mature PhD applying to Mac for MD, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leolad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am writing this for my husband.
32 yrs old, a PhD (American University) , Undergrad (Indian University). We maybe getting our Canadian PR sometime this year.
I've looked at the McMasters program. It seems so ideal to me. No prereqs to take, 3 yr program. But the percentage of people actually getting into seems very tiny. He is a smart guy, professional and ready to take on the hardwork needed. The med school seems a possibility now that I (his wife) have a full time job and am willing to help him through this. My question? what are his odds in getting admitted. Any other schools in US/Canada for foreign nationals that would suit? Any advices...please.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am writing this for my husband.
32 yrs old, a PhD (American University) , Undergrad (Indian University). We maybe getting our Canadian PR sometime this year.
I've looked at the McMasters program. It seems so ideal to me. No prereqs to take, 3 yr program. But the percentage of people actually getting into seems very tiny. He is a smart guy, professional and ready to take on the hardwork needed. The med school seems a possibility now that I (his wife) have a full time job and am willing to help him through this. My question? what are his odds in getting admitted. Any other schools in US/Canada for foreign nationals that would suit? Any advices...please.
Thanks.

We would need to know his GPA. Will he have PR status before application cycle begins? Also, is he done his PhD or is it in progress?

The competition is stiff and there are many many applicants with a similar story, but it can't hurt to apply and see if you get lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed PhD last year, (GPA 3.86). We have to get the GPA and course evaluation for his undergrad. It is actually a Veterinary medicine undergraduation from an Indian University. During the graduate studies also had a few posters and publications and a couple awards too.
We are hoping to get our residency by the end of this year.

When you figure out the GPA let us know. Regardless, he gets +0.04 points when you factor in his completed PhD. This means that even with a 3.6-3.7 he will have a good chance.

The #1 thing to figure out is why does he want to go into medicine and how much he wants to be a doctor? He and the whole family need to be realistic about the practical aspects. For example, he will be forgoing at least 5 years of income (the quickest way is 4 years of medical school, plus 1 years of internship to get a General Practitioner license in B.C.) while paying tens and thousands of dollars in tuition.

The second most important thing is his immigration status. It would be a lot easier to get into a Canadian medical school if he has a PR. In addition, if he really really wants to get into a medical school, would he also consider applying to American schools? But if he goes to an American school, how would that affect his PR status in Canada? You would need some advice from an immigration lawyer at some point.

Now, finally, we can talk about his application procedure. He and you need to figure out if he truly has the pre-req courses to even apply to medical school in the first place. Most schools require one year of university English, one year of university math (either a year of calculus or combination of calculus + statistics), one year of general chemistry, one year of organic chemistry and one year of physics. I understand that highschool in India is much more advanced than in North America and he might have touched upon college-level organic chemistry, math and physics as a highschool student in India. However, to North American medical schools, it doesn't matter. They probably want to see a year's worth of college English class or collge physics class on his undergrad transcript somewhere. And since he did in veterinary medicine, those classes probably wouldn't show up anywhere. It is about time to whip out the undergrad transcript, talk to various medical schools and consider doing post-bac programs to get the pre-req's done.

By the way, I don't think that he should ONLY apply to MacMaster unless there is some family restraint (such as your job is in the area and your family simply can't move away).

Take care!