Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want a phone interview so bad. I got an email today from them, and I thought "Aha" but all it said was that they received my August MCAT scores and would review my application in the next six weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances (a sudden death in the family) I'm in Rochester this weekend. With a bit of down time this morning, I wandered around the medical complex for a while and introduced myself in the admissions office.

What a fantastic place! I'd driven around Mayo years ago, but hadn't remembered just what it was like. How outstanding. Jane in the admission office was so friendly and gracious. She answered a few of my quesitons, gave me a tour of the student building, and spoke a bit about new things on the horizon for the medical school.

I had been looking forward to hearing back post-phone interview, but now I really can't wait. 23 days and counting...! :)

I called back home to check in on the mail. My thin envelope from Mayo arrived today.

:luck: Best of luck to the rest of you. I'll have to resign myself to the UofM is great thread... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard people say that Mayo is looking for very specific traits/experiences in the phone interview. Anyone have a clue what those actually are or do the rejections seem completely random?

I think I might have sounded too prepared (based on knowing the questions from the interview feedback forum.)

SailCrazy said:
I think I might have sounded too prepared (based on knowing the questions from the interview feedback forum.)
I'm sorry that you got rejected from Mayo...best of luck in the rest of the application process. :luck: I've got my phone interview this Wednesday, and I am debating how much to prepare for it. Did you actually practice answering all of the questions, or did you just look at them ahead of time and think about what you might say?

SuzieQ3417 said:
I'm sorry that you got rejected from Mayo...best of luck in the rest of the application process. :luck: I've got my phone interview this Wednesday, and I am debating how much to prepare for it. Did you actually practice answering all of the questions, or did you just look at them ahead of time and think about what you might say?

Sailcrazy:

I'm so sorry about Mayo's decision. In the end, you're an outstanding candidate, and it's truly their loss. No one knows what their forumla is for an on-site invitation, but you're going to end up at an awesome medical school!

SuzieQ:

Looking at the questions does pose a unique ethical problem (wouldnt that be an interesting secondary essay). I personally didnt look at the questions, mainly because - ethics aside - I'm at my best when I'm spontaneous.

Others would advise to look at them and just think about ideas. May not even hurt to jot down some thoughts you have into Microsoft Word. But I certainly wouldn't stress about it or overpractice - Mayo seems keen about screening out people that sound "prepared." Just be your own, creative, passionate, and spontaneous self, and you'll do fantastic! PM me if you have any questions.

I'm slated to ship off to Rochester on Halloween. Pretty nervous but equally excited about touring the famed Mayo Clinic!

Thanks SQ,

I'm really pretty ok with it. I had been looking forward to checking out Mayo, but in all honesty I would be comparing all future schools to Michigan to see if I was realistically giving them any consideration. I definitely can't offer 1 complaint about the application process even if I don't speak with another school.

I did discuss the answers a few times and jotted down some notes. (I didn't look at the notes, but I had used them for prep.) I think that if you've thoroughly covered all of the "standard" interview questions you'll be fine. After nailing my interviews at Michigan, in hindsight I wish I'd answered the "Why Mayo" question totally differently. I spoke about some personal experiences, etc and didn't address the curriculum, class size and why that fit with me. That is the only think I would really have changed about my interview. Oh well. There are only 42 people who will end up there. I'm not too surprised.

:luck: Best of luck! It’s a great school.

SuzieQ3417 said:

SuzieQ3417 said:

Hey SuzieQ,

I looked at the questions in advance and jotted down key words I wanted to use and thought of some scenarios and examples that I wanted to mention. I didn't really "script" anything, though. It is a sort of unnatural feeling, but I tried to treat it as if it were a real conversation instead of a tape-recorded performance, and I think that helped.

:luck: :luck: :luck: to you!

SailCrazy, sorry to hear about the thin envelope :( . But, hey, go Blue!!

I think Mayo medical school turns down a lot of great applicants, because they have such a restricted class size. So even though there may be many many qualified candidates that get into other top schools, they are more likely to get rejected from Mayo over another top school first, by virtue of how small the class size is.

That said........Sailcrazy: I agree with Darkside----GO BLUE!!!!!!!! :D :D

:luck: :luck:

Steven Brust! I knew the Mayo applicants were all cool... I like your line from issola, I haven't run across anyone who has read his books in ages. Oh lord, I'm such a geek...... :)

TheDarkSide said:
Hey SuzieQ,

I looked at the questions in advance and jotted down key words I wanted to use and thought of some scenarios and examples that I wanted to mention. I didn't really "script" anything, though. It is a sort of unnatural feeling, but I tried to treat it as if it were a real conversation instead of a tape-recorded performance, and I think that helped.

:luck: :luck: :luck: to you!

SailCrazy, sorry to hear about the thin envelope :( . But, hey, go Blue!!

FictionalGirl said:
Steven Brust! I knew the Mayo applicants were all cool... I like your line from issola, I haven't run across anyone who has read his books in ages. Oh lord, I'm such a geek...... :)

Whoo! A Brust fan! I'm always happy to run into someone who appreciates him... I think he's just phenomenal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three days before the three week mark after my phone intervies. I've gone officially crazy! *AAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH*Why won't they e-mail me? Why? Why? Why? I've developed an unnatural fear of my mailbox! my mailbox! I used to love it so.... (besides the bills). I"m getting carpal tunnel from pressing the refresh button on my e-mail so much *sobs* I think I'm getting an ulcer. Do they usually e-mail interview invites in the morning? or afternoon? I need to cut down on my obsessive refreshing *laughs*

Oh, look at the time, I need to go teach now...... ha....i'm in charge of some impressionable minds! yikes!

:scared: :scared:

FictionalGirl said:
Three days before the three week mark after my phone intervies. I've gone officially crazy! *AAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH*Why won't they e-mail me? Why? Why? Why? I've developed an unnatural fear of my mailbox! my mailbox! I used to love it so.... (besides the bills). I"m getting carpal tunnel from pressing the refresh button on my e-mail so much *sobs* I think I'm getting an ulcer. Do they usually e-mail interview invites in the morning? or afternoon? I need to cut down on my obsessive refreshing *laughs*

Oh, look at the time, I need to go teach now...... ha....i'm in charge of some impressionable minds! yikes!

:scared: :scared:

You're not going crazy. I feel the same way, and I haven't even gotten the phone interview yet...

Just finished the phone interview. :eek: While I was doing it, I was thinking "this isn't so bad." But now that it's over, I am having serious doubts, like maybe I should have answered a question differently, or maybe I could have found a better example to use. Did anyone else have this problem? I felt very inarticulate, but I suppose it probably wasn't as bad as I think. <sigh> Now comes the three agonizing weeks of waiting.

I will end this post with a quote from this past week's "Grey's Anatomy" that I feel sums up my feelings right now toward Mayo:

"Pick me, choose me, love me!" :p

I'm sure it went fine for you. For me, when I was done with the phone interview, I felt that I had over-prepared...we'll see in a couple of weeks...

Does it seem like there's been total silence from Mayo recently? Is anyone else still waiting for a phone interview? Has anyone who took the August MCAT heard anything?

mashce said:
Does it seem like there's been total silence from Mayo recently? Is anyone else still waiting for a phone interview? Has anyone who took the August MCAT heard anything?
Well what were the stats of people who got phone interview? Is it really that high like MSAR numbers, or do they look at all the other factors as well and give them a high importance to get to the phone interview?

Someone posted earlier that they thought the screen for the phone interview was just based on numbers but I don't know...

mashce said:
Someone posted earlier that they thought the screen for the phone interview was just based on numbers but I don't know...
I doubt it. My MCAT is high, and my science GPA is above a 3.7, but my overall is below a 3.4. There area also a number of folks here on SDN with greats stats who didn't get the phone inteview. It can't be just numbers.

SailCrazy said:
I doubt it. My MCAT is high, and my science GPA is above a 3.7, but my overall is below a 3.4. There area also a number of folks here on SDN with greats stats who didn't get the phone inteview. It can't be just numbers.
So, what is it based on? Anyone know?

I just got a request to schedule a phone interview on Oct 25th, so they're still doing that. I scheduled for Nov 22.

mashce said:
So, what is it based on? Anyone know?

the phone interview is based PRIMARILY on numbers
they look at your mcat and gpa
but you also have to hit a cut off for extracurriculars- this is all screened by office staff so it's a pretty dry cut off

you are also in a much better position if you are considered instate- mn, fl, az

dajimmers said:
I just got a request to schedule a phone interview on Oct 25th, so they're still doing that. I scheduled for Nov 22.

Congratulations dajimmers!!! I'm glad they have broken their vow of silence, and maybe the rest of us will hear something soon

sequencer said:
the phone interview is based PRIMARILY on numbers
they look at your mcat and gpa
but you also have to hit a cut off for extracurriculars- this is all screened by office staff so it's a pretty dry cut off

you are also in a much better position if you are considered instate- mn, fl, az

I wish I had put down more extracurriculars on my Amcas now- whoops...

dajimmers said:
Congrats dajimmers! I highly recommend not overpreparing if you choose to look at the questions posted on the interview feedback.

Anyone heard anything in the last few days? I'm still anxiously awaiting the phone interview invite I hope is forthcoming...

ohhhhhh mashce, I hear ya. I had my phone interview 26 days ago! And still no word. But then again No letter is better than the thin letter!!!!!!!!!!
Its probably crunch time for them right now. Sit tight and join me in eating obsessive amounts of ice cream! hehe

mashce said:
Anyone heard anything in the last few days? I'm still anxiously awaiting the phone interview invite I hope is forthcoming...

FictionalGirl said:
ohhhhhh mashce, I hear ya. I had my phone interview 26 days ago! And still no word. But then again No letter is better than the thin letter!!!!!!!!!!
Its probably crunch time for them right now. Sit tight and join me in eating obsessive amounts of ice cream! hehe
26 days? Geez...I did my phone interview last Wednesday and they told me 3 weeks. I don't think I could handle waiting any longer than that. I was told that they had a backlog, so I wouldn't stress too much (like I can talk!). I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us. :luck:

PS I'll definitely join you in dessert goodness...I just ate some cheesecake. Yum!

I had my phone interview back in September and just had my on-site interview on October 28. My stats are 30Q and 4.0 gpa for both science and overall with volunteering and research. I am a Florida resident. Hope this answers your inquiries.

I know Mayo was supposed to be doing their first batch of acceptances at the end of October, has anyone gotten any notification yet?

29 days since my phone interview and still no word from Mayo. No letter is better than a thin letter, this is true, but..... I need an e-mail... need an e-mail... need an e-mail.... can't take the waiting.... this is way longer than three weeks... way longer...*twitch*.... i know its "busy season" but *whimper*..... need e-mail interview invitation now... neeeeeeeeed it. *cries* *drops to my knees* STELLLAAAAA!!!!!!!! :eek: :scared:

FictionalGirl said:
29 days since my phone interview and still no word from Mayo. No letter is better than a thin letter, this is true, but..... I need an e-mail... need an e-mail... need an e-mail.... can't take the waiting.... this is way longer than three weeks... way longer...*twitch*.... i know its "busy season" but *whimper*..... need e-mail interview invitation now... neeeeeeeeed it. *cries* *drops to my knees* STELLLAAAAA!!!!!!!! :eek: :scared:
Did they specifically tell you 3 weeks? Maybe you should call and check on your status....it seems like everyone else on here got a response within 2.5-3 weeks. At least if they're running behind they can give you a timeline of when you might expect news, that way you can maybe relax (or try to) for a few days.

Stella? :-D

Hey SuzieQ ... yeah, I called last last friday and they said that they were running a little behind and hadn't yet reviewed me. They're sending out some acceptances and i guess that has them backlogged, but it is starting to get a little long. The waiting game is killing me slowly. I think i'm being toyed with! Ha. Don't they know I'm fragile? :rolleyes:
*grin* I hope after all this I don't get a thin letter. Something in my brain would probably snap. They'd have to come and take me away ho ho hehe to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time... weaving baskets...
Send me good vibes, friends! :luck:

FictionalGirl said:
Stella? :-D
yeah, that Stella remark cracked me up. :D

If they are taking this long to get back to you, I can only imagine how rough it will be for me in the next month. I think our generation has just been trained to have information immediately at our fingertips. You know...news broadcasting things live around the world, the internet (I can't even imagine what it would be like to go back to dial-up at this point). We don't know how to handle waiting. Anyway, I'll keep those good vibes going for you. :thumbup:

hi suzie and fictionalgirl!

i just interviewed recently too, so I guess im kinda in the same boat as you two. mayo has now rocketed to pretty much my top choice so i completley understand both of you and your anxiety... anyway just wanted to say hi, and wish you two the best of luck. maybe we will all be classmates next year :cool:

p.s. i guess my anxiety largley comes from what i feel was a subpar interview.. i stuttered alot, and im not sure sure i sold them as to why mayo was perfect for me... anyway, again best of luck to you two.

did you phone interview? or on site? And i'm for that... all of us in the same mayo class next year. Huzzah :) Will stella be there? she didn't answer my screams.

On a non-interview related note meant to distract us all, I'm going to ask a question my roommate just called to tell me was asked to her by an interviewer at Temple. She's irritated because she thinks that she answered badly and it has nothing to do with how good a doctor she'll be.

If you could be any animal, what could you be? (because this applies to how good a doctor you'll be)
She said: Bird (maybe she's worried he'll think she's flighty.. hehe)
I say: Giant Squid

bsteves4 said:
hi suzie and fictionalgirl!

i just interviewed recently too, so I guess im kinda in the same boat as you two. mayo has now rocketed to pretty much my top choice so i completley understand both of you and your anxiety... anyway just wanted to say hi, and wish you two the best of luck. maybe we will all be classmates next year :cool:

p.s. i guess my anxiety largley comes from what i feel was a subpar interview.. i stuttered alot, and im not sure sure i sold them as to why mayo was perfect for me... anyway, again best of luck to you two.
:p :p

Giant squid, eh? Any particular reason why that is your choice? :p Hmmm...I would probably pick a dog. Why, you might ask? No reason, other than that I have always loved dogs. I suppose the part where they are man's best friend doesn't hurt...you lay around all day sleeping and eating, and then you get all of this attention thrown at you when your owner comes home. Does this have anything to do with being a good doctor? You tell me. lol

I like calamari, and since i'm giant i could nibble on myself with very little repercussions? No. just kidding. I picked giant squid because I LOVE the ocean and i've always always always wanted to go deeper than people can SCUBA and see whats down there! all the animals, or the ideas of the animals there just fascinate me...... i've heard giant squid get to swim that deep. Plus haven't you ever wanted to ink someone? haven't you? you KNOW you have!!!!!

SuzieQ3417 said:
Giant squid, eh? Any particular reason why that is your choice? :p Hmmm...I would probably pick a dog. Why, you might ask? No reason, other than that I have always loved dogs. I suppose the part where they are man's best friend doesn't hurt...you lay around all day sleeping and eating, and then you get all of this attention thrown at you when your owner comes home. Does this have anything to do with being a good doctor? You tell me. lol
:laugh: :laugh:

Survivors log: The eve before day 30. Have been sitting on this island for almost a month now. Have befriended the natives. My small shelter made of status pages from medical school websites has been fortified by melting down all my summer undergraduate research ID's and gluing the pages together. The shelter is withstanding rain. heat. wind. I fear I may be here for a long time. I have only one flare left and a mailbox, which I check daily. The natives are getting restless. A few have been voted off the island. My mailbox ... both online and on the island are both still empty. No news is good news, when it comes to mayo in the mailbox. I have just sent up my last flare. And so I wait........ will I be rescued tomorrow?

Survivors log: Ten minutes after the eve before day 30. Has anyone seen stella? She's somewhere here on the island. I just know it. She has information about Mayo. Stella?

FictionalGirl said:
I like calamari, and since i'm giant i could nibble on myself with very little repercussions? No. just kidding. I picked giant squid because I LOVE the ocean and i've always always always wanted to go deeper than people can SCUBA and see whats down there! all the animals, or the ideas of the animals there just fascinate me...... i've heard giant squid get to swim that deep. Plus haven't you ever wanted to ink someone? haven't you? you KNOW you have!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

FictionalGirl said:
Survivors log: The eve before day 30. Have been sitting on this island for almost a month now. Have befriended the natives. My small shelter made of status pages from medical school websites has been fortified by melting down all my summer undergraduate research ID's and gluing the pages together. The shelter is withstanding rain. heat. wind. I fear I may be here for a long time. I have only one flare left and a mailbox, which I check daily. The natives are getting restless. A few have been voted off the island. My mailbox ... both online and on the island are both still empty. No news is good news, when it comes to mayo in the mailbox. I have just sent up my last flare. And so I wait........ will I be rescued tomorrow?

Survivors log: Ten minutes after the eve before day 30. Has anyone seen stella? She's somewhere here on the island. I just know it. She has information about Mayo. Stella?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OMG this cracked me up. You are truly living up to your name. At least you can make light of the situation...that has to make for a happier pre-med and application process.

I received a rejection letter from Mayo yesterday. Was bummed, but somewhat expected. Hey though, I have unique qualifications though according to the letter.

SOUNDMAN said:
I received a rejection letter from Mayo yesterday. Was bummed, but somewhat expected. Hey though, I have unique qualifications though according to the letter.

Soundman, was this post-phone interview or post-on site interview? Also, when was your phone interview ? thanks

a post phone rejection letter??? is that what you got? does that mean that they sent out already the happy congratulations you got an interview e-mails and that now all i have to do is go home today and there will be a thin letter in my mailbox, because I certainly do not have any happy warm fuzzy e-mails waiting for me right now...
Day 31... Log: ...*paces around isolated island*.... *gets caught in bear trap* ..... *damn*.... *chews through own leg* *sutures own wounds* *chewed through wrong leg* *damn again!* *fear*

SOUNDMAN said:
:scared:

Fictional girl, I wish I could make my plight as humorous as you manage to make yours sound. One of my professors made a comment to me (not even that critical), and I started sobbing. If they don't email me soon, I'm going to convince everyone I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown...

Oh, but masche, it IS funny. Look at us! We spent the last (however many ) years working our poor little butts off just to involve ourselves in a process that stripts us of all our dignity, emotional self control, and ability to stave off panic attacks. In addition, for me, my school sent all my letters out a month late. I had to go to a hypnotist to try to calm down my fear of flying so i could go to an interview back east where the interviewers were mean to me. All I want is for Mayo to let me come out in person (i will buy those plane tickets myself) and make my case and even that is taking so long its giving me palpitations.

SO YOU SEE IT HAS TO BE FUNNY OR WE'LL LOOSE OUR MINDS!

... and lets be honest some of our experiences are just so darn sad, as to be funny :) I have a few good ones, wecan start Mayo thread story time, unless I get a thin letter, in which case I'll have to stop joking and start crying

*grin* see, humor in the sadness.... thats why sad clowns are so damn popular.... oh, wait, they're only popular in steven king movies... when they go crazy and kill entire populations of small towns only to join some unsuspecting travellingcircus..... maybe i shoudl stop kidding, so as not to attract the clowns... the evil, murderous clowns..... oh hey! somethings knocking at my door, lets see what it is......... *

mashce said:
Fictional girl, I wish I could make my plight as humorous as you manage to make yours sound. One of my professors made a comment to me (not even that critical), and I started sobbing. If they don't email me soon, I'm going to convince everyone I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown...
:laugh:

Day 1,356.9 ..... Just checked the mailbox. No thin letter.(yay!) No e-mail either.(boo)

Day 1,357. Burns non-science related textbooks in huge bonfire. Dances naked but covered in iodine war-paint. Sacrificial Goat slaughtered. Still, I wait.

FictionalGirl,

I recieved an on-site interview request today via email and my phone interview was on Oct 17th. Here's hoping that you too get an e-mail in your inbox from mms! Cheers! :thumbup:

I just checked my email for the fiftieth time today (not separate logins, mainly just refreshing ten times in a row, foolishly hoping that the next click will be the charm)

BTW- I hate clowns!!!!