Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I interviewed at Mayo in Oct. and Jane did say there would be about 650 phone interviews, I think they were expecting more applicants this year (like over 3000???? I don't exactly remember)

Anyways, i have been watching this thread, good luck to you all :luck: :luck: I hope you get emails very soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry if you don't hear back in three weeks. I spoke with someone who told me that, due to backups, I was just being reviewed during what was the end of my week three. Nothing is easily designated into clear cut dates, you'll go crazy if you think that at the end of day 21 your fate is sealed! Take deep breaths. I too, heard only 350 people get phone interviews, but i was also told that interviews were packed tightly this year, so perhaps its possible that there are 650. Heres hoping to hear back in e-mail today for those of us waiting. Good luck and find a hobby! hehe... SDN is not a hobby! I NEED a hobby apparently! :laugh:

*stella*

Thin letter: Nov 9th 3:30 pm. No jokes today everybody, nothing funny about it.

p.s. Sorry,
"Stella!" is coming with me as a class motto, if I get in anywhere, which isn't looking good at this point. I'm done checkin' this thread since I'm not a complete masochist, so if anyone still wants to chat, I'll be around and taking PM's and maybe on a thread or two.

Bye Bye +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
FictionalGirl said:

p.s. Sorry,
"Stella!" is coming with me as a class motto, if I get in anywhere, which isn't looking good at this point. I'm done checkin' this thread since I'm not a complete masochist, so if anyone still wants to chat, I'll be around and taking PM's and maybe on a thread or two.

Bye Bye +pity+

Me too! What a bummer. I could use STELLA right now....

im sorry guys...

i guess i'll be joining you in a few days if what that other person said was correct:

<21 days = good news via e-mail
>21 days = bad news via snail mail

my interview was 22 days ago i think :(

bsteves4 said:
im sorry guys...

i guess i'll be joining you in a few days if what that other person said was correct:

<21 days = good news via e-mail
>21 days = bad news via snail mail

my interview was 22 days ago i think :(

Chin up! It took my over a full month to get anything via snail mail and they were still looking at my file when three weeks had come and gone. There's still hope! ;)

it took 23 days for me to be invited to do an onsite interview...i nearly went insane those last two days, but alas I was invited...so keep the head up!

FictionalGirl said:

p.s. Sorry,

Bye Bye +pity+
Fict & Stressed - sorry to hear your news. Remember Mayo is the most slective school in the country. You can't take it personally or feel too badly. I'm sure you're going to have a lot of success.

All the best in the future! :luck:

Besides - now you're in the distinguished company of some fellow Mayo rejects! ;) :thumbup:

no word on day 24, so now im officially fearing/expecting the worst

Has anyone been accepted post-interview? I haven't even received an email saying I was reviewed and ranked (interviewed onsite middle of october.) Should I send them an update letter (I didn't get a chance to update anything in my app since amcas...) If only Mayo knew how much they are affecting each waking minute of our lives...

chandelantern said:
Has anyone been accepted post-interview? I haven't even received an email saying I was reviewed and ranked (interviewed onsite middle of october.) Should I send them an update letter (I didn't get a chance to update anything in my app since amcas...) If only Mayo knew how much they are affecting each waking minute of our lives...

I had my onsite interview in late Oct. and I haven't heard anything yet either...I do know that they have met and some earlier interviewers have been ranked. I think Jane said they only met once a month so I guess we are looking at early Dec?? All this waiting is driving me nuts!! Although I don't know if it will be any better after I get ranked because I still won't know what I am ranked :p

good luck everyone :luck: :luck:

Besides - now you're in the distinguished company of some fellow Mayo rejects! ;) :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

A good place to be! At least the stress of wondering is over. I was so hung up on it, it made it hard to concentrate on the important fact: I want to be a doctor...and one acceptance is all it takes to be one. Mayo or not, MD here I come!

But good luck to everyone else! When you get in, let me know what it's like!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

just to keep you guys updated, they have started sending out acceptances.

don't worry about it though, it does take a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
monday marks the one-month anniversary of my phone interview.. and still no word

im guessing that means a rejection

epalantequevoy said:
just to keep you guys updated, they have started sending out acceptances.

don't worry about it though, it does take a while.

Acceptances? :( I know that I'm not going to get one of those...but miracles do happen. I still haven't been sent an email saying I was reviewed/ranked and it's been a month since my interview...should I call them? Send an update? Beg?

chandelantern said:
Acceptances? :( I know that I'm not going to get one of those...but miracles do happen. I still haven't been sent an email saying I was reviewed/ranked and it's been a month since my interview...should I call them? Send an update? Beg?

i'm waiting for that same email...rank/hold...unfortunatly of all my interviews that one went the worst...i don't know i did fine on the first one...then talked to the rest of the people who i was interviewing with and was like...what am i doing here??...and well got a little nervous on my second interview...sad...but i'd be happy to be ranked...

BUT, I think i remember Jane mentioning the committee only meets once a month (at the end of the month) to make decisions..accept, rank, hold...She also said to call her if you get anxious...she was kinda funny about it...she really understands that this is hard on all of us, so if you are getting nervous, call her...and let me know what she said!

Lexy10 and chandelantern,

I am also waiting for the same email! It has only been about 3 weeks since my interview but it feels like a lifetime and I also don't feel like my interviews at Mayo went that well. All of my others so far have been so laid back and conversational and at Mayo they were kind of reserved and they asked some strange questions. Here's to hoping we hear something soon!! :luck: :luck:

Hey fellow Mayo hopefuls,

Thanks for sharing about your interview experiences. I also think that my Mayo interview was shaky compared to my others -- considering that so many of us feel this way, maybe that's just par for the course for Mayo!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

2.5 weeks until the beginning of December and possibly more news!

TheDarkSide said:
Hey fellow Mayo hopefuls,

Thanks for sharing about your interview experiences. I also think that my Mayo interview was shaky compared to my others -- considering that so many of us feel this way, maybe that's just par for the course for Mayo!

I agree!! All of the interviewees with me (there were 4 of us) felt the same way. Some of the interviews were short and just kind of hard to read. So I think it sounds like they feel that way for everyone.

:luck: :luck: some extra luck for the mayo thread

So, based on the advice of this and other threads, and with much encouragement from my husband, I wrote Mayo a letter expressing my strong interest in their school. :eek: I figure at this point it couldn't hurt (I should hear back this week or next week with results from my phone interview)...this way if I am rejected at least I can be satisfied with myself for doing everything within my power to let them know how much I love the school. Did anyone else write a letter or will I be the only weirdo to take it to this level? :)

SuzieQ3417 said:
So, based on the advice of this and other threads, and with much encouragement from my husband, I wrote Mayo a letter expressing my strong interest in their school. :eek: I figure at this point it couldn't hurt (I should hear back this week or next week with results from my phone interview)...this way if I am rejected at least I can be satisfied with myself for doing everything within my power to let them know how much I love the school. Did anyone else write a letter or will I be the only weirdo to take it to this level? :)

hahaha... i did the exact same thing suze... i wrote a letter with the exact thinking that if i got a rejection it wouldnt because i showed a lack of genuine interest in mayo. cheers!

I am so glad I'm not the only one that feels bad about how the mayo interviews went! My interviewer's were nice, but I've been on 8 or so other interviews and they all went SO MUCH smoother! Very conversational, comfortable, long, etc. I didn't leave my Mayo interview feeling like they knew enough about me to be able to accept me (especially since so few get accepted!) A couple people I talked to (advisors, etc) suggested I didn't really want to go to that school if i got a bad vibe, but they SO don't know how bad I would love to be there! I kind of almost wish the interviews were not the first thing in the morning so I could have gotten a better taste of the school environment because it was so different from all the other places I have been. Oh well...still considering writing that letter and/or calling Jane or cindy...but must get through the next couple days of midterms first!

SuzieQ3417 said:

not a weirdo..i was going to do the same thing...have been contimplating it infact...what did you write... i can't decide where the line is between...PLEASE ACCEPT ME cause i'm like stalking your school...and your school is amazing and i'd love to be a part of it, so accept me...

lexy10 said:
not a weirdo..i was going to do the same thing...have been contimplating it infact...what did you write... i can't decide where the line is between...PLEASE ACCEPT ME cause i'm like stalking your school...and your school is amazing and i'd love to be a part of it, so accept me...
It wasn't very long, but I just wanted to make sure they know how amazing I think their school is.

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone had heard from Mayo recently...post-phone interview....like in that last couple of weeks. It has been two weeks since mine and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat?

hi ashanti...
its been 4 weeks and three days since my phone interview and i've heard nothing. someone said that basically it goes

<21 days.. good news by e-mail
>21 days. bad news snail mail

ive gotten to the point where im expecting a rejection, based on this

my advice is to not think about it... i started getting nervous about hearing almost two weeks ago, and im still waiting...
best of luck!!!!

3 weeks to the day for me. I was actually doing really well waiting patiently. I figured there was no point in worrying for at least a few weeks, since they seem to take at least 3 weeks to get back to people at this point. Here's hoping we all get good news!

Here's to hoping that Mayo gives us more news to be thankful about this Thanksgiving! :)

bsteves4 said:
hi ashanti...
its been 4 weeks and three days since my phone interview and i've heard nothing. someone said that basically it goes

<21 days.. good news by e-mail
>21 days. bad news snail mail

ive gotten to the point where im expecting a rejection, based on this

my advice is to not think about it... i started getting nervous about hearing almost two weeks ago, and im still waiting...
best of luck!!!!

hey guys-

The equation above is simply not true: I know so many people (including myself) who received their email invite after almost 4 weeks post phone-interview.
Mayo is uber selective - and the means in which they choose students is quite arbitrary. My advice: chill out, stop checking this thread every 2 seconds, stop refreshing your email every second, and hope for the best. My advice may sound harsh, but getting too attached to any one medical school - especially given how entirely random this process is - just isn't healthy! You guys are all outstanding, qualified applicants; don't let the waiting game wear down your nerves!

thanks meso..!! thats just what i needed to hear

OK, I called Mayo back at the end of October, and they told me that the earliest the August MCATers would hear back was the end of November, but apparently Kimka has already gotten one. Have the rest of us been passed over or is that just the beginning? Do they go in order of submission date or do they filter out the high score ones and look at those first? :scared:

mashce said:
OK, I called Mayo back at the end of October, and they told me that the earliest the August MCATers would hear back was the end of November, but apparently Kimka has already gotten one. Have the rest of us been passed over or is that just the beginning? Do they go in order of submission date or do they filter out the high score ones and look at those first? :scared:

Well I'm sure that wasn't an exact time. They probably meant on or around some time in November.

But there's also to take into account the numbers and other stats. Kimka's got extremely high stats and honors and research etc.

Remember that even the best of them don't always get in Mayo due to the lack of available acceptance positions they have at their program.

At any rate........:luck: :luck: on hearing back.

yo

Was wondering if anyone on here new the best way to get into Rochester, MN. It seems flights into that airport are super expensive.

Also, out of the number of interviews they give (which I dont know, hopefully someone does), do you know how many they extend invitations to?

Thanks

efex101 said:
If you fly into Minneapolis/St Paul it will cheaper and then catch the shuttle to Rochester.

there is a shuttle? how does that work?

thanks

There's usually two shuttle services that run from the Minneapolis airport to downtown Rochester. There's Rochester Direct at: http://www.rochesterdirect.com/ or 800-280-9270

And, there's Rochester Express at: 800-479-7824 (I can't find the website)

Give 'em a call. The posted price is about $40, but I think if you tell them you're with Mayo, they'll give you a discount.

I hope that helps! If that doesn't work, the office folks probably may have more info (Jane's super-nice).

thanks agp

40ish isnt too bad i guess

Nikki2002 said:
i like miracle whip

haha.. nice.. i was so off my game wheni did my interview, that at the end they asked what i wanted to add and i was like... hmmm i really like mayo... now if that doenst warrant a rejection i dont know what does...

at least they know i didnt prepare my answers :)

bsteves4 said:
haha.. nice.. i was so off my game wheni did my interview, that at the end they asked what i wanted to add and i was like... hmmm i really like mayo... now if that doenst warrant a rejection i dont know what does...

at least they know i didnt prepare my answers :)

Hey bsteves4, don't worry I did the exact same thing and I ended up getting an onsite....I just kept rambling about how much I liked their school and how excited I was or something stupid like that...the whole time I am thinking to myself "stop talking, ok now it is really time to stop talking..." but i just kept going and going. :laugh: :laugh: so my point is you just never know and it can't hurt to let them know you like their program! good luck to you!

I called today to check on my status. They said that since I had taken the August MCAT, my file hadn't been complete till Oct. 20 and that it took a minimum of six weeks to go through committee so I should expect to hear something in December. I then asked if it takes a minimum of six weeks, how other people that took the August MCAT were getting phone interviews and she said that it was all done on an individual basis- But if that's true, then it really isn't a MINIMUM of six weeks, is it? Do they fast track the decisions on the high stats people or what is going on?

mashce said:
I called today to check on my status. They said that since I had taken the August MCAT, my file hadn't been complete till Oct. 20 and that it took a minimum of six weeks to go through committee so I should expect to hear something in December. I then asked if it takes a minimum of six weeks, how other people that took the August MCAT were getting phone interviews and she said that it was all done on an individual basis- But if that's true, then it really isn't a MINIMUM of six weeks, is it? Do they fast track the decisions on the high stats people or what is going on?

For your own sake, try not to analyze it so much. I think they're backed up because first of all, it took them WEEKS to invite me for a phone interview after my app was complete. Then, after my phone interview they told me it normally takes two weeks to get back to applicants for a second interview or decision but it would take them three weeks in my case because they were backed up. As it turned out, it took over a month. I thought that was a bad sign but I got invited for an on campus interview, so just don't worry about it. Things will work out the way they're supposed to. Good luck. :)

I got a call from home an hour ago. A thin letter from Mayo arrived in the mail today. It is my third thin letter this week. I don't think I'm even going to open it. :(

I started the week on Monday with a thin letter from Case Western (my first thin letter). On Friday I got a thin letter from Georgetown. This week has been the pits in the thin letter department.

My phone interview with Mayo was on October 4. It went really well. I didn't rehearse or even read any of the questions posted here before doing the phone interview. I'm not sure what went wrong ... I felt really good about the phone interview. I'm devastated. :(

Joseph said:
I got a call from home an hour ago. A thin letter from Mayo arrived in the mail today. It is my third thin letter this week. I don't think I'm even going to open it. :(

I started the week on Monday with a thin letter from Case Western (my first thin letter). On Friday I got a thin letter from Georgetown. This week has been the pits in the thin letter department.

My phone interview with Mayo was on October 4. It went really well. I didn't rehearse or even read any of the questions posted here before doing the phone interview. I'm not sure what went wrong ... I felt really good about the phone interview. I'm devastated. :(

So sorry about that. Was it your first choice? It's so weird with these interviews....it's so hard to judge how well you did. I mean, you may think you did well in an interview, but then you get a thin letter and find out that you just weren't what the admissions committee was looking for. Believe me, I've been there. It doesn't mean you suck as an applicant...every medical school is looking for something specific. Good luck with everything else. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere great that you'll be really happy.

CTG said:
So sorry about that. Was it your first choice? It's so weird with these interviews....it's so hard to judge how well you did. I mean, you may think you did well in an interview, but then you get a thin letter and find out that you just weren't what the admissions committee was looking for. Believe me, I've been there. It doesn't mean you suck as an applicant...every medical school is looking for something specific. Good luck with everything else. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere great that you'll be really happy.

When I filed my AMCAS, I chose a few dream schools. Mayo was a dream school for me. When I received the invitation for a phone interview, I started to look at Mayo really closely and I fell in love with everything about Mayo. I always knew that Mayo was awesome, but as I learned more and more about Mayo I was hooked. Getting the phone interview made me think that I had a chance at Mayo. Thanks for the encouragement, next week has to be better. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh Mayo...

Phone interview: 10/18/05
Rejection: 11/16/05.

Tips: Don't over read the questions...

I think the most important thing is that you have to convince them that you really really want to attend mayo. I don't think I was able to convince them. Good luck!!!

BTW I believe Mayo will eventually have to increase their class size (of 42) because the AAMC is highly recommending it and tons of other schools are doing so.

Elastase said:
Ahhhh Mayo...

Phone interview: 10/18/05
Rejection: 11/16/05.

Tips: Don't over read the questions...

I think the most important thing is that you have to convince them that you really really want to attend mayo. I don't think I was able to convince them. Good luck!!!

BTW I believe Mayo will eventually have to increase their class size (of 42) because the AAMC is highly recommending it and tons of other schools are doing so.

Unfortunately, if they do increase, it will be too late for us poor applicants...

mashce said:
Unfortunately, if they do increase, it will be too late for us poor applicants...

the whole convince them you want to go there... I remember during my phone interview I think I did a horrid job doing that... when they said "why mayo" all I said was small class size, endless research opportunities, and that I could contribute to their commitment of a diverse studnet body... I can acknowledge that convincing them is helpful, but I'd say I have stats that are "average" for top notch schools, if even average, and making myself unique got me a real interview at a place like mayo...
i agree too that not rehearsing phone intview is important... definately look over the questions though!
good luck to all

owenmichael said:
the whole convince them you want to go there... I remember during my phone interview I think I did a horrid job doing that... when they said "why mayo" all I said was small class size, endless research opportunities, and that I could contribute to their commitment of a diverse studnet body... I can acknowledge that convincing them is helpful, but I'd say I have stats that are "average" for top notch schools, if even average, and making myself unique got me a real interview at a place like mayo...
i agree too that not rehearsing phone intview is important... definately look over the questions though!
good luck to all

If you are out of state-applicant, I believe even things you don't say could work against you when they read your app after reviewing everything (LOR, phone interview). For example if your letters of rec have things about you and your work withing a specific state and your commitment to communities there then they might have a hard time believing that you will actually move to mayo for med school if you are well qualified for state Schools (i.e. Cali)...

rejection....

time to find a new #1....