MCAT 2015 Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 23/59 (39%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 31/53 (58%)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 30/59 (51%)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 25/59 (42%)

Members don't see this ad.

It is very interesting to me that people would take the test straight away without serious time put into comprehensive content review. What was the rationale? I was and am under the impression that diagnostics are pointless until one has thoroughly gone through the entirety of the content to be tested. The reason is, quite simply, of course you will be lacking in several areas. Simultaneously, there is no way to determine that you are 100% perfect on a given sub-topic within a subject -- even if you happen to have gotten all questions on the practice test pertaining to said sub-topic correct. The only reason I could see doing this is for purposes of testing innate, "cold" knowledge, but again I don't see how this is useful whatsoever. What matters is how well we can study for this thing, not how prepared we happen to be without any study whatsoever. That is not how we will enter the real exam. Therefore, real test-taking conditions are not being adequately simulated here. On top of that, the official preparatory materials we've been provided with are sparse at best. I don't see why they should be used up so quickly, and again in a state that is not even remotely close to the state we will be in just before taking the exam.

The general habits of those in the 30+ thread (which is still relevant, as the exam has not changed its principle methods but rather the amount of certain content therein), particularly those with 35+, have been content review, then practice, then re-review of all information pertinent to incorrect answers (and in certain cases even going over WHY right answers were right), then practice, then review, then practice, then review.....

Content review doesn't have to end after the "content review" step of your study plan. That step is really just preliminary in the first place, and usually isn't in depth. I've seen individuals (mind you, only top scorers, all others are [forgive me for saying so] necessarily irrelevant as examples) who have broken up the content review into several steps -- a quick skim, a full read, and a re-read, before even practicing at all. I know you probably know this, but here is the main reason I'm saying it: you need to understand that post-content review (entirely done with it, that is), you're still in the infantile-intermediate stage of your study process. What's more, you are now able to actually test something -- that is, how you've retained the information you've learned thus far. When you are doing diagnostics with no previous content review (just what you happen to have kept with you along your studies, which is a generally spotty/imperfect understanding), you are testing how you've retained knowledge from your courses, some of which you haven't touched in a year or two. Testing that knowledge does absolutely nothing for you. You're still going to do content review anyway. Those things you've completely forgotten will be remembered, and those things you've remembered will be solidified. You will still come out of it weak in certain things, but that is the point where you absolutely need to know where you are weak -- you just studied something, but you didn't retain it. That is a problem that needs fixing. Studying something 3 semesters ago and not remembering it is not a problem.

These are some of my reasons for wanting to wait on the practice. But as I've already asked, I'd like to know the rationale of those that took it. I already understand you want to know what areas you are weak in, but again I am wondering how that matters at this point -- pre-content-review. It is already best practice to assume you are weak in everything, even those questions you got correct (some of which could have been entirely out of process of elimination 50/50 luck). Another point of view I've thought of, because I would think this way myself, is a fear perspective. One may be afraid to score quite badly after all of the hard work they've put into content review, so instead they want to get the shock of scoring badly immediately. This does two supposed things -- first, it kicks the person into shape, when they realize how terribly unprepared they are, and second, with the understanding that improvement will be made during content review (because all of that is yet to come), there is evidence that supports the idea that one should have hope. But again, I've already covered this point -- content review is the earliest stage of the study process. It's not guaranteed to get you scoring 30+ immediately. Practice and post-game-analysis (as they call it) is where the magic tends to happen. Check the successively posted scores of the individuals' practice tests on the 30+ thread for confirmation.

Naturally, though, I'm a twerp. I don't know the first thing about what I'm talking about, and my data is shoddy at best -- all I have to go on are personal anecdotes, which is lame from a data accuracy perspective. But apparently it's all I've got. Let me know if you've got some other, good ideas. I'm a supporter of the "shout it out and if it kind of makes sense we should do it because it might be just the thing we were looking for" approach that has led to the greatest discoveries/innovations of our generation. As of right now, I go off of what those who have been successful have told us - if they're not just random individuals (not premed, haven't actually taken the MCAT) super invested in derailing a pre-med's discovery of proper study methods for the MCAT. This is why I go off the aggregate homogeneous study methods -- quite a few of them would have to be lying to throw off the conclusions from the data, which is much more unlikely than just one or two indivudals lying (which is very possible).

Well, first off, you're assuming everyone in this thread took the exam as a diagnostic. (Obviously isn't the case if you read the comments and see many are taking the MCAT in April or May). And I've gone through content review and going back through the exam my problem isn't content it's just application and critical thinking. So you can spend as much time as you want mastering content but if you don't practice tests and passages you're not going to get very far.

As for taking a diagnostic before studying, yeah, that's pretty pointless unless you know for sure that you're weak in a certain area and strong in others. Then the diagnostic will either reinforce your belief or tell you how it really is.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys are we screwed if we don't take a class? I'm not sure where to get the full length practice tests. I've heard negative things about Kaplan and Princeton, in that they are similar to the old mcat, not new. I'm so worried about having practice materials

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys are we screwed if we don't take a class? I'm not sure where to get the full length practice tests. I've heard negative things about Kaplan and Princeton, in that they are similar to the old mcat, not new. I'm so worried about having practice materials

If you take a class, you will still have the same Kaplan/Princeton materials. Kaplan is pretty convincing in that they have updated their tests to be in line with 2015 MCAT guidelines.

Just took the princeton review practice test 2 PS. It sucks. nothing like the new mcat. there were like 2 questions on biochemistry. the rest were straight from the old mcat. i hate life.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, first off, you're assuming everyone in this thread took the exam as a diagnostic.

Exactly. Don't take this as a snappy comeback (I just mean to say it practically): I did read the thread in its entirety. That was what prompted the response. It was directed at those that took the practice exam already and then mentioned they haven't yet studied certain subjects (see below). Although, perhaps I should have been more explicit.

- I did zero touch up on the psychological-behavioral section and found this section seems to test your recall of different types of responses, theories, and major people. Did not seem terrible and should be relatively easy to prepare for.

I practically didn't take any psychology/sociology course, so I treated that section like I treated the CARS. I'm not too deep into content study yet, just a few chapters of the biochem, couple biology, organic, chem and physics.
And this last one has the implication of not having studied for the behavioral sciences section prior to taking the practice exam. The underlined portion indicates something the poster will do, not something she has already done.
For the behavioral sciences I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. Most of it is terminology so I just need to memorize the glossary at the back of the prep book haha.

Those individuals were the ones the previous post was directed toward. As for those practicing after content review, I can only say that their actions are in line with those that were successful on the previous exam (35+).

So I just took the AAMC 2015 sample test as a diagnostic and was hoping to get some feedback from other people who have taken it. I really wish there was some way to understand exactly what these scores mean

Scores:

chemical and physical foundations: 63%
CARS: 83%
bio: 80%
psych: 75%

So I just took the AAMC 2015 sample test as a diagnostic and was hoping to get some feedback from other people who have taken it. I really wish there was some way to understand exactly what these scores mean

Scores:

chemical and physical foundations: 63%
CARS: 83%
bio: 80%
psych: 75%

In the back of the EK books they have percentages that are somewhat hypothetical, but designed to give you an idea of what percentage pertains to a particular score. Overall it looks like you scored an average of about 75%, which they say should fall between a 508-512. Again, just hypothetical..hope it helps!

Exactly. Don't take this as a snappy comeback (I just mean to say it practically): I did read the thread in its entirety. That was what prompted the response. It was directed at those that took the practice exam already and then mentioned they haven't yet studied certain subjects (see below). Although, perhaps I should have been more explicit.

And this last one has the implication of not having studied for the behavioral sciences section prior to taking the practice exam. The underlined portion indicates something the poster will do, not something she has already done.

Those individuals were the ones the previous post was directed toward. As for those practicing after content review, I can only say that their actions are in line with those that were successful on the previous exam (35+).
obviously I'm not just going to stop there. I'm heavy into my content study now. I'm not going to wait until I'm done doing content study before I start practicing just because of a single section. The whole point of taking a diagnostic is to know what your weaknesses are; is it details or exam taking skills. The MCAT is not a details based exam, majority of those who are successful are those that are good with taking exams. For this new MCAT, stamina will be needed especially, if you can seat through 7 hours for an exam you haven't studied for and you get above 65%, imagine how well you'll do when you are done with content. No, I'm not going to wait till I'm done with content before I start taking practices tests, that makes no sense. Besides everybody is different, this is how I go about my daily study practices in my regular classes, and my GPA tells me that I've been successful and the MCAT will be no different; I can promise you that.

Has anyone taken the Next Step practice test? Just curious. Also, anyone know of any other practice tests out there besides the AAMC one? With only one AAMC practice test, I'd like that to be the last one I take before the test so I don't take it without the necessary content review. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
In the back of the EK books they have percentages that are somewhat hypothetical, but designed to give you an idea of what percentage pertains to a particular score. Overall it looks like you scored an average of about 75%, which they say should fall between a 508-512. Again, just hypothetical..hope it helps!

Thanks!

Can you maybe post EK's estimated percentages and correlated scores?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone else feel like the CARS section of this MCAT2015 sample test is way easier the verbal sections of past exams? I only got 3 wrong out of the 53 questions. On the other hand, I would often get ~8 wrong out of the 40 questions on the old AAMC practice questions.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like the CARS section of this MCAT2015 sample test is way easier the verbal sections of past exams? I only got 3 wrong out of the 53 questions. On the other hand, I would often get ~8 wrong out of the 40 questions on the old AAMC practice questions.

Yes, it was wayyyyyyyyy easier than anything on the older practice tests. I felt that all the questions were straight-forward and its almost as if you didn't really have to think about anything. I'm worried that it's not an accurate representation of what we'll see on test day, which is scary! lol That's why I'm not really focusing on that CARS section, and instead doing all the old verbal stuff. And then hey if the test day actually does turn out to be like that sample exam, I'll be very happy!

Does anyone know if there's a forum discussing some of the passages and questions on this new sample test? I'd like to talk about some of the questions and get other input because I can't seem to understand their 1 sentence explanations...

Can someone please help! Verbal has completely trumped me. EK method seems to work better though i took Kaplan course. However, my score remains around the same miserable range. I know the basics..avoid extremes, read carefully, map, find main idea, etc..I just cant seem to identify a way to move from my poor score. I strongly believe its my approach? Help!

Can someone please help! Verbal has completely trumped me. EK method seems to work better though i took Kaplan course. However, my score remains around the same miserable range. I know the basics..avoid extremes, read carefully, map, find main idea, etc..I just cant seem to identify a way to move from my poor score. I strongly believe its my approach? Help!
I struggled with verbal, and still do struggle with verbal (philosophy&history). First off, you need to find what works best for You. I read alot of other Sdners posts about verbal techniques. I found what worked for me: 1) start out no timing, but keep in mind you will be timed. Just put away that timer [I've been using online-stopwatch.com], and do the passage. Go back to the passage and review the ones I got wrong. Do this until I get everyone right or only one wrong. 2) start out with 15 minutes timing per passage. I like to try a 3-5-7 every other day, 3 passages at sometime in the morning, 5 passages for lunch, 7 passages for dinner. 3) Keep practicing your way, after you have found it.

To focus skills, like I said I read alot how other people worked and try to find what is best for me. I also looked at TPR and Kaplan and googled how to increase reading skills. I bought (get this) SAT verbal books because it has been almost 2 decades since I've taken a standardized exam, minus certification for work, and when I took the SAT at 14y/o I didn't take it seriously like the MCAT. So, I whipped through the SAT books and that gave me confidence. I went back to MCAT verbal passages (I have EK, BR, Kaplan, TPR, alot of them) and started with outlining a few passages. If I found myself needing to outline alot of passages, I flipped to NYTimes, Economist, and some random academic free history journals. I did not answer questions, just outline. I went back to the outline to see if I understood the overall scope. Then I timed outlining passages to 3-4 minutes. Then, I did untimed outlining with either (1) glancing at questions first to jot down (doctorinasaree notes this, (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbsies-the-draupadi-method.1099968/) sorry, I'm not sure how to embed link.. maybe someone else has read it?) topics or (2) just dive into the passage. Then, when I was confident with that, I did timed passages. My original verbals were 4-6 now I'm like 9-11s? 11 may be lucky, but I feel that at least I'm in a more competitive range. I studied alot for the old MCAT and have been studying intensely for this one, but its getting near the end, and I'm trying to not feel so relieved before actually doing the exam! Doh

Also, I read in a googlebooks somewhere that if you want to improve your verbal score, an estimate of 3 hours per week for three months should bring your score up 1 point. Idk if this is accurate, but keeping a timer might be motivating when sludging through those passages.

I hope this helps at all.

Just about to start my practice exam #4, getting up in the morning is so rough. I figured if I force myself to go to bed by like 11pm I should fall asleep by like 12am, then wake up at 6:10am. After a few days hopefully I will adjust. I have 3-5 alarm clocks at any one time...the repercussions of that overnight and second shift differential. LOL

I struggle
d with verbal, and still do struggle with verbal (philosophy&history). First off, you need to find what works best for You. I read alot of other Sdners posts about verbal techniques. I found what worked for me: 1) start out no timing, but keep in mind you will be timed. Just put away that timer [I've been using online-stopwatch.com], and do the passage. Go back to the passage and review the ones I got wrong. Do this until I get everyone right or only one wrong. 2) start out with 15 minutes timing per passage. I like to try a 3-5-7 every other day, 3 passages at sometime in the morning, 5 passages for lunch, 7 passages for dinner. 3) Keep practicing your way, after you have found it
Just about to start my practice exam #4, getting up in the morning is so rough. I figured if I force myself to go to bed by like 11pm I should fall asleep by like 12am, then wake up at 6:10am. After a few days hopefully I will adjust. I have 3-5 alarm clocks at any one time...the repercussions of that overnight and second shift differential. LOL

LOL Eeeh Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean though. I have a hard time going to bed at night ( i stay up and study). I feel like thats all i do now-a-days. Cant wait to be done with this wall that's in my path (MCAT).
You are AWESOME for writing this! I really appreciate it. I will employ those ideas and see how things go. My verbal had gone up for one fL then for the next few it went down by like 5 points and i couldnt figure out what was going on. I still cant, but I will keep testing methods until I find what works for me. In the mean time I will borrow what you did and give it a go to see if it works for me too!.
Congrats on bring your verbal up though! That's a big jump!

If you dont mind, I have a few questions for you:

1) How long did it take you to improve? I hope you dont say months lol

2) So you started off with no timing, then 15 mins..what did you end up at with timing? Thats a big problem for me. Also, When you were using the stopwatch, how long did you initially take with your passages and how were you able to bring down the time? (Perhaps im being redundant)

3) what FL are you doing? I only have the Kaplan ones and I am down to my last few without having improved my score.

4)When you are reading the passages that you have a hard time with, how do you grasp the main idea if you dont understand the passage? For instance, the literature, history and economics passages drive me nuts! I cannot comprehend it nor spot the main idea of it in the amount of time given. I find that when i go back and try to spot the main idea un timed, I can most often find it because im not rushing through words.

Last edited:
Here's a little more scoring info.
Scoring total 528
Expected mean 500
Section expected mean 125 (50th percentile)
Section scores 118-132
124= 45%
125= 50%
130= 97%
132=100%

So I would say you want your % to be at least a 50%. From what I read, the new mcat is geared toward helping those who are in the middle. Because data shows that people who scored a 24 or greater on the old mcat were able to be successful in med school and on USMLE tests. We have all known this forever but if you present a 24 to med schools most wouldn't even look at you. That's what they say the new test is trying to avoid. Let's hope this is true. I respect AAMC for this. View attachment 189806

So are you saying that scoring approx ~50% on the AAMC mcat 2015 that is posted, will roughly equate to ~125?

I doubt that a 130 is going to be correlated with the 97th percentile. It'll probably be closer to the 99th. With the new format of the test where no one knows what to expect/there is not much accurate prep material out there, we can definitely expect to see the distribution of scores to fall closer to the center and "squeeze" inside. The mean score is also expected to be pushed back to the original center; the old MCAT saw the mean increasing annually. You can bet that the average will once again be readjusted to what it is "supposed to be" which is now a 125.

I'm going to say that a 129 will be closer to what a 13 used to be.

So are you saying that scoring approx ~50% on the AAMC mcat 2015 that is posted, will roughly equate to ~125?
Nooo not at all. Percentiles have absolutely nothing to do with percentage... The percentiles will be set by us the weekend of the test. For example, if it's the worst test in the world and the highest anyone gets is a 50% then those people will be in the 99th percentile. Similarly, if the test is the easiest thing ever and everyone gets 75% right at least then the percentiles would shift wayyyy up. Extreme examples but just to show you!

1) How long did it take you to improve?
I was hoping to take it Jan 13th. I have been working on improving since then. I work on it, then get discouraged, then go back to it. Its more of a personal/emotional thing.
what did you end up at with timing?
I timed online-stopwatch.com or another timer. Google interval timer. 30s question review. 4 min reading passage. 4 minutes or less answering questions. Then, if that didn't work I did 8:30 per passage down to 7:00 per passage. Google 'loop timer' and did like 4-5 passages at a time. If the timer went off, I just moved ahead, if I had time to go back, I did. otherwise I guessed or marked those as wrong. I ran through alot of material this way, though.
what FL are you doing?
Kaplan. AAMC. TPR with a verbal book I bought that comes with free practice tests. Also, my favorite was the 'makeup' ones I create for myself - same amount of passages for each section from BR, EK, and TPR. I have a ton of old material. Mcat sadly has been a master struggle for me.
main idea if you dont understand the passage
Yes. This before anything else. I was flunking those questions that introduce new material and make you reason on the passages I have difficulty with.

I hope this helps. I'm getting to the zone out part of studying after a while. Oh no! LOL If you feel like you are not doing the best you want to be doing on the actual exam, you can always void it at the end :( it may be a 'waste' of money but you will get an idea of the exam and maybe will help if you have test anxiety. Just keep banging out those answers - start slowly, you will get it after a while. For me I was so lost and frustrated at first. Even if you go to B&N and pickup every verbal book, read through passages just standing there in the bookstore. Idk I hope this helps you!

Okay guys, first ever post here:

here is my score breakdown for the AAMC Practice MCAT:

Chem and Phys: 70%

CARS: 85%

Bio and Biochem: 68%

Psych and Soc: 70%

How should I feel if I am taking the test May 22nd? I am incredibly nervous at this point and I really don't have anything to compare my score off. Thanks!

I was hoping to take it Jan 13th. I have been working on improving since then. I work on it, then get discouraged, then go back to it.

Its more of a personal/emotional thing.

It is definitely an emotional thing! I get caught in my feelings and get frustrated and want to give up, then i remember i was the one that chose this path lol

Believe it or not, your method + the site you sent me to is working for me! I havent done much practice using it (things come up) but i tried it on 1 passage i got 4/5 then tried again and got 3/6 so i was like is this real? So i tried again and look: passage3: 4/5 passag4: 5/5 passge 5: 5/6 passage 6 : 5/6 ! This seems to be working. The time has been ranging from 7.45 to 13:28. with the majority of the time being around 11 minutes for 4 of the 6 passages. ! I say thats pretty good time considering we get 10 minute for each passage. Im still working on time though.

Hope im not disturbing, but
what method do you use for your sciences? ....the bio/biochem and phys/genchem sections.

I hope this helps. I'm getting to the zone out part of studying after a while.

Thats how i have felt the last two weeks. People who arnt taking he MCAT dont understand all i keep hearing is" just take it and see how it goes! Maybe your practice scores arnt reflective!" Well, they are +/- 2 for the most part from what i have come to understand.

the site you sent me to is working for me! I
Sweet!
Hope im not disturbing, but
what method do you use for your sciences? .
Never disturbing. I hope I am helpful. I feel pretty solid in biochem. I am not sure if you are or not. For those, I read the passage, mindful of time. I look over the graphs noting X, Y axis titles, titles of tables, trends in tables, for chemicals I quickly glance to see functional groups and stereocenters. Then do the questions. When practicing, I never use calculator.

It was difficult for me at first to do this because all the forums and test preps tend to be prescriptive, but getting out of that mindset and focus on what I do poorly on is probably the best. I had to constantly review Doppler effect, for some reason I was not getting it. After googling it and reading it over in different contexts by different authors, then I was able to get the overall idea. Focus on your weaknesses. If one is unsure of his or her weaknesses, then a practice test is very helpful.

Okay guys, first ever post here:

here is my score breakdown for the AAMC Practice MCAT:

Chem and Phys: 70%

Bio and Biochem: 68%

Psych and Soc: 70%

How should I feel if I am taking the test May 22nd? I am incredibly nervous at this point and I really don't have anything to compare my score off. Thanks!
Looks good start to me. Up the sciences even a lil and you seem competitive. Good luck May 22nd!

I'm taking the test on April 17th... SO SOON! I just took the AAMC practice test recently released and got the following

upload_2015-4-6_18-55-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-6_18-55-5.png
    upload_2015-4-6_18-55-5.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: 1 users
Sweet!

Never disturbing. I hope I am helpful. .
Absolutely! you are awesome!

I feel pretty solid in biochem. I am not sure if you are or not. For those, I read the passage, mindful of time. I look over the graphs noting X, Y axis titles, titles of tables, trends in tables, for chemicals I quickly glance to see functional groups and stereocenters. Then do the questions. When practicing, I never use calculator.
Ironic part is I was a Bio/Biochem/Bioinformatics undergraduate major and chemistry tutor and minor and now it seems my scores arnt reflective of my knowledge. I guess it true one can know alot and not know how to apply it. And i was pretty darn good at my major too! Oh well, i guess ill just keep struggling till i figure this test out.

Focus on your weaknesses.
Hahaha which one? it seems there is alot(according to FL).

I'm using Examkrackers review books and nothing else:

chem and phys foundations: 58%
bio/biochem foundations: 61%
psych/soc: 83%

I'm taking the test in April and obviously am preaching to the choir when I say that I don't know what these raw percentages mean. In light of that, has anyone found a good way of working through the biochem on this exam without ever having taken a biochem class?

@postbacspec I've been taking practice tests via TPR and I have gotten a general sense on how to calculate the scores (or how TPR does). Those percentages you posted sum to a 509...that's awesome! My tutor, who is certified in all 4 sections (aka he's brilliant) has been tutoring the MCAT for years. He told me a 507 will equate to a 30 on the old test, which I've verified. So you're looking about the low 30s, congratulations! keep up the good work!

For anyone who's curious, take your percentage (don't round up either), multiply that by 15 and add to 117.

So: 30/59 = .50847 x 15 = 7.6 + 117 = 124.6 = 124 on that section.

I'm not saying it's an absolute calculation, but it's generally accurate. Hopes this helps.

@postbacspec I've been taking practice tests via TPR and I have gotten a general sense on how to calculate the scores (or how TPR does). Those percentages you posted sum to a 509...that's awesome! My tutor, who is certified in all 4 sections (aka he's brilliant) has been tutoring the MCAT for years. He told me a 507 will equate to a 30 on the old test, which I've verified. So you're looking about the low 30s, congratulations! keep up the good work!

For anyone who's curious, take your percentage (don't round up either), multiply that by 15 and add to 117.

I'm not saying it's an absolute calculation, but it's generally accurate. Hopes this helps.

out of curiosity I used ur system and and got a score that was 7 points higher than the score Kaplan gave me... idk man

I'm wondering how you've came about this conclusion...

I don't see any way to relate it to predicting a score, not mentioning the fact the score is based off of percentiles, but that it seems to inflate scores quite a bit. IE if I would have a 510 on my exam with my current stats, which are quite low. (64%,85%,73%,64%)

I would love if that calculation was accurate, but there's no way to know what percentile scores will look like until the first wave of scores come in. 50% correct is not the same thing as 50th percentile.

If you think about it like a bell curve, most students should be getting around the middle of the pack, around a 125 per section. If we were to equate that to an analogy of a standard classroom, I would assume that a 125 would be around 75% of questions right or where most "average students" receive their grades (just like a C on an A-F scale). I've taken two TPR FL's so far and, if I got a 126, my %correct would be around 77%, and if I got a 124, my % correct would be around 70%.

If you think about it like a bell curve, most students should be getting around the middle of the pack, around a 125 per section. If we were to equate that to an analogy of a standard classroom, I would assume that a 125 would be around 75% of questions right or where most "average students" receive their grades (just like a C on an A-F scale). I've taken two TPR FL's so far and, if I got a 126, my %correct would be around 77%, and if I got a 124, my % correct would be around 70%.

Pretty much this. I find it horribly frustrating we really have no basis of how well we are or aren't doing. The theoretical scores are nice, but in the end only give us a rough idea of improvement. The past MCAT takers had a plethora of AAMC tests to judge whether they were ready or not; based off of percentiles!

Everyone is similarly disadvantaged, though. It's quite an interesting situation, which doesn't lend itself at all to the sanity of the typical, neurotic pre-med. The number of opportunities to become proficient in the exam has dwindled to next to none, therefore limiting the potential for competitiveness of each candidate - essentially it is a sort of forced equalization. What is different is that those who would have taken ample time to review and master the old plethora of practice materials no longer have such a serious advantage over the others who won't take FL practice as seriously. As a result, the real differences between candidates will be in how extensively they understand content, and how well they adapt to the exam style after having fewer chances to master it; and though this has never alone been sufficient to guarantee high scores in the past, the equalization in competitiveness on the front of actual test practice means that those two factors (content understanding and quick adaptability) will be the "competitive factors" which differentiate students this time around. FL practice cannot play as important a role as it has in the previous few years and won't again until an equivalent amount of practice materials are available for the MCAT2015. This is a very, very strange situation. As far as adaptability, it seems like those this exam "fits" well will be at a significant advantage. That said, there are major differences between how all of us will carry out our content review, and the way some prepare may lend itself better to fast recall/reasoning than for others. So in theory, better students are disadvantaged in that they have less opportunity to widen the gap between themselves and their competitors, but simultaneously their opportunity to establish at least a decent advantage has not been lost depending on how they run their content review/minimal practice opportunities. I'm excited to see how everyone does.

I'm particularly expecting to hear prep company scores were a tad harsh. All these sub-500 scores seem to have everyone in a cold sweat. It's not like you all would have had low 20s on the old FLs (at least I hope not).

Hello all new MCAT-ers! After some terrible procrastination and frighteningly sporadic study efforts over the past few months I just took the AAMC 2015 Sample Test.

Chem/Phys: 44/59 75%
CARS: 48/53 91%
Bio/Biochem: 42/59 71%
Psych/Socio: 44/59 75%

(NOTE: My pacing is way off. I finished Bio/Biochem 20 mins early, Psych/Soci 40 mins early, and CARS 30 min early. Chem/Phys was barely on time- ran out of time. Hope I can tune this in and make better use of time)

The following 7 days will be very full of studying- more content review. I find it mildly entertaining that I am retaking this lovely test because of a very low Verbal score (7) from my first MCAT in January (scored a 10 Phys/Chem and 9 Bio). AAMC practices (4 or so) I took in January I had always scored a 10 or 11 on Verbal so thought that would carry through to test day....

Best of luck to everyone. This thing is a mental beast.
wow nice scores! i'm going to take the FL 2 weeks before. but maybe a practice diagnostic every week or something. what materials did you use?