Match Day 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Match Day for the Class of 2023. I know it is a little early, but I thought of making the thread since the CASPR/CRIP interviews will be live in Texas this year (from Jan 12-17). You will receive interview invites from your selected programs in the coming weeks. I hope students participating in the live interview process will return here and post their experiences (social vs. a case workup).

As we move forward to the rankings and match day in March of 2023, I hope to follow the simial format to last year's. Good luck to everyone applying, and please post any questions or comments only related to the Match process for the Class of 2023.

AACPM: AACPM's CASPR & CRIP Programs - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

Post in a similar order as below:

# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in):

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
In anticipation of your incoming interviews, I will post a few questions that I was asked. I would also request current residents/recent grads to share anything else they can for the class of 2023 to prep for the interviews (which will be live in Tx). @Weirdy @de Ribas @Podstar
Also, please review the clinical materials I have made a sticky about.

-Most of the interviews will either be a case workup, social, or both
-If it is social or if there is a second part of the interview in a restaurant or a bar: do not make a joke of yourself by drinking or acting abnormally
-The residents will be taking note of all the interviewees there and how they act
-If there is a case workup, know how to read X-rays, CT, and MRIs for the primary foot/ankle pathologies, and know the normal angles
-Chances are you will be asked about a fracture of some type, something where a classification system exists
-Knowing the next step after a patient is admitted to the ER will help
-Know your average lab values
-At the end, learn to formulate your diagnosis and state it as "based on the presentation, imaging, PE exam, and the labs I believe the patient has."
-Try not to give a direct diagnosis unless you know 100% what it is
-If asked about a bunion workup, don't try to guess PASA/DASA values. Try to state the usual in one format. Do not try to jump from one side to other. Follow a systematic way to read the angles (i.e., distal to proximal). Also, many students miss the met parabola and adductus angle, so mention these.
-Be ready to answer questions like "why our program."
-Describe your time with us during the externship: what did you like, what you didn't like
-Tell us something that can improve our program
-If you couldn't extern or visit a program but are interviewing with them, be ready to answer why you didn't at least visit them.
-If you can't answer something specific, do not lie or make stuff up. Tell them you don't know but will look it up afterward.

General tips:
-If you completed an externship for a program, chances are everyone there already knows you but still be presentable, honest, make eye contact, and be professional
-Wear something business casual
-You don't have to, but you can bring a binder/portfolio/pen and take note of any additional info you learned that day about the program
-Have a question or two ready for the program
-If you like that program and will be ranking them number 1, tell them that
-However, if you are ranking them number 1, then make sure to do it and do not lie about it; being honest about the ranking goes a long way for everyone involved
-Get a good night's sleep before and have fun
-Make sure to eat breakfast if you have an early start

Good luck!

• Care
In anticipation of your incoming interviews, I will post a few questions that I was asked. I would also request current residents/recent grads to share anything else they can for the class of 2023 to prep for the interviews (which will be live in Tx). @Weirdy @de Ribas @Podstar
Also, please review the clinical materials I have made a sticky about.

-Most of the interviews will either be a case workup, social, or both
-If it is social or if there is a second part of the interview in a restaurant or a bar: do not make a joke of yourself by drinking or acting abnormally
-The residents will be taking note of all the interviewees there and how they act
-If there is a case workup, know how to read X-rays, CT, and MRIs for the primary foot/ankle pathologies, and know the normal angles
-Chances are you will be asked about a fracture of some type, something where a classification system exists
-Knowing the next step after a patient is admitted to the ER will help
-Know your average lab values
-At the end, learn to formulate your diagnosis and state it as "based on the presentation, imaging, PE exam, and the labs I believe the patient has."
-Try not to give a direct diagnosis unless you know 100% what it is
-If asked about a bunion workup, don't try to guess PASA/DASA values. Try to state the usual in one format. Do not try to jump from one side to other. Follow a systematic way to read the angles (i.e., distal to proximal). Also, many students miss the met parabola and adductus angle, so mention these.
-Be ready to answer questions like "why our program."
-Describe your time with us during the externship: what did you like, what you didn't like
-Tell us something that can improve our program
-If you couldn't extern or visit a program but are interviewing with them, be ready to answer why you didn't at least visit them.
-If you can't answer something specific, do not lie or make stuff up. Tell them you don't know but will look it up afterward.

General tips:
-If you completed an externship for a program, chances are everyone there already knows you but still be presentable, honest, make eye contact, and be professional
-Wear something business casual
-You don't have to, but you can bring a binder/portfolio/pen and take note of any additional info you learned that day about the program
-Have a question or two ready for the program
-If you like that program and will be ranking them number 1, tell them that
-However, if you are ranking them number 1, then make sure to do it and do not lie about it; being honest about the ranking goes a long way for everyone involved
-Get a good night's sleep before and have fun
-Make sure to eat breakfast if you have an early start

Good luck!
All good points. Not much to add. I have never been to Texas interviews yet so our class virtual interview experience might be different. Idk. Honestly, as a resident, what I care the most is how was your month. Now, just be your self, be honest, do your best. Basically, if you studied well in pod school and for your part 2 then you should be ready to answer most of the academic questions. Most of my interviews were short social ones. Academically everyone should be at a similar level. It is social questions that might set people apart. So be ready to answer why podiatry, why them, where you see yourself in 5-10 years, what you would change (or not) about their program. What are your strengths, weakness, who you are, etc. The list can be very long. Basically have something to say about these common questions and if asked a question not prepared for, pause, think and just say how it is. Don't stay numb, don't lie, don't make things up.

For most people their interview is basically done as an extern. Just be your normal self now. 1 or 2 missed academic questions won't change anything. 1-2 weird social questions won't change anything.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For interviews:

Academics/Clinicals: Come academically prepared. Basic abx with alternatives for allergies or bugs. Surgical fixation for common stuff (bunions, ankle fx etc). Reading/interpreting basic CBC/BMP/CRP/Sed rate and having a plan. Admission criteria. Reading/interpreting XR and how you want to fix. Random trivia stuff.

Social: Be yourself. People don't know how to do this apparently. Have a short summary of who you are, what you like to do outside of the hospital, what best sums up your character in 2-3 sentences max. They may ask follow up questions. Have 1 or 2 specific hobbies you like to do. Be specific if you talk about it- sets you apart from the generic.

Finishing touches: Always have a question you want to ask, even if you already know everyone and everything about the program. Ask about their future plans. Something, anything.

In person considerations: You need to dress up and rehearse your responses in a mirror. Even if you are a social stud, you will trip over things you say or mutter or have fillers. This is no longer an online interview where you have the safety and comfort of a screen to hide behind. You will be there in person, sitting in front of actual attendings. Rehearse your responses at least twice, say it out loud. You will realize how awkward it sounds. This will break the ice for yourself.

If you have issues with social anxiety, nerves, etc- practice practice practice. You will never get over the discomfort of being there in person, but you can get comfortable being uncomfortable. If nothing else, learning how to talk/present yourself when you are inwardly freaking out will already set you apart from your old self. Sweaty palms mom's spaghetti whatever- point is start getting used to your own nerves and being able to articulate answers and present yourself well even if you are nervous.

Have a routine. Dress well. Now is NOT the time to look like a slob. Dress to kill. Groom properly. Get your workout in after those interviews, blow off steam and catch up with classmates. Don't make a fool of yourself getting ***faced the night prior to an interview.

More to come

Last edited:
  • Care
1. Be normal
2. Don’t study while you’re there. Just don’t.
3. Practice practice practice. Students just fail at the simple question of “tell us about yourself” they proceed to spend 3 mins giving us a life history from their birth to college. No.
4. Don’t listen or believe any rumors. Just don’t.
5. Just have a good time. Enjoy the food in Frisco. The bar across the street is where the action is at.

Reactions: 3 users
I think everything that has been posted is great. I’ll just add one thing. Now is the time to be texting residents and letting them know if you want to come to their program and that they are your number one choice.

To add to what podstar said:

Don't tell EVERYONE they are your number 1. Does you no favors and they will remember when you eventually match somewhere else.

You can tell them "You are in my top 3" etc if you want to keep it vague and not offend them.

Screenshot_20221213_171124_Chrome.jpg

Wear these

Reactions: 8 users
I think everything that has been posted is great. I’ll just add one thing. Now is the time to be texting residents and letting them know if you want to come to their program and that they are your number one choice.
Has this been a good idea for all programs represented on this forum? I feel like I've heard mixed reviews on telling programs they're your #1 before interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Has this been a good idea for all programs represented on this forum? I feel like I've heard mixed reviews on telling programs they're your #1 before interviews.
Maybe I was too literal. I said this to my top program. “Hey ____ I just wanted to reach out and let you know I really want to be a resident at your program. I felt like I had a great externship month and really got along great with everyone and feel like I would be a great fit.”

Reactions: 2 users
Do any of you guys know approximately what percent of students get their first pick for residency? I guess it would be for the 2022 match if you know the stats.

If not, is there a way to ballpark that number?

I'm well aware of schools almost always having 98-100% match rates but I'm also aware some of it isn't first choice and some of it is even scramble.

Reactions: 1 users
Do any of you guys know approximately what percent of students get their first pick for residency? I guess it would be for the 2022 match if you know the stats.

If not, is there a way to ballpark that number?

I'm well aware of schools almost always having 98-100% match rates but I'm also aware some of it isn't first choice and some of it is even scramble.
Those sort of statistics would be meaningless since you should always be reaching for the best program you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is about Match Day for the Class of 2023. I know it is a little early, but I thought of making the thread since the CASPR/CRIP interviews will be live in Texas this year (from Jan 12-17). You will receive interview invites from your selected programs in the coming weeks. I hope students participating in the live interview process will return here and post their experiences (social vs. a case workup).

As we move forward to the rankings and match day in March of 2023, I hope to follow the simial format to last year's. Good luck to everyone applying, and please post any questions or comments only related to the Match process for the Class of 2023.

AACPM: AACPM's CASPR & CRIP Programs - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

Post in a similar order as below:

# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in):
Good luck everyone! Remember the program you get is still at the end of the day what you make of it. I know friends who got into the program of their dreams and it didn't go well and other friends who ended up across the country and they worked hard, made it their own and are more successful than most. :)

What SoCal said.

Rank where you want to go. Don't play the game.
I had no problem getting all of the programs I wanted and subjectively felt I had above average shots at all 7 I ranked. I also clerked and ranked realistically.

The advantage is in your favor if you worked hard and at minimum have normal human being skills.

Good luck to all those taking Part 2 this Thursday! Remember, your first choice is usually the correct one. After receiving the score, make a thread and talk about your experiences and study resources if anyone would like.

Less than a month to go for the Class of 2023 to find out where they will spend the next 3-years of their training. I hope you all match at your #1 ranked programs. Please review the new rules about SOAP/MP2 on the caspr website if you don't and need to scramble. Enjoy the time and maybe brush on weaker areas in preparation for residency.

The wait-to-match day is not fun but part of the journey.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else in disbelief that we find out if we match in a week (March 9th). Fingers crossed that the NMS system doesn't crash lol.
Tired Over It GIF

And then another week after to find out WHERE.

Just an informal poll, I was discussing with a friend of mine, what do y'all think is more likely (statistically):

Matching with a bottom ranked program (for example, matching with number 10/10 on your list)

or scrambling *match part 2*

Just an informal poll, I was discussing with a friend of mine, what do y'all think is more likely (statistically):

Matching with a bottom ranked program (for example, matching with number 10/10 on your list)

or scrambling *match part 2*
Depends if you were a total doofus during clerkships/didn't rank realistically.

If you did everything normal, you should have zero reason to not match your top 2 if not top 5 at very least.

The rank system is built in your favor. More likely 10/10

Last edited:
Weirdy's last post makes me wonder. How many did everyone rank? I ranked 4.

I ranked 4. Maybe a bad strategy to not rank more but i guess we'll find out :cool:.

Wow that is stupid. When I graduated in 2015, we found out where on the same day we matched. I think they are just trying to be more like MD/DO.
The end result of the new system is that the match and the scramble both reveal results on the same day.

It also means that you can't use your friends match to assist your scramble ie. your friend matches at program X and program X is in the scramble - you ask your friend to call the program director on your behalf.

My suspicion is the goal was to obscure the stigma of scrambling.

I ranked 4. Maybe a bad strategy to not rank more but i guess we'll find out :cool:.
You rank what you have available. Let's say you do 7 clerkships. You hate 2-3 of them. You try to add some interviews at programs that don't have clerkships. Maybe you net a few more interviews. Maybe you only rank what you know. In the end - you aren't going to go to 40 interviews so you just do what you can do. Obviously receiving positive feedback about being highly ranked can be a lovely tonic for the anxiety that is your life.

Ranked 7 programs. Programs 1-6 I would be ecstatic for. Program 7 and I'll be extremely sad and match day will be a disappointment. Program 7 will provide good training.....just really really do not want to go there. Training is really all I care about and program 7 is definitely better than 99% of programs that scramble (in case you are wondering why I ranked it).

Ranked 7 programs. Programs 1-6 I would be ecstatic for. Program 7 and I'll be extremely sad and match day will be a disappointment. Program 7 will provide good training.....just really really do not want to go there. Training is really all I care about and program 7 is definitely better than 99% of programs that scramble (in case you are wondering why I ranked it).
Agree with what Bob says.
Tier your rank system if it helps.

1st Tier: Rank where you want to go first. Whether that's 3 places or 7 places- get a feel for what you clerked at and how they felt towards you, figure it out and slap them in.

2nd Tier: Rank where you know you'll get good training- even if area/atmosphere sucks.

3rd Tier: Anything after that is just what you can tolerate.

Bob, I'm sure it will all work out for you in the end! ;) I ranked 5 programs. 1-3 I'd be ecstatic. Program #4 is 2nd tier and #5 is more of the 3rd tier that Weirdy mentions above. Maybe I should've ranked more, but got very good feedback from 4 of the 5 so hopefully I'll be alright.

The people who didn't match or matched near bottom of list were usually a combination of the following:

- didn't rank realistically
- no self awareness to see if a program wanted them or not
- personality/character flaws that the programs they ranked didn't like

There were an even smaller percentage that ranked knowing they'd go into match because they just didn't jive with any of the places they clerked at. Smart, hardworking, just didn't like any of the programs they went to and were willing to risk it in scramble. These I could count on my fingers though so very very rare. They also knew with their stats and personality- they could and would scramble at one of the handful of better programs within the scramble.

If you did everything normal, you should have zero reason to not match your top 2 if not top 5 at very least.

Condescending and incorrect when some program directors pick based on: nepotism, attractiveness, etc

Some directors are highly biased on picking from certain schools only as well

If you scramble don’t take it personally. just be aggressive in the scramble.

Condescending and incorrect when some program directors pick based on: nepotism, attractiveness, etc

Some directors are highly biased on picking from certain schools only as well

If you scramble don’t take it personally. just be aggressive in the scramble.
Let me rephrase

There are programs that are exactly what you've described. Cherry picking based on stats, physical attractiveness, kiss a&&serry etc.

The people I associate with don't go to those places. They know better after clerking at those programs that those places will tell you one thing and screw you over despite you putting in 5x amount of work as the attractive girl next to you who's done nothing but kiss butt.

But in no way is my response condescending. There are genuinely people who have zero self awareness and thought they were worth more to the program than they actually were.

Let me rephrase

There are programs that are exactly what you've described. Cherry picking based on stats, physical attractiveness, kiss a&&serry etc.

The people I associate with don't go to those places. They know better after clerking at those programs that those places will tell you one thing and screw you over despite you putting in 5x amount of work as the attractive girl next to you who's done nothing but kiss butt.

But in no way is my response condescending. There are genuinely people who have zero self awareness and thought they were worth more to the program than they actually were.

Name and shame, name and shame!

Reactions: 3 users

This statement just seems statistically flawed. Most externships I went on had about 20-30 students rotating total in the year. On average these programs were taking 2 people. You're saying "if you did everything normal and average you should be top 2 of the 20 people who were interested in that same spot as you"......?

There are genuinely people who have zero self awareness and thought they were worth more to the program than they actually were.
These months are the most painful when your co-extern has zero self awareness. Few months back my co-clerk tried pimping the residents and attendings and I've never seen someone glare quite like that haha.
This statement just seems statistically flawed. Most externships I went on had about 20-30 students rotating total in the year. On average these programs were taking 2 people. You're saying "if you did everything normal and average you should be top 2 of the 20 people who were interested in that same spot as you"......?
I don't think every person that rotates at a program is interested in going there and vice versa for the program. I think a lot of it comes down to fit and connections to the program at that point. at interviews I feel like everyone should be at about the same academically.

These months are the most painful when your co-extern has zero self awareness. Few months back my co-clerk tried pimping the residents and attendings and I've never seen someone glare quite like that haha.

I don't think every person that rotates at a program is interested in going there and vice versa for the program. I think a lot of it comes down to fit and connections to the program at that point. at interviews I feel like everyone should be at about the same academically.
When I was at interviews it seemed like they were interviewing close to 20 people. It just seems tough to think "if you do everything fine you'll be good" when 20 people are interviewing for a spot of 2.

Let me rephrase

If a program doesn't pick a hard working individual who is significant more of an asset, then it's probably not a good program to begin with.

Would be helpful to have a list somewhere to avoid those programs.

Weirdly is correct for the most part. You be surprised out of the 20-30 rotating with you at that program, more than half are just bad, weird, socially inept or have zero business in healthcare. Now you have a 1 in maybe 10-15 chance. Odds are even better if you were not a MCAT of 15 matriculating and studied. I had my picking of my top 3 programs.

Two programs called me and said they’re ranking highly, but why do I still feel like I’m being played….anyone else freaking out internally

Two programs called me and said they’re ranking highly, but why do I still feel like I’m being played….anyone else freaking out internally
Im assuming they called you just after interviews correct? This is normal, a lot of programs do call backs etc... some programs have been known to lie... visa versa with students

I’m just terrified. I’ve no one to relate to bc most of my classmates got calls that they were ranked #1. Hence these anxious posts on an anonymous blog