Math Grades

Started by Gucci Row
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gucci Row

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I did three years of civil engineering before I realized it wasn't for me. In the process, I took several math class. I aced Calculus I,II,III, and Linear Algebra, but the last one I took, Differential equations, made no sense to me and I got a D. Will this be lumped into my science GPA, and if so, will schools look deep enough into my transcript to see that the culprit is a class well beyond what is required for D school?
 
Don't sweat it. I pulled C's in calcIII, lin alg, and diff eqns. It was never mentioned at my interviews. Your D is ofcourse lower but it's only one grade. they may just ask what happened to see how you explain a failure. I don't think it will have any impact on your acceptances.
And yes, it will be included in your sciGPA. But you should have enough sci classes as a predent/engineering major to well offset it.
 
I agree with SanOnofre2002 about how your math grades are part of your sci gpa.

I am a career changer from engineering to dental, and I also did terrible in diff eq. I struggled to get a C+ in the class. Anyway, what the d-schools are going to care about is your overall sci gpa, and especially how well you do in chem and bio classes. I already have a masters in Mech Eng, and my impression was that the d-schools didn't care that much about my eng classes, all they cared about was how well I transitioned into bio and chem.

I was able to get into 4 d-schools with a few poor grades in Mech Eng classes and the C+ in diff eq.

You'll be fine as long as you do well in Bio and chem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a math major with a GPA of 2.5 (including 1 F and at least 1 D in math courses - complex analysis and diff equations, respectively). If you have enough real science with strong work, it's easy to overcome.