Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nothing here either, 11: 40 pm Norwegian time : ) .... but almost 5 MN time, do you think they would really make calls after 5?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't hear anything either... Maybe they're calling on Monday :luck: :luck:

Has anyone heard anything today? Did anyone who interviewed in late Feb. or early March ever receive a ranked email?

Does anyone want to join the goosewatching club that Hope2010 and I are starting... Apparently, she's called president, and I suppose I'll be the founder and secretary.... But treasurer is still open :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Saluki said:
Has anyone heard anything today? Did anyone who interviewed in late Feb. or early March ever receive a ranked email?

Does anyone want to join the goosewatching club that Hope2010 and I are starting... Apparently, she's called president, and I suppose I'll be the founder and secretary.... But treasurer is still open :D

Oh no, no, no! I don't need to be president at all. That position is squarely yours, Saluki. I'm happy to be the alternate acting assistant to the night janitorial underling (...just as long as being the a.a.a.n.j.u. also involves being a Mayo student, I'm perfectly happy)

And in other news, still no news.

Hope2010 said:
Oh no, no, no! I don't need to be president at all. That position is squarely yours, Saluki. I'm happy to be the alternate acting assistant to the night janitorial underling (...just as long as being the a.a.a.n.j.u. also involves being a Mayo student, I'm perfectly happy)

And in other news, still no news.

And I am perfectly willing to be the assistant to the alternate acting assistant to the night janitorial underling if they will show mercy and accept me....
Is anyone else freaking out that today is supposedly the last day to get a straight out acceptance? :scared:

I'm freaking out too! I just wonder why no one's heard yet. How long does it take to call 5 people? Is it possible (say it isn't so!) that all 5 spots went to non-SDNers? Has anyone broken down and called them?

:luck: :luck: Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck:

MNsocsci said:
Has anyone broken down and called them?

It would be nice if someone would call and then fill us all in.

I nominate the assistant to the a.a.a.n.j.u.

Hope2010 said:
It would be nice if someone would call and then fill us all in.

I nominate the assistant to the a.a.a.n.j.u.

The assistant to the a.a.a.n.j.u. humbly defers to her superior, the a.a.a.n.j.u.

Saluki said:
Is anyone else freaking out that today is supposedly the last day to get a straight out acceptance? :scared:

I'm not freaking, I'm just resigned. :(

That said, good luck to everyone! :luck:

MNsocsci said:
I'm freaking out too! I just wonder why no one's heard yet. How long does it take to call 5 people? Is it possible (say it isn't so!) that all 5 spots went to non-SDNers? Has anyone broken down and called them?

:luck: :luck: Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck:

Maybe all five are non-SDNers... I mean supposedly they've already accepted all but five, and the only ones who have been SDNers are chandelantern and Ashanti Rock...
Maybe they don't like us!

Saluki said:
The assistant to the a.a.a.n.j.u. humbly defers to her superior, the a.a.a.n.j.u.

In turn, the a.a.a.n.j.u. humbly defers to her superior, the president. But the president needs to hurry -- there are only 10 minutes until 5pm in Minnesota!

I guess its too late for either of us to call and ask anything now. I feel so sad :( I don't want all the acceptances to be given out--- I wanted one...

maybe they werent all given out today... I think there is still hope for one of SDNers to get it, maybe they are waiting till tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK--- I wanted to save this, but the moment has come... If one of you will be courageous enough to call tomorrow morning and ask if they gave out all the acceptances today, I will give that brave person the great, magnificent, and aweinspiring position of vice-president of the Goosewatching Club...

I know, Yulia, I keep hoping that maybe their phones malfunctioned or the committee changed its mind at the last minute and wanted more time to debate. I am mostly resigned at this point and am just hoping for a spot on the alternate list.

You guys are so funny about calling!! One of us should call tomorrow to see if they gave out all the acceptances, but I excuse myself since I called on Friday. :p If none of us got in, well, then Mayo just doesn't know what it's missing!

MNsocsci said:
I know, Yulia, I keep hoping that maybe their phones malfunctioned or the committee changed its mind at the last minute and wanted more time to debate. I am mostly resigned at this point and am just hoping for a spot on the alternate list.

You guys are so funny about calling!! One of us should call tomorrow to see if they gave out all the acceptances, but I excuse myself since I called on Friday. :p If none of us got in, well, then Mayo just doesn't know what it's missing!

Hey Guys I emailed on sunday night and was told that all decisions will be made by the 31st and that the alternate list will be determined after, hope that helps with the anxiety.

ruglazier said:
Hey Guys I emailed on sunday night and was told that all decisions will be made by the 31st and that the alternate list will be determined after, hope that helps with the anxiety.
p.s. Yulia. you are cute.

ruglazier said:

Sunday night as in last night? Then why did Jane tell me when I called last Friday that everyone had been ranked and all acceptances would be offered Friday and Monday (today)? She also said that we would find out by snail mail later this week about the alternate list. Either they moved things up or Jane was mistaken. Are they just toying with us? AAAAH!

MNsocsci said:
Sunday night as in last night? Then why did Jane tell me when I called last Friday that everyone had been ranked and all acceptances would be offered Friday and Monday (today)? She also said that we would find out by snail mail later this week about the alternate list. Either they moved things up or Jane was mistaken. Are they just toying with us? AAAAH!
I emailed because I never recieved a rank notification and I had a nightmare about my file being kicked under a desk in a dusty place, she said that the class would be "determined" by friday

ruglazier said:
I emailed because I never recieved a rank notification and I had a nightmare about my file being kicked under a desk in a dusty place, she said that the class would be "determined" by friday

Hey Guys,

Best of luck to all of you! I applied to Mayo's MSTP; however, I was unfortunately put on the hold list (I would give my first child to get an offer there!). I loved Mayo and you guys sounds awesome, so I hope things work out for you. Plus, I would like to get in on this goose watching thing... :laugh:

MNsocsci said:

Maybe she meant everyone from your interview group? Though I suppose that isn't very reassuring for you... Maybe she just made a mistake? Ugh....
I'm going batty!

Well Rochester sucks, if that makes anyone feel any better. (I grew up there).

That said, I would live in a cardboard box for a free medical education.

Saluki said:
Maybe she meant everyone from your interview group? Though I suppose that isn't very reassuring for you... Maybe she just made a mistake? Ugh....
I'm going batty!

Hmm... I don't think she just meant my interview group because I interviewed on one of the last possible days (March 8th) so I think my group would be one of the last to be decided on. I never received a "ranked" email or any post-interview contact--on interview day I was told that they would probably just wait until the final adcom meeting to look at my app. Soooo.... I don't know! I would love for there to be a mistake, but I think you might be right that the acceptances all went to non-SDNers. :( Oh well, good luck wherever you all end up!

MNsocsci said:
Hmm... I don't think she just meant my interview group because I interviewed on one of the last possible days (March 8th) so I think my group would be one of the last to be decided on. I never received a "ranked" email or any post-interview contact--on interview day I was told that they would probably just wait until the final adcom meeting to look at my app. Soooo.... I don't know! I would love for there to be a mistake, but I think you might be right that the acceptances all went to non-SDNers. :( Oh well, good luck wherever you all end up!

Well, you've dashed my last bit of hope- congrats :rolleyes: In any case, there's always the waitlist!

ruglazier said:
p.s. Yulia. you are cute.

thanks ruglazier, ;)

and people, lets not give up hope yet, my prediction is that they pushed the date back again to friday the 31st and they will call either that friday or on monday... once again, good luck. :luck:

hey everyone, don't post often but i just got my will you accept a place on the alternate list email. does anyone know how many people they put on this list?

oldfart1997 said:
hey everyone, don't post often but i just got my will you accept a place on the alternate list email. does anyone know how many people they put on this list?

Me too.

From what we were told on the interview day, they usually designate about 60 alternates, and it's kind of more like a pool than a list. If someone they've accepted declines their spot, the admissions committee looks back at everyone in the alternate pool to select the best person to specifically replace the one who withdrew. They also told us that most of the alternate list movement happens during the month of May.

Congrats Hope2010 and oldfart1997. I'm with you on the list...

another alternate list...

I haven't heard anything from Mayo, no rank, no email about list; and I know my interviews went really well, the professor that interviewed me even said he thought I'd "really fit in here"....... :eek:

I got the alternate list email as well...

Crap, ok; got the alt list email....only one school left that I'm really considering, hope I get in there. :(

Okay, I emailed with some questions in my wait list accept response...Jane says she doesn't know how many will be on the alt list until everyone has sent in responses accepting/withdrawing, and she says they want people to withdraw if they have accepted spots at other schools/anticipate doing so....if I get an accept from Yale I'll probably withdraw too.

jane emailed me back to say there are going to be 113 on the alternate list this year...

oldfart1997 said:
jane emailed me back to say there are going to be 113 on the alternate list this year...

So, the waitlist means almost nothing. Getting in is still like winning the lottery considering they only took 12 off of it last time... This year they interviewed 350 people, though, so maybe I should feel thankful I made the cut to the waitlist...

hmm...

I have yet to recieve word... which could be really good (if they are just waiting until the next meeting to decide that really, there isn't anyone better they have interview yet) or really bad, if they just said hell with the boy, we will see if he gets spot number 113 on the waitlist. Anyone got the big reject yet?

maybe I should feel thankful I made the cut to the waitlist...

Until now, I never knew it was possible to feel thankful and colossally disappointed at the exact same time. Now I do. What a strange emotional combo. Oh well, welcome to limbo. :oops:

I think rejection notices are going out via snailmail, so if no email....sorry :(

Called Cindy right after reading the last post, since I hadn't heard anything via e-mail. She searched the list, and yes, in fact I've been rejected. 22 so far (including not being invited for interviews), no acceptances, 1 hold. At least they are polite at Mayo. Good luck to everyone on the alternate list!

whyworldhateme? said:
I think rejection notices are going out via snailmail, so if no email....sorry :(

yeah no e-mail is a bad sign...unless of course your phone rings with unavailable # on the caller ID...then i'd say you've won the lottery and congrats are in order...waitlist for me...now i've gotta figure out if i want to wait it out or bail and start to get things in order at Iowa

So, from the SDNers who have posted so far... The waitlist is (drumroll please):

Saluki
Lexy10
Hope2010
Whytheworldhateme?
OldFart1997
owenmichael

Adding myself to the alternate list. Just got home and read the email.

Saluki
Lexy10
Hope2010
Whytheworldhateme?
OldFart1997
owenmichael
Yulia
MNsocsci

(Oh and you missed Yulia, so I added her too.)

me too:

Saluki
Lexy10
Hope2010
Whytheworldhateme?
OldFart1997
owenmichael
Yulia
MNsocsci
UltimateEnd

i'll join those of you in limbo...

Saluki
Lexy10
Hope2010
Whytheworldhateme?
OldFart1997
owenmichael
Yulia
MNsocsci
UltimateEnd
snobored18

Well, it's a bummer no SDN'ers were accepted. They don't rank the waitlist at all??? Not even after May 15? That makes things difficult for alot of you. Also, just a reminder that there's only 34 in the class for straight-MD (a few posts above stated 42.) I'm sure the waitlist isn't going to end up being 100+ once applicants deline to be on the waitlist. I wouldn't be surprized if it drops to about 1/2 that. I'm sure a couple of you will hear good things after May 15!!! Good luck to everyone with all their schools.

Right, waitlist is not ranked, so there is no way to have any clue if you get in. They explained it to me as if a female minority engineer from florida dropped thats who they'll look for from the waitlist (to keep their diversity profile). So basically its just wait and pray...

whyworldhateme? said:
Right, waitlist is not ranked, so there is no way to have any clue if you get in. They explained it to me as if a female minority engineer from florida dropped thats who they'll look for from the waitlist (to keep their diversity profile). So basically its just wait and pray...

If there is a white girl from a southern state who grew up below the poverty line and is a humanities major, I think this is the right time to withdraw your acceptance- I'll make it worth your while ;)

whyworldhateme? said:

So really, at this point, it would be the most advantageous to be as generic as possible so that they can plug you into virtually anyone's spot!

Is it too late for me to describe myself as an ageless female and/or male from anywhere/everywhere who represents all ethnicities and/or none of the above, and majored in any/all disciplines? :)