Math Pre-req's ... Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas Hearns

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have already taken one semester of stats will taking one semester of calculus fulfill the year requirement of math for most schools? Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that's what I did. The only ones that require a full year are Duke, Harvard, and Texas schools I think. Duke and Harvard accept AP credit I think.

which ones require a year of math (including stats and calc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you just freaking take a full year of calculus? they not only make your application better than others that only have one semester of stat and one semester of calculus 1, but they also make you smarter... that's only if you believe in education...

stats is required for most science majors so you haven't really met any real math requirements for medical school

Maybe because i decided I wanted to be a medical student after my third year and I'm trying to conserve units so I can take required classes. :( sheesh. No need to come in here and be a sarcastic dingus.

stats is required for most science majors so you haven't really met any real math requirements for medical school

What do you mean by this? Does it make my application that much weaker to not have taken a full year of calculus?

Yes, that's what I did. The only ones that require a full year are Duke, Harvard, and Texas schools I think. Duke and Harvard accept AP credit I think.

Duke does, Harvard doesn't completely. They require two semesters of Calc, and if you got credit from the AB exam, then you still need to take a semester. If you took the BC exam, then you don't have to take Calc. They also wouldn't accept stats as a semester and require Calc.

To the OP, the best thing to do is email each school you are interested in to make sure that Stats counts. I needed to take Psych Stats for my psych major and all the schools I applied to that needed math accepted that in addition to my AP calc credits.

That's not true. At our school, the only majors that require stats are psych and the business department, both of which offer their own stats classes.

Thanks for the replies, shantster. I actually took stats at a JC so it wasn't specified to my major (I'm a psych major also). I guess I will have to call the schools and find out, which will be difficult since I don't even know what schools I'm interested in! I'll start with the UC schools, since I'm a CA resident and go from there.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of schools that require a year of math? I know not all schools do.

Maybe because i decided I wanted to be a medical student after my third year and I'm trying to conserve units so I can take required classes. :( sheesh. No need to come in here and be a sarcastic dingus.

What do you mean by this? Does it make my application that much weaker to not have taken a full year of calculus?

I was being sarcastic that's true. I just think that people who try to take the least number of classes just to meet the medical school requirements are pathetic. doctors should have a strong passion for learning. but you lack this passion.

I was being sarcastic that's true. I just think that people who try to take the least number of classes just to meet the medical school requirements are pathetic. doctors should have a strong passion for learning. but you lack this passion.

Some of us don't have the luxury of taking a full year of calculus. It doesn't have anything to do with a passion for learning. For instance, my scholarship covers 15 credits per semester. I need 12 credits to graduate. Cal II is 4 extra credits on top of that 12 leaving one credit that I have to pay for. I can't afford it at this point. I would love to take another semester of calculus, but I would also like to graduate on time. Being a psychology major and a pre-med is not easy credit-wise. All of my elective credits are taken up by the extra classes I've had to take as pre-requisites to med school. There hasn't been room for much else.

Some of us don't have the luxury of taking a full year of calculus. It doesn't have anything to do with a passion for learning. For instance, my scholarship covers 15 credits per semester. I need 12 credits to graduate. Cal II is 4 extra credits on top of that 12 leaving one credit that I have to pay for. I can't afford it at this point. I would love to take another semester of calculus, but I would also like to graduate on time. Being a psychology major and a pre-med is not easy credit-wise. All of my elective credits are taken up by the extra classes I've had to take as pre-requisites to med school. There hasn't been room for much else.

i know my school has a three credit calc class for engineers. maybe find out if your school offers something similar, and if you can get the class.

i know my school has a three credit calc class for engineers. maybe find out if your school offers something similar, and if you can get the class.

My school doesn't offer a 3-credit alternative.

I think you're missing the point of why I want to only take one semester. Not all of us are in an ideal situation.

In order to fufill the Physics requirement, you must complete Cal II, has anyone else faced this? (I've heard people fufilling Physics requirement with Algebra)

In order to fufill the Physics requirement, you must complete Cal II, has anyone else faced this? (I've heard people fufilling Physics requirement with Algebra)

Depends on your school. By us, we have Physics that requires Calc to be taken at the same time or previously, which is generally for the more engineering/physics/met majors and random people that want to take it. There's also a Physics that does not require Calc, which is mostly pre-meds/pre-dents/etc. and some education majors.

Most schools will be fine with one semester of calc and one semester of statistics. Even if the school's prerequisites wouldn't include stats, adcom won't bother as long as they like you enough. Any stat course is as good as calculus courses designed for pre-meds or other non-major people, which excludes math, physics, engineering, econ majors.

I have a passion for learning, but I quite frankly don't see the real benefit in calculus over stats since you'll never use calc again once you get into medical school or definitely once you get into residency (unless you just have a major hard-on for research). That being said, I'm taking it just out of my own sick, twisted curiosity.