Match List 2020 - post what you got

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
here is the match list for UTRGV's Inaugural class

Otolaryngology (1)
Cleveland Clinic

Pediatrics (2)
Driscoll Children’s Hospital
UT Houston

Psychiatry (1)
UT Southwestern

Psychiatry/Neurology (1)
UT Southwestern

General Surgery (3)
OHSU
HCA Medical City
UVA (prelim)

Transitional Year (1)
John Peter Smith Hospital

Emergency Medicine (4)
John Peter Smith Hospital
University of Mississippi
UTHSC San Antonio
University of South Alabama

Family Medicine (9)
HCA Medical City
Carl R. Darnell Army Med Center - Ft. Hood
UTRGV / DHR
South Regional AHEC
UTHSC San Antonio
UTHSC Tyler
Contra Costa Regional MC

Internal Medicine (12)
Columbia / NY Presbyterian
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
WashU
Methodist Dallas
UTRGV / DHR
UTRGV / Valley Baptist MC
UTMB
UT Houston
Christiana Care

Interventional Radiology (1)
University of Miami / Jackson

Neurology (1)
Harbor UCLA

OBGYN (2)
Methodist Dallas
UTRGV / DHR

Orthopedic Surgery (1)
University of Kansas
Thanks, been trying so hard to find this! @2020match if you're a current student could you please PM me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola Stritch

Attachments

• loyola match list anonymous.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 901
Stony Brook

Attachments

• stony brook match list anonymous.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 2,375
Reactions: 1 users
Question for you since you are from the rio grande school (or know a lot more about it)... 14 students failed to match/dropped out?

I believe everyone in the class that applied for residency got a spot for next year (not sure how many match vs soap).
A handful of students had to repeat the first year and they are all on track to graduate 2021. Another handful is delaying graduation to have time for research, or personal reasons like growing families, delaying so they can couples match with their spouse next year etc. And then a couple people that dropped out early bc they just decided they didnt want to be doctors?

1. What is SOAP? I've seen the acronym in other places in the context of residency, but still not sure what it is
2. Anyone have Harvard's match list?
Those applicants who failed to match and those programs that failed to fill go through the SOAP application process and try to find love

Anyone have Dell's? curious about their first match, from friends sounds like it went very well for them! :D
I posted the Dell generic pie chart, I will see what I can get from Texas contacts.
I miss you, @Lucca, hope all is going well!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Columbia:

Members don't see this ad :)
*looks at T5 match lists*

wtheck man!!! I thought PreStiGe DOEsN’t mAtter!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
hey guys, my matched program hasnt reached out to me yet. Is this uncommon? Should I be reaching out to them?

WCM

Edit: sorry

Attachments

• Match List by Specialty Deidentified 2020 (1).pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 514
Lots of schools publicly post their match lists including names to locations. It’s fine, how it goes and it’s the school’s decision.

I’m taking efforts to avoid listing any of the non-public match lists with identifying information on the table of contents, though I can’t remove any posts as I’m not staff.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have UCSD 2020? It's probably not public.

tbh, they all look very alike among top schools. I don't understand the difference perceived by SDN's here between impressive and solid. It's like pretending..

• Haha
tbh, they all look very alike among top schools. I don't understand the difference perceived by SDN's here between impressive and solid. It's like pretending..
you can definitely tell a difference in the caliber of matches between top schools + bottom schools. then you can also start seeing slight differences in some of the top top schools (ie harvard/stanford/penn/hopkins/UCSF) vs. other T20s in the sense that you look at Penn and every single match is basically to a top academic center.

Inevitably schools will have students who have poor step scores, don't do research, underperform clinically - hence it is very impressive when a school like Penn manages to place all of their students so well despite this.

not a perfect method, but as you get to know how competitive different specialties and locations are ~ it gets super interesting to see the differences.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
How do Hopkins matches compare to those three in your opinion?

i would say Hopkins is within that top tier. Just look at their match list. They are almost all top academic centers

last year JHU match:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hopkins does amazingly well too - equal to them

from what I see: Harvard,Hopkins,Penn,Stanford,UCSF are generally the schools that are insane. then the rest of the T20s are very very good. Then you start to see bigger differences after.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
How do we know this has been updated to 2020?
It hasn't. I know a guy who matched ENT at Stanford and that's not on there. Also, that pic is of students who graduated last year.

Last edited:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Lubbock

Color Coded, 2 lines same color means that student's prelim year place + specialty place.
Lubbock1.jpeg

Lubbock2.jpeg
Lubbock3.jpeg
Lubbock4.jpeg

Hopkins does amazingly well too - equal to them

from what I see: Harvard,Hopkins,Penn,Stanford,UCSF are generally the schools that are insane. then the rest of the T20s are very very good. Then you start to see bigger differences after.

WashU as well

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
CA Northstate posted a live-stream video on facebook where they read off like half of their matches. I was interested to see how their second match went for them! Here's what I got from the video and some of the comments beneath it:

OB/GYN
LSU-Baton Rouge
Adventist Health White Memorial
Jamaica Hospital-New York

Peds
Yale
Valley Children’s
Loma Linda (x2)
UC-Irvine

FM
U Michigan
Riverside
San Joaquin General

EM
Kaiser-San Diego (x2)
Advocate-Chicago
New York Presbeterian/Brooklyn Methodist
Zucker/Hofstra SOM-Northwell Northshore/Long Island Jewish-NY
Desert Regional
Baylor Scott & White
UC-Davis
UTSW
Cooper University Hospital

Ortho
Loma Linda
UCSF-Fresno

IM
Kaiser-Santa Clara
U Colorado
Kaiser-Oakland
Loma Linda
Scripps Green-San Diego
Harbor-UCLA (x2)
California Pacific Medical Center-San Francisco
Creighton

Pathology
Stanford

Psych
Arrowhead Regional Med Ctr
U Florida

ENT
Baylor Scott & White-Temple, TX

Anesthesia
Harbor-UCLA

Diagnostic Radiology
UC-Irvine
Kaiser-LA

Gen Surg
Kaiser-LA

Overall, it's certainly not an elite match list, but it looks a lot better than their list last year!

How do Hopkins matches compare to those three in your opinion?

This is the Hopkins match list for this year

Anesthesia
Harvard/Mass General
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
WashU/Barnes Jewish

Child Neurology
Harvard/Boston Childrens
Johns Hopkins

Dermatology
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Rochester
Stony Brook
U Florida

Emergency Medicine
Cook County
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Rutgers
Stanford
U Wisconsin

Family Medicine
Overlook Hospital

General Surgery
Harvard/Brigham & Womens
Harvard/Mass General
Johns Hopkins
Mayo Clinic
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
WashU/Barnes Jewish
WashU/Barnes Jewish
WashU/Barnes Jewish

Internal Medicine
Harvard/Mass General (Global Medicine)
Harvard/Beth Israel Deaconess
Hopkins - Bayview Campus
Hopkins - Bayview Campus
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Michigan
NYU
NYU
U Chicago
U Penn
U Penn
UCSF
UT Southwestern
Harvard/Cambridge Health (Medicine - Primary)
UCSF (Medicine - Primary)

Interventional Radiology
Harvard/Mass General
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles

Neurology
Yale

Neurosurgery
Johns Hopkins
Stanford

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Ohio State
Pittsburgh/UPMC
U Penn
U Wisconsin
UCLA
UCSF
UT Southwestern

Ophthalmology
Harvard/Mass Eye & Ear
Rochester
U Penn
Johns Hopkins/Wilmer
Yale

Orthopaedic Surgery
Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic
Johns Hopkins
Mayo Clinic
Medical College of Georgia

Otolaryngology / ENT
Harvard/Mass Eye & Ear
New York Presbyterian/Columbia-Cornell
Pittsburgh/UPMC
Stanford
U Penn
U Washington

Pathology
Johns Hopkins

Pediatrics
CHOP
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Michigan
U Chicago
Harvard/Boston Childrens (Urban Health)
Johns Hopkins (Urban Health)

Plastic Surgery
Georgetown
Stanford

Physical Med and Rehab (PM&R)
U Washington

Psychiatry
Harvard/Brigham & Womens
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
New York Presbyterian/Cornell

Radiation Oncology
Memorial Sloan Kettering

Radiology (Diagnostic)
Harvard/Brigham & Womens
Johns Hopkins
UC Irvine
UCSF
UCSF
WashU/Barnes Jewish

Thoracic Surgery
Stanford

Urology
Cleveland Clinic
Johns Hopkins
NYU
NYU
Ohio State
U Wisconsin

CA Northstate posted a live-stream video on facebook where they read off like half of their matches. I was interested to see how their second match went for them! Here's what I got from the video and some of the comments beneath it:

OB/GYN
LSU-Baton Rouge
Adventist Health White Memorial
Jamaica Hospital-New York

Peds
Yale
Valley Children’s
Loma Linda (x2)
UC-Irvine

FM
U Michigan
Riverside
San Joaquin General

EM
Kaiser-San Diego (x2)
Advocate-Chicago
New York Presbeterian/Brooklyn Methodist
Zucker/Hofstra SOM-Northwell Northshore/Long Island Jewish-NY
Desert Regional
Baylor Scott & White
UC-Davis
UTSW
Cooper University Hospital

Ortho
Loma Linda
UCSF-Fresno

IM
Kaiser-Santa Clara
U Colorado
Kaiser-Oakland
Loma Linda
Scripps Green-San Diego
Harbor-UCLA (x2)
California Pacific Medical Center-San Francisco
Creighton

Pathology
Stanford

Psych
Arrowhead Regional Med Ctr
U Florida

ENT
Baylor Scott & White-Temple, TX

Anesthesia
Harbor-UCLA

Diagnostic Radiology
UC-Irvine
Kaiser-LA

Gen Surg
Kaiser-LA

Overall, it's certainly not an elite match list, but it looks a lot better than their list last year!
Might be an unpopular opinion here: it is a good time for people to stop discounting them as an acceptable MD school. Though I would say that the people I know who go there are at least a bit well-off (but that's probably reflective of people who apply to medical schools). So it might not be an option for everyone, but still it is there.

Reactions: 6 users
Might be an unpopular opinion here: it is a good time for people to stop discounting them as an acceptable MD school. Though I would say that the people I know who go there are at least a bit well-off (but that's probably reflective of people who apply to medical schools). So it might not be an option for everyone, but still it is there.
We have no idea how many of them SOAPed. I'd need to see a true match list with all their outcomes before I stop mentally lumping them with other for-profits.

We have no idea how many of them SOAPed. I'd need to see a true match list with all their outcomes before I stop mentally lumping them with other for-profits.
That’s true, but I think the thing that makes this match list better is that there are quite a few elite matches that you can’t SOAP into like Ortho, ENT, Peds at Yale, Patho at Stanford, IM & Rads at UCLA, etc. As of now, they aren’t reporting a match %, but even if it was lower %-wise, I would still say this tentative list is better than their first match.

That’s true, but I think the thing that makes this match list better is that there are quite a few elite matches that you can’t SOAP into like Ortho, ENT, Peds at Yale, Patho at Stanford, IM & Rads at UCLA, etc. As of now, they aren’t reporting a match %, but even if it was lower %-wise, I would still say this tentative list is better than their first match.
I dunno man. I know one of their Plastics applicants clearly failed to match. Would having 2 Ortho and 1 ENT match still impress you if you found out there were half a dozen others who failed to match their surgical subspecialties? I'd still have a pretty abysmal opinion of that

I dunno man. I know one of their Plastics applicants clearly failed to match. Would having 2 Ortho and 1 ENT match still impress you if you found out there were half a dozen others who failed to match their surgical subspecialties? I'd still have a pretty abysmal opinion of that
That’s true. I guess if their match percentage was in the 80’s, it would look a lot worse, but this list isn’t complete. This is just the half that texted their adcom lady to include in the video she posted.

• Wow
That’s true. I guess if their match percentage was in the 80’s, it would look a lot worse, but this list isn’t complete. This is just the half that texted their adcom lady to include in the video she posted.
See now, that's extremely concerning. This has huge response bias where the SOAPs and awful matches are way less likely to send in their match than the people proud of where they're going. If you took a voluntary sample like that from other schools they would blow this list away.

Haha that reminds me of when I was impressed by Georgetown's ortho matches and then a MS3 friend there told me they have like ~35 who apply into ortho and half match. Taking these match lists with a grain of salt :p

Would’ve been good to know that part haha

Would’ve been good to know that part haha
Read my original post. The first thing I said was that this was only like half of the matches. Nevertheless, all I'm saying is, barring any insane abnormality, this list is miles better than last year's. :lol:

Peds at Yale is not elite. Pathology in general is not competitive (even Stanford has some DOs and IMGs among their resident class). I'm not discounting that this is better than last year's match list but it's not a particularly impressive match list to me.

To be fair even my top 25 school has two people fail to match plastics and same for ENT. Top specialties are a crapshoot and people can apply even if they're not likely to match.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like my school had an absurd amount of couples matching this year. I know I ran into some hopeful derm/ortho couples during my TY interviews this year. Anybody hear of crazy success stories so far?

Peds at Yale is not elite. Pathology in general is not competitive (even Stanford has some DOs and IMGs among their resident class). I'm not discounting that this is better than last year's match list but it's not a particularly impressive match list to me.

To be fair even my top 25 school has two people fail to match plastics and same for ENT. Top specialties are a crapshoot and people can apply even if they're not likely to match.
Hopkins also had people SOAP in departments like Urology, Ortho and Ophtho this year. That's why I want to know NorthState's SOAP rate...it is probably a jaw dropper.

• Wow