May 15th Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mastac741

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first year applying to med school, so I don't know the rules of May 15 except you can only hold one acceptance after that date.

1 - If you get accepted off the waitlist at another school, how long do you have until you accept the new school and drop your other school?

2 - Does the waitlist move on May 15 or after May 15?

3 - Do the schools call you or e-mail you or send you a letter via snail mail if they want to accept you off the waitlist?

4 - If they call you, do you have to accept right away over the phone or can you think about it?

5 - Do they include financial aid information with an acceptance offer if you get accepted off a waitlist?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For #2, I don't see why not both.

For #3, depends on the school - some call, some email, some snail.

For #4, they will probably give you some time.

For #5, any schools you are waitlisted for, add them to your FAFSA. See if you can turn in any supplementary paperwork before acceptance. Otherwise, no, they will not give you any financial aid packages (ie loans).

Members don't see this ad :)
My first year applying to med school, so I don't know the rules of May 15 except you can only hold one acceptance after that date.

1 - If you get accepted off the waitlist at another school, how long do you have until you accept the new school and drop your other school?

I think this is 2 weeks for most of summer, probably less closer to the start of classes.

2 - Does the waitlist move on May 15 or after May 15?

3 - Do the schools call you or e-mail you or send you a letter via snail mail if they want to accept you off the waitlist?

4 - If they call you, do you have to accept right away over the phone or can you think about it?

5 - Do they include financial aid information with an acceptance offer if you get accepted off a waitlist?

Thanks in advance!

#1 - Usually 1-2 weeks, after you get your fin aid info
#2 - Some start moving a couple of days before the 15th, and there is usually lots of movement within a couple of days after. Then more acceptances will trickle out throughout the summer.
#3 - I think they usually call, some may email - it will be more immediate method of communication b/c if you definitely don't want the spot, they want to offer it to someone else ASAP.
#4 - Usually they ask if you're still interested in the school, and if you say yes, they offer you a spot, but they don't expect you to confirm that you are definitely going there until you get your financial aid. You will have to sign something and send it in to hold your spot.
#5 - If you have already sent your financial aid info into the school, they will probably process it AFTER you confirm that you are still interested in the school. They're not going to bother processing it until they know that you want to come. However, I got my fin aid package within a couple of days of the phone call last year, and it arrived before my acceptance packet did.

Also, just so you know, I believe that May 15th is not the date at which you can only hold 1 acceptance. June 15th is. The significance of May 15th is that you can no longer get your deposit back if you withdraw after that date. And many schools will start harassing you to make up your mind around May. But I'm pretty sure that they can't revoke your acceptance for holding more than one acceptance until after June 15th.

Also, just so you know, I believe that May 15th is not the date at which you can only hold 1 acceptance. June 15th is. The significance of May 15th is that you can no longer get your deposit back if you withdraw after that date. And many schools will start harassing you to make up your mind around May. But I'm pretty sure that they can't revoke your acceptance for holding more than one acceptance until after June 15th.

I don't think this is the case. Schools can see if you're holding multiple acceptances on May 15th and they may decide to drop you or pressure you into deciding very quickly if you're holding more than once acceptance. You can be on multiple waitlists, however, and still hold one acceptance on/after May 15th.

Yeah this is wrong. May 15th they can harrass, demand money and revoke acceptances. I don't think anything occurs on June 15th except that most schools require their second (larger) deposit by then.

is it possible to accept a waitlist position say on may 16th, then two weeks later accept the second one, and then if your dream school let's say comes two weeks after that, accept that one as well. in other words, can you keep jumping from one school to the other?

is it possible to accept a waitlist position say on may 16th, then two weeks later accept the second one, and then if your dream school let's say comes two weeks after that, accept that one as well. in other words, can you keep jumping from one school to the other?

Yes I think you can do this, as long as you are only holding one acceptance at any point in time. Every time you accept a new acceptance offer you have to drop the one you are currently holding.

Just to add to this etiquette thread...what is the protocol for turning down an offer of acceptance? obviously you would want to do it before may 15th so you can get your deposit back, but do you send a letter/email/call to let them know you are not coming?

Yes'm.

Just to add to this etiquette thread...what is the protocol for turning down an offer of acceptance? obviously you would want to do it before may 15th so you can get your deposit back, but do you send a letter/email/call to let them know you are not coming?

i sent an email for two of them, it seemed ok