Match Day 2019 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted as I do every year in some form. In honor of those who will match into pediatrics on March 15, 2019

Just another day now..:scared:

Let us know today where you're going to spend the next 3 years.

As you open your envelope and see that you won the match day lottery, and got the place of your dreams, your significant other's dreams or at least a place that you know will work well for you, please remember to be humble about your accomplishments and where you matched. Brag to your mom and dad and your significant other. Give your dog a piece of your steak dinner or at least a bit of a cookie. Drink a few glasses of cheap wine. But remember that some of your classmates, even those who matched in their top "whatever", will be disappointed that they didn't get their #1 or another of their top few choices. It's a crummy feeling and they have a right to be upset for not achieving a personal goal.

Wherever you matched, the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll do well and be happy there. I matched at my #3, not a place in the top rankings, and lived to tell the tale of a great experience there. No one ever will ask when you are an attending where you matched on your ROL. Actually, they'll say - "yeah, that's a great place", wherever it was.

Welcome to residency, let the match day festivities begin. Always remember it is a privilege to care for children and advocate for them. Now more than ever we need to stand up for immunizations, child nutrition, reasonable gun policies, honorable immigration policies, etc, etc. You are soon to be a part of a wonderful group of doctors who have dedicated their lives to this task and I am grateful that you have done so. Join the AAP - they are the voice of children we have as physicians and do a wonderful job of supporting us and children's rights. As I sit now at an AAP leadership committee meeting, I am reminded that residents have a powerful voice at the AAP and in the halls of legislative bodies.

Thank you for joining us in pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone! For the record, I *also* matched at my #3 for residency (a little more recently than OBP, but I'm still shocked how long ago it was now thinking back on it)--and I'm very happy with how my life has turned out. I met some amazing friends and colleagues in residency, found my wife in a city that I would not have otherwise gone to, and fell in love with a sub-specialty that I only got excited about because of the incredible mentors I had at my program. The next three years will be a very special time.

Wherever you are going, congratulations, and welcome :)

Welcome to pediatrics!! I matched at my #4 for residency and honestly can’t imagine my path turning out any other way. I’m now in the best fellowship for me and anticipate being super productive during this time.

Last edited:
Matched at #1 and still have no clue how I did it. Amazing people and program! Super excited for July 1.

Reactions: 1 users