Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howtopick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the likelihood of matching into EM if you have two attempts for Step 1 with second score being low 200s?

Members don't see this ad.

Low but not impossible. You need to improve significantly with Step 2 and you have to do well with your EM rotations. You should also apply to a back up like family medicine.

Obviously that's not a great score- you know that or you wouldn't be posting. A great audition rotation can make up a significant amount of ground, however, as can a stellar step 2. There's really no other formulas for success. If you can do those two things you should have a decent shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the likelihood of matching into EM if you have two attempts for Step 1 with second score being low 200s?
Low but not impossible. You need to improve significantly with Step 2 and you have to do well with your EM rotations. You should also apply to a back up like family medicine.
Is there a site to see what programs would be more likely to accept such scores? Or are the programs that are known to cater towards personality/work ethic over scores?

Obviously that's not a great score- you know that or you wouldn't be posting. A great audition rotation can make up a significant amount of ground, however, as can a stellar step 2. There's really no other formulas for success. If you can do those two things you should have a decent shot.
What would a “stellar Step 2” range be?

Is there a site to see what programs would be more likely to accept such scores? Or are the programs that are known to cater towards personality/work ethic over scores?

EMRA has a webapp called EMRA Match. It can give you different filters, such as step 1 failures (I’m assuming that’s why you took it twice) as well as cutoff scores for various programs. All of the data can be downloaded into Excel spreadsheets then further filtered as needed. The webapp is on the emra.org website. Good luck!

EMRA has a webapp called EMRA Match. It can give you different filters, such as step 1 failures (I’m assuming that’s why you took it twice) as well as cutoff scores for various programs. All of the data can be downloaded into Excel spreadsheets then further filtered as needed. The webapp is on the emra.org website. Good luck!

This is a great place to start researching programs, just keep in mind some of the cut-offs are incorrect.

The reality is... you may be in a position where applying to every program is called for. You can cut out the very competitive ones (see last year's rank order list to get an idea of which programs are competitive), since unfortunately your scores will likely close those doors. Other than that, applying broadly will be your best bet, including programs that state on the EMRA website that they don't accept Step 1 failures. After all, the website might be inaccurate.

such as step 1 failures (I’m assuming that’s why you took it twice)
You actually aren't allowed to retake step I just because you want to try for a better score. The only time you can retake step I is if your score is no longer valid because it's been too many years since you took it for a residency/state to accept it, or if you failed it.

You have a chance but realistically its very low with a step 1 failure. If your passing score is under 210 that will also hurt you. Great rotations and a step 2 >245 might help convince the places that don't filter you out to give you an interview.

If you could pull off 2-3 top 1/3/top 10% sloes I bet you match easily

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Disagree. Bust your ass and maybe match. Nothing will be done "easily" with what you've provided so far.

Reactions: 1 users