Match List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needmatchlisthelp2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I'm a frequent SDNer but wanted to create a new account for rank list purposes in order to remain anonymous. I've interviewed at 17 DR programs and need help ranking. I've basically separated them into 3 categories: 1. would be ecstatic to match at any of these programs, 2. would be happy to match here, 3. would be disappointed. If you guys could help me better rank these programs it would be greatly appreciated! I'm having a lot of trouble... Listed below are the programs (note, I did not list any program in any particular order within the categories).

Category 1
1. Yale
2. University of Chicago
3. UPMC
4. University of Maryland
5. Pennsylvania Hospital

Category 2
1. University of Virginia
2. University of Illinois
3. Albert Einstein Philly
4. Drexel
5. Loyola
6. Case Western

Category 3
1. SUNY Brooklyn
2. Maimonides
3. University of Miami
4. Cooper
5. Cincinnati
6. Georgetown

Thanks so much for all your help everyone!! I greatly appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask why you would be disappointed with Cincinnati but happy with Loyola?

May I also ask why you’d be disappointed with Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask why you went on 17 radiology interviews? Wow

I mean... rank your top 5 as your top 5?

There's a lot we don't know - single/married, proximity to family important/not important, have an idea of what geographic location you want to practice in, etc. If name and national recognition are important, you can look at the Doximity top radiology program lists and p53's old list, but those certainly have imperfections. Your gut on interview day and seeing yourself fit as well as your life and family interests are more important than any lists.

Personally, I'd do 1) UVA, 2) UPMC, and 3) UM but my interests are different from yours given UVA is in a second-tier category. Many people would choose UC as the top to be in Chicago. again, different life interests.

If I were ranking based on quality/rep, I would do:
1) UVA
2) UPMC
3) Yale
4) Maryland
5) U Chicago

How you have tiered, I'd do:
Cat 1
1) UPMC
2) Yale
3) Maryland
4) U Chicago
5) Penn Hospital

Cat 2
1) UVA
2) Case Western
Any order for the rest

Cat 3
1) Georgetown
2) Miami
Any order for the rest

Realizing that you're not ranking within categories, I would probably make the following changes:
  • Pennsy and Yale should probably drop out of category 1.
  • Drexel should drop out of category 2.
  • Albert Einstein shouldn't move categories, but should probably float up at the top of category 2.

Sorry I should have mentioned what qualities I find important in a program. For me it comes down to reputation and location. I would prefer to live in a larger city (e.g. Chicago, Philly, or even Pittsburgh) but this can be overlooked by the reputation of the program and quality of the training (e.g. Yale). I am couples matching which is why I interviewed at so many programs- and all of the programs I interviewed at my S.O either interviewed at the same hospital or interviewed at a program within the same city.

Thank you all for your input- any other suggestions / opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I mean... rank your top 5 as your top 5?

There's a lot we don't know - single/married, proximity to family important/not important, have an idea of what geographic location you want to practice in, etc. If name and national recognition are important, you can look at the Doximity top radiology program lists and p53's old list, but those certainly have imperfections. Your gut on interview day and seeing yourself fit as well as your life and family interests are more important than any lists.

Personally, I'd do 1) UVA, 2) UPMC, and 3) UM but my interests are different from yours given UVA is in a second-tier category. Many people would choose UC as the top to be in Chicago. again, different life interests.

Go with your gut. You know where you’ll be the happiest.