Match Day 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Terrible in what way?
Some things I've seen - terrible work environment (attendings use and abuse the residents), first year residents not scrubbing elective cases until their 2nd year, no resident independence to make their own medical decisions/plans, lying to students about surgical numbers, lying about # days per week in OR vs clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Some things I've seen - terrible work environment (attendings use and abuse the residents), first year residents not scrubbing elective cases until their 2nd year, no resident independence to make their own medical decisions/plans, lying to students about surgical numbers, lying about # days per week in OR vs clinic

Please name and shame so we can proceed with caution T_T lol

Reactions: 1 user
West Penn, UPMC, Swedish, Medstar didn't fill their seats? How come? People don't want to go there?
The UPMC in the scramble is the one in Harrisburg, not the main UPMC in Pittsburgh.

In general you see a few strong programs in the match every year because all of the top programs are going for the same top ~50 applicants per year. If you have a larger program (4 or more per year), there's always a chance that you will not match 1 spot. Programs don't rank every student that externed or that interviewed with them. They might only rank 15 students for 5 spots and they'd rather go to the scramble and pick a good student who got unlucky in the match, rather than settle for someone they didn't want after externship and/or interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience this year, I felt like programs were pretty open with where I stood. I obviously don't know where I matched yet but I have a pretty good idea. Everyone painted an overall positive picture of their program but in getting to know residents, the honesty came out. I was not gunning for all big name programs so I'm not sure what games were played with those programs, but my overall experience through externship, interviews, and match has been pretty good. I didn't have any terrible experiences at any externship but definitely liked some more than others.

For reference, I ranked 3 programs (interviewed at 5) and felt confident enough with at least what two of them had told me. I matched.

A friend went for way more competitive programs and ranked about 5 and did not match. It's kind of a crazy process and in hindsight, I would recommend identifying programs you want to go to & ranking several. I'd also recommend not trying to land all super competitive programs, but also visiting/externing at some of the more hidden gems. Get a variety. You never know where you will end up fitting in. Just my two cents.

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.44.42 AM.png

You are correct - I meant Augusta, GA. Here it is listed PMSR but if you click the link on that page, it will list as PMSR/RRA.

Good luck to those in MPII today! May the offers be good, and the rounds short.

Question about my match scenario: I have matched but of course won't find out until friday where. I have learned that my #1 ranked program still has 1 spot available for SOAP. Does this mean that I can be confident that residency program will be the name in the envelope I will open on friday???

Question about my match scenario: I have matched but of course won't find out until friday where. I have learned that my #1 ranked program still has 1 spot available for SOAP. Does this mean that I can be confident that residency program will be the name in the envelope I will open on friday???
Basically, but there’s a very small chance they didn’t rank you.

There were programs on the list that are known for being super selective and scrambling for spots this year. But if it’s a program not known for that or very competitive I wouldn’t think otherwise

Basically, but there’s a very small chance they didn’t rank you.

There were programs on the list that are known for being super selective and scrambling for spots this year. But if it’s a program not known for that or very competitive I wouldn’t think otherwise
well it is my home program so I would assume that if they interviewed me then they would rank me....is there a reason why an EM program wouldn't rank someone they were willing to grant an interview, even if it's dead last? And if I was 35 out of 35 on their list but they were my #1 rank on my list, and they still have a spot available, in theory, shouldn't that be a lock for me to match there?

Members don't see this ad :)
well it is my home program so I would assume that if they interviewed me then they would rank me....is there a reason why an EM program wouldn't rank someone they were willing to grant an interview, even if it's dead last? And if I was 35 out of 35 on their list but they were my #1 rank on my list, and they still have a spot available, in theory, shouldn't that be a lock for me to match there?
That’s why I said i would assume yes/basically unless the interview went absolutely horrendously. I would take it as a congratulations but you never know until you know.

That’s why I said i would assume yes/basically unless the interview went absolutely horrendously. I would take it as a congratulations but you never know until you know.
Okay Thanks!

Not to scare you but we interview quite a few people that we don’t end up ranking. Getting an interview doesn’t guarantee a rank spot. I mean if you got good vibes from the program and felt like your interview went well then there’s a good chance you’re fine and will match there.

Not to scare you but we interview quite a few people that we don’t end up ranking. Getting an interview doesn’t guarantee a rank spot. I mean if you got good vibes from the program and felt like your interview went well then there’s a good chance you’re fine and will match there.

Y'all know this is the podiatry forum right? lol

Not saying you're not welcome, just letting you know haha.

Reactions: 1 users
There are some really good programs this year on the scramble list. Also, it seems a lot of VA's filled that tend to always scramble. None of this makes sense to me, but I'll take it. lol
I think this honestly is reflective of a wider safety net and less applications to the better/top programs. I also believe that programs and residents who "play" the game were simply beat at their own game; i.e. We'll rank you #1 if you rank us #1, or You're ranked high, but you told that to 15 other students, etc, etc, etc.

But to each their own. I picked based off of what I wanted and how I viewed the program logistically.

And yes, less people ranking more programs definitely played a role here too.

Something weird happened this year. All of CA, TX, and basically FL got filled this year. All those states have so many programs, that you would think atleast a few would scramble, but nope. I don't even see that many Veterans Affairs hospitals scrambling this year either.

I wonder if a bunch of people played it safe and ranked based on ease of getting in maybe? idk. its just odd.
What does it mean to play it safe? How one is not safe by ranking according to their own preferences? Even if you add some "out of reach" programs, what do you lose? Don't you get your "safe" program anyways if you don't get into your higher ranked programs?

I'm curious to know if Rutgers UH is such a dumpster fire that they're scrambling all 3 spots or if it was pure crap luck...? If anyone has an idea, I'd love to know.

What does it mean to play it safe? How one is not safe by ranking according to their own preferences? Even if you add some "out of reach" programs, what do you lose? Don't you get your "safe" program anyways if you don't get into your higher ranked programs?
Everything you said is true.

But there's definitely people that don't know how the match works and think that if they rank one higher than the other, they will have a better shot at it ( I literally had to explain to 2 people that this is not how that works).

Also, for me personally, I chose not to "play it safe" in that I did not rank a couple of VA's that I interviewed at. If I had played it safe, ranked them, and matched to one, I would have been screwed and not be able to join this scramble with all of it's good programs this year. But I was able to snag a way better spot than either VA I interviewed at because I chose to gamble.

I got this advice from reading all of the posts from attendings / residents that posted in some previous threads about this whole process and messaged one directly on here to ask their opinion and they recommended I don't put those "safe" programs down, or else I'd be stuck there. That advice worked.

It is quite hilarious how important the match is to your future and how many people who still don’t understand how it works.

Reactions: 2 users
Good times, best of luck to everyone. It’s unfortunate there are only a finite number of solid programs that exist.

Just noticed Kaiser Oakland is looking for a PGY-2. Someone should hop on this - great program. Very good mix of diabetic goodie, trauma, recon, elective stuff. It was in my top 3 choices.

Again, don’t assume if you do program where it’s 99% trauma that you’ll be doing the same thing when you’re out. Won’t happen. Still wanna do it? Refer to the recent thread on CRPS patients.

Last edited:
...Again, don’t assume if you do program where it’s 99% trauma that you’ll be doing the same thing when you’re out. Won’t happen. Still wanna do it? Refer to the recent thread on CRPS patients.
I want some of my partners to stop doing trauma surgery... or at least don't be outta town post-op when the patients have pain, dehisce, etc :D

...yeah, Kaiser pgy2 is great upgrade to a top program if somebody can transfer in there. One of my co-residents transferred in after pgy1 (we had left one of our match spots unfilled since no good students in scramble that cycle), and he will always say it was career-changing to get more and better cases for 2/3 years. He is now RRA cert, successful practice, all that fun stuff.

Prob the best scramble programs this '22 year would be Swedish, West Penn, Beaumont Wayne, Greely etc. Medstar Wash and StFrancis CT aren't bad. There are always a few gems that can give you what you need. It never hurts students to know what most of the good programs coast to coast are and to have a print list - if there is even a 1% chance of scramble.

Last edited:
This thread is about Match Day 2022. March 14th is not too far from now. By this time, the students in the Class of 22 have already completed or are in the process of completing their rankings. Please don't just rank one program and call it a day; rank several, esp the ones you interviewed at.

2022 CASPR Schedule: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2022-CASPR-Schedule_REVISED.pdf

Post anything related to the match (in the order below). And, in time we can post the stats from AACPM. Good luck, everyone! :cool:

# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in)

# of Programs Applied: 19

# of Programs Ranked: 9

# of Interviews Attended: 12

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in)

Florida

Reactions: 3 users
# of Programs Applied: 8

# of Programs Ranked: 4

# of Interviews Attended: 8

Name of Matched Program: Some program in MA

Reactions: 5 users
# of Programs Applied: 10

# of Programs Ranked: 3

# of Interviews Attended: I scheduled 10 interviews and canceled 5 of them a few weeks before. So I attended 5 interviews. I kind of had a feeling where I would end up.

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in): in PA

Reactions: 5 users
Early #s from PM news!
I know some people from my university that didn't match Wednesday, but by Friday they had a spot.

So is it true that the people that didn't match Wednesday scrambled and received a spot for Friday, and then this statistic was made?

How? If you get sub par training it’s nearly impossible to overcome.

Maybe if you have no motivation to learn after residency. Take a look at your local associate mill and see where people went to residency, you're going to find people from "top-tier" programs working the same jobs as those from bottom level programs.

In the end how you are going to make the most of your money comes from the basic podiatry clinic routine. A top fellowship in peripheral nerve reconstruction makes no difference when most places are going to want to hire you as a podiatrist.

I know some people from my university that didn't match Wednesday, but by Friday they had a spot.

So is it true that the people that didn't match Wednesday scrambled and received a spot for Friday, and then this statistic was made?

Wasn't the thing on Wednesday the scramble? I know we call it MPII and not soap like the medical match, but I thought everything from Monday onwards after the results came out is the "scramble"?

There were plenty of spots this year for everyone. I think its like 40-50 extra residency spots vs the class of 2022 population.

But yeah that info definitely is after the actual match, and MP2/scramble/pick up whatever is left if you didn't match in MP2 either.

Wasn't the thing on Wednesday the scramble? I know we call it MPII and not soap like the medical match, but I thought everything from Monday onwards after the results came out is the "scramble"?

There were plenty of spots this year for everyone. I think its like 40-50 extra residency spots vs the class of 2022 population.

But yeah that info definitely is after the actual match, and MP2/scramble/pick up whatever is left if you didn't match in MP2 either.
Yea, Monday and onwards to that Friday then.

I guess it's just frustrating because we don't know what the actual match percentage is without adding the pickup/scramble.

This has become a running problem during the whole process, misleading statistics. Although perhaps not truly significant as everyone matched within a week of match day during scramble/pickup, it would do the students great benefit to know what match rate actually was, as well as those looking to attend podiatry school.

Last edited:
Yea, Monday and onwards to that Friday then.

I guess it's just frustrating because we don't know what the actual match percentage is without adding the pickup/scramble.

This has become a running problem during the whole process, misleading statistics. Although perhaps not truly significant as everyone matched within a week of match day during scramble/pickup, it would do the students great benefit to know what match rate actually was, as well as those attendance to podiatry school.

I used to have this same mentality but after talking with so many 4th years who are solid applicants, I'm talking about attitude, grades, personality, skills etc all top notch going unmatched for whatever reason, it makes the statistics a little grey.

Obviously if 50% only matched first time and the other 50% had to soap then that's a problem but not getting at 90% the first time has a lot of variable affecting the situation and I don't think it's a huge situation per se.

Now, if we're graduating too many people and there's a lack of spots like what we had years ago then that's a major red flag and something needs to be done.

Maybe if you have no motivation to learn after residency. Take a look at your local associate mill and see where people went to residency, you're going to find people from "top-tier" programs working the same jobs as those from bottom level programs.

In the end how you are going to make the most of your money comes from the basic podiatry clinic routine. A top fellowship in peripheral nerve reconstruction makes no difference when most places are going to want to hire you as a podiatrist.
Sure motivation and courses can help but that doesn’t make up for lack of training. Getting the best training you can in residency gives you the best opportunity to practice our full scope. You don’t need a 3 year residency to learn how to do routine foot care. No hospital, MSG or ortho gig is going to hire someone with subpar skills. If they do they won’t last long.

Doing a “top tier” residency doesn’t guarantee you the skills to do everything in our scope but it gives you the best opportunity. More often than not podiatrists that are practicing full scope in sought after positions had good training. There are always exceptions but why would you sell yourself short if you have the ability to get better training? Match isn’t the end all be all but it’s pretty damn important so for students to not understand how the process works is pretty stupid. I think that’s what the original comment was indicating.

Look for a program with good training.

Be reasonable. Be self aware of what your weaknesses are and polish them. Learn to read a program and its residents.

Some students may have extremely high grades but can't even read people or a room- and then get shocked when they have to scramble.

Look for a program with good training.
From what I've read here, there doesn't seem to be any programs with "poor" training per se. There does seem to be programs to specialize in unique training from time to time, but every program seems to teach you how to be a successful podiatrist.

# of Programs Applied: 18

# of Programs Ranked: 6

# of Interviews Attended: 9

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in): Michigan

Suppose there is an area that you wanna do residency in but with only 2 seats per program. Are you more likely to have to scramble if you choose to extern here knowing that residency programs are more likely to rank externs higher?

Suppose there is an area that you wanna do residency in but with only 2 seats per program. Are you more likely to have to scramble if you choose to extern here knowing that residency programs are more likely to rank externs higher?
Why would your chance of scrambling be higher if you choose to extern there?

You would expect chances to be higher if you extern there, not lower.

Unless you have deficits that you yourself are not aware of and you will not be a good fit for the program.

Why would your chance of scrambling be higher if you choose to extern there?

You would expect chances to be higher if you extern there, not lower.

Unless you have deficits that you yourself are not aware of and you will not be a good fit for the program.
Sorry, I did a horrible job explaining my train of thought I meant compared to externing at programs with more seats like 4 or 5.

The location I want to be only has 2 seats per residency program while programs a few hours away has one program with 5 seats. Is it better to extern at the program farther away from my ideal location in hopes of reducing my chances to scramble.

Sorry, I did a horrible job explaining my train of thought I meant compared to externing at programs with more seats like 4 or 5.

The location I want to be only has 2 seats per residency program while programs a few hours away has one program with 5 seats. Is it better to extern at the program farther away from my ideal location in hopes of reducing my chances to scramble.
Extern at the one you really want to go to and visit the other program OR extern at both of them. Apply to and rank enough programs you are happy to go to and you will be less likely to scramble.

Interview where you want to go. Yes, if all the programs you clerk at are small you are theoretically chasing fewer seats. Be bold. If you want a 100% chance of matching seek out the scramble list above and filter by New York State. You can go to an 8 spot program where you are the only resident.

My top 4 were places with 2 or 1 spots. Matched within my top 2 no issues. Only ranked 7- places where I externed and liked.

Yes, by numbers alone you will have a higher chance of matching if you extern at places that take more residents.

But don't play the game and forsake the place you want to be at. We always tell you to clerk where you want to be and RANK where you want to go. Don't short sell yourself by playing the game.

Reactions: 3 users