Matched fellowship. Can I stop trying that hard now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched fellowship at an institution far away from my current medicine residency. Is there any repercussion of not trying that hard for the last 6 months of my residency? I plan to just take it easy and show up to work and do what's needed for proper patient care. But I do not plan to go the extra mile and try to appease attendings, look up references for notes, etc. Are evaluations even important anymore so long as I pass? There were also a couple of research projects I was involved in but never came to fruition and I plan to either pass them onto some interns or drop it altogether.

Members don't see this ad.

These are your last 6 months to become the best internist you can be. We have all seen subspecialty attendings who cant manage even the simplest of IM things and its cringe inducing. Finish strong because its your last chance to see some of the wide breadth of pathology that IM gets to manage

Reactions: 2 users
I matched fellowship at an institution far away from my current medicine residency. Is there any repercussion of not trying that hard for the last 6 months of my residency? I plan to just take it easy and show up to work and do what's needed for proper patient care. But I do not plan to go the extra mile and try to appease attendings, look up references for notes, etc. Are evaluations even important anymore so long as I pass? There were also a couple of research projects I was involved in but never came to fruition and I plan to either pass them onto some interns or drop it altogether.

Yes, but don't get into trouble! No DUIs, no illegal drugs, and don't stick your $%^# where it doesn't belong. Just good common sense, which is a lot to ask of some doctors.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but don't get into trouble! No DUIs, no illegal drugs, and don't stick your $%^# where it doesn't belong. Just good common sense, which is a lot to ask of some doctors.
Well, now I'm confused. Marijuana is legal...so I can do that? :unsure:

As said above. Just don't do anything stupid/common sense. Also, show up.

It’s all a balance act. You want to rest your mind before the fellowship. Don’t forget board studying

Is it possible to even coast in residency? Appeasing your attendings is one thing I guess, but idk how you can just half-ass it when it comes to not jeopardizing patient care.

Is it possible to even coast in residency? Appeasing your attendings is one thing I guess, but idk how you can just half-ass it when it comes to not jeopardizing patient care.
Yes. Just look at how a June PGY3 conducts him/herself compared to a July PGY2. Both will carry out the tasks the attending want from rounds, but one will have an easier time doing so.

I kept working hard even till the end, that helped me be more confident when I moonlighted as a fellow.

I would keep at it

best of luck

Reactions: 1 user

It is all your choice. It is typically very difficult to be fired until you did something extremely unacceptable.

For the research, if you don't plan to do academic and these research are simply for fellowship match, then it is probably ok to drop them.

I say go ahead and coast with one caveat: Remember that the people below you in the medical heirarchy matter. If you have an overwhelmed intern or a coding patient, step up to the plate so that your team can still thrive. There are other people still depending on you to pull your weight. While you don't have to go crazy doing more research, I would be careful to still do the work so your colleagues don't suffer.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a stupid question. I'm glad you mentioned proper patient care but you are supposed to be a professional so whatever amount of effort it takes to be professional I guess is the answer. Though I don't even know what you are asking: whether you need to brown nose?

And like is third year even hard at this point? I thought it was easy at that stage anyways. Also don't forget medicine can be a small world and a bad reputation will not go away.