Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

matching into cali residency

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moomix906, May 13, 2007.

1. moomix906

Medical Student
    im about to turn down Pitt for Brown, and im getting cold feet big time. my dream is to do a residency or fellowship in internal/infectious diseases at UCSF or UCLA, and at the last minute im having all these doubts. Ive never been to cali so im freaking out that maybe pitt will have better name recognition at the other side of the nation? anyone else dragging their feet down to the last possible minute to drop all their other acceptances?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    Gotto where you'll be most happy, cuz you'll do better when you are happy. I think once outside the big Hs (harvey/hopkins) I don't think name of your school matters much. But if you get an acceptance from a cali school and you know for sure you want to got to cali for res then you better jump on that asap.

4. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, certain names like UCSF/Duke/etc probably still help. However, I don't think there is a huge difference in reputation between Pitt/Brown, with the slight edge going to Pitt.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Most med students will change their mind about desired specialty at least once during med school. It's thus somewhat foolish to worry about a particular residency path so early. Either Pitt or Brown will be an adequate launching pad for such path, it will largely come down to how you do on Step 1 and your clinical years.

6. irie

irie royale with cheese

Resident [Any Field]
    Name recognition is not an issue with american medical schools. I strongly, strongly recommend that you go to the school that you will have the most fun at.