matching into the wrong field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunderland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there!

i have a slight dilemma/crisis. so, i'm a MSIV who will be matching into gen surg (categorical) this year. earlier this year, i debated heavily between gen surg and anesthesiology, but eventually chose gen surg. however, i've come to my senses in the last few weeks, and i realize that anesthesia is by far the better choice. since i've already applied through eras to gen surg (and assumingly it's too late to apply to prelim years or anesthesiology), what do you guys think is the most sensible plan for me. match in a categorical spot in gen surg this year, then go through the 2009-10 eras cycle during my intern year for a ca-1 spot in anesthesiology? do people do this successfully and get a good spot in anesthesia?

thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Sunderland I was in your exact same position, however came to my senses during the second half of my intern year. Unfortunately when I decided to switch the ERAS application was closed and there were no decent programs with spots outside the match. I took the year off did some research, applied through ERAS and have recently secured a spot at a great program. Don't be afraid to switch, even if you have to take time off, speaking from experience it is worth it. I felt like it was the end of the world at first, but it really hasn't been that bad. Do what your heart tells you.

Last edited:
I have a friend who went through the same thing this year. I will PM you with her story. Hopefully it will help.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I went thru the same but with ER. I took an elective in Anesthesia as MS4 in October and decided that it was better for me and switched. I know it is kind of late, but you can get the letters and change the personal statement and apply as many programs as you can. It worked for me. good luck

Last edited:
This seems late in the interview season. Talk to the program @ your med school. Tell them your problem. This is not the end of the world. If worse comes to worse, you can apply to gas during your surgical intern year.

Cambie

I don't think it's too late for you. I changed my mind right about this time in 2003 and fired off about 30 applications in my ERAS. The only thing is, did you do an anesthesiology sub-I? Do you have an anesthesia letter? Getting the interview usually will first depend on your ERAS cv and your board scores which I am sure you have done already. The essay is not a big deal either. Believe it or not I was invited for interviews before I even put in an essay. The ERAS is dynamic like that so get the application part submitted to programs right away.

Things have changed a lot since 2003 but I would be willing to bet that you could still score a few interviews.

Just make sure you really do not want to do surgery and this is not a last minute cold feet issue.

hey guys!

thanks so much for all the advice already. i really appreciate it.

i've sent an email to our program director, so we'll see what she has to say about it. i think it's a little bit more than cold feet. i don't actually enjoy operating. i like the thought of it and the post-op icu care of the patients but not necessarily actually doing it. so, i believe that anesthesiology would fit me incredibly better.

unfortunately, i did not do an anesthesiology sub-i, and i would have trouble getting three letters from anesthesiologists. it could probably be done, but i guess i will wait to hear from my program director. i'll keep you guys posted.

thanks again!

You don't need 3 letters from Anesthesiologists... When I applied, I had one from an anesthesiologist, and two from internal medicine faculty. Good luck!!