Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Matching into optho

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by SpartyFan, Mar 21, 2007.

1. SpartyFan

Medical Student
    Due to medical issues of my own it has been my dream to become an ophthalmologist. In fact, I would consider it a dissapointment if in 4 years I was doing a residency in any other field. After reasearching, it has become apparent that it is very difficult to get an ophtho residency. I consider myself smart (I got into medical school) but wouldn't consider myself to be in the top 5 percent of all medical students. With this said, is it possible to get into the "easiest/worst" optho residency if you have a passion for it, graduate near the middle of the class with a board score around the 50th percentile, and are otherwise an average applicant? Or is the "worst" optho residency only for the worst of the cream of the crop? I don't care where I do my residency as long as I can help people see again!!

Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JMK2005

JMK2005 Member

Attending Physician
    It seems that from your post that you are a first year med student. If that is the case, then it is still very early in the game. Do well in step 1, get involved in some research if you can, get to know people in the ophthalmology dept. Once third year rolls around, then you can better assess what your chances of getting into an ophthalmology residency are.

goodluck.

4. FutureOph123

Resident [Any Field]
    You definitely do not have to be in the top 5% of your class... more like top 1%:eek: In reality, you do not have to be even near the top in ranking, but you need to have something "near the top" such as great research, letters, etc. Most future ophthalmologists are not AOA .

5. SpartyFan

Medical Student
    Is there a usmle score or class rank that if you get below you are pretty much screwed. Clearly, the application is looked at as a whole but what are some general min. cutoffs for the lesser known residency programs?

THANKS!

6. MR1

MR1

Attending Physician
    I don't know if there are any true cut offs for step one scores but I would imagine most schools have them. Either way your step score will factor in when it comes time to rank you. As far as a gestimate for a minimum, since the average score for unmatched is around 215 and for matched is about 230, I would say you definitely need at least a 215, preferably 220 to have a good chance.

Of course people get in with lower and even if you get a 210 I might still give it a shot. What you need to do is beef up your app in other areas. Get to know your ophtho dept NOW and get involved in some significant research, preferably anything that is gonna get published. Then when third year comes around sit down with your program director to go over your app and ask him to be honest with you, do you have a chance and what schools should you apply to?

Hope this helps.

7. SpartyFan

Medical Student
    Thank you so much!!! That was exacly the advice I was looking for. Good luck to you in the future.