• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Jun 3, 2020
Hey all....I would love some input. I have an undergraduate degree in psychology, and love learning about the factors that drive and influence human behavior. I am extremely interested in topics surround empathy, compassion, motivation. I find these topics fascinating but I also have a deep interest to learn more about biology, anatomy, and general medicine. At this point I have been considering pursuing a masters degree as a clinical social worker or perhaps a nursing program but neither of these career choices, alone, seem to satisfy my interest in both psychology and “science”. I recently stumbled across the major behavioral neuroscience and this seems to be right up my ally but again, it is an undergraduate degree. If anyone on here knows of a career path similar to behavioral neurology that is a masters program I would love to hear about it. I don’t really want to spend another 4 years in school due to time and money, this is why I am trying to find a masters program but I am open to hearing about other my long term options as well. Thanks!

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Do you want to be a clinician?

R. Matey

A Pirate
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Treasure Island
Status
Post Doc
Do you want to be a clinician?
This is a good question. If you want to be a licensed clinician at the master's level doing psychotherapy, what you're asking for does not exist. It's difficult to train the skills necessary to do psychotherapy and science in the usual time to degree. Heck, this is what we aim to do at the doctoral level and the outcome isn't always what we want it to be.

The only other thought I had on this is have you considered genetic counseling? If you have an interest in applied work that is based in heavy duty science at the master's level, that's not a terrible choice.

About the Ads

Tangerine123

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hey all....I would love some input. I have an undergraduate degree in psychology, and love learning about the factors that drive and influence human behavior. I am extremely interested in topics surround empathy, compassion, motivation. I find these topics fascinating but I also have a deep interest to learn more about biology, anatomy, and general medicine. At this point I have been considering pursuing a masters degree as a clinical social worker or perhaps a nursing program but neither of these career choices, alone, seem to satisfy my interest in both psychology and “science”. I recently stumbled across the major behavioral neuroscience and this seems to be right up my ally but again, it is an undergraduate degree. If anyone on here knows of a career path similar to behavioral neurology that is a masters program I would love to hear about it. I don’t really want to spend another 4 years in school due to time and money, this is why I am trying to find a masters program but I am open to hearing about other my long term options as well. Thanks!
If you are willing to move to Europe for 2 years, Irecommend this program at my university (Ranked #32 world wide by Times Higher Education, if that helps at all) They do top-notch research. Theprogram lasts 2 years and is taught in English.

Higher education in Germany is basically free, so you would only have to pay your living expenses and there are many scholarship opportunities. Hell, I think you would pay less in total (expenses and all) compared to doing a masters in the US

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
I guess I'm just curious if the masters is even necessary for what kind of jobs a person could do in research with a masters in the US. Lab managers have a variety of backgrounds, most I've known have been bachelors degrees. What research positions would this qualify someone for that they couldn't get without it?>

Reactions: R. Matey

chicandtoughness

5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Your problem is wanting a program that gives good clinical training in addition to scientific training. It’s just impossible to do this in 2-3 years at the masters level. Given your interest in research, why aren’t you going for the PhD?

Last edited:
About the Ads