Matching into California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiue

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster here. I am a student at DO school out in the midwest, and I really want to match back into California to stay close to my relatives.

I realize that matching into California for anything is super competitive even thought I am not aiming for any specialty super competitive (pediatrics, OBGYN). The problem is that I spend so much time studying for classes that I don't really have time to do any other extracurricular activities.

Is there any advice for people like me or should I just suck it up and try to spend more time doing leadership, volunteering, and research on top of school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting a high boards score while staying afloat in your pre-clinical curriculum should be your top priority. EC's are nice to have but they are't nearly as important as your boards score. Research experience is the only thing I'd advice you to do, but again, this shouldn't compromise your ability to pass courses or do well on the USMLE.

If I were you, I'd dedicate my attention and efforts to doing your best in your class and getting a high USMLE/COMLEX score, and then once you start rotations, seek clinical research opportunities. That's what many students do.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi,

First time poster here. I am a student at DO school out in the midwest, and I really want to match back into California to stay close to my relatives.

I realize that matching into California for anything is super competitive even thought I am not aiming for any specialty super competitive (pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, OBGYN). The problem is that I spend so much time studying for classes that I don't really have time to do any other extracurricular activities.

I want to do really well on Step 1 but I also dont want to have nothing on my resume once I start applying for residencies.

Is there any advice for people like me or should I just suck it up and try to spend more time doing leadership, volunteering, and research on top of school?

Thank you!

Being a rock star on the wards during third year, then being a rock star during a fourth year away rotation at a California hospital will both go a long way. While it's true that California is a very desirable place to be, there are a lot of family medicine and internal medicine programs in California, many of which take DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need ECs for your pre-clinical years. Focus on boards, that will have a much greater impact on getting back to CA than anything else you do right now. You'll get a chance for good opportunities in the clinical years if you look for them.

The biggest resource you should use when you get out from under Step 1 is contacts out west. Talk to people you know, contact programs you're interested in, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
University programs in California are tough to crack coming from an out of state DO school. I only received one interview at a Ca university IM program this season.

Match at the best place you can and have your family move to you.

Hi,

I realize that matching into California for anything is super competitive even thought I am not aiming for any specialty super competitive (pediatrics, OBGYN). The problem is that I spend so much time studying for classes that I don't really have time to do any other extracurricular activities.

Thank you!

As long as you're ok with going to a California residency that would look no different than somewhere in Kansas (Fresno, Bakersfield) with no ocean or palm tree in sight, then you'll have no problem at all.

As long as you're ok with going to a California residency that would look no different than somewhere in Kansas (Fresno, Bakersfield) with no ocean or palm tree in sight, then you'll have no problem at all.

Hey now Fresno has its redeeming qualities! (Super Biased though)

University programs in California are tough to crack coming from an out of state DO school. I only received one interview at a Ca university IM program this season.
Hey I got an interview to all the California programs I applied to... That's just one :)