All Branch Topic (ABT) Matched Residency for E4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Army

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm an IMG and currently an E4 in National guard Reserve. I did pass Step 1 and Step 2ck. I'm studying for cs and planning to take it in Nov.
My question is " Do I have any advantages for matching any residency programs because I'm in service ?". if not, then what should I do to enhance my chance for matching?
I 'm also looking for any externship in VA hospitals for IM and FM. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get in? I live in orange county, california. I know that I got very low chance because I am an IMG so I can take any residency programs, no region restrictions.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are asking about military residencies you actually aren’t eligible for any of them due to being an IMG.

If you are asking about civilian residencies then I would say unlikely to actually being a disadvantage if you are still in the Guard during residency.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are asking about military residencies you actually aren’t eligible for any of them due to being an IMG.

If you are asking about civilian residencies then I would say unlikely to actually being a disadvantage if you are still in the Guard during residency.
When I applied (in reserve component as a doctor and therefor protected from deployment) only about half mentioned it, half of those that mentioned pretty openly implied it was a negative to them and basically made it clear they didn’t want to have to deal with drill schedule.

An E4 is not protected and that would likely be more negative

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied (in reserve component as a doctor and therefor protected from deployment) only about half mentioned it, half of those that mentioned pretty openly implied it was a negative to them and basically made it clear they didn’t want to have to deal with drill schedule.

An E4 is not protected and that would likely be more negative
Thank you for all comments. So basically, residency programs dont like NGR much because of drill schedule. I'm gonna be ETS before residency strarts for sure after 4 years in service. But if I get into any residency programs, I'll be promoted to O 3, I guess, so drill schedule is not a big deal. What I'm trying to say here is that:
1- I can gain some advantages when applying for residency programs in VA hospitals because I am/ was in service or not at all?
2- Do they prefer applicants in service than others or not?
3- Do medical recruiters help me out to get any connection to any residency programs? Honestly, what I am thinking is that I could do externship in hospitals that have residency programs so I could get some strong LOR.

Thank you for all comments. So basically, residency programs dont like NGR much because of drill schedule. I'm gonna be ETS before residency strarts for sure after 4 years in service. But if I get into any residency programs, I'll be promoted to O 3, I guess, so drill schedule is not a big deal. What I'm trying to say here is that:
1- I can gain some advantages when applying for residency programs in VA hospitals because I am/ was in service or not at all?
2- Do they prefer applicants in service than others or not?
3- Do medical recruiters help me out to get any connection to any residency programs? Honestly, what I am thinking is that I could do externship in hospitals that have residency programs so I could get some strong LOR.
You wouldn't "promote" to O3, you would commission and I don't know if IMG status impacts that ability prior to earning an actual license
I don't know if the VA affiliated ones treat guard folks differently
recruiters have nothing to do with residency

You wouldn't "promote" to O3, you would commission and I don't know if IMG status impacts that ability prior to earning an actual license
I don't know if the VA affiliated ones treat guard folks differently
recruiters have nothing to do with residency
Thanks for your comments
So bottom lines, I have no advantages for residency even though I was in service. Hopefully, I could get into any residency programs :(

Hi I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm IMG and trying to see what, if any, advantages I have since being a SM.

Sorry y'all, I know this topic was old. I got 1 more question when I apply for next cycle. I'm working as a medic in NG when I got drills. Is it counted USCE? I feel like when I got patients, it is kinda like I was praticing CS test.

Your 68W duties in the National Guard are a nice extra-curricular for when you apply to medical school. It's not USCE.

Reactions: 1 users