Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just had my Mayo phone interview today. I'm feeling way behind the game compared to you guys. Pretty please.....can I too join the waiting club? :)

Members don't see this ad.

really? i interviewed 2 weeks before you.... I wonder if something's wrong
has anyone else heard back? do they tell everyone on the same day? its possible i just lost out on an interview and will get a letter. anyone else hear on a different day who interviewed in october?

shlom_yup said:
FictionalGirl,

I recieved an on-site interview request today via email and my phone interview was on Oct 17th. Here's hoping that you too get an e-mail in your inbox from mms! Cheers! :thumbup:

Ashanti Rock said:
Just had my Mayo phone interview today. I'm feeling way behind the game compared to you guys. Pretty please.....can I too join the waiting club? :)

I'm even further behind. Mayo, where is my phone interview? Would it help if I sold my soul to Satan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashanti Rock said:
At least you're still in the game! :thumbup:

Okay, I need some advice. So its the 4th of November and I officially interviewed 31 days ago over the phone. I called last tuesday (not of this week, but the week before) when I found out my e-mail wasn't working to ask if anything had been sent. They told me they were backed up and i hadn't been reviewed yet. My e-mail is all fixed and happy but I haven't heard anything back. However, now I hear this one person (hi) has an interview invite after intervieweing on 10/17. I"m very confused. I haven't gotten a thin letter, either. Not yet, at least. So , do I call today and ask whats going on to make sure everything is allright? My file was complete right after the phone interview, they have all my numbers, scores and letters. Has ANYONE WHO PHONE INTERVIEWED IN OCTOBER HEARD ANYTHING BACK, IF SO WHAT, IT WOULD HELP ME SO MUCH! Thank you

It'll help me decide if I should call and see whats up. I don't want to be a pest.

Thanks, everybody :scared:

Fictional girl,
If it's been a couple weeks since you last called; I'd go ahead and call again. I doubt they'd be annoyed...

Ashanti Rock said:
Welcome to the club! You're not far behind...I just had my interview a little over a week ago. We all seem fairly spread out in this waiting game.

Fictional girl, I would call. It seems strange that someone who had an interview after you already has a response. I was under the impression that they went through them on a first-come, first-served basis (could be wrong). I don't think it would be a big deal to call and at least ask when you can expect to hear from them. :luck:

FictionalGirl, I also think there's no harm in you calling them. Jane and Cindy are so super nice that I can't imagine they would mind checking for you... it does seem like you've been waiting an awfully long time.

Best wishes! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Call them.

Trust me, they won't care and they are happy to help in any way possible.

Okay, so I'm told that i'm currently under review and I should find out next week. I don't know why my application was put on hold, as everything was completed on october 3rd, but it's okay as long as i get an e-mail!!!! I was so scared calling that they'd say , oh, yeah, we sent a rejection in the mail.
I'm so nervous! I just want an on site interview SO BADLY! But everyone was right Cindy WAS super-nice. That being said

Survivors Log : Day 3,456,786.9 Still here on the island. Thought I saw a boat circling overnight, but it must have been an illusion of the moon on the water. Perhaps a heron disturbed the quiet waves, or a wandering fish bubbled too close to the surface. Either way, I created a flare out of dry brush and used my glasses to create a fire (yes, from moonlight, they're a VERY strong prescription) Perhaps it was not a dream, I will let you know if the boat circles again next week. Maybe it will let me hop on board. Or, heaven forbid, it will plow right over me as I swim out to it!.YIKE!

Side Note: I need a hug. I'm like one big 'ol exposed nerve. :-D :scared: :luck:

FictionalGirl said:
Side Note: I need a hug. I'm like one big 'ol exposed nerve. :-D :scared: :luck:

<<<hug>>>

I'm rooting for you!

Unfortunately, getting the interview is only a brief reprieve from the stress and the suffering.... I'm figuring that since I didn't get a call this week I am not in the first batch of appointees and will have to start hoping to hear from them in December. :scared: :scared:

TheDarkSide said:
<<<hug>>>

I'm rooting for you!

<<group hug>>

Lol...seriously...everyone on this thread is awesome. I guess that says something about the type of applicant Mayo attracts. You all are so supportive and upbeat...I love it.

SuzieQ3417 said:
<<group hug>>

Lol...seriously...everyone on this thread is awesome. I guess that says something about the type of applicant Mayo attracts. You all are so supportive and upbeat...I love it.

I agree, we're awesome! :laugh:

Everyone I met at Mayo was great. So nice, so helpful, so warm... I think I would be really happy there if they let me in. And even happier if I got to go with you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we should all just fly down to Minnessota together and show up at the dean of admissions office doorstep. Perhaps, being so impressed by our initiative and willingness to already work well in a team, she will accept us all on the spot. Yes, indeed. That is how it will go. That is how it will go.

*slips into happy little delusion*

THANKS YOU GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT! Man, do I appreciate it. My roommate tries to ply me with alcohol to calm my nerves, but since I'm not much of a drinker this is a way better avenue. Plus, after watching her drunk 'n' dial a med school answering machine to inquire about her application status ... and slur and cry... I don't think that booze and crazed applicants mix.

:scared:

Oh, and On a side note..

Q: What did the lady pig say to her blind date after he spent the whole night talking about his stamp collection
A: My goodness, you're such a boar!

FictionalGirl said:
Maybe we should all just fly down to Minnessota together and show up at the dean of admissions office doorstep. Perhaps, being so impressed by our initiative and willingness to already work well in a team, she will accept us all on the spot. Yes, indeed. That is how it will go. That is how it will go.

*slips into happy little delusion*

THANKS YOU GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT! Man, do I appreciate it. My roommate tries to ply me with alcohol to calm my nerves, but since I'm not much of a drinker this is a way better avenue. Plus, after watching her drunk 'n' dial a med school answering machine to inquire about her application status ... and slur and cry... I don't think that booze and crazed applicants mix.

:scared:

Oh, and On a side note..

Q: What did the lady pig say to her blind date after he spent the whole night talking about his stamp collection
A: My goodness, you're such a boar!

haha
thank you fictionalgirl for helping me see the humor in this horrible process
yall sound like a great group of people to spend 4 years with :)

phone interview in less than 4 days.. :rolleyes:

for those who have interviewed on the phone, is there a lot of pressure to keep your answers short but sound unprepared at the same time? I plan on looking over the questions for a couple hours two days before (have a couple of exams to study for this weekend) and just having an idea of what I want to say. Which questions do you feel really defined if Mayo was to offer you an on-site interview?

wowzer said:

for those who have interviewed on the phone, is there a lot of pressure to keep your answers short but sound unprepared at the same time? I plan on looking over the questions for a couple hours two days before (have a couple of exams to study for this weekend) and just having an idea of what I want to say. Which questions do you feel really defined if Mayo was to offer you an on-site interview?

I didn't really feel any time pressure. I had the list of questions and I jotted down keywords to remember things I wanted to say without sounding overprepared. The most important question to make sure you nail, in my opinion, is why you want to go to Mayo. (Caveat: they give you essentially no feedback when you're answering the questions, so I really have no idea what it was that I said that led them to offer me the on-site.)

Best of luck to you! :luck: :luck:

FictionalGirl said:

That sounds great! I'll bring snacks! Who likes watermelon flavored twizzlers?

mashce said:
That sounds great! I'll bring snacks! Who likes watermelon flavored twizzlers?

to those of you planning your trip :oops: :
It never hurts to write out a well thought out letter to the dean of admissions outlining specifically your reasons for wanting to attend Mayo. Mayo loves the assertive type and one that can illustrate their reasons for wanting to go to Mayo in a well written letter.

Just and idea that has worked in the past

wowzer said:

Some of the questions you are supposed to just respond "yes" or "no" and then they may ask you a second question to elaborate or give an example. I found this difficult, because in other interview settings where you are asked a yes/no question you answer it and elaborate on your own (otherwise you may come off as unfriendly or unable to back up your answers). I really recommend not rehearsing too much. They read some statement to me that I had to agree not to simply read essays to them, so I don't think they are looking for anything too formal. Just something to keep in mind. It's seemed fairly laid back.

sequencer said:
to those of you planning your trip :oops: :
It never hurts to write out a well thought out letter to the dean of admissions outlining specifically your reasons for wanting to attend Mayo. Mayo loves the assertive type and one that can illustrate their reasons for wanting to go to Mayo in a well written letter.

Just and idea that has worked in the past
Have people done that before they got the phone secondary, before they got the regular interview or after they got waitlisted?

mashce said:
Have people done that before they got the phone secondary, before they got the regular interview or after they got waitlisted?

all three

I suppose I should try then, but it seems kind of frightening....

hi sequencer,

you have me also thinking about writitng one of these letters. im just worried about coming across as desparate to the dean. would you recommend doing this now in my case.. i interviewed (phone) a little over two weeks ago..

thanks!!

ps is this a letter you can write to a school that has not invited you to interview yet? i dont know how to word this really

bsteves4 said:
hi sequencer,

you have me also thinking about writitng one of these letters. im just worried about coming across as desparate to the dean. would you recommend doing this now in my case.. i interviewed (phone) a little over two weeks ago..

thanks!!

ps is this a letter you can write to a school that has not invited you to interview yet? i dont know how to word this really

i'm talking about a letter that reiterates your specific interest in mayo- it would work in any situation when you think that your application might need a little boost. just write the letter talking about the specific reasons you are interested in the school AND the specific reasons you think you would fit in well and it would be a good fit for you

i wrote one to a school that hadn't invited me yet and i got an invite very soon after- i also wrote it after an interview and got an accept

this is just a letter that is well written and thought out that doesn't inlude anything like please accept me. my started with- i would like to indicate my continued strong interest in your school. then i got more specific

it really can't hurt you as long as it is well written

OK, I was looking on the website at the student profile and I'm basically just like "Ben." My family owns a rice and soybean farm, and I can't dance at all. So, if that's what they're looking for, I'm in...
I hope soon "the only corn (substitute rice here) and soybean fields I'll see are the ones surrounding the city where I'm studying medicine"

bstev4, I tend to think that it was a coincidence that you sent a letter and then got an interview. With all the mail they have, and with all the time it takes to become complete, it's very unlikely that they would have read the letter so quickly filed it with your things and then choose to give you an interview within a week. Plus, mayo is pretty good (usually, hehe, except for me!) at getting back within specific timelines.

I've been told these letters can be detrimental, from med. advisors
but then i hear all these people on SDN doing them and swearing by them, but what I want to know, is where did people hear about doing these things? I can understand being proactive, but i wonder if this is a construct of the application procedure made up by pre-meds, or something part of the process not mentioned anywhere else.

Anyone have any anecdotal "proof" these things actually do anything but throw more mail on the pile? :confused:

i sent update letters to my schools via email and got interviews from cornell, case, and nyu on the same day i sent it. i don't know i fthat means anything though.

What do you mean update letter? What did you put in it?

Versus a letter of intent. Do you just tell them what you've been doing, or what? hrm. I guess i'm just confused as to what everyone's talking about

have you heard anything yet fictional girl?

Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. Theres only 1 hour left in today's business hours and I get my mail at around 5 as well... so hopefully that thin letter won't be in there, if it isn't i'll wait as long as they want, providing that e-mail comes :) They said i'm in review last friday so i should hear back soon.... *presses the refresh button on gmail... nope, nada...*

Thanks for checking up on me :) I promise I'll post as soon as I find out. The good vibes are helping me, i appreciate them! :love:

Your message folder is full, so i can't talk to you anymore :( they send my messages back. The automated message told me that you should delete some old ones so you can talk to me and continue to distract me from my e-mail. hehe.

Everyone here should start a chat room. :) Who has aim sn's? :)

Survivors log # 4,567.9889

Hello! It's me. I dreamt last night that I got an acceptance from Mayo. So here's hoping I"m psychic! I'm actually going to be going to be talking to a guy from a Mayo lab on the phone tomorrow, he's doing some research on bio sensors and our lab is doing some research sharing with him. I get to make the phone call to talk about new data. I'm hoping i'll be able to contain myself and not say things like this...
me: "So we're found that when the GGBP is inserted into the YFP, the protein fluorescence is affected only by sugar concentrations greater than.... "
him: hello?
me: I love you.
him: what?
me: You work for Mayo. I love you. Know anyone on the admissions committe? Tell them I love them too. True love.
him: I'm not sure I understand
me: STELLA!!!!!!!!!

*Grin* I think I can contain myself. Waiting on a decision and still hopeful!!! Keep sending me those good vibes, they're staving off a thin letter.
:luck:

FictionalGirl said:
me: "So we're found that when the GGBP is inserted into the YFP, the protein fluorescence is affected only by sugar concentrations greater than.... "
me: You work for Mayo. I love you. Know anyone on the admissions committe? Tell them I love them too. True love.

*Grin* I think I can contain myself. Waiting on a decision and still hopeful!!! Keep sending me those good vibes, they're staving off a thin letter.
:laugh: Thanks...I needed that. I just started and finished a paper for one of my classes that is due tomorrow (only four pages, not too bad...I swear I don't usually procrastinate this bad) and my brain is exhausted...so I definitely could use a good laugh. If there is one thing that takes the stress off of waiting to hear from med schools it is the stress of trying to keep up in classes while applying to med school :eek: I was actually having a good day today, and started to think that I might have a relatively good shot at getting an on-site interview at Mayo even though my phone interview wasn't so hot. Then I get home and check my email, only to find out I have been put on hold by a school. I know it shouldn't bother me, because I already feel like I have a ridiculous amount of interviews so early in the game, but I was getting so used to seeing good news in my email box that it was disappointing to read something to the contrary. <sigh> I think I am just rambling now...I probably ought to get some sleep since I have to be up early tomorrow morning. I'll be sending you some good vibes ("those are not spirit fingers...THESE are spirit fingers") Lol...OMG I am quoting Bring It On...must...get....some sleep....

FictionalGirl said:
Survivors log # 4,567.9889

Hello! It's me. I dreamt last night that I got an acceptance from Mayo. So here's hoping I"m psychic! I'm actually going to be going to be talking to a guy from a Mayo lab on the phone tomorrow, he's doing some research on bio sensors and our lab is doing some research sharing with him. I get to make the phone call to talk about new data. I'm hoping i'll be able to contain myself and not say things like this...

Heh. If we all get in, "STELLA!!!!!!!" is so going to be the class motto.

fictionalgirl...
im rooting for you, i feel the e-mail (not snail mail) coming your way any time now.. im so suprised you havent heard yet, hasnt it been over a month? i dont see why you havent heard, while there was someone else here that interviewd much later (oct 17th i think they said) that heard... anyway, best of luck!!!

suzieq... if there is one thing ive learned so far in this whole process, its to never base your chances at one school on your results from another school. i know its hard, cause you feel "man if school A did this, of course school B will do this..." i know a kid that is a 2nd year now, who was rejected by just about every "top 50" school (wake, vcu, gtown among others) but got into vanderbilt and (ended up going to unc, his state school). anyway dont let one "on hold" make you think you wont get in every where else you applied cause you probably will!!!

best of luck to you all... im still waiting for my e-mail/trying to fend off that snail mail letter too!!!

This waiting thing is horrible!!!! It's almost been a week since my , the good thing is that I haven't thought too much about it...hopefully the next two weeks will go as smoothly. Love your log Fictional Girl!

This waiting thing is horrible!!!! It's almost been a week since my phone interview, the good thing is that I haven't thought too much about it...hopefully the next two weeks will go by as fast. Love your log Fictional Girl!

*smiles* Patience, I've been waiting over a month now. You'll give yourself an ulcer if you press the refresh button every ten seconds (i only do it ever twenty. see? thats laid back...) May I suggest taking up a hobby? Macrame, Theatre, Reading streetcar named desire over and over and over....

Hehe, STELLA!!!!!!! would be a great motto. Now we all have to get in just because we'll have the best class joke.

Hmmmm.... I need to go write a funny essay for my creative writing class. I'm all out of material. Whats funny to people not applying to med school? I really have no idea! *yike!*

Still no word, by the way. *cries from fear* :luck:

The weeks are slowly passing, and still no word for little me on whether I'm even going to make the phone interview cut... But I haven't seen any August MCATers post one, so it's not just me (or at least that's what I tell myself) Today I managed to make it all the way to noon without checking my email. I thought maybe it was like "a watched pot never boils" and if I just stopped looking so often it would come. Did not work.... Don't know what to do now...

mashce said:
The weeks are slowly passing, and still no word for little me on whether I'm even going to make the phone interview cut... But I haven't seen any August MCATers post one, so it's not just me (or at least that's what I tell myself) Today I managed to make it all the way to noon without checking my email. I thought maybe it was like "a watched pot never boils" and if I just stopped looking so often it would come. Did not work.... Don't know what to do now...

I have a recommendation for you. Relax cos there really isnt much you can do about this admission stuff. I also an august MCAT taker. No interviews yet but honey, i am not going to run crazy bcos of that. TAke it easy and see what happens.

had my phone interview with Ms. Satre yesterday. really laid back, I think I did well but we'll see what happens...

just had my interview....AHHHHHHH~?

she told me they 250 people are invited for the on-site interview out of like 650.

said i would hear back from them in 3 weeks. positive results by email by 3 weeks. negative result by postal mail >3 weeks.

Fictional Girl, I have also been waiting over a month since my phone interview. I am afraid to call because I'm sure it must be bad news. I hate my mailbox...

ANOTHER ONE! YAHOO!! hehe. I mean... oh, sorry about the wait. But,,, um,,, it is nice to know i'm not alone. i'm sure we'll both hear back soon. And hopefully not in the snail mail! Good luck! How else have things been going for you otherwise?

ALSO: I had that talk this morning with the Mayo fellow from the lab over the phone and I was able to make it through the conversation without
A) telling him i'm applying to med school at mayo
b)telling him I love him
c) telling him to tell the adcom's I love them
d) screamng STELLA!!!!! into the phone.

StrssdOut said:
Fictional Girl, I have also been waiting over a month since my phone interview. I am afraid to call because I'm sure it must be bad news. I hate my mailbox...
:scared: :scared:

mdung said:
just had my interview....AHHHHHHH~?

she told me they 250 people are invited for the on-site interview out of like 650.

said i would hear back from them in 3 weeks. positive results by email by 3 weeks. negative result by postal mail >3 weeks.

650?????? wow, the number must have shot up from last year, cause it was 350 or so then

wowzer said:
650?????? wow, the number must have shot up from last year, cause it was 350 or so then

I thought it was around 350 too! Did Jane give you that number????!!!