Matching Radiology in Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iux

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to match radiology in the Air Force? I'm going to be doing the Air Force HPSP and am interested in radiology. Also, I will most likely be a DO and will attend ACOM.

Members don't see this ad.

They have radiology spots in the Air Force currently. Radiology is on the fields DHA seems to want to cut down on. That said the Air Force is still training people at a higher rate than the navy at least. (Can’t say what it will be like in four to five years when you’d be applying)

Reactions: 1 user
They have radiology spots in the Air Force currently. Radiology is on the fields DHA seems to want to cut down on. That said the Air Force is still training people at a higher rate than the navy at least. (Can’t say what it will be like in four to five years when you’d be applying)
But why would the military cut down on radiology? It’s literally the central component of modern medicine. Almost everything requires some sort of scan these days and they must be read by qualified radiologists. I’m guessing they want to give more workloads to fewer radiologist to cut down on costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Iux

A radiologist can be anywhere in the world. They have no operational role. The real question is why any radiologist should be on AD rather than GS.

Reactions: 2 users
@Iux

A radiologist can be anywhere in the world. They have no operational role. The real question is why any radiologist should be on AD rather than GS.
I am interested in radiology but I’m open to something else if it Interests me. What specialties are in demand within the military? I’m guessing those geared toward trauma.

You should be asking what specialities are in demand in the military 7-10 years from now. But who cares? You should decide what you want not military wants or needs. I think military needs family medicine and ER. Whatever speciality that help with medical readiness and war fighting capability in operational environment. GS is maybe. Lots of complaints regarding lack of cases. Not a good time to join HPSP or USUHS. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be asking what specialities are in demand in the military 7-10 years from now. But who cares? You should decide what you want not military wants or needs. I think military needs family medicine and ER. Whatever speciality that help with medical readiness and war fighting capability in operational environment. GS is maybe. Lots of complaints regarding lack of cases. Not a good time to join HPSP or USUHS. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! I'm just going to focus on radiology and let the pieces fall where they may then