matching into cali residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moomix906

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im about to turn down Pitt for Brown, and im getting cold feet big time. my dream is to do a residency or fellowship in internal/infectious diseases at UCSF or UCLA, and at the last minute im having all these doubts. Ive never been to cali so im freaking out that maybe pitt will have better name recognition at the other side of the nation? anyone else dragging their feet down to the last possible minute to drop all their other acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

im about to turn down Pitt for Brown, and im getting cold feet big time. my dream is to do a residency or fellowship in internal/infectious diseases at UCSF or UCLA, and at the last minute im having all these doubts. Ive never been to cali so im freaking out that maybe pitt will have better name recognition at the other side of the nation? anyone else dragging their feet down to the last possible minute to drop all their other acceptances?

Gotto where you'll be most happy, cuz you'll do better when you are happy. I think once outside the big Hs (harvey/hopkins) I don't think name of your school matters much. But if you get an acceptance from a cali school and you know for sure you want to got to cali for res then you better jump on that asap.

Gotto where you'll be most happy, cuz you'll do better when you are happy. I think once outside the big Hs (harvey/hopkins) I don't think name of your school matters much. But if you get an acceptance from a cali school and you know for sure you want to got to cali for res then you better jump on that asap.

Well, certain names like UCSF/Duke/etc probably still help. However, I don't think there is a huge difference in reputation between Pitt/Brown, with the slight edge going to Pitt.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most med students will change their mind about desired specialty at least once during med school. It's thus somewhat foolish to worry about a particular residency path so early. Either Pitt or Brown will be an adequate launching pad for such path, it will largely come down to how you do on Step 1 and your clinical years.

Name recognition is not an issue with american medical schools. I strongly, strongly recommend that you go to the school that you will have the most fun at.