Match day 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Match Day for the Class of 2024.

As we move forward to the rankings and match day in March of 2024, we will follow the same format as previous years. Good luck to everyone. Please post any questions or comments only related to the Match process for the Class of 2024.

AACPM: AACPM's CASPR & CRIP Programs - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)

Post in a similar order as below:

# of Programs Applied:

# of Programs Ranked:

# of Interviews Attended:

Name of Matched Program (to keep things anonymous, you can write the State you are placed in):

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
# of Programs Applied: 11

# of Interviews Attended: 11

# of Programs Ranked: 8

Matched!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also if the list of available programs for MPII pops up I’ll post it here

Here is the list of available programs for MPII - some great programs on that list

Attachments

• CASPR Participating Programs - MPII.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 155
Hey do you have the screenshot of your match? My NMS is not working. I got the email and my school emailed me as well
Yeah when I login it says I matched on the nms website - I also got the CASPR email saying congratulations you matched
1709573742048.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about the list of programs, but I'm at United Health Services in Upstate NY and we are still in need! If anyone out there is looking, please reach out!

There's a few interesting programs, but a lot of the same-old same-old.

Next year we should make bingo cards.
Which ones in NY/NJ do you find interesting? Making my MPII list ...any advice would be helpful

Am I the only one who thinks not knowing where you matched on "match day" is tomfoolery?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who thinks not knowing where you matched on "match day" is tomfoolery?
I also find it troubling only in podiatry only can you go through the entire match process only to find out you didn’t pass Part 2 during the Match process and have to withdraw from match unlike MD/DO (where step 2 is the most important score now as far as matching specialties) or anything else that makes sense

Last edited:
Applied 10
Interviewed 10
Ranked 10
Matched. Will update # next week.

Good luck to those going into Round 2. Seriously some solid programs on the list!

Reactions: 3 users
# of Programs Applied: 9

# of Interviews Attended: 7

# of Programs Ranked: 5

Matched.

Best of luck to those going into MPII. Seems like there are some really good programs on the list from what I see.

# of Programs Applied: 6

# of Interviews Attended: 6

# of Programs Ranked: 4

Matched.

Edit: Matched at my #1

Last edited:
Not that you ever want to scramble but if there was a year to scramble….as others have stated there are some really really solid programs on there. Surprised to see them on there tbh

Not that you ever want to scramble but if there was a year to scramble….as others have stated there are some really really solid programs on there. Surprised to see them on there tbh
There might be a half dozen good spots and another half dozen adequate spots this year (which is above average), but you have to remember that there are usually at least a few good students in scramble also (usually ones who were told by a couple good programs they were #1 and lied to about that... and they didn't rank any/many backups).

Most good programs - even elite programs - that have 3, 4, 5, etc resident spots/yr (sometimes even 2 spots/yr) will still scramble at least every few years... particularly if they aren't in a pod school city or a popular city. You'd be surprised how lazy people are when picking clerkships (and even a residency)... trying to step over good training (and future dollars) to save dimes. That is also logically the best strategy for average podiatry students to end up with good training programs: mainly avoid programs in popular cities and pod school cities.

Like you said, always best to avoid scramble and rank every program you interviewed with (that you would not be truly disappointed with matching).

How is Weiss still a program? When I rotated there it was insanely bad. They didn’t let me scrub in or even observe a surgery the whole month.

Also ssm depaul… miserable place with some mean attendings. Unless things have changed.

Reactions: 4 users
How is Weiss still a program? When I rotated there it was insanely bad. They didn’t let me scrub in or even observe a surgery the whole month.

Also ssm depaul… miserable place with some mean attendings. Unless things have changed.
Ssm DePaul I have never heard a kind thing about. Is it at least a good program?

Is Brookdale a good program? Anyone with experience please chime in. Thinking about ranking them. Thanks.
You need to ask the guy above who claims to know NY.

I spoke to some NY grads earlier today who are all RRA certified and from 1 program. They said their program deteriorated and they otherwise didn't have a single nice thing to say about NY. A classmate of mine did Bellevue I believe. Program swore up and down it would be RRA by the time he graduated. Still isn't. NY programs with RRA and PSMR are also famous for telling people that "if you are good, we'll switch you over" and then not doing it.

I wish you the best of luck, but here's the rub - if NY programs were any good, NY grads would fill them. They know the programs suck.

Reactions: 5 users
# of Programs Applied: 9
# of interviews attended: 7
# Programs Ranked: 5

Matched

Reactions: 2 users
Ssm DePaul I have never heard a kind thing about. Is it at least a good program?
think they graduate residents to be comfortable in forefoot and then the others who want to do more go for a fellowship based on recent grads. All just from my personal observations. Director is very old school, he’s good but wasn’t very friendly when rotating or approachable. Academics he would hit them heavy with biomechanical stuff no one would understand

Weiss is a JOKE of a program lol
Yes I remember following a resident to the hospital like basement to go through boxes of old charts to find old notes or something. I can’t remember exactly what we were looking for. The whole hospital was paper charting only at the time. (This was only like four years ago) I was shocked that a resident was spending so much time on some nonsense.

If this program hasn’t gotten any better it definitely needs to be shut down.

Things havn't changed. Have some experience with them and their residents.
I remember an attending yelling at me for seeing her patient when the resident told me to go see the patient. Students have it really bad sometimes. That place was beyond miserable.

why did they not let you scrub in or observe a surgery the whole month?
Weiss.. Because there is no surgery and the residents just want you as a clinic b*tch even if there is a case. I have no clue where they get their numbers from.

The hospital also has a convenient nearby homeless shelter with a variety of tents set up beside the entrance for all the noncompliant patients to stroll in.

Terrible place to be

...If this program hasn’t gotten any better it definitely needs to be shut down.
... I have no clue where they get their numbers from...

...Terrible place to be
These things can be said for probably a third of DPM resident spots overall. It's sad.

It's a really failure of podiatry training and regulation.
We label everyone "3 year trained foot and ankle surgery" despite huge variances in training.
Then, we wonder why board pass rates are not good. We wonder why competence is variable.
Worst, we now we have new pod schools adding students to match... and more fellowship spots taking cases out of residencies.

These things would never fly in MD residency training (ACGME)... yet they persist year after year after decade for podiatry.

These things can be said for probably a third of DPM resident spots overall. It's sad.

It's a really failure of podiatry training and regulation.
We label everyone "3 year trained foot and ankle surgery" despite huge variances in training.
Then, we wonder why board pass rates are not good. We wonder why competence is variable.
Worst, we now we have new pod schools adding students to match... and more fellowship spots taking cases out of residencies.

These things would never fly in MD residency training (ACGME)... yet they persist year after year after decade for podiatry.
I find it even more odd that ACGME has very low threshold to put programs and schools on probationary status I have no clue what CPME does. Literally the only time podiatry programs tank is when the hospital is going down or the program loses funding/politics. I laugh when I hear attendings say they are on the on site committees for evaluating residencies. I guess they are twirling their thumbs and throwing audits away. I’ve tried to search and see if any programs have ever been on probation and I haven’t been able to find anything. Only pre-approval for new ones.

Edit: maybe I haven’t looked in the right place but I’ve tried extensively

What's the usual number of students a program ends up ranking after interviews? Do most programs prefer to rank much more than their # of resident slots to decrease their chances of scrambling?

What's the usual number of students a program ends up ranking after interviews? Do most programs prefer to rank much more than their # of resident slots to decrease their chances of scrambling?
Programs typically rank whoever has rotated + more for yield.

For example, if 15 students rotated for a 3 spot program, we will rank 9-12 plus 2-3 more.
If they were all good, we rank all: 15
If there are a few bad, we rank: 15 - (whoever we absolutely do not want)

Programs play yield protection. Some programs would rather take a bad student who rotated because they have no choice or would prefer to know exactly what they're getting. Some would rather pick from students who interviewed but did not visit or rotate. Some would rather pick from the scramble list of those with the highest stats or those local to the area who they can glean info from nearby programs

Hey all, just wondering any thoughts/comments on thr residency program at Mt Sinai (S Nassau). Thanks!

Hey all, just wondering any thoughts/comments on thr residency program at Mt Sinai (S Nassau). Thanks!
I don’t know if it would have much affect but the bigger Sinai - Beth Israel is shutting down completely in July as a hospital and something like 1000 residents from all specialties are gonna be displaced (don’t know what’s going to happen to the pod program). No clue about this smaller one or if it affects it.

It's super simple, @Weirdy explained the program side:
  • Students should rank all they clerked or visited or interviewed - unless they'd truly not want one of them.
  • Programs do exactly the same: rank all interviews - besides ones they would really not be happy with.

...The match is HEAVILY rigged in students' favor. Any residency program rank list will wait and wait for their high ranked students before going down the ranks, but students get their top residency that ranks them and doesn't fill with higher students... and the student is done right there.
So, just rank them how you want them... and rank a reasonably unlimited number of backup programs (no point to rank any you didn't interview and have no reason to believe would be ranking you).
The second part (backups) is getting more and more important as possible residency crunch/shortage looms with new schools. Scramble will get worse and worse as student : spot ratio goes up.

Programs typically rank whoever has rotated + more for yield.

For example, if 15 students rotated for a 3 spot program, we will rank 9-12 plus 2-3 more.
If they were all good, we rank all: 15
If there are a few bad, we rank: 15 - (whoever we absolutely do not want)

Programs play yield protection. Some programs would rather take a bad student who rotated because they have no choice or would prefer to know exactly what they're getting. Some would rather pick from students who interviewed but did not visit or rotate. Some would rather pick from the scramble list of those with the highest stats or those local to the area who they can glean info from nearby programs
Exactly^^
Programs and students generally rank all they've met... minus any they'd truly not want at all (disaster clerks/clerkships or red flag interviews).

Last edited:
Interviewed 15, ranked 15 and matched #1. You really don't want to scramble. Very few good programs slip through as you can see this year's list.

I didn't get any fancy calls, emails, kisses and dinners etc like many claimed they got but I matched first round.

Some got the red carpet, ranked 3 and is now scrambling.

Future students, you get "free" 12 apps. Pay the fee and just interview.

Last edited:
The match algorith is not rigged. It is literally used by sororities. Its a tool for assigning preference. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Not matching is infinitely more detrimental to students than to programs since if a program doesn't fill the current residents and staff work a little harder.

# of Programs Applied: 12

# of Interviews Attended: 8

# of Programs Ranked: 3

I decided not to rank every place I interviewed at, felt fairly confident that I would match in one of the three I ranked. Retrospectively, I wish I did my externships fairly differently considering I thought a lot of places were just overrated and a complete waste of a month.

# of Programs Applied: 12

# of Interviews Attended: 8

# of Programs Ranked: 3

I decided not to rank every place I interviewed at, felt fairly confident that I would match in one of the three I ranked. Retrospectively, I wish I did my externships fairly differently considering I thought a lot of places were just overrated and a complete waste of a month.
I did same (applied maybe 5, interviewed them, ranked 3 or 4, matched top choice). ^^
It's a fine strategy if you are a top student who did well on clerkships and basically knows where you're going as you're pretty clearly near the top of the app pool for those programs (and/or they told you that also).

For most pod students, it's a risky strategy to not rank all of their interviews, though. It's usually a better move for most student to rank all of their interviews in case a program or two is blowing smoke to many students that they're a top rank for match. There is still a slim residency surplus right now, but it will get worse and worse for scrambling pretty soon.

...as for the externships, that happens. I felt same, so did nearly all of the good students I talked to. Most were top third/quarter/ten rank yet only applied to maybe half of their clerked programs. You learn from all of them, but you realize by the first week that some are not your jam...
-Some are just unimpressive cases/attendings/volume despite good name or good past rep.
-Some went from single and double to now triple scrub due to adding spots and/or losing attendings to retire or leave or start a fellowship.
-Others are just hard for the sake of being hard.
-Some are crummy cities or hospitals - no matter how good the program itself might be, or not be.
-Some have a malignant director or resident pgy1 or pgy2 that you truly would be miserable working with for a year or two or three.

Clerkships are how you realize that stuff firsthand. Congrats :)

• Sad
I did same (applied maybe 5, interviewed them, ranked 3 or 4, matched top choice). ^^
It's a fine strategy if you are a top student who did well on clerkships and basically knows where you're going as you're pretty clearly near the top of the app pool for those programs (and/or they told you that also).

For most pod students, it's a risky strategy to not rank all of their interviews, though. It's usually a better move for most student to rank all of their interviews in case a program or two is blowing smoke to many students that they're a top rank for match. There is still a slim residency surplus right now, but it will get worse and worse for scrambling pretty soon.

...as for the externships, that happens. I felt same, so did nearly all of the good students I talked to. Most were top third/quarter/ten rank yet only applied to maybe half of their clerked programs. You learn from all of them, but you realize by the first week that some are not your jam...
-Some are just unimpressive cases/attendings/volume despite good name or good past rep.
-Some went from single and double to now triple scrub due to adding spots and/or losing attendings to retire or leave or start a fellowship.
-Others are just hard for the sake of being hard.
-Some are crummy cities or hospitals - no matter how good the program itself might be, or not be.
-Some have a malignant director or resident pgy1 or pgy2 that you truly would be miserable working with for a year or two or three.

Clerkships are how you realize that stuff firsthand. Congrats :)

I agree with Feli. If you have some form of self-awareness, you can tell if a program is genuinely interested in you. I felt it as a student while I was there, when I was talking to the director and interacting with the residents and ancillary staffs.

I didn't have a strong number 1 like most people. A program where I was 100% certain I absolutely love. Personally, I think the chances of finding that is really low. I focused my list based on where I think I would get the best training, family location and a place where I felt least miserable. Thankfully I found 5 out of the 7 places I externed at.

Could I have gotten away with just interviewing 5, probably...only for the fact that I've gotten back positive evals on all of them.

Another big recommendation I have for future applicants is and YMMV with this, is upload your externship evals to your caspr application, if you gotten positive eval...

I interviewed at 15 places total with 10 programs I never visited and most of those places gave compliments about who I am as a potential resident based on the feed back from other directors I externed at with one saying that he was mainly interested in meeting me and getting to know me socially and didn't have any doubt about work ethic and knowledge because of the positive evals I have gotten from PD who he's familiar with. So it was really nice to have that feedback.

Looking back I'm glad I did that and I think it has helped me land of some the places I interviewed at even though I never visited or externed.

Please consider submitting anonymous residency reviews.
Simply message your review in the requested format and myself or Dexter will post on your behalf.
This resource is only valuable when students who rotated actually spend the time to post as truthfully as they can.

Program Name:

General Program/Hospital Info:

Attendings:

Residents:

Didactics:

OR Experience:

Clinic Experience:

Research Opportunities:

Lifestyle:

Pros:

Cons:

Overall Conclusion:

There is almost no part of this entire process that isn't unnecessary and dragged out from the start of podiatry school. I don't understand why we can't condense podiatry school into 3 years.

The entire 3rd year rotations are a waste of time since 1 month on externships pretty much force you to learn all the silly 3rd year rotations within 1 month.

While we are at it, get rid of boards part 3 or somehow combine that material into boards part 2.

I keep seeing Roger Williams on the list. I know quite a few people that have externed there and all of them keep speaking highly of the place. What gives? I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about that place other than its Rhode Island but Kent doesn't have that problem.

4 open spots in Wykoff wow...whats the deal with that place?
Cause its PMSR...
It's already terrible investment to do this and even worse when there's no shot in hell to get RRA if you don't go to an RRA program.