews??? for pre-dentals that is.

thanks

Depends if your application is complete or not. I sent all my stuff but didn't know I was considered international and had to fill out and submit a course-by-course evaluation of my degree. Thats what hindered my application. However upon successfull completion of your application you should be able to get a 1 week turnaround. They are pretty fast.

Hey Guys, I have a couple questions about NOVA MBC

1. Is it true that if you maintain a 4.0 you are guaranteed a spot in the NSU dental school and if you maintain a certain GPA you are guaranteed an interview?

2. Do people who take the MBS at NOVA greatly increase their chance of getting into NOVA dental?

3Also, how does the NOVA program compare to other programs (BU, Temple, UMDNJ, VCU)? I got into the VCU Certificate program and I'm waiting to hear back from other school.

Thanks!

1. This was true in the past but not anymore. You are only guaranteed an interview but not a seat in the actual dental class

2. Chances are not greatly increased. I know of a classmate at Barry's BMS who had completed Nova's BMS prior and still couldn't get in.

3. I would recommend going to BU, Temple or UMDNJ over Nova

Thanks for your help phungy. I emailed the admissions counselor about direct admission and she said that, "We can never guarantee a seat but that is the track that students have followed in the past. You must achieve an 80 average in every class in order to be a successful candidate to the Dental School."

Does anyone know what type of questions they ask for the interview?

For BMS or dental? If its dental, there's an interview feedback forum. I'm not sure if Nova interviews for BMS positions (possibly since there's only 10 seats?) but most other BMS programs do not require an interview.

I was asking about the MBS interview which I have next week. I guess they'll probably ask the same type of questions as the dental school would. Thanks for the link.

Waiting for a response. How did you get the interview invite. Email or phone call. When did you apply. Thanks

I applied the last week of January and I received a phone call May 4th inviting me for an interview.

Lets clarify somethings real fast...

1. This was true in the past but not anymore. You are only guaranteed an interview but not a seat in the actual dental class-
If you've been accepted into the Dental MBS program, they hold spots for you for the next application cycle. I.E. if there are 105 spots and 5 people got into MBS, the number of available spots for the next application is 100

2. Chances are not greatly increased. I know of a classmate at Barry's BMS who had completed Nova's BMS prior and still couldn't get in.-
This is ******ed! If you did NOVA's MBS program, and got atleast an 80 or above in every class, youre gonna be a D1- clear and simple.

3. In terms of going to Temple, BU, or UMDNJ over NOVA- that's pure opinion. I will say this. If anyone that has been to Temple, they will tell you that the machines are falling apart, and its a dismal place to be. When i was there for my interview that was the first thing i noticed. Your gonna be spending 50+ hours a week for 4 years in a place- you kinda want it to be okay

Well I've called and asked, admissions said spots are not longer held for people in the MBS program: "The only thing you are guaranteed is a spot for an interview, not a spot in the dental class."

Also, I personally know of someone who did Nova's BMS program, got at least Bs and did NOT get in. I'm sure there are more similar cases but just letting you all know that the program is not fool proof, as with other BMS programs. This shouldn't steer you away from doing the program though.

All the students and faculty within the MBS program said if you get an 80% or above in every class you have a seat waiting for you in the dental school the following year.

All the students and faculty within the MBS program said if you get an 80% or above in every class you have a seat waiting for you in the dental school the following year.

Any specific names you remember?

Emmie,

Yea they do take students from other masters, not just Nova. I remember hearing that from many different faculty members. I just dont think that they have taken anyone from a different program in the last two years. But that could be cause they have so little spots available

hope that helps out

Well I've called and asked, admissions said spots are not longer held for people in the MBS program: "The only thing you are guaranteed is a spot for an interview, not a spot in the dental class."

Also, I personally know of someone who did Nova's BMS program, got at least Bs and did NOT get in. I'm sure there are more similar cases but just letting you all know that the program is not fool proof, as with other BMS programs. This shouldn't steer you away from doing the program though.

Well tell that to this year's group that just finished and are matriculating to D1's next year...

In 2007, 14 Barry BMS students were accepted to Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine. NSU-CDM loves our program as well as our students. Attend Barry and you will get into dental school.

Over the past 25 years, 78% of the graduates from Barry's biomedical sciences program have been accepted to medical and dental schools. In 2008, 72 out of 78 of our graduates (92%) were accepted to medical or dental school for the fall 2009 semester. We have a long history of preparing students for medical / dental schools.

Dr. Lauden, on Barry's website your last name is spelled Laudan, is there some mistake here?

-NOVA
-UF
-Tufts
-USC
-Howard

Off of the top of your head you know people that got into UF? Could you PM me with a name of someone that you know that has gotten into UFCD? I'm at Barry and I know most of the students at UFCD, as I did undergrad and grad school at UF.

Also, in the biomedical sciences building at barry, there is a list of students that got into various dental and medical schools from the BMS programs. UFCD is not listed

Actually, Dr. Lauden - you would be able to verify this, as this is the same building in which your office sits.

Yo Yo Yo!!! Hey want Xtract said is right. But to answer your questions directly, here goes. Barry has way more meds than dents, but the number of dents have been increasing over the years. I know that some meds went to some DO schools (NOVA, PCOM, etc) and MD schools like UM, USF, Boston, Tufts. I think there are more schools but cant remember off top of my head.

In terms or doing well in Barry's 1yr and having a good solid DAT should get you into NOVA. But its not as good a guarantee like NOVA's. Best bet is if you have a good GPA now and a good DAT, you may not need to do a masters, but dental school is tougher to get into now, so who knows!

Let me know if you got any other questions. Keep them coming peeps!!!!

I wonder why Dr. Lippman told me the other day that he can no longer guarantee spots in the D1 class from the Nova's masters program? He told me that they guarantee you an interview if you do well, and so from there you may have a good chance of being accepted. But you are in no way guaranteed a seat. Alex Lichtman and Sue-Ann Zarrett said the same thing on the phone. Maybe I was lied to?

I'm trying to confirm this for my roommates who are trying to find the best MS program for dental.

Can you apply to other dental schools while in nova's mbs program? Apparently at TEmple's post bacc that is a linkage as well, you're not allowed to apply anywhere else or you can get kicked out of the program.

Can you apply to other dental schools while in nova's mbs program? Apparently at TEmple's post bacc that is a linkage as well, you're not allowed to apply anywhere else or you can get kicked out of the program.

Of course you can. I have not heard of Temple's post bacc program but I know of a Nova MBS/BMS student that also did Barry's Option I twice and got accepted to Tufts dental, surprisingly.

Well tell that to this year's group that just finished and are matriculating to D1's next year...

I'll clarify this once more, I've personally asked admissions as well as emailed Nova's BMS/MBS program and they specifically told me that there is no longer a guaranteed acceptance, only a guaranteed interview. You're telling me that you know every single person in the program and all of them got into Nova? That's BS.

Phungy - I was in the MBS program this year, and I knew everyone in the program. Everyone matriculated into the D1 year with the exception of a few that did not have an 80% or more in all their classes. Hope this clears things up.

Of course you can. I have not heard of Temple's post bacc program but I know of a Nova MBS/BMS student that also did Barry's Option I twice and got accepted to Tufts dental, surprisingly.

I'll clarify this once more, I've personally asked admissions as well as emailed Nova's BMS/MBS program and they specifically told me that there is no longer a guaranteed acceptance, only a guaranteed interview. You're telling me that you know every single person in the program and all of them got into Nova? That's BS.

I also knew most of them and yes (the ones that got 80%)they got in, no its not BS. They took the most of the same classes as the D1s and had to get at least an 80 in order to get into the next years D1 class. I would say they definitely earned their spot in the class

Can anyone comment on the grading scale at Barry and how that translates to the AADSAS GPA?

My understanding is that Barry grades as follows:
90-100: A
80-89: B
70-79: C
60-69: D
<60: F

Given that AADSAS will convert the letter grade to their own GPA, getting an 88 in every class at Barry will only give you a B, which for AADSAS is a 3.0. :confused:

Sorry that I havent replied sooner, but been studying for boards. Actually, I can say with good confidence that I do know all the people that matriculated to becoming D1's that were in the masters program. I knew all the people this year. I knew all the people in my year. I knew the people in the class before my year. And those individuals knew the students before them, and they said the same thing.

So that's 4 yrs of students becoming a D1 after doing the MBS program at Nova (assuming they all got atleast a B or better). If you choose to believe it, that's your choice. And if its too good to be true to you, then just dont apply- I'm sure there are plenty of other, more serious students who are more than happy to fill your application spot.

Can you answer Shovon's questions? You completely missed or ignored them.

Anyways, I was more than happy to decline my acceptance at Nova. I know of a few students that failed D1 at Nova and were let back to repeat. Classy institution.

Shovon, I'll get to your question or just PM me when you get a chance

Phungy, if you think that in every dental school no one EVER fails a class, then maybe you havent heard of schools like NYU where a bunch of people dont matriculate to becoming a D2. And in regards to those individuals who had to retake their D1 year, you dont know the circumstances...

Mightymouse, do you know the facts? Do you even attend NYU? Fact was 3 people were not able to matriculate due to family issues or did not try. "3" is not "a bunch of people don't matriculate". You're pretty gullible for believing rumors. I got the facts straight from Bolan, Director of Student Affairs. The rumors are not true. And in regards to Rob, the one who failed D1 from Nova, yes I do know his circumstances too. If you're not me, don't make assumptions.

hi all

I just got accepted to the 18-month program at Barry and was wondering if it was worth the time/money to attend, or should i hold out and apply for NOVA or another masters program.

also, is it possible to take a heavy load and finish the 2yr program early?

thanks for the info!

Hey st3go I was accpeted to the 18 month program too! From what Dr. Lauden told me I believe you can finish the program in a year if you take summer school..which I might actually do! I know NOVAs program is better because you are guaranteed to get into their dental school if you complete the program with a 3.0? but they accept very few people into their program...

Can someone please guide me to the website that has information about the Nova 1yr Masters program? I can only find information about their 2yr program. Thanks :)

Havent been here in awhile. Gonna do some quick replies...

Biosev- The 2yr program is the same program- At the end of the 1st year, you automatically matriculate as a D1 if you have earned over an 80 in all the courses you have taken.

Phungy, I know "Robb" personally well and his situation, as well as the situations of the other individuals who never matriculated to becoming a D2. Our class especially is tight knit, and we all look out for each other...

Also, for those that are still inquiring about the masters at Barry, I heard that Dr. Laudan is no longer affilitated with the university, so I dont know who the new director will be

Good luck to all those applying!