match day international schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

promyeloblast

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know if international schools get match results on thursday (as american schools)? Do you guys in the Caribbean have match day ceremonies in the morning? I am an applicant from south america and was wondering if my school will be getting my match result.

thank you
 
My school's Match Day festivities aren't until Friday afternoon, so I don't think they find out any earlier than we do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone can shed light on the general results from the IMG (specifically US-IMG) match for this year, that would be great!

I wonder when the report with the tables and graphs will be available...Is it the NMRP or ECFMG that publishes that report? Also, I think the last charting the outcomes report was done in 2014, so perhaps that is due for a 2016 edition!?
 
If anyone can shed light on the general results from the IMG (specifically US-IMG) match for this year, that would be great!

I wonder when the report with the tables and graphs will be available...Is it the NMRP or ECFMG that publishes that report? Also, I think the last charting the outcomes report was done in 2014, so perhaps that is due for a 2016 edition!?

It will take a little while for stats to come out I suspect, so anything right now is just anecdotal. I only know of 3 people currently that weren't able to Match or SOAP but I'm not terribly close to most of my class of 700 students so I don't think that tells you too much.

I hope they release IMG stats for this cycle. Every PD I spoke with at interviews told me they had an unusual number of applicants (for psych), and a number of them also mentioned that they were interviewing and making decisions much earlier in the process than usual. I've heard a few similar stories from other students, but again, all hearsay. Don't make any decisions until you can see some hard data.

Oh, and a classmate told me we had a neurosurgery Match this year. I have no idea if that's true or not, though.
 
The last two pies (on page 13) tell the story OP is asking.
Doesnt the second pie include FMG and DO students?(as well as re-applicant MD, DO and IMG/FMG). I dont think you can get anything meaningful from that since the comparison is between US seniors and everyone else, not just first time IMGs.
 
Doesnt the second pie include FMG and DO students?(as well as re-applicant DO and IMG/FMG). I dont think you can get anything meaningful from that since the comparison is between US seniors and everyone else, not just IMGs.
Yes. If anything, that fact makes the second pie look rosier than it really is for IMG's, though
 
Yes. If anything, that fact makes the second pie look rosier than it really is for IMG's, though

I dont know I imagine the first time DO would bring the numbers up while everyone else would bring them down. Either way I think the only meaningful data we have so far is in the stuff that we can compare to recent years to try to track change. Everything else is too muddled with different groups that cant be isolated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless I'm interpreting this data wrong...

In terms of positions offered:
15-16 saw a 567 increase but an increase in 497 USMD/DO students making a surplus of 70 spots for other applicants.
14-15 saw a 615 increase but an increase in 802 USMD/DO students making a deficit of 187 spots for other applicants.
13-14 saw a 540 increase but an increase in 245 USMD/DO students making a surplus of 295 spots for other applicants.

Meaning that since 2013, the amount of new positions offered outpaced USMD/DO applicant grow by 178 spots total.

Compared to 2013 there are 482 more US-IMG applicants and 37 NON-US-IMG applicants.
 
Unless I'm interpreting this data wrong...

In terms of positions offered:
15-16 saw a 567 increase but an increase in 497 USMD/DO students making a surplus of 70 spots for other applicants.
14-15 saw a 615 increase but an increase in 802 USMD/DO students making a deficit of 187 spots for other applicants.
13-14 saw a 540 increase but an increase in 245 USMD/DO students making a surplus of 295 spots for other applicants.

Meaning that since 2013, the amount of new positions offered outpaced USMD/DO applicant grow by 178 spots total.

Compared to 2013 there are 482 more US-IMG applicants and 37 NON-US-IMG applicants.
A few years ago there were a boatload of residency positions offered outside the match. When programs were required to go "all in," these invisible spots became part of the match process, giving the illusion of a larger increase in positions.
 
A few years ago there were a boatload of residency positions offered outside the match. When programs were required to go "all in," these invisible spots became part of the match process, giving the illusion of a larger increase in positions.

Yes, that all in occurred during the 2012-2013 year. This is why I left that out of the data I was looking at since it would have given a false sense of hope. Yet the years after the all in year have seemed to have a steady increase that leaves a surplus (albeit small) for IMGs.