match lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amd263

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is more important to look at when you evaluate match lists, the number of students going to top residency programs, or the number of students getting the highly competitive specialties (derm, ortho)?

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible at this point to determine which programs are considered top-notch and which ones are not. The fundamental problem is that institutional prestige does not necessarily translate into excellent graduate medical education. In other words, a residency at Yale is not always a great thing. Thus, evaluation of match lists based on where students match is a pointless activity for a pre-med, unless you can sit down with residents in various fields and ask them. Current residents know what programs are great.

You can't assess the quality of a match list based on how many graduates match into a particular specialty. Not everyone wants to go into dermatology, orthopaedics, or some other highly competitive specialty, the quality of the respective lifestyles notwithstanding. So if you only see a couple of matches in dermatology for some medical school class, you cannot infer that the medical school sucks ass at placing grads into dermatology. You need to know how many students wanted to pursue a career in dermatology and what their credentials are.

The bottom line: don't worry about comparing match lists.

However, if you're very interested in a particular specialty, you can do some research to figure out which schools in the U.S. have great clinical deparments in this specialty. For instance, it would be wise for a person with a strong interest in oncology to go to Baylor College of Medicine or UT Houston med school because of MD Anderson Cancer Center. This hospital is the best in the world for cancer treatment. In my case, I'm very interested in surgery, so I plan to attend the University of Michigan Medical School, which has a particularly strong surgery department. If you want to become a rural family doctor, there are certain schools in the U.S. (University of New Mexico med school, I think) that are geared towards the production of rural physicians.

I think WashU has a really good surgery residency, too. Just what I hear through the grapevine...