Matching out West

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitherefriend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Browsed sdn a lot over the past year and now I am finally posting...

Basically I am a 4th at a mid-tier allopathic school in the midwest. My stats:

Middle of my class, mainly HPs in 3rd year clerkships. Was kept from honors in all rotations d/t my shelf scores. Only passed medicine and surgery. Excellent evaluations, however, with medicine and surgery both stating I would have received honors had I done better on the shelf. Honored anesthesia.
Step 1: 222
Step 2: 247
Great extracurriculars with unique volunteer experiences and leadership positions
One poster presentation at the state anesthesiologist annual meeting
Unique personal statement that shows I am well-rounded; told by many that I had read it that it is very well written (for what it's worth)
The department chair of anesthesiology at my school is world-reknown and is writing me a letter, as well as a letter from his protege who is also very well known. Going to have a great IM letter too.
Masters degree in science
Originally from California

I want to go to an anesthesiology program in California, Seattle, or Denver. I know my grades and Step 1 aren't the best, but do my ties, Step 2 score, letters, PS, and being well-rounded and a great interviewee give me a good chance at these programs? I am also doing one away rotation in CA. How much does my Step 2 erase my Step 1?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll do fine.

If you are stressed about your application, try not to get on this forum; it will cause more anxiety than relief.

Just apply. There are, what, 10 programs on the West Coast? The cost is nominal. Put in your application (in a timely fashion if possible), and see how it goes.

If you are concerned, broaden your applications to other parts of the country. If you end up getting a bunch of WC interviews, you can always cancel the interviews at the other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Browsed sdn a lot over the past year and now I am finally posting...

Basically I am a 4th at a mid-tier allopathic school in the midwest. My stats:

Middle of my class, mainly HPs in 3rd year clerkships. Was kept from honors in all rotations d/t my shelf scores. Only passed medicine and surgery. Excellent evaluations, however, with medicine and surgery both stating I would have received honors had I done better on the shelf. Honored anesthesia.
Step 1: 222
Step 2: 247
Great extracurriculars with unique volunteer experiences and leadership positions
One poster presentation at the state anesthesiologist annual meeting
Unique personal statement that shows I am well-rounded; told by many that I had read it that it is very well written (for what it's worth)
The department chair of anesthesiology at my school is world-reknown and is writing me a letter, as well as a letter from his protege who is also very well known. Going to have a great IM letter too.
Masters degree in science
Originally from California

I want to go to an anesthesiology program in California, Seattle, or Denver. I know my grades and Step 1 aren't the best, but do my ties, Step 2 score, letters, PS, and being well-rounded and a great interviewee give me a good chance at these programs? I am also doing one away rotation in CA. How much does my Step 2 erase my Step 1?

Thank you in advance!

You should be fine with the match as long as you apply smartly. Obviously, you know that California is a tough market, but your away will likely be very helpful for the program you're doing it at (assuming you do well on it). Like the others said, though, it isn't expensive just to apply to all the Cali programs since there aren't that many. IMHO, UCSF and Stanford are probably at the top end of the spectrum in terms of competitiveness, then UCLA and UCSD are just below, and then the others are about the same (but still competitive).

Step 1 is a little below average but it does help that you did well on Step 2 and have other things going for you. A number of programs, especially the competitive programs, still have a strong emphasis on Step 1.

Oh and Colorado is well-known on this forum to strongly emphasizes applicant's intentions to match there and ties to the area.

I'm not expecting to hear from UCSF or Stanford... but are interview invites from UCLA, UCSD, UW, U Colorado (assuming I mention interest in Denver) realistic for me? I know they still care about my Step 1, but will my stellar Step 2 +other factors get me interviews at these schools?