match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khanal007

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats everyone, after looking at this thread I thought I'd pose a general question to those who matched, didn't match, look at this forum, etc without starting a new thread....

I ntoiced that many of the applicants here have just phenomenal board scores. I'm just now an MS2, and I know it's early to be worrying about Step 1, but my school makes me decide on a clerkship schedule in the fall so I'm starting to think now about how much time I think I'll need to study for Step 1 (we're required to take the test before starting 3rd year clerkships).

At my school, most people take only 3 weeks to study right after their last final of 2nd year. That stresses me out -- my advisors, etc here tell me that's enough time, but my school is notorious for having one of the lowest board score averages of schools of similar rank. I love Radonc (doing research in my schools dept right now), and also understand how competitive the field has become.

Another reason I'm posting in this forum and not under the "Step 1" forum: I worry that if I take longer to study for Step 1, I'll deprive myself of extra time for one more Radonc specific elective or away rotation. Elective time is what I'll be cutting into if I take more time to study for Step 1.

So here's my disgustingly subjective question: Which is more valuable, a higher board score, or squeezing in one more away rotation?

(I'm also considering taking a year off, which would allow me extra time to study, stick in more aways if I wanted to, squeeze in time to do clinical research)

Members don't see this ad.

congrats everyone, after looking at this thread I thought I'd pose a general question to those who matched, didn't match, look at this forum, etc without starting a new thread....

I ntoiced that many of the applicants here have just phenomenal board scores. I'm just now an MS2, and I know it's early to be worrying about Step 1, but my school makes me decide on a clerkship schedule in the fall so I'm starting to think now about how much time I think I'll need to study for Step 1 (we're required to take the test before starting 3rd year clerkships).

At my school, most people take only 3 weeks to study right after their last final of 2nd year. That stresses me out -- my advisors, etc here tell me that's enough time, but my school is notorious for having one of the lowest board score averages of schools of similar rank. I love Radonc (doing research in my schools dept right now), and also understand how competitive the field has become.

Another reason I'm posting in this forum and not under the "Step 1" forum: I worry that if I take longer to study for Step 1, I'll deprive myself of extra time for one more Radonc specific elective or away rotation. Elective time is what I'll be cutting into if I take more time to study for Step 1.

So here's my disgustingly subjective question: Which is more valuable, a higher board score, or squeezing in one more away rotation?

(I'm also considering taking a year off, which would allow me extra time to study, stick in more aways if I wanted to, squeeze in time to do clinical research)

You don't need to take a year off just to study or even do research. It can all be done during med school! I don't think studying for an extra week or so will boost your Step scores that much, if any. However, I'd definitely say that doing significantly better on your boards is much more important than doing any extra rad onc away rotation. Board scores are such an important part of the initial screening process. I didn't do any aways and I got plenty of interviews and matched, if that makes you feel any better.