MBA or DENTISTRY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodle241

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everything equal,which one do you think will make more?? Assume you are good at both,which one will earn you the most considering you're done with MBA in two years, remember, only financial aspect is what I care .

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MBA hands down. Your earning potential is limitless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with MBA. Not only will you save yourself several years of studying, but the earning potential is much higher.

HAHA... You better be joking with this post. I think MBAs average $90K/year, but you are including in that average CEOs and the like that make multi million dollar salaries, so there is no accurate analysis. Dentists, well they average $120K, $175K in private practice and $250K in a specialty... on average.

I think that most people do not understand the MBA degree. If an MBA is obtained from a prestigious school, i.e. Wharton, then the person is pretty much guaranteed a great job after school. Another thing to keep in mind is that to get into Wharton, the person had to have an amazing background academically and professionally to begin with. However, if a person obtains an MBA from an unknown school, there is not much earnings gain. Many MBA's earn average incomes.

However, with dentistry, right out of school a person is "guaranteed" more than many MBA's make after years of work. The two are very difficult to compare and many that go for an MBA cannot obtain a coveted spot at the prestigious schools.

Just my thoughts.

if you are trying to make this decision MBA vs Dentistry as a sole earning potential. Who Cares.

But if you must know go for the MBA you wont be happy as a dentist. They are two completely different fields. are your parents pushing you towards one and you want the other?

I think that most people do not understand the MBA degree. If an MBA is obtained from a prestigious school, i.e. Wharton, then the person is pretty much guaranteed a great job after school. Another thing to keep in mind is that to get into Wharton, the person had to have an amazing background academically and professionally to begin with. However, if a person obtains an MBA from an unknown school, there is not much earnings gain. Many MBA's earn average incomes.

However, with dentistry, right out of school a person is "guaranteed" more than many MBA's make after years of work. The two are very difficult to compare and many that go for an MBA cannot obtain a coveted spot at the prestigious schools.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with totally. Unless you go to the select number of business schools, no one will be impressed with your MBA other than below under you or your neighbors. For many people it takes many years to recap the losses when they go back for the MBA. The financial return just isn't there (unless they were underpaid in the first place....the MBA can simplify rectify that).

Another thing to think about...if one were to work hard at their MBA, then work hard in the workforce right after, I bet their income would compare to a dentist. My mom does consulting and she never gets used to how lazy people are in companies. She said the only difference between the people at the top and the people at the bottom is just a little more effort, not necessarily time.

So, if money is your thing, you are commiting yourself in dentistry to at least 4 years of DDS/DMD and 2 years in a certificate program. 100% commitment. Why not devote 2 years to the MBA, and 4 years to working with full effort like you would have had to in dental school and specialty training....you will no doubt get noticed and work your way up.

My real point is, get the hell out of dentistry. You will ruin your employee's lives, cut corners, and present innapropriate treatment to patients if money is your goal.

I don't think your goal of money is wrong, just using the wrong path to get there.

If you are thinking just the money... MBA!!!

Everything equal,which one do you think will make more?? Assume you are good at both,which one will earn you the most considering you're done with MBA in two years, remember, only financial aspect is what I care .

thanks

I think your post alone is very telling. Get your MBA. You're not going to make it in dentistry if money is your goal.

If you are seeking a high net yield in income and are still debating dentistry vs. an MBA, you are completely lost in the woods. An MBA is a second avenue for analysts who could not land an associateship at their firm, or when applying to larger firm. If your feet are not yet wet in finance and you are seeking an MBA for that magical 6 or 7 figure salary, you are going to find yourself as an analyst in perpetuity. Remember, the average modern day investment banker is a souped up IT tech + secretary combined.

It's one thing to analyze different facets from both professions, but if you are seeking an earning potential summation, dentists on average make more than investment bankers. However, you are going to be a miserable dental student, a crappy dentist, and be very upset with your life if you choose dentistry for the wrong reasons. The educational avenues for these two degrees can cross... but honestly, take a step back and re-evaluate what it is that you want, and why.

be an i-banker, work 70 hour weeks and make 500-1mil per year!

be an i-banker, work 70 hour weeks and make 500-1mil per year!

Those people are one in a million. Especially now cuz even the people at Wells Fargo that sell premade investment products are called investment bankers.

The movies have hyped up i-banking too much. Most of them, as previously suggested, are not earning multi million dollar incomes and they work long hours to develop computer models, find data for upper management, make presentations, listen to presentations, etc. The strip clubs, drinking, partying are not common day for every non-moive-i-banker. It's also a very old school profession...good luck breaking into it if you're not from the ivy's of the business world or if you're not a white male. Why would you want to show up everyday to that?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's some stuff that I found off "org" internet sites (if that means anything anymore).

1)
"M.B.A.s in 2006 who accepted job offers and have less than three years of work experience expected to earn an average annual base salary of $68,399 and a signing bonus of $10,736, GMAC reports. Graduates with at least three years of experience but less than six expected to earn $81,710 in average annual base salary and a signing bonus of $16,256. M.B.A.s in 2006 with six or more years' experience expected an annual base salary of $100,887 and a signing bonus of $17,521."

2)
The median expected salary for a typical Dentist in the United States is $126,844. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.

Based off of these findings, even with six years or more experience after you've received your MBA you would still, on the average, be making less than a typical dentist practicing in the USA. If you want money and lifestyle, dentistry is superior to MBA hands down. Be your own boss, a guranteed job with higher average incomes than MBA's. No forced early retirements and you'll never get "fired" unless you do something obscene. Plus, if you REALLY wanted to, you could go a few more years and specialize in the myriad arrays of opportunities dentistry has to offer and make more money then you can possibly imagine. Nevertheless, I say this only because the thread was started about comparing money opportunities. Needless to say, I did not join the dental path because of money (there are many more benefits to this lifestyle), money is just an added bonus. My two cents

I agree with totally. Unless you go to the select number of business schools, no one will be impressed with your MBA other than below under you or your neighbors. For many people it takes many years to recap the losses when they go back for the MBA. The financial return just isn't there (unless they were underpaid in the first place....the MBA can simplify rectify that).

Another thing to think about...if one were to work hard at their MBA, then work hard in the workforce right after, I bet their income would compare to a dentist. My mom does consulting and she never gets used to how lazy people are in companies. She said the only difference between the people at the top and the people at the bottom is just a little more effort, not necessarily time.

So, if money is your thing, you are commiting yourself in dentistry to at least 4 years of DDS/DMD and 2 years in a certificate program. 100% commitment. Why not devote 2 years to the MBA, and 4 years to working with full effort like you would have had to in dental school and specialty training....you will no doubt get noticed and work your way up.

My real point is, get the hell out of dentistry. You will ruin your employee's lives, cut corners, and present innapropriate treatment to patients if money is your goal.

I don't think your goal of money is wrong, just using the wrong path to get there.

Stop being a social ******.It will hurt you in the long run.

Here's some stuff that I found off "org" internet sites (if that means anything anymore).

1)
"M.B.A.s in 2006 who accepted job offers and have less than three years of work experience expected to earn an average annual base salary of $68,399 and a signing bonus of $10,736, GMAC reports. Graduates with at least three years of experience but less than six expected to earn $81,710 in average annual base salary and a signing bonus of $16,256. M.B.A.s in 2006 with six or more years' experience expected an annual base salary of $100,887 and a signing bonus of $17,521."

2)
The median expected salary for a typical Dentist in the United States is $126,844. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.

Based off of these findings, even with six years or more experience after you've received your MBA you would still, on the average, be making less than a typical dentist practicing in the USA. If you want money and lifestyle, dentistry is superior to MBA hands down. Be your own boss, a guranteed job with higher average incomes than MBA's. No forced early retirements and you'll never get "fired" unless you do something obscene. Plus, if you REALLY wanted to, you could go a few more years and specialize in the myriad arrays of opportunities dentistry has to offer and make more money then you can possibly imagine. Nevertheless, I say this only because the thread was started about comparing money opportunities. Needless to say, I did not join the dental path because of money (there are many more benefits to this lifestyle), money is just an added bonus. My two cents
Thanks for you response.It made lots of things clear.

i know a harvard grad./mba who never earned as much as an average dentist from his "salary" alone. The guy is a multi-millionaire though, through other means

special thnaks to all who shared their opinions. I did expect to hear some BS as well but overall the thread made alot of things clear to me.To those few trust fund babies who put their two cents in regarding the ethics in dentistry, you might want to save them.I already have acceptance with full 2 year scholarship from a good dental school ( With PAT 16,YES,stop looking at my other threads!!!). same applies to MBA school ,full scholarship. The reason for these scholarships is mostly due to the fact that I didnt bury myself in books.I hated being a social ****** and despised those who are.They are the reason our world is so messed up.
Bottom line,money is important to me and those who say its not important for them, its because either they already have it or maybe they lie alot!!!
those are the same crowd that sit in front of interviewer and say their reason for joining dentistry is " to help people" ,guess what. Adcom laughs at you behind your back.I've been witness to that
I know I can finish both degrees successfully, good or bad ,thats how I am. But having the best finanical security is way more important than helping people. In the end,I thank all of you who ONLY responded to my question without providing me with any ethical comments.thanks

if you are trying to make this decision MBA vs Dentistry as a sole earning potential. Who Cares.

But if you must know go for the MBA you wont be happy as a dentist. They are two completely different fields. are your parents pushing you towards one and you want the other?
lol.My parents?? are you one of those who wonders whether to take their parents to interview???!!!!
My parents have passed away long time ago. Unlike you,I dont care what my relatives will think about my degree and unlin you,I dont need DDS beside my name to be able to get laid!!! Grow up

thanks

Wouldn't they make the same then?;)

There is one thing I slightly disagree with. I don't think it is intelligent to go into dentistry if you are doing it only for the money, but realistically, people will go into it for this reason at times. I think some that go into it for the money will still make great dentists, but they may not enjoy their lives very much.

unlin you,I dont need DDS beside my name to be able to get laid!!! Grow up

i love you... i feel the same way that you do about some people on this site... people need to get a life and grab a beer...

lol.My parents?? are you one of those who wonders whether to take their parents to interview???!!!!
My parents have passed away long time ago. Unlike you,I dont care what my relatives will think about my degree and unlin you,I dont need DDS beside my name to be able to get laid!!! Grow up

At least he'll be the expert witness at the malpractice trial instead of the defendant. Make sure you let the judge know how much you get laid.

As some others have touched on, the MBA isn't like a professional degree (MD, DDS, etc.) that basically guarantees you a job and a decent sum of money. Your best bet would be to get a good job, get some experience, and then get the MBA. Of course, if you can get into Wharton, Stern, Harvard Bus., etc. than by all means, go that route. What's the worst that could happen? You waste two years of your life, reapply to dental school after that. Of course, you'll probably have excellent job propsects lines up at that point, in which case you probably wouldn't want to go into healthcare (if money is the main motivation).

So, do the MBA if you can get into a school that has awesome networking. If not, the MBA is practically worthless.

Somehow I feel that you are in need of "growing up".

Also, you seem like the type of person I would not want to visit if you were a practicing dentist. A dentist more interested in sucking money out of me than helping me is not a professional I would like working on me.

Of course, if you can get into Wharton, Stern, Harvard Bus., etc. than by all means, go that route. What's the worst that could happen? You waste two years of your life, reapply to dental school after that.

It's also 72K / year in debt you'll be accruing, in addition to dental school debt. MBA's, especially at reputable schools, are ridiculously expensive.

If you think you're going to learn anything from a top notch MBA program, the truth is that you won't. There is a reason why MBA programs are deemed "two year vacations" by those who have already worked in finance. Heck, two or there years back, Wharton didn't even log grades for their MBA students - they were just shooting for passing marks, and going out to undergrad bars and getting wasted during the weekdays. MBA's are a right of passage/formality for those seeking an associateship at firms.

It's also 72K / year in debt you'll be accruing, in addition to dental school debt. MBA's, especially at reputable schools, are ridiculously expensive.

If you think you're going to learn anything from a top notch MBA program, the truth is that you won't. There is a reason why MBA programs are deemed "two year vacations" by those who have already worked in finance. Heck, two or there years back, Wharton didn't even log grades for their MBA students - they were just shooting for passing marks, and going out to undergrad bars and getting wasted during the weekdays. MBA's are a right of passage/formality for those seeking an associateship at firms.

For sure an MBA isn't exactly a rigorous degree, but I think I addressed that when I said you should go to these schools for the networking oppurtunities. I don't doubt that you will not get a better education at Wharton than another school, but you will be more likely to get a better job coming out of Wharton. Same with law school. Going to Yale will get you a high paying job, whereas going to University of Podunk will just get you a lot of debt doing $99 divorces, if you're lucky.

At least he'll be the expert witness at the malpractice trial instead of the defendant. Make sure you let the judge know how much you get laid.
Im sure you know alot about malpractice witnesses.Go do your research first and see who can be a witness at malpractice trial!!!!!( trial,lmao)
By the way,shouldnt you be studying your dental courses right now?? you still get your sense of security from SDN?? You love people telling you how great you did in your DAT ?? Its over. move on,face the facts .

i love you... i feel the same way that you do about some people on this site... people need to get a life and grab a beer...

Please tell me which school has more students with your type of attitude? I will move into that state .thanks :D

Somehow I feel that you are in need of "growing up".

Also, you seem like the type of person I would not want to visit if you were a practicing dentist. A dentist more interested in sucking money out of me than helping me is not a professional I would like working on me.

Do you include your grades in your outgoing emails?? very sad.
I have helped more people than you have and I would not want to see a baby in my office anyway,I wont practice pediatric dentistry

There is one thing I slightly disagree with. I don't think it is intelligent to go into dentistry if you are doing it only for the money, but realistically, people will go into it for this reason at times. I think some that go into it for the money will still make great dentists, but they may not enjoy their lives very much.
you know,its not only money.I like their job security and autonomy very much as well. However money is an important factor but not the only one.

I have helped more people than you have and I would not want to see a baby in my office anyway,I wont practice pediatric dentistry

"What are your stats?" is one of the most frequently asked questions I have seen in posts. I'm sure he placed his stats there to help people assess their own situations, and not to flaunt himself.

i say do both, dmd/mba........make millions, then go home and make love to your trophy wife. sign me up.

i say do both, dmd/mba........make millions, then go home and make love to your trophy wife. sign me up.

Wife??!!! Could you get anymore uptight?? or are you really that socially ******ed???:(

I am married to a Harvard MBA, and I know numerous people with MBA's from Harvard, U Mich, U Chicago, Northwestern, etc. I know what the life of an MBA is, how much they make, and how they got there.

Money is important to me also. For those of you who claim that money isn't important, either you haven't lived solely on your own income for a few years, you're still living off your parents, or you're in denial. A high salary doesn't guarantee happiness, but living a life of debt guarantees misery.

Before I decided to pursue dentistry, I also heavily investigated getting an MBA. Long story short, you can make a high income with both degrees. In the short term, MBA's from top ten schools can make 100k 1st year out, about 150k five years out, and over 200k after that. BUT, that assumes that you are really good at your job, work long hours, travel, and can deal with corporate America for the rest of your life. I decided that I can't deal with corporate Amercia for the rest of my life. That is one reason why an MBA is not for me. MBA's from average schools have salaries about 50%-70% of those from top schools.

There will be some dentists that can make the salaries that I listed above, and there will be some that will take five years to break $5000/month take home pay after paying student loans, taxes, and other misc debt. If you don't believe me, than you haven't talked to enough dentists about salaries.

Your income with either degrees will be a reflection of your skills and commitment to your career. PERIOD!

What is most important is that the skills required to be successful with an MBA are COMPLETELY different than those of dentistry. If you need SDN'ers to help you decide which degree you should get soley based on money......maybe you need to a do some serious soul searching.....

The career paths for both dentistry and an MBA are both long, and extremely competitve. Although it only takes 2 years to get an MBA, you need to work at least 3-4 years for a corporation, be a top performer, and score in the top 10% on the GMAT to have a chance at the top MBA schools.

Im sure you know alot about malpractice witnesses.Go do your research first and see who can be a witness at malpractice trial!!!!!( trial,lmao)
By the way,shouldnt you be studying your dental courses right now?? you still get your sense of security from SDN?? You love people telling you how great you did in your DAT ?? Its over. move on,face the facts .

hey. go do you're research adn relize that i was making joke so i dont relly need to do reserch for a joke.

Seriously though man, I eagerly await cleaning up after your iatrogenic messes.

Yeah, I want everyone to know that I have a 3.17 science GPA - it's a big ego booster.

How could you possibly know you've helped more people than me?

Oh well, doesn't matter - let's just make-out.

Wife??!!! Could you get anymore uptight?? or are you really that socially ******ed???:(

According to you, what exactly is a "social ******" anyways? You've sure used the phrase enough to make it clear that you don't like them... Is it all married people? People that help kids? People that have kids? People that don't make more than 100k in a year? Handicapped Canadians? People who can't think of more than one phrase to use when describing others they don't like?

It seems you cast a pretty big net there... By your standards I must be a "triple social ******" because I'm married and I have two kids. Not to mention all the "social ******s" around me every day who help others and make just enough money to be happy.

Oh yeah, and I'm Canadian too... add one more "social ******" to my name...

the same crowd that sit in front of interviewer and say their reason for joining dentistry is " to help people" ,guess what. Adcom laughs at you behind your back.

This one part I agree with. Many applicants do really believe this and want this, but it's best to say a more believable reason since it's so easy to sound insincere.

But to address your original post, I'd say this: Please believe the other posts that if you don't passionately love teeth, saliva, blood, dealing with people, horrible breath, surgery, and sculpture, you will not be a content dentist. You will probably be able to make a lot, but it simply isn't worth it for you and is not fair to your future patients. It is four years of humiliation as you learn completely alien concepts and mechanics. Before you're good at something you learn something new and it's a constant evolution (ask 5 different profs and get 5 different answers.) You need to want to be (or at least not MIND being) wrist deep in pus and blood and plaster to deal with a 35-year career in dental medicine.

There are SO many fields that you can enter with a sole financial goal. Some do enter dentistry for this reason, but remember that it's much more specific than many other business-ey professions.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

special thnaks to all who shared their opinions. I did expect to hear some BS as well but overall the thread made alot of things clear to me.To those few trust fund babies who put their two cents in regarding the ethics in dentistry, you might want to save them.I already have acceptance with full 2 year scholarship from a good dental school ( With PAT 16,YES,stop looking at my other threads!!!). same applies to MBA school ,full scholarship. The reason for these scholarships is mostly due to the fact that I didnt bury myself in books.I hated being a social ****** and despised those who are.They are the reason our world is so messed up.
Bottom line,money is important to me and those who say its not important for them, its because either they already have it or maybe they lie alot!!!
those are the same crowd that sit in front of interviewer and say their reason for joining dentistry is " to help people" ,guess what. Adcom laughs at you behind your back.I've been witness to that
I know I can finish both degrees successfully, good or bad ,thats how I am. But having the best finanical security is way more important than helping people. In the end,I thank all of you who ONLY responded to my question without providing me with any ethical comments.thanks

Which school?

Ah yes, this kid has a scholarship to dental school with a PAT 16 and I can cure AIDS with my mind

Ah yes, this kid has a scholarship to dental school with a PAT 16 and I can cure AIDS with my mind
very impressive,your english has improved greatly.:D

Nice avatar.

Rampage vs Wand: Part 3 coming soon...? I hope.

This one part I agree with. Many applicants do really believe this and want this, but it's best to say a more believable reason since it's so easy to sound insincere.

But to address your original post, I'd say this: Please believe the other posts that if you don't passionately love teeth, saliva, blood, dealing with people, horrible breath, surgery, and sculpture, you will not be a content dentist. You will probably be able to make a lot, but it simply isn't worth it for you and is not fair to your future patients. It is four years of humiliation as you learn completely alien concepts and mechanics. Before you're good at something you learn something new and it's a constant evolution (ask 5 different profs and get 5 different answers.) You need to want to be (or at least not MIND being) wrist deep in pus and blood and plaster to deal with a 35-year career in dental medicine.

There are SO many fields that you can enter with a sole financial goal. Some do enter dentistry for this reason, but remember that it's much more specific than many other business-ey professions.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Although I agree with most of what you said,but there is a slight problem in what you said.I dont think dentists should LOVE teeth, cause then one can infer that:
OBGYN loves vagina and juices
Podiatrics loves foot
Urinologist loves urine and penis and kidney
and ................
However I believe that if you want to become good in any of these professions, you shouldnt have problem dealing with the negative sides of that job but you Dont HAVE TO love it

Although I agree with most of what you said,but there is a slight problem in what you said.I dont think dentists should LOVE teeth, cause then one can infer that:
OBGYN loves vagina and juices
Podiatrics loves foot
Urinologist loves urine and penis and kidney
and ................
However I believe that if you want to become good in any of these professions, you shouldnt have problem dealing with the negative sides of that job but you Dont HAVE TO love it

I hope thats true. I'm currently a pre-health freshman in college, and have been contemplating dental school. The one thing that worries me sometimes is that I get REALLY annoyed by bad breath.

I HATE bad breath so i just figure I will wear a mask. haha