This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Asclepius293

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all!

Current third year student with an interest in family medicine. I'm really hoping to match out of state and was wondering if anyone had any tips on that or insight into whether that's more difficult to do in family medicine. Ideally, I'm hoping for Colorado or New Mexico area since my partner is hoping to move back there in the next few years. Unfortunately, my STEP 1 score is only 212 which I understand will have a negative impact on my match. I am taking steps to do well on my Third Year grades and STEP 2 now.

Thanks!
 
You could consider doing an early 4th year away rotation in one of those places to show interest, or having specific personal statements for CO/NM programs that touch upon why you want to live there despite not being from the area. Your score is still fine for many/most FM programs, I wouldn't stress too much about that, though obviously you should strive to do better on Step 2 if possible.