MBA Value to Private Practice Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrPunctual

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how much value having a MBA degree would add when applying to private practice groups after fellowship. While I'm guessing it is more wishful than realistic to think that an MBA will reduce the time before one becoming a partner (which is roughly 2-5 years depending on the group??), is it safe to assume that a MBA would make me a much stronger candidate for private practice groups? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

how well you mesh with the practice and overall clinical competency likely matter much more than an MBA (minimal to nil)

might be helpful if you went pharma route though

Reactions: 1 user
Unless they’re hiring you to be the director, it will have no benefit at all. And they’re definitely not going to hire a fresh grad to be a medical director

I also don’t think it will have any benefit for pharma, at least an initial pharma job.

I honestly don’t think that an MBA is ever particularly useful for a practicing physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed to hear that's the case but it makes sense. Thanks guys!

You don't pay for an MBA for the knowledge, you pay for their alumni network. The actual degree is fairly worthless.

MBA was maybe useful 15 years ago when healthcare administration positions were wide open. These days, I’m not sure what an MBA does for a physician in any practice environment... private, academic, hospital-employed, etc. Its more or less a fluff degree. You don’t come out with any deep, practical skillset that one cannot obtain by reading a few books. If you wanted to completely switch careers then it’s conceivable a top 5 program can open some doors. But even then it’s by no means a guarantee.

MBA was maybe useful 15 years ago when healthcare administration positions were wide open. These days, I’m not sure what an MBA does for a physician in any practice environment... private, academic, hospital-employed, etc. Its more or less a fluff degree. You don’t come out with any deep, practical skillset that one cannot obtain by reading a few books. If you wanted to completely switch careers then it’s conceivable a top 5 program can open some doors. But even then it’s by no means a guarantee.
Agree. My MBA was free, allowed me to take a fifth year of med school and couples match. Otherwise I am not sure what benefit it conferred

classes were very interesting and useful at the time but I’ve forgotten them by now.