Match Day 2017!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all our MS4's out there!
We can compile school match lists here, since many applicants like to see these lists and help them decide between schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all our MS4's out there!
We can compile school match lists here, since many applicants like to see these lists and help them decide between schools.
Good luck trying to manually compile ~19000 placements.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they just meant to post the school links haha

Hahahah, of course! The ones available anyway. SDN has done this in the past and I found it interesting, that's all.

St Patricks day and Match day? RIP M4's livers

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A reminder to take these with a grain of salt. Match lists include people who did not match last year, people who did not match into the specialty they want, people who may have good matches that were really #10 on their list for personal reasons, people who are willing to sacrifice residency "tier" for location. The lists also don't include people who do not match.

My school had 7 people match into one of the most competitive fields....9 people applied. Those 2 unmatched people are not on the match list. We had 2 out of 5 applicants match into ortho last year. Several of the people who matched into the tippy top programs for their field, had a research year. That isn't shown on the match list. Keep that in mind when looking at the lists

Reactions: 2 users
A reminder to take these with a grain of salt. Match lists include people who did not match last year, people who did not match into the specialty they want, people who may have good matches that were really #10 on their list for personal reasons, people who are willing to sacrifice residency "tier" for location. The lists also don't include people who do not match.

My school had 7 people match into one of the most competitive fields....9 people applied. Those 2 unmatched people are not on the match list. We had 2 out of 5 applicants match into ortho last year. Several of the people who matched into the tippy top programs for their field, had a research year. That isn't shown on the match list. Keep that in mind when looking at the lists

This is exactly why @Goro likes to say reading match lists is like reading tea leaves.

Match lists also do not tell you hwat residency programs are good, and which ones are toxic. Don't be starry-eyed just because a name has, say, Vanderbilt on it. Vandy's Gen Surg could be great, but Vandy's Derm could be terrible. Only people int he field can tell you what's good and what's not.

Will a major in Astrology or Tea Reading look better to AdComs?

I would suggest Astrology. Tea Reading is from Asia and Asians are ORM. That might hurt your chances of getting into med school

Reactions: 1 users
Match lists also do not tell you hwat residency programs are good, and which ones are toxic. Don't be starry-eyed just because a name has, say, Vanderbilt on it. Vandy's Gen Surg could be great, but Vandy's Derm could be terrible. Only people int he field can tell you what's good and what's not.
Is there any terrible derm residency? I am sure people would love to even go to a toxic program as long as they dont have a tendency to fire people mid residency.

I would suggest Astrology. Tea Reading is from Asia and Asians are ORM. That might hurt your chances of getting into med school
Unfortunately Astrology is also Asian and Middle Eastern in origin. I'm screwed either way :(.

Unfortunately Astrology is also Asian and Middle Eastern in origin. I'm screwed either way :(.
Homeopathy, Dianetics, phrenology,radionics, Magnet therapy, so many good majors that avoid that bias.

or my favorite. Wumbology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience

"
  • Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) or osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) – the core technique of osteopathic medicine. OMM is based on a philosophy devised by Andrew Taylor Still (1828–1917) who held that the body had self-regulating mechanisms that could be harnessed through manipulating the bones, tendons and muscles. It has been proposed as a treatment for a number of human ailments including Parkinson's disease, pancreatitis, and pneumonia but has only been found to be effective for lower back pain by virtue of the spinal manipulation used.[46][47][48] It has long been regarded as rooted in "pseudoscientific dogma".[49] In 2010, Steven Salzberg referred to the OMT-specific training given by colleges of osteopathic medicine as "training in pseudoscientific practices".[50]
MFW
tumblr_lmczuo58sZ1qafrh6.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience

"
  • Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) or osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) – the core technique of osteopathic medicine. OMM is based on a philosophy devised by Andrew Taylor Still (1828–1917) who held that the body had self-regulating mechanisms that could be harnessed through manipulating the bones, tendons and muscles. It has been proposed as a treatment for a number of human ailments including Parkinson's disease, pancreatitis, and pneumonia but has only been found to be effective for lower back pain by virtue of the spinal manipulation used.[46][47][48] It has long been regarded as rooted in "pseudoscientific dogma".[49] In 2010, Steven Salzberg referred to the OMT-specific training given by colleges of osteopathic medicine as "training in pseudoscientific practices".[50]
MFW
tumblr_lmczuo58sZ1qafrh6.jpg

lol @Goro when he reads ur post

star_trek_cap_angry_kirk.jpg

Didn't know where to post this gem, but.....related: