MCAT 2015 Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 23/59 (39%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 31/53 (58%)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 30/59 (51%)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 25/59 (42%)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken the Next Step practice test? Just curious. Also, anyone know of any other practice tests out there besides the AAMC one? With only one AAMC practice test, I'd like that to be the last one I take before the test so I don't take it without the necessary content review. Thanks!

I took the Next Step Half Length-- got a 495:(

idk man, I have seen so many people scoring sub-500 and or a little bit above 500. cant wait until percentiles come out for april takers so I can gauge
yeah im sight at that 500 range and already feeling burnt out! the struggles. Yeah im waiting on those april scores with so much optimism. Boy do i wish 500 was the new 30. but i highly doubt it. it has been predicted to be 508 ish

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah im sight at that 500 range and already feeling burnt out! the struggles. Yeah im waiting on those april scores with so much optimism. Boy do i wish 500 was the new 30. but i highly doubt it. it has been predicted to be 508 ish
508 is like 90 percentile according to aamc (hypothetical), so a '30' would be closer to 506 imo

Ditto, cannot wait to see how April test takers did.

506 or whatever is 30, I just want to know how accurate Kaplan scoring is. Cause ant no one getting a 506 on those fl from what I have seen. On the old test people scored 33s and 35s on Kaplan fl.....

506 or whatever is 30, I just want to know how accurate Kaplan scoring is. Cause ant no one getting a 506 on those fl from what I have seen. On the old test people scored 33s and 35s on Kaplan fl.....
LLS preach!

id like to know too cus i dont wanna use my actual AAMC full length until the end, but i dont wanna keep feeling defeated after every kaplan FL. im sweating crack above a 500.

Last edited:
Ditto, cannot wait to see how April test takers did.
im just siting here laughing(nervous) because that was suppose to be me. I was either an idiot and could have gotten a good score relative to everyone else or im pretty smart for waiting to see the new scaling. either way i still have to take this damn ego killer and see how it goes. Is anyone else stuck at a specific score?

My score seems to be decreasing!! i never thought that to be possible. what makes it worst is verbal progressively decreases! and im now running out of time on the sections i never use to and find myself guessing through 3-5 passages! in verbal and chem/phys ..

im stumped. Feeling defeated!!

someone advice?

Are you sure? I thought I remembered one guy getting high 20s on Kaplan, and low 40s on AAMC exams.

Can anyone who took the MCAT last weekend offer any insight as to how reflective the practice test was for their exam?

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken about 4 practice fls so far and have only scored greater than 500 once, averaging mostly in the mid high 490s. Just curious but does anyone think schools will accept applicants with scores <500? Hopefully I can bring my scores up soon

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@MurphysLaw92 Whoa, that's exactly the same for me. I used to get 11 on the old Verbal section on any practice test I took, and got the exact same score as you on the new Sample Test in CARS.

I could definitely feel that CARS was longer than Verbal, but I found it a lot less painful. Some of those passages from the old VS section were just so tedious and awful (and I have a background in writing and literature and that didn't help much), and I found these on the Sample Test much more understandable and tolerable. I'd still like to improve my score and not sure exactly how but I def want to focus on this area and see if there is anything I can do to get a little better at it.

@StudyLater

Well, I can only speak for myself on my own reasons for taking the AAMC Sample Test. My reasoning was that what I wanted was to get a real sense of the new exam format (I had previously taken practice AAMC FLs for the old MCAT but couldn't get a seat in my area to actually take the old MCAT before it switched over to the 2015 version). And I wanted to get that sense from the real thing, from AAMC. I knew from the past that the prep company FLs can sometimes be a bit different from the AAMC FLs and I thought (rightly or wrongly) that this might be the case even more now because the prep companies are adjusting to the change too and probably aren't so solid in how to change their practice FLs yet. So all in all, I wanted to know what I was up against, what the new sections looked like, esp CARS and Psych/Soc. So, I took it as a diagnostic (not just for content areas but also looking for what kind of mistakes I was prone to, how my test-taking strategies were helping or hurting me, etc) and to get to know the new format and the changes. I'll be taking the MCAT in September so I may take it again after my content review and after some other practice FLs.

In general, I found it very heavy on the biochem, in both of the hard science sections. As others have said, no more PS passages about planets or earthquakes, but still a fair amount of physics and gen chem. I'm currently reviewing the Phys/Chem section and so far every single question I've missed has had to do with physics (except one). So I know to focus there, esp circuits.

One thing I also noticed is that though some of the passages are difficult to understand, sometimes the questions that go along with those were actually really straightforward, even simple in some cases. So one of the things I'm trying to remind myself is not to get too caught up in understanding everything in a passage. And I don't always even look at the tables/graphs until a question asks me to b/c it's easy to spend a lot of time understanding the data and then have no questions that relate to it. But it is important to know what the table or graph is about so as not to mix things up if there are several in one passage, so if anything, I think reading the caption to the tables/graphs is the key, so you know exactly where to go for what data if you need it (and oftentimes the Q will refer you to a specific one) but don't waste time getting lost on the details if it's not needed.

I was really happy with my results on the Sample Test, though I wish I knew how it would relate to the actual score.

Reactions: 2 users
Just took the official AAMC practice test! My scores:
Chem/Physical Sciences: 40/59...68%
Critical Analysis/VR: 43/53...81%
Bio/Biochemical Foundations: 38/59...64%
Psych/Soc/Behavioral Sciences: 46/59...78%

Are those good numbers? I take the test in June so I have a month to improve. Does anyone know if hose scores are competitive for md schools, or am I in do range? Good luck everyone!

Just took the official AAMC practice test! My scores:
Chem/Physical Sciences: 40/59...68%
Critical Analysis/VR: 43/53...81%
Bio/Biochemical Foundations: 38/59...64%
Psych/Soc/Behavioral Sciences: 46/59...78%

Are those good numbers? I take the test in June so I have a month to improve. Does anyone know if hose scores are competitive for md schools, or am I in do range? Good luck everyone!

Definitely good for DO, need to raise Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem to be competitive for med school. You generally want to shoot for 70%.

Can anyone who has taken the TPR practice tests comment on how useful they were? I don't care about the scoring system, I just want to know if you felt like it was a good use of 8 hours as compared with doing Khan passages or cramming more content. I have 3 unused TPR and can't decide if it will be beneficial to take them -- i.e., if the material they cover is relevant vs. overly hard to the point of not being useful.

Thanks in advance!

TPR is much more in depth than the actual practice test. While this may seem like a bonus because it means you will be forced to know the material better, it is really just a waste of time to learn all the extra. Why not spend those same long hours reviewing over and over again the more basic material you're likely to see? I wouldn't recommend TPR. Try Kaplan.

Can anyone who took the AAMC practice test help? I took the AAMC MCAT 2015 practice test and these were my % of questions answered correctly…am I in bad shape for my MCAT, which is very soon?
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 68% (40/59)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 64% (34/53)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 44% (26/59)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 66% (39/59)

Can anyone who took the AAMC practice test help? I took the AAMC MCAT 2015 practice test and these were my % of questions answered correctly…am I in bad shape for my MCAT, which is very soon?
I am concerned about your CARS and biology scores, especially CARS which was abnormally easy compared to everything else we've seen. Biology is also a concern because the type of questions they ask in bio are also presented heavily in the PS section.

You definitely need to work on raising that biology score. Your other percentages aren't great, but they're not bad!

Hey guys,

Ive just taken the AAMC FL and I think I'm in a good spot, but idk. I didn't do the verbal, last time I got >90 and I felt like I might remember too much. Thank you!

Chem/ Physics -88%
Bio/ Biochem- 86%
Psych/ Soc- 86%

Hey guys,

Ive just taken the AAMC FL and I think I'm in a good spot, but idk. I didn't do the verbal, last time I got >90 and I felt like I might remember too much. Thank you!

Chem/ Physics -88%
Bio/ Biochem- 86%
Psych/ Soc- 86%

Very very solid score IMO. good job.

Hey, I noticed there was some talk about TPR's full length exams. I did the first one today (almost 7.5 hours...incredible) and got a 507 (125, 128, 126, 128). There was more physics and o.chem than I was expecting and I felt some of the questions were too in depth. Also, I felt there was a lot more recall rather than experimental questions (analyzing experiments). Has anyone else taken one of their exams?

taking the mcat june 20th

first official practice test

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 73% (43/59)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 89% (47/53)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 71% (42/59)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 81% (48/59)

what do you guys think? close to 510?

taking the mcat june 20th

first official practice test

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 73% (43/59)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 89% (47/53)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 71% (42/59)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 81% (48/59)

what do you guys think? close to 510?

I think you'll be ok with any score over 70% to be honest. Still haven't taken the official AAMC, but I've heard different things about how it compares to the actual exam. A lot seem to be saying it's easier but others say its representative

This is the response to AAMC's first full-length I would agree with most. I think Raspberry is pretty darn accurate. Based on our analysis of all of the pre-released AAMC MCAT-2015 materials (Official Guide, MCAT-2015 Preview Guide, A guide they released only to advisors that had a few unseen passages, and their first full-length) our interpretation is:

1. Bio and Biochem are heavy; clearly they dominate the exam. However, not more than the OG-2015 says. Biochem will be about 25% of the Chem-Phys (CP) section and 25% of the Biology-Biochem section (BB) [think of it as 1/2 of a section; its a lot of impact on your score]. Bio will be on PsS, but only for brain or nervous system stuff (5-10%). BIO is everywhere because every section but CARS has it and it is 65% of the BB section. In reality, the biochem is tame. It is the kind of biochem you'd learn in a sophomore intro bio...plus a FEW aspects of more advanced biochem from what you'd expect in a 1st Semester Biochem course. It is just that they are going to test it a lot. It is going to seem like a lot of biochem because it is a lot of questions for relatively few topics. We see a lot of data suggesting a trend toward significantly more immune system and regulatory proteins/cytokines/signalling pathways, and cancer/cell cycle reg./apoptosis. We believe this is because of the emphasis on research articles, as these are what dominate most of the primary research they will be using.
HIGH-VALUE BIOCHEM TOPICS: Amino Acids, Amino Acids (twice for intentional emphasis) [you need to be all over -R group chemistry and 100% REJECT Kaplan/other counsel to not worry about abbreviations; know 1-letter and 3-letter], proteins/enzymes/enzyme regulation, metabolism, lipids; drugs will be used a lot as the bio-relevant way of testing several topics.
HIGH-VALUE BIO TOPICS: Molecular/Cell bio generally, Immune System, Genetics, Cancer/Cell Cycle

2. General Chemistry is NOT de-emphasized at all, and O-Chem far less than people are thinking--the test is essentially an ALL-CHEMISTRY-HYBRID First, remember that biochem, genchem and ochem all overlap considerably. Add up the percentage of questions for each: 25% + 30% + 15% = 70% of the CP section! You are going to have a very hard time telling in many cases whether a question is genchem, biochem or ochem--especially when all of them will be bio-related, most likely from a passage about a drug/drug synthesis/drug treatment OR a signalling pathway, which by definition really makes all of it "biochem." The topics list has lots of overlap among the three disciplines, and a very careful analysis of OG-2015 and the solutions to the AAMC full-length revealed to us that the AAMC isn't consistent on what they are "counting" in each category. When they give you a drug molecule, show a synthesis, some graphs, then ask a question about reaction rate/enzyme catalysis, a question about intermolecular forces, a question about bonding, a question about a lab technique, and a question about drugs dissolving in the blood (which they relate to entropy and enthalpy)....did you just do genchem, or biochem, or ochem...ANSWER = you just did MCAT-2015 CHEMISTRY and its really debatable how you want to "count" each individual question (does it matter anyway? THINK: MCAT-2015 = INTERDISCIPLINARY). O-Chem is probably the hardest to strictly classify as o-chem, versus when its actually biochem or even bio-relevant genchem. The MCAT-2015 topics list is no help because on most of these criss-crossing topics they list: OC, BC or BIO, BC, OC or GC, OC as the discipline.
HIGH-VALUE CHEMISTRY TOPICS: Enzymes/Reaction Rate, Thermodynamics, Atomic Structure, Blood as a Solution [blood buffer galore, solubility in the blood, etc.], Lab Techniques [under OChem in the topics list, but expect more biochem techniques like SDS-Page, western blotting, protein separations, PCR, etc.]

3. Physics is NOT as de-emphasized as we all once believed. It is still 25%, or 2-3 of the 10 passages and a quarter of the stand-alones. That's NOT something you can DE-EMPHASIZE in your studies without killing your score. 25% is quite a bit, actually. Here's the KILLER with physics. They took off momentum, and circular/rotational motion, and a few other things, but what came off was small relatively speaking and what is going to be emphasized more are topics in which most students are weak after physics class: lenses/light, fluids/buoyancy, waves [expect a LOT of diagnostic stuff; most of the medical imaging stuff uses electromagnetic waves], electricity/circuits [expect lots of models for how human body stuff is actually a battery, a capacitor, a resistor, etc.]. You still have to understand most of what you did before, there will just be fewer questions rewarding that knowledge. WARNING: We anticipate people will get burned on what they think is off but isn't (i.e., They no longer say "kinematics equations" on the topics list, but there are plenty of topics related to motion such that they are most likely going to ask you something for which you would use translational motion concepts).
HIGH-VALUE PHYSICS TOPICS: Waves/Electromagnetic Radiation of all kinds!! [know this one super-uber-very-well]; Fluids, Circuits

4. Psych-Soc Section is the ODD DUCK (PsS). I shouldn't comment on this section because I dislike it. We at Altius admire the AAMC and the MCAT as an exam for its validity, its consistency, and its WONDERFUL way of testing basic, big-picture CONCEPTS while de-emphasizing memorization. That ship pretty much sailed for the new PsS. Its almost a separate exam. It is MEMORIZATION on steroids. There are undercurrents of the normal AAMC critical-thinking style, but NOTHING like the other two sections. It it is strange to see question after question (VERY strange) on an AAMC exam that rewards the examinee for nothing more than REMEMBERING the name of something: a theorist, a definition or a term. It's not going anywhere, so in order to ace it: 1) Take your conceptual understanding and strategy from the other sections, it will still serve you well here in many regards, BUT get your behind in gear and KNOW your psych/soc stuff: KNOW every significant (not necessarily major, just significant) psychologist and sociologist mentioned in the textbooks, every theory, every "sociological" or "psychological" perspective, every phenomenon, and pretty much any notable term or definition. They are going to straight up ask you to pick them by name, or if they feel really conceptual, give you a scenario/description and ask you to identify which of four terms/theories/perspectives the scenario in the stem "is an example of." Don't worry about graphs and figures, they are about 10 TIMES easier than the ones on the other two sections.
HIGH-YIELD PsS TOPICS: Hmmm....knowing every famous psychologist or sociologist and all their theories. You will definitely see a lot of: 1) Brain Region Questions, 2) Nerve cell/CNS/neurotransmitter questions, and 3) Learning/Memory/Conditioning questions

That's my $0.02

Reactions: 7 users
and honestly, our brains only remember what they find important

so make the info matter to your brain-

for example:
when doing chemistry or biology, I make a story in my head that make it easy to not only absorb,
but also build on the info

Also
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

thats the official 2015 MCAT content pdf

use it to break the test into concepts and objectives
and those will guide your studying

I did notice that the responses to the May MCAT are implying tha there was more application in the psych/soc section and not just memorization. April testers talked a lot about memorization of theories and terms and theorists. So perhaps it's moving to a more application and interpretation type of section?

Oddly I got 80% right on the sample test with almost no knowledge. I was expecting more like 30%. Some of that was luck but a lot was sort of reasoning about what words mean, like serial position effect sounds like it has to do with where things are placed in a series, or the prefix "a" usually means without so let me find an answer choice that fits that, etc. So much could be figured out in those sorts of ways.

For contrast I took the Altius free half-length diagnostic and got sth like 54% correct in psych/soc but I think it's a much better representation of my actual abilities in that section since I really don't know anything yet in that area, esp about research methods. I'm a non-trad, I took intro psych ten yrs ago and soc in high school. My content review will heavily focus on this area and I'm going to make flash cards for the vocabulary and people, to do more straight up memorization of what I don't know.

I did think there was a fair amt of gen chem, o chem and physics on the AAMC sample test. I'm also really partial to o chem and find it hard to separate out from biochem. I'm in a year-long biochem sequence and didn't rely so much on memorizing so much as what I like to call chemical reasoning. If you know the o chem principles really well you can figure a lot out w/o having it all perfectly memorized. All that to say it's possible I saw more orgo in the sample test b/c I think of biochem in orgo ways. But there was def some straight up o chem, gen chem and physics, in stand alones and passages.

Hi everyone! Happy to share my strategies. Let me first start off by saying that I have very mild dyslexia, but even still reading can be a little tedious. Luckily I've had A LOT of practice and worked on it so hard for so long that I don't have any problems and often do pretty well on verbal reasoning sections because I've had to work so hard. That being said here are the strategies I have developed.
1. Read the entire passage. Don't focus on every word but actually read the entire passage. During this time you should develop an overall impression of the theme of the article, the main points and the attitude of the author. There will be questions that address this and you will miss them if you don't read the whole passage. You will waste time trying to figure out the answer by searching for answers without reading the passage. Jot down the main theme and the attitude as reference for later.
2. Stay focused. This is a long tedious section and I realize saying stay focused is obvious, but it's also really hard to do so here are things you can do. Highlight as you read. Read out loud. I cannot stress how helpful this is. Do it quietly but you'll find you read faster and are able to stay focused. In between each passage take a deep breath to refresh.
3. Watch for key words. I.e. "Nearly all with, Rare exceptions" does not mean all. The attitude and key words in the passage will often be reflected in the answers.
4. When questions refer to specific paragraphs read the last sentence of the preceding paragraph, the entire paragraph in question and maybe the first sentence of the following paragraph. This might not be necessary each time but at least read the entire paragraph in question.

These are just things that work for me. They may not work for you so try to come up with a plan of attack. Maybe it uses all of these tips maybe none. But having a strategy is crucial. If you are consistent and tackle each passage with the same strategy you will save a lot of time. Starting over at the beginning of each passage and trying to figure out your plan will kill you. Feel free to send me questions you missed if you want to discuss. Just keep swimming!

I dont know if youve since taken the real mcat but i agree with your strategies just took the practice test under real conditions as a brutal diagnostic with 87% CARS, 58% chem/physics, 58% bio/biochem, and 63% psych/soc. like you i had taken the old mcat and am applying with current scores this next cycle even though i completely bombed PS with a 6.

1. cannot emphasize reading entire passage like you would a normal article but with focus and eye for the main idea and attitude/POV of the author - also bare in mind tone.
2. use question stems to help with answer prediction..eliminate obviosuly wrong answers and pick something if you aren't sure then move on
3. DO NOT waste time reading questions before reading the passage. DO NOT jump around passages looking for easy to read ones.
4. before every passage close your eyes take a breath or two and count to 5 or 10 depending on how much time you have and your ability to pace yourself. This brief counting allows you to focus on the next passage without getting fatigued or distracted in the middle of the passage and having to start over reading. Start reading the passage and don't stop for anything until after answering all questions for that passage. repeat

Man, everyone was saying that the AAMC practice test was easy! I just finished it. Before this, I had taken Princeton Review tests 1, 2 and 3. Got like a 503, 504, and a 506.

Official 2015 AAMC Practice Test

Chemical/Physical: 76% (45/59)
Critical Analysis: 87% (46/53)
Bio/Biochem: 81% (48/59)
Psych/Soc: 85% (50/59)

No idea how I did that well in Psych/Soc. I read the Princeton Review Psych Review this week, but I felt like this test had specific things I had never seen before. I haven't really studied physics/chem at all, since I heard all of the prep companies got it wrong with that stuff. Luckily, I have taken graduate physiology and biochemistry, so most stuff is familiar. Still some very specific things that were annoying. This is the best I have ever done in Verbal. Very proud. Rather than scrambling to finish 2 passages with like 9 minutes left, I still had 30 minutes left for my last two passages. I've heard people say it before, but I finally realized it's all about just grasping the main argument. Screw the details, just know where they're at.

I'm hoping to hit a 515 on the big day, June 20th!

So I just took the AAMC practice test after reviewing using the Kaplan books. Got a 508 on my first practice Kaplan test and here's my breakdown for the AAMC one:
Physical: 88%
CARS: 85%
Biological: 86%
Behavioral: 85%
I felt like the Kaplan test was much more difficult and more focused on interpreting the passages and figures than AAMC's. Anyone else taken these tests or have any opinions on how these scores might translate into an actual score? I'm taking the test on June 19th, so not a ton of time left to prepare!

I have been using Kaplan for prep and I am already 5 FL deep but the scores are not great ~497. I just discover the practice passages the khan academy put out and they seem different in style when compared to kaplan.

Should I keep on with the kaplan FL or spend more time using what passages/questions the khan has???
Note: June test taker!

Hello,

I scored the following without any review whatsoever on the official AAMC MCAT2015 Sample Test:

Chem/Phys: 70%
CARS: 95%
Bio/Biochem: 72%
Soc/Psych: 71%

I would like to know if this is a good place to be. I only used what was in my head from college. A lot of formulas and definitions I forgot. I think my scores were lowered mainly because I forgot theories and amino acid letter codes/properties. As far as my timing, I did the entire test in one sitting and had 10-15 minutes left over on all sections but 40 minutes left over on Soc/Psych. I thought the format was easy to follow, and I did not feel uncomfortable with it. My strategy was to read the passages and highlight critical elements and ideas before glancing at the questions.

EDIT: I looked at old AAMC raw score conversion charts, and it seems that in the old system, 80% questions right on a section corresponded to roughly 9-10 on the estimated scaled score. Is this true? If I ought to get 80% of the questions right in each section to be competitive, then I scored maybe a 28 if looking at the old conversion charts. Thoughts? Thanks.

Thank you. I would appreciate feedback.

ERZ

Last edited:
Took the practice AAMC today
Chem/Phys 59%
CARS 83%
Bio 64%
Psych 78%

Two weeks away from test day. Any good tips on how to review for physical and chem section the best? I have been using Kaplan and old EK.

I took the AAMC Practice test on June 7:
Chem/Phys 76%
CARS 70%
Bio 78%
Psyc 80%

I'm not sure how to bring up that CARS :(

Hey guys I have been going through the kaplan books since about the holidays. But I didn't go to crazy during the school term (2 nights a week) and I only really amped up my studying during the past 5 weeks or so. I am taking my exam in a week and just wanted to offer some advice to people who haven't started studying yet or do not plan on taking the exam until next summer.
1) for one thing if you plan on taking the exam next summer, I recommend getting the books now and using them throughout your studies during the semester. For example: I took a physiology course this past semester and I was able to us the kaplan biology book pretty much as my main textbook. I ended up saving money because I didnt have to buy the actual text for my class. I thought kaplan did a really nice job at getting straight to the point while still giving you all the important details you needed to know. Long story short- My teacher for this class was a quack and I was still able to get nearly a 100 on every exam just by memorizing a few short chapters for each test and than annotating in the margins. If you think about it, you are most likely going to know a certain subject the best either while you are taking that course or right after a big exam so if you can make small notes in the margins of this book set it can end up saving you a lot of time.
2) I enrolled in a kaplan course during these last five weeks and while I thought it was really helpful it was at the same time very pricy. Its hard to say how helpful the course itself was because I felt like I was learning stuff I already knew. But I guess thats whats funny about the MCAT in that you have seen everything that it tests but its just the sheer volume that you have to prepare for. It can get easy to get sucked into assuming that you know something and ignore it but then realize during a full length that you forgot the one small detail that they are asking. So when reviewing I would not focus on only what you got wrong but also on what your strengths are so you can easily identify them on test day to maximize points.
3) The Kaplan (and 0ther companies) study resources are what your really paying for. Just make sure you practice a ton and Do Not get discouraged if you do not do well. My Kaplan FL scores were between 495- 498. I was FREAKING out about my kaplan scores because I felt like I knew everything and still hadn't broken 500. Me and my tutor often laugh at the amount of "weird and obscure" questions the FL's threw out and how terribly worded some where. If there is one thing to take from my message is DONT WORRY about kaplan FLs. My personal belief is that they are no way a comparison to the AAMC's material. I did the AAMC material this week and received between 80-94% on the question packs and on the AAMC I scored:
-Chem/phys: 46/59 78%
-CARS: 42/53 79%
-Bio/Biochem: 50/59 85%
-Pysch/ Soc: 51/59 86%

Overall I am happy with kaplan because it scared me into studying harder and memorizing everything. But do I think they are are good and accurate tests? Not at all. I increased anywhere between 15-35% more questions correct on the given AAMC material but I guess I will find our for sure on friday.

Good luck on your exam. It seems that ~80% in each section is the threshold for expecting a decent percentile rank on the real thing, barring any idiosyncrasies.

Is it just me or are the AAMC question packs ridiculously easy? I can't figure out why they are so much easier than TPR full lengths, or even EK practice passages. Is it just me? I hope I'm not under preparing with the question packs.

Is it just me or are the AAMC question packs ridiculously easy? I can't figure out why they are so much easier than TPR full lengths, or even EK practice passages. Is it just me? I hope I'm not under preparing with the question packs.

The general consensus is that all prep company practice exams are disproportionately harder compared to the real thing. I suppose they tried to be so tough to prepare students as best as possible. Also, I do believe that the AAMC sample test is fairly easy, although I have not tried the question packs or guide questions yet.

EDIT: If it's any consolation, this thread shows people scoring 90-100 percentile on the actual MCAT while scoring consistent 500-505 on the prep companies' FL exams. If you can score at least 80 percentile, you should have a good enough score for most medical schools.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just took my third TPR practice test today and I was wondering if any of you know how accurate their scoring system is. My practice scores for the old MCAT were all 28-30 range but I have consistently scored an avg of 502 on these practice tests. My percent correct per section are as follows.
Physical Sciences: 66%
CARS: 54%
Biology: 74%
Psych and Soc: 63%

Does anyone know what that should correlate to on the new scale? I am convinced the TPR scales are off since they didn't have time to analyze AAMC's percentiles before constructing the exams. Any thoughts? I take my exam in less that 28 days.

Hey guys,

Took the AAMC practice test today and here are my scores:
Chem/Phys = 73%
CARS = 79%
Biology = 51% (Really unexpected)
Psych = 69%

I've taken TPR practice test and my highest score is 495.
My highest score on each part thus far has been:

Chem/Phys = 123
CARS = 124
Biology = 125
Psych = 125

I'm less than 3 weeks from my test (Aug 5) and I've studied all summer so far, so I think there's not much room for improvements. I don't really know how much the practice tests rate in comparison, but what I've seen people generally tend to score a bit higher in the actual test compared to TPR which are ridiculously hard.

Another thing too, I'm from Puerto Rico and schools here tend to go for lower scores than in the US, so a 500-503 is a decent enough score (my guess).

PS. Why is it that Puerto Rico tends to score lower on the MCAT? My first guess is maybe language proficiency? Inferior education? I read these forums where people (that Im assuming are from US) are saying how they scored low because they got a 500 or a 503, when in Puerto Rico they'd be praising such score. In fact, people that score 25-29 in Puerto Rico are considered a guaranteed entry (which equivalent GPA scores) to Puerto Rico medical schools. I really don't understand this discrepancy.

Has anyone taken the Kaplan practice exams? If you don't mind sharing, how did your scores compare from the practice exams to the real exam (if you've already received your scores)?

I can't seem to make past a 125 on each section on the Kaplan exams. Which is frustrating considering I have done significantly better on verbal and biology in the past (10s on the old MCAT).

I just took the aamc practice test:
phys sci 60%
cars 65%
bio/bchem 60%
psych/soc 76%
I added up the scores I got right and it was around a 505...which is my goal, but since theres no score, I don't really know... :shrug: I'm kinda depressed actually, because I'm trying to see if I should postpone til the 23rd. A Kaplan instructor told me to base my scores off of my Kaplan full lengths, but we all know Kaplan has really hard exams.