MCAT 2015 Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 23/59 (39%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 31/53 (58%)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 30/59 (51%)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 25/59 (42%)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken biochem? Is the test similar to the old aamc and was this test more of a content test or passage based?
nope I'm in biochem right now. I go to a really small college so the professor who is my mentor is letting me choose what topics I want us to discuss; so that helps a lot. It's like being in tutoring cause of course I'm telling him topics I need to cover for the MCAT.
I'm not sure about the old aamc cause I never took a practice or actual test. The biology was both content and passage based, like you needed to deduce info from the passage and use prior knowledge to answer. It was quite difficult for me. The CARS passages were super readable. There was only one passage I almost fell asleep on lol. I think I culd have done way better for the physical/chemistry section, I made some stupid mistakes.
I can't say much about pysch and sociolgy cause I know NOTHING content wise.

Reactions: 1 user
I REALLY hope you get in. It's like you knew I needed to hear this message right now. It's frustrating when I don't remember content, now I'll just keep reminding myself to chug along. I hope more people get on board and lol I agree the number makes NO sense.
I wish you the best of luck! :)
Thank you so much @success16 I had another person message me asking if I wanted to study with them so if you want to join us you are more than welcome. I think my plan right now is to 1. finish the first practice exam before I do any studying (this should be tragic since I haven't interacted with chemistry, orgo or physics in over a year.) Use that to assess areas in which I need to improve, 2. print off the massive content packet from AAMC and use that to guide my studying 3. purchase Kaplan and Princeton review books 4. set up a study plan of topics to cover each week 5. buy coffee 6. buy whatever other AAMC products I can get my hands on and 7. buy more coffee.
If anyone likes the sound of this plan (how could you not, there is coffee involved.) message me and we can get organized.
JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Hey all I just finished the first section of the practice test. Before doing any studying/review my raw score was a 36/59 =61% not bad not good. But physics and chem are my worst so good starting point I guess. You must know your amino acids backwards forwards and inside out. I didn't remember most of them so that killed me. Also know enzyme kinetics

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I just finished the first section of the practice test. Before doing any studying/review my raw score was a 36/59 =61% not bad not good. But physics and chem are my worst so good starting point I guess. You must know your amino acids backwards forwards and inside out. I didn't remember most of them so that killed me. Also know enzyme kinetics
Same physics and chemistry knowledge requires though? Also how did you feel about the timing? I took a Kaplan test and it was unbearably long

How detailed is the enzyme kinetics? Did you take biochem? That's a pretty solid score.

@GEToutLADYits6AM hi! I did take an intro biochem course last semester but I can't say I remember much in detail. I think the most important biochem concepts from the practice test were Enzyme kinetics, amino acids (know the structures very well and the charges also how charges change based on ph.) Squalene showed up quite a few times for sure

@Glazedonutlove yes you need physics and chemistry but I felt like the questions were way better than the old one. On the old test it was like "a UFO orbits an ancient
Planet while emitting gamma rays that cause earthquakes. Given this, how many purple aliens live inside jelly filled donuts?" That's obviously a joke but half the time I was taking the old mcat that is how I felt. I did not take the whole exam and I took it untimed because I wanted to get familiar with it first but I would say that the first section was average in length. I know a lot of you are worried but I have spent 4 years trying to master the old test (I did well enough but I really wanted to try and get high 30s). I am excited about this new test. I think it does a much better job testing important concepts and problem solving. And all of the questions were related to biological systems. I always panicked during PS because it wasn't my comfort zone. I did not feel uncomfortable at all during the practice exam because what I lacked in physics and chemistry I could use my knowledge of the biological systems to answer the questions. The only questions I missed were because needed to review material. I'm not a smarty pants so if I can do this so can you guys! I would highly suggest printing the concept list off and using that to guide your studying based on the practice test. And buy the practice test! Also don't just stick to one resource. If you feel like you are struggling with a concept don't just keep reading it over And over again in the same book. Consult Kahn academy, physics classroom, PR, Barron's and Kaplan. They all have different things and maybe one sentence will change your life lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I bought the Kaplan book (Behavioral Sciences) to get access to the online Practice tests, but it only gave me access to 3 Psyc-Soci Sections. Did anyone else register all the books? How are the Kaplan tests?

So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

Thank you for this post.

My impression with the new MCAT is that it's much harder than the older version especially the science section.
Passages are much harder to read. They are usually from random research abstract that people are usually not familiar with.
Also the stand alone question asks you even the small details that you have to pretty much memorize every single thing.

Just finished the critical reasoning passage... omg was it long... okay yes, much longer than the old MCAT but I think it was a lot easier. I scored an 11 on the VR from the old MCAT and my raw score for the practice test was 44/53 ~83%. Granted I took it on my ipad while sitting in the back of my afternoon lecture, so that how ever you want lol. Hope this helps someone. I'm usually not a very good reader so I have developed some strategies if anyone needs help. I have started the biochem/biology section now, i think its average in difficulty but I'm working on my masters and still missing questions so that says something (having not reviewed, some of the questions were simply things I don't remember). I think it would be nuts to require a masters to do well on the MCAT. I will post score when I finish the section tomorrow. JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Reactions: 4 users
@GEToutLADYits6AM hi! I did take an intro biochem course last semester but I can't say I remember much in detail. I think the most important biochem concepts from the practice test were Enzyme kinetics, amino acids (know the structures very well and the charges also how charges change based on ph.) Squalene showed up quite a few times for sure
Do we need to know how to derive the michaelis menten equation? How detailed are the questions?

My impression with the new MCAT is that it's much harder than the older version especially the science section.
Passages are much harder to read. They are usually from random research abstract that people are usually not familiar with.
Also the stand alone question asks you even the small details that you have to pretty much memorize every single thing.
I think it's harder in the sense that you need to apply things to the human system. HOWEVER, I heard it's the literally the same as the old test, jus spiced with experimental stuff, in the sense that if you do not understand the content well or how to take the test (i.e. do FL's) then you will not do well. So like the old exam. For people like me that don't like ochem/physics much, I'm hoping it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to know how to derive the michaelis menten equation? How detailed are the questions?
I felt like they touched on more broad concepts like know what K values for enzyme kinetics mean. Ie if it's high what does that mean. I think the new test doesn't require you to know physics or Chem in excessive detail like the old test. Try using the content list to determine the detail level. Hope this helps.

Just finished the critical reasoning passage... omg was it long... okay yes, much longer than the old MCAT but I think it was a lot easier. I scored an 11 on the VR from the old MCAT and my raw score for the practice test was 44/53 ~83%. Granted I took it on my ipad while sitting in the back of my afternoon lecture, so that how ever you want lol. Hope this helps someone. I'm usually not a very good reader so I have developed some strategies if anyone needs help. I have started the biochem/biology section now, i think its average in difficulty but I'm working on my masters and still missing questions so that says something (having not reviewed, some of the questions were simply things I don't remember). I think it would be nuts to require a masters to do well on the MCAT. I will post score when I finish the section tomorrow. JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Would love to hear your strategies for VR! I'm a retaker and I did terrible on VR the first time :(

my raw score for the practice test was 44/53 ~83%.
I just wanted to say well done!! Especially since you did that in a lecture room with plenty of distractions around. I would love to hear your strategies as well! I'm not the fastest reader so if you can share tips in getting through passages efficiently, that would be awesome.

I just wanted to say well done!! Especially since you did that in a lecture room with plenty of distractions around. I would love to hear your strategies as well! I'm not the fastest reader so if you can share tips in getting through passages efficiently, that would be awesome.
Hi everyone! Happy to share my strategies. Let me first start off by saying that I have very mild dyslexia, but even still reading can be a little tedious. Luckily I've had A LOT of practice and worked on it so hard for so long that I don't have any problems and often do pretty well on verbal reasoning sections because I've had to work so hard. That being said here are the strategies I have developed.
1. Read the entire passage. Don't focus on every word but actually read the entire passage. During this time you should develop an overall impression of the theme of the article, the main points and the attitude of the author. There will be questions that address this and you will miss them if you don't read the whole passage. You will waste time trying to figure out the answer by searching for answers without reading the passage. Jot down the main theme and the attitude as reference for later.
2. Stay focused. This is a long tedious section and I realize saying stay focused is obvious, but it's also really hard to do so here are things you can do. Highlight as you read. Read out loud. I cannot stress how helpful this is. Do it quietly but you'll find you read faster and are able to stay focused. In between each passage take a deep breath to refresh.
3. Watch for key words. I.e. "Nearly all with, Rare exceptions" does not mean all. The attitude and key words in the passage will often be reflected in the answers.
4. When questions refer to specific paragraphs read the last sentence of the preceding paragraph, the entire paragraph in question and maybe the first sentence of the following paragraph. This might not be necessary each time but at least read the entire paragraph in question.

These are just things that work for me. They may not work for you so try to come up with a plan of attack. Maybe it uses all of these tips maybe none. But having a strategy is crucial. If you are consistent and tackle each passage with the same strategy you will save a lot of time. Starting over at the beginning of each passage and trying to figure out your plan will kill you. Feel free to send me questions you missed if you want to discuss. Just keep swimming!

Reactions: 3 users
@Glazedonutlove yes you need physics and chemistry but I felt like the questions were way better than the old one. On the old test it was like "a UFO orbits an ancient
Planet while emitting gamma rays that cause earthquakes. Given this, how many purple aliens live inside jelly filled donuts?" That's obviously a joke but half the time I was taking the old mcat that is how I felt. I did not take the whole exam and I took it untimed because I wanted to get familiar with it first but I would say that the first section was average in length. I know a lot of you are worried but I have spent 4 years trying to master the old test (I did well enough but I really wanted to try and get high 30s). I am excited about this new test. I think it does a much better job testing important concepts and problem solving. And all of the questions were related to biological systems. I always panicked during PS because it wasn't my comfort zone. I did not feel uncomfortable at all during the practice exam because what I lacked in physics and chemistry I could use my knowledge of the biological systems to answer the questions. The only questions I missed were because needed to review material. I'm not a smarty pants so if I can do this so can you guys! I would highly suggest printing the concept list off and using that to guide your studying based on the practice test. And buy the practice test! Also don't just stick to one resource. If you feel like you are struggling with a concept don't just keep reading it over And over again in the same book. Consult Kahn academy, physics classroom, PR, Barron's and Kaplan. They all have different things and maybe one sentence will change your life lol.
Your comment has made me soooo happy because I got burned out with the old test and screwed up when I KNEW I was capable. Thanks so much for this encouraging post, it gives hope to some of us who felt extremely discouraged by the old format. Obviously this will still be a beast, but I myself also have so much more confidence approaching this one.

Last edited:
Oh my jelly donuts......the biochem and biology of living systems just fried my brain like an egg on the hot pavement. I have a feeling that this is not related so much to the test but more since I had been studying for my cardio exam for 8 hours when i decided to "wind down" by taking the next section of the MCAT. I think I am losing my mind. But I digress, Key topics: biochem....alll of it... haha but seriously enzyme kinetics and amino acids came up a good amount...basically I think we all need to know our amino acids inside out upside down and backwards. Genetics sort of came into play. I really didn't feel like there were any major topics that came up other than amino acids, maybe that is most prominent because I missed those questions as I haven't reviewed amino acids. HUGE TIP: look for key words. There were a lot of questions I literally had no idea but I consulted the passage. For example one of the answers to a questions was lysosome and while the passage did not specifically reference lysosomes there was one sentence about degradation. I found that reading the entire passage helped again. Lots of figures. Was very heavy in experimental passages but I honestly think that they use that to make you panic. Experimental stuff gives me hives because I panic that I am not going to understand it. I take a deep breath and just read the passage for what it is and bazinga answers smack me in the face. Don't let the language or content of the passages intimidate you. YOU GOT THIS! Any who, I'm the last one here tonight so I should probably go pretend to have a life and by that I mean eat something and watch some big bang theory. HAPPY STUDYING EVERYONE! JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Oh yea sorry.... raw score for Biochem/Biology 42/59 ~71%

Oh my jelly donuts......the biochem and biology of living systems just fried my brain like an egg on the hot pavement. I have a feeling that this is not related so much to the test but more since I had been studying for my cardio exam for 8 hours when i decided to "wind down" by taking the next section of the MCAT. I think I am losing my mind. But I digress, Key topics: biochem....alll of it... haha but seriously enzyme kinetics and amino acids came up a good amount...basically I think we all need to know our amino acids inside out upside down and backwards. Genetics sort of came into play. I really didn't feel like there were any major topics that came up other than amino acids, maybe that is most prominent because I missed those questions as I haven't reviewed amino acids. HUGE TIP: look for key words. There were a lot of questions I literally had no idea but I consulted the passage. For example one of the answers to a questions was lysosome and while the passage did not specifically reference lysosomes there was one sentence about degradation. I found that reading the entire passage helped again. Lots of figures. Was very heavy in experimental passages but I honestly think that they use that to make you panic. Experimental stuff gives me hives because I panic that I am not going to understand it. I take a deep breath and just read the passage for what it is and bazinga answers smack me in the face. Don't let the language or content of the passages intimidate you. YOU GOT THIS! Any who, I'm the last one here tonight so I should probably go pretend to have a life and by that I mean eat something and watch some big bang theory. HAPPY STUDYING EVERYONE! JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Oh yea sorry.... raw score for Biochem/Biology 42/59 ~71%
Hmm, this is kinda how the old test was, the passage had a lot of helpful hints that pointed to the correct answer. You just have to learn to comprehend and really understand the passage. Was this from the 1 new AAMC FL? What are you using for biochem/bio? That's a great score! You still have roughly a month and a half, great job! :)

I have dyslexics, blind in both eyes and was asleep when I took the vr section and ended up scoring a 91%. Just work hard and u can do it too!

hi guys, how similar is the physics and chem knowledge you need to know compared to the old test. Can I use the old TPR content review books for that section? Did they remove a lot of physics and chem topics? What about bio, is it pretty much the same bio chapters? I need to retake because I scored 6/9/8 on the last 1/23 old mcat. Even though I was consistently at 7/10/10 on practice, go figure. Need to start thinking about this test now. I did like my TPR content books for the old test though.

hi guys, how similar is the physics and chem knowledge you need to know compared to the old test. Can I use the old TPR content review books for that section? Did they remove a lot of physics and chem topics? What about bio, is it pretty much the same bio chapters? I need to retake because I scored 6/9/8 on the last 1/23 old mcat. Even though I was consistently at 7/10/10 on practice, go figure. Need to start thinking about this test now. I did like my TPR content books for the old test though.
This will be your friend https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf. A few Phyiscs/Ochem removed. Some added. Gen Chem is the same basically. A lot of people are using their old books, as apparently test companies only removed sections and added a couple questions for practice. I'm using my old TBR books for everything. Not sure about the actual practice questions (if anyone can please chime in!), but content is very similar to the old one plus biochem/behvarioal psych added.

Hmm, this is kinda how the old test was, the passage had a lot of helpful hints that pointed to the correct answer. You just have to learn to comprehend and really understand the passage. Was this from the 1 new AAMC FL? What are you using for biochem/bio? That's a great score! You still have roughly a month and a half, great job! :)

Yea the test I'm using is the only AAMC test I could find for the new one. I haven't started studying yet because I wanted to see how this practice test went and tackle studying based on that. I probably won't take it until June or July so not in a huge rush. The book I had in my biochem class was excellent I will find out the name and let you know. As far as bio goes I've been relying on my courses that I had last semester so I'll need to do a lot of reviewing. For some reason I always do well on the practice tests and then not so well on the real deal. I can take pictures of my biochem notes too.

For some reason I always do well on the practice tests and then not so well on the real deal. I can take pictures of my biochem notes too.
Tell me about it, I have horrible test anxiety, so I just have to pretend it's another FL i'm taking and learn to be confident. And thanks for the input :)

I'm right there with you. I'm in a constant battle with physics and chemistry. From what I understand, the topic list looks pretty similar to the old one but I believe that less detail is required in each section of the list. I have found that if you understand the general concepts, you can do very well. For me I've found that there are 3 phases of my knowledge 1. I know nothing 2. I vaguely sort of remember details and 3. I definitely know this. I succeed when I'm in zone 1 and zone 3. Zone 2 gets me in trouble because I think too much but don't know the material well enough and forget to consult the passage.

Where did you find this practice exam? I am eager to begin practicing myself!! Thank you!

Guys and Girls, I feel silly for asking this question but WHERE are you all finding this new MCAT15 practice exam?? I have the kaplin book for test preparation, but I know I need to start taking practice exams! THANK YOU!!

Guys and Girls, I feel silly for asking this question but WHERE are you all finding this new MCAT15 practice exam?? I have the kaplin book for test preparation, but I know I need to start taking practice exams! THANK YOU!!
You can but it on aamc website

Yay just finished the Psychology and Sociology part of the exam. I should preface this with, I have a degree in psychology and I did not take this timed (roughly 50 minutes lapsed during my test) so that obviously helped me a lot. Raw score 48/59 ~81% Overall impression is that there were 2 types of questions 1. questions that you could either figure out based on the passage or just common sense and 2. questions that required you to know specific theories and definitions. I would say that about 50% of the questions required you to know specific theories or definitions or you had very little hope of getting them correct. Example, Some questions give you an explanation of something and then say, this is an example of what? Then it lists four theories or concepts. If you don't know the theories or the concepts there was no hope. I felt that this section, more than the others required you to be able to recall facts rather than problem solve. The section was 59 questions but it honestly felt like it went by way faster than the other sections. maybe that is because felt like I either knew the answer or i had no clue so that eliminated of thinking time. Anyway. hope this helps you guys. TGIF Happy studying

Yay just finished the Psychology and Sociology part of the exam. I should preface this with, I have a degree in psychology and I did not take this timed (roughly 50 minutes lapsed during my test) so that obviously helped me a lot. Raw score 48/59 ~81% Overall impression is that there were 2 types of questions 1. questions that you could either figure out based on the passage or just common sense and 2. questions that required you to know specific theories and definitions. I would say that about 50% of the questions required you to know specific theories or definitions or you had very little hope of getting them correct. Example, Some questions give you an explanation of something and then say, this is an example of what? Then it lists four theories or concepts. If you don't know the theories or the concepts there was no hope. I felt that this section, more than the others required you to be able to recall facts rather than problem solve. The section was 59 questions but it honestly felt like it went by way faster than the other sections. maybe that is because felt like I either knew the answer or i had no clue so that eliminated of thinking time. Anyway. hope this helps you guys. TGIF Happy studying
thank you soooo much for your input!!!

Thank you for all your input on the new MCAT. I too graduated with a BS in Psychology. I took the old test and scored a 22 (6P/8V/8B). It seems you are scoring really well on the new MCAT, do you mind sharing what you got on the old one? Sorry if you answered this already.

Thanks for your time.

I also just graduated with a BS Psychology, this is good to know. Thanks!!

Please please where did you get this practice exam from? Where can I get as many practice exams as possible for MCAT 2015?

Is anyone using study materials for the old MCAT?? I'm signed up for June 19. But I don't know which old materials I should use, and which new ones are worth buying. Also, where can I find as many practice exams as I can??

Please please where did you get this practice exam from? Where can I get as many practice exams as possible for MCAT 2015?
You can buy one on the aamc website $25 but there is only 1 I think there are practice problems too. I imagine using the old tests would be beneficial because you would get practice with topics.

I took the practice exam yesterday and these are my scores:

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 24/59 (41%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 49/53 (92%)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 23/59 (39%)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 31/59 (53%)

Any recommendations for improvement on the sciences?
For physical sciences I ran out of time and wasn't able to do a couple of passages so I guessed. After that I was good on time with everything else. For the behavioral sciences I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. Most of it is terminology so I just need to memorize the glossary at the back of the prep book haha.

I'm taking the MCAT in April. Advice for science improvement is very much welcomed.

Hey guys I hope everyone is doing well! I don't know if you guys have checked out the Kahn academy but they are working with AAMC (I believe) and have some great resources. Also I have talked to a lot of people and worked on some practice problems and the general consensus is that the new MCAT is geared toward being more applicable to human systems. For example on the old mcat you would get physics passages that were completely unrelated to he human body etc. it seems to me that they are now testing knowledge as it relates to the body and its systems. For example one of the Kahn academy questions deals with muscle movement and integrates physics into that instead of asking you about a wooden block and pulley system. From what I have seen, I would be excited to take the new version of the test as it seems more applicable to what we are actually trying to accomplish. I had an adcom tell me that their school did not even really care about the physics and chemistry scores as much as the VR and BS because a lot of the questions were irrelevant (I.e. One of the practice test problems dealt with earthquakes...???) I believe the hope is that he new test will be better for both applicants and schools. If anyone wants to set up a study group let me know and we can get something in the works. It's a great way to stay on track and be efficient. I studied with someone from New Mexico last year via Skype and it was a lot of fun!
It's true that the new exam is gearing questions toward actual biological systems. The AAMC writes that kinematics (physics concept) is on the exam. I still have not figured out how it could relate to biological systems. Does anyone see how kinematics could relate to biological/physiological systems?

What are your recommendation to reading a CARS passage effectively?

What are your recommendation to reading a CARS passage effectively?
Hi RH8448 if you scroll up the screen a little bit you will see a post I made that has 4-5 tips about what I do for the CARS section... I think i called it VR or critical reasoning. Hope this helps! Good LUCK!

For physical sciences I ran out of time and wasn't able to do a couple of passages so I guessed. After that I was good on time with everything else. For the behavioral sciences I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. Most of it is terminology so I just need to memorize the glossary at the back of the prep book haha.

I'm taking the MCAT in April. Advice for science improvement is very much welcomed.
Hi Hayayah,
I would recommend looking over the old AAMC practice tests. Usually less than a 50% suggests content knowledge is missing. You clearly did very well on the CARS so you know how to take the test. I would maybe consult Kahn academy and really focus on learning the science material as it does not appear that you are having a strategy issue. However I will say that I am not the most well versed in the science portions, at least not physics and chem, but you can really solve about 50% of the problems just by consulting the passages. i used to always run out of time on the chemical and physical sciences. I hate them GRRR....and it is still my worst score. You might also try consulting your old text books. I used the outline from AAMC of topics and went through my text books and read about each one when I studied last year and then decided not to take the exam. Hope this helps! Happy Studying and JUST KEEP SWIMMING

Does anyone know when July tests open up for registration? I tried to register for June today and all seats were taken

can anyone share the link for the practice exams on the AAMC website? It seems i cannot find them. I try and search for practice exams, but nothing seems to show up? Frustrating...

It is very interesting to me that people would take the test straight away without serious time put into comprehensive content review. What was the rationale? I was and am under the impression that diagnostics are pointless until one has thoroughly gone through the entirety of the content to be tested. The reason is, quite simply, of course you will be lacking in several areas. Simultaneously, there is no way to determine that you are 100% perfect on a given sub-topic within a subject -- even if you happen to have gotten all questions on the practice test pertaining to said sub-topic correct. The only reason I could see doing this is for purposes of testing innate, "cold" knowledge, but again I don't see how this is useful whatsoever. What matters is how well we can study for this thing, not how prepared we happen to be without any study whatsoever. That is not how we will enter the real exam. Therefore, real test-taking conditions are not being adequately simulated here. On top of that, the official preparatory materials we've been provided with are sparse at best. I don't see why they should be used up so quickly, and again in a state that is not even remotely close to the state we will be in just before taking the exam.

The general habits of those in the 30+ thread (which is still relevant, as the exam has not changed its principle methods but rather the amount of certain content therein), particularly those with 35+, have been content review, then practice, then re-review of all information pertinent to incorrect answers (and in certain cases even going over WHY right answers were right), then practice, then review, then practice, then review.....

Content review doesn't have to end after the "content review" step of your study plan. That step is really just preliminary in the first place, and usually isn't in depth. I've seen individuals (mind you, only top scorers, all others are [forgive me for saying so] necessarily irrelevant as examples) who have broken up the content review into several steps -- a quick skim, a full read, and a re-read, before even practicing at all. I know you probably know this, but here is the main reason I'm saying it: you need to understand that post-content review (entirely done with it, that is), you're still in the infantile-intermediate stage of your study process. What's more, you are now able to actually test something -- that is, how you've retained the information you've learned thus far. When you are doing diagnostics with no previous content review (just what you happen to have kept with you along your studies, which is a generally spotty/imperfect understanding), you are testing how you've retained knowledge from your courses, some of which you haven't touched in a year or two. Testing that knowledge does absolutely nothing for you. You're still going to do content review anyway. Those things you've completely forgotten will be remembered, and those things you've remembered will be solidified. You will still come out of it weak in certain things, but that is the point where you absolutely need to know where you are weak -- you just studied something, but you didn't retain it. That is a problem that needs fixing. Studying something 3 semesters ago and not remembering it is not a problem.

These are some of my reasons for wanting to wait on the practice. But as I've already asked, I'd like to know the rationale of those that took it. I already understand you want to know what areas you are weak in, but again I am wondering how that matters at this point -- pre-content-review. It is already best practice to assume you are weak in everything, even those questions you got correct (some of which could have been entirely out of process of elimination 50/50 luck). Another point of view I've thought of, because I would think this way myself, is a fear perspective. One may be afraid to score quite badly after all of the hard work they've put into content review, so instead they want to get the shock of scoring badly immediately. This does two supposed things -- first, it kicks the person into shape, when they realize how terribly unprepared they are, and second, with the understanding that improvement will be made during content review (because all of that is yet to come), there is evidence that supports the idea that one should have hope. But again, I've already covered this point -- content review is the earliest stage of the study process. It's not guaranteed to get you scoring 30+ immediately. Practice and post-game-analysis (as they call it) is where the magic tends to happen. Check the successively posted scores of the individuals' practice tests on the 30+ thread for confirmation.

Naturally, though, I'm a twerp. I don't know the first thing about what I'm talking about, and my data is shoddy at best -- all I have to go on are personal anecdotes, which is lame from a data accuracy perspective. But apparently it's all I've got. Let me know if you've got some other, good ideas. I'm a supporter of the "shout it out and if it kind of makes sense we should do it because it might be just the thing we were looking for" approach that has led to the greatest discoveries/innovations of our generation. As of right now, I go off of what those who have been successful have told us - if they're not just random individuals (not premed, haven't actually taken the MCAT) super invested in derailing a pre-med's discovery of proper study methods for the MCAT. This is why I go off the aggregate homogeneous study methods -- quite a few of them would have to be lying to throw off the conclusions from the data, which is much more unlikely than just one or two indivudals lying (which is very possible).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

What materials are you using to study for the april exam? Are you taking a prep course?

I'm using Examkrackers review books and nothing else:

chem and phys foundations: 58%
CARS: 85%
bio/biochem foundations: 61%
psych/soc: 83%

I'm taking the test in April and obviously am preaching to the choir when I say that I don't know what these raw percentages mean. In light of that, has anyone found a good way of working through the biochem on this exam without ever having taken a biochem class?